Be Connected or Not Connected, That Is The Question

peg3632

I have spent hours trying to decide what to do on the Jewell with my Iphone and Ipad. Do I want the cruise deal with AT&T, do I want to buy Wi-Fi with cruise ship? I do like to be able to be in contact with my family but I don't want to pay the high cost. I am considering putting my gadgets on airplane mode or turning off once we sail away from San Juan. I guess I could always give emergency number for a true emergency. I must admit I have an addiction to being connected at all times. I'd love to hear of others experiences or suggestions.

I have spent hours trying to decide what to do on the Jewell with my Iphone and Ipad. Do I want the cruise deal with AT&T, do I want to buy Wi-Fi with cruise ship? I do like to be able to be in contact with my family but I don't want to pay the high cost. I am considering putting my gadgets on airplane mode or turning off once we sail away from San Juan. I guess I could always give emergency number for a true emergency. I must admit I have an addiction to being connected at all times. I'd love to hear of others experiences or suggestions.

We don't take anything but phones and turn them off and put them in the safe for the whole week. If you need to connect for business reasons I'd mention that and you'll get some good feedback here. For us, the cruise is a good reason to completely disconnect:) We've never missed our phones or connections at all, for us it's part of being on VACATION! We give the ship emergency number to relatives if they have to contact us.

I am normally connected 16 hours a day to my laptop, iPad, and iPhone. The first thing I want to do on a cruise is DISCONNECT :-)

iPad and iPhone go in the safe. iPad is only used to back up photos each night and phone is not used. For contact with family we will check email every 2 or 3 days and for emergencies they know how to contact the ship.

Cruising is the only time I can actually unplugged from my job, gadgets, and the world :-)

Cruising is the only time I can actually unplugged from my job, gadgets, and the world :-)

Amen, that's exactly how we feel!!:) We NEVER turn our phones on during a 7 night cruise:) We stay connected during a couple other vacations each year, but the annual cruise is the time to be completely "offline":D

As soon as we leave the pier for the first time, the phone battery comes out. My family has the ship phone number, what can I do anyway?

As for business, my partners can get by without me for a week. If not, that's my own fault. I set my email accounts to "out of office" contact Joe instead.

I look forward to going through the thousand emails when I get back.:eek:

Here's what we did on the Jewel. (We were on the Barbados route, with only 1 sea day). We put our iPhones and iPads on airplane mode. Then, at each port, after returning from our excursions, we were easily able to find places very close to the ship that offered free Wi-Fi with a purchase. So, we bought an inexpensive soft drink or ice cream, and connected to the internet to briefly check email and connect with those back home. We were able to iMessage our family/friends who also had Apple products. Then, we returned to our disconnected mindset until the next day.

we unplug. period.

most I will say is when we are in a US port we will check email on our iPhone using 3G at most.. we will not seek out Wifi free or otherwise. I have been known to quickly post a picture to FB via the iPhone app.

could care less the rest of the time, even with elderly and /or sick relatives. the appropriate people have the emergency number.

this from a person who regularly spends 12 plus hours a day on the internet.. and NOT for work. I went the first 30 years of my life not even owning a computer, let alone a cell phone . I can survive a week off the grid.

We purchased the package for one day, only because if we did it for more, my DH would be constantly checking back with work.

This was a vacation.

DH---checked with family, friends and work (surprise)

DD---chatted non stop with all her friends.

DW (me) checked cruise critic when I had my few seconds on line:eek:

It is amazing how fast 24 hours go

Next cruise

Western Carribean

I am looking for those free hot spots!!!

Sea Ya

I asked some crew members where free wifi is in each port. They will know where to go!!:)

Noted

I am just hesitant about lugging a computer or IPAD with us, we usually do excursions, and too tired to go back to get computer and go back to port.

Guess I will have too!

Thanks

Never to old to learn.

You would think after 4 RCI cruises.....

Sea Ya

In the past, we (well, more me than DH, I'll admit) have used our iPhones intermittently while cruising. I've purchased an international voice plan through AT&T to make phone calls to family members. While in port, I'll check the news and my email if there is wifi.

However, on our next cruise, I'm considering not purchasing a voice plan. Although I've been proactive in the past and called AT&T to discuss the charges, I come home to a larger-than-expected bill. This leads to frustration after a relaxing vacation. Besides, our relatives have the RC Emergency number, if we need to be contacted. As for data, I'm going to refrain from checking emails or the news. Cruising is the only time when I can truly relax and mentally escape. Why would I compromise that by reminding myself about my responsibilities and the realities back home? :rolleyes:

Watch the YouTube video "

". That may convince you to disconnect for the week.

I personally go wireless free on cruises. I still read ebooks, but that is it. The linked video does a fairly good job of explaining why I choose to be that way.

If connecting to your "on land" family enhances your vacation, by all means go for it.

I have enjoyed writing up "live from" posts... which, of course, requires an internet connection.

In the old days you could get unlimited slow speed connection in your cabin, which I would get to share with the kids...

I think they're offering new unlimited programs on some ships agsin...don't know if I'd do that unless I had several people to share it... usually the diamond internet minutes plus perhaps a small package covers my needs...

Also, to save online time, download email to read and respond to offline (and write "live from"posts offline) on my own laptop, then connect and quickly upload everything as fast as possible. You can really stretch your minutes that way, versus reading/writing while online.

Don't know how young folk who live on their phones and thru their dozens of social media apps survive for a week without an internet connection...must be tough!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We take phones and e-readers. Phones stay in the safe (unless we use camera). If we happen to go to a US port (St. Thomas last summer), I will call home once. Appropriate people at home are given ship emergency number. The main reason my husband enjoys cruising is because he is out of contact with work.

We are both retires so no need to connect with work.

We leave the emergency number with 1 or 2 of the kids and that's it.

Vacation for us is disconnecting from the real world and enjoying the new sights and sounds of our temporary environment. Phones go in the safe until we return for embarkation.

To the op, what AT&T package are you referring to? Data roaming& text? My daughter will need wifi access for her iPad on our next cruise to access her school textbooks. Was thinking I would just have to bite the bullet and pay for the unlimited wifi on the ship, as she is missing a few days of school, and so thus will be a bit of a working vacation for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

These current trends of updating your social media on a minute by minute basis reminds me of the "old" days. When you went to visit your relatives, they brought out the movie or slide projector to show film from their vacation.

Nothing is more boring to me than reading about or watching someone else's vacation. Does anyone really think others back home just can't wait to get a cell phone call from your balcony or an email from the Taco stand? Just wondering.

Nothing is more boring to me than reading about or watching someone else's vacation. Does anyone really think others back home just can't wait to get a cell phone call from your balcony or an email from the Taco stand? Just wondering.

I always enjoy seeing my friends vacation pictures "live" on Facebook. I know they enjoy seeing mine as well.

We take our phones and a tablet with us. I think the decision of whether to purchase a plan with your provider or minutes on the ship is a personal decision based on your normal everyday habits and what you enjoy doing. I enjoy reading a few forums and Facebook while on vacation. I do so with moderation but it's a nice relaxing activity for me since I'm not a pool person. I update with some of the top photos for the day or anything interesting we may have done and then I move on and find something else to do. Just because you choose to be connected doesn't mean it has to take over your entire day. :)

I have to be connected via email for work. Phones in safe. Work pays for wifi plan on ship.

I check in every day before breakfast and before dinner.

Family and friends know if they need us that office email is best way to reach me and at the longest I'll see it within 12 hours.

we unplug. period.

most I will say is when we are in a US port we will check email on our iPhone using 3G at most.. we will not seek out Wifi free or otherwise. I have been known to quickly post a picture to FB via the iPhone app.

could care less the rest of the time, even with elderly and /or sick relatives. the appropriate people have the emergency number.

this from a person who regularly spends 12 plus hours a day on the internet.. and NOT for work. I went the first 30 years of my life not even owning a computer, let alone a cell phone . I can survive a week off the grid.

I agree. everything is turned off once onboard. I don't even tell anyone what ship I am on, generally.

I guess I will be one of the lone voices for connection! One of my favorite ways of relaxing is reading the New York Times. My DD and I usually buy a package for 200+ minutes on a 7-day trip so that I can read the NYT with my coffee every morning and she can keep up with the boy-but-not-a-friend back home using an app on her iPhone. This also gives us quiet time in the cabin every day to gather ourselves for the day.

That being said, the WORK-related blackberry goes right into the safe so that the evil blinking red light des not suck me in.

Another one for complete disconnection. Phones are with us, for emergencies (one of us being on fire would qualify as an emergency, nothing less) and we both have our tablets...which we've preloaded with books and only use for reading. There is absolutely nothing I can do about anything anyone wants to contact me with, and chances are I'm on vacation just so I won't have to communicate with some of the people who would want to hear from me.

Archived