Travel Clothes Steamers

oneputt18

We have always packed a travel clothes steamer and never had a problem. They were never listed as a prohibited item.

While checking the list of prohibited items, I was surprised to see it has changed and Steamers are now listed.

''Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard''

This must be a recent change, our last cruise was in December and I checked the list back then. (Just making sure wine had been added)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Oh my, I always take a steamer with me:eek: Don't understand why a curling iron is allowed but not a steamer:confused:

Probably because if the did not allow curling irons or flat iron straightners most women would not cruise. I usually do not have a problem with wrinkles in the clothes, but if I had to deal with bad hair, that would be a problem. That would also decrease the photo sales!

Oh my, I always take a steamer with me:eek: Don't understand why a curling iron is allowed but not a steamer:confused:

I will tell you why... Because it's about making more money for Rccl. They want you to pay to get your clothes pressed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For some reason steamers are more apt to create a problem that curling irons. Downy Wrinkle Remover eliminates the need for a steamer.

Just cruised on RCI Freedom 8-25 to 9-1-2013. Tried Downy Wrinkle Remover for the first time due to recommendations on CC; it did nothing, nada for the wrinkles.

I will look into a small steamer - will not pay to have clothes steamed - Princess has laundries w irons, etc. Do not like this on the part of RCI at all. Too much nickel and diming going on.

The wrinkle remover doesn't work too well on polyester, but beautifully on cotton. Fire at sea is a frightening thing, I guess that's why my steamer went to Goodwill.

I used it on 100% cotton and it didn't work! (I don't have anything made of polyester.)

Over the last twelve cruises many many of our MDR tablemates have told me they use a small travel steamer. I have never tried one but when I asked they always said the travel steamer creates less heat than a curling iron or hair dryer which women bring on board.

How could a curling iron which is much hotter or a hair dryer for that matter be less of a risk?

It doesn't makes no empirical or logical sense to me other than finances.

I am not being argumentative or throwing guilt "fire at sea is a horrible thing" when those two are more of a risk.

It just makes no sense.

Edited by Aislinncursala

• 5 months later...

Just got back from Independence of the Seas . They took my steamer as I was going thru security and I had to claim it at the end of cruise...was in carry on so didnt have to go to naughty room....funniest was on debarkation...when they scanned my card the final time a huge alarm went off...I thought I was going to be arrested for something...hahaha....was only a 6 day cruise so managed but not sure what I would have done on a 2 week one...trying to take less cotton outfits and more wrinkle free items..

Recently sailed on the Serenade out of New Orleans and they were taking them away from passengers then. I saw them for pick up at the table after the cruise.

Gee, I always take mine and never thought it was a problem. It is the Joy Mangano travel one and it is plastic and does not get hot at all. I am packing it and hoping for the best for my 16 day cruise.

We leave Friday on the Legend. We have always travel with a travel steamers. There are several types so maybe they are trying to get some wiggle room. DW said if they take the steamer, she will not wear her nice dresses with wrinkles or pay their high fees to be pressed so no Chops or Izumi. I hope they thought this through. I have read this board for 17 years and have never heard of a steamer starting a fire. Just another way to extract money out of their customers.

Learned a long time ago: take the shade off of a lamp, wipe the bulb off (remove dust), then run your clothes over the hot bulb and use like an iron. Make sure the lamp stays on so the bulb stays hot. This was in a travel column many years ago, before steamers!

Learned a long time ago: take the shade off of a lamp, wipe the bulb off (remove dust), then run your clothes over the hot bulb and use like an iron. Make sure the lamp stays on so the bulb stays hot. This was in a travel column many years ago, before steamers!

Hmmm...I think I'll try this at home first and see how it works. I'd rather save the room in my luggage by not packing the steamer.