Booking Direct vs. Travel Agent

jmak315

Can someone outline the pro's and con's of each? We booked through a travel agent for our upcoming Freedom cruise but have wondered on many occasions if we might have been better off booking directly.

Any ideas?

I can only speak personally of how I have found it. Until my next cruise I have always used an agent and during the last booking and cruise I realised my TA did absolutely nothing for me. She didn't provide information or advice or help, I had done the spade work by knowing what cabin I wanted, the itinerary I wanted etc etc and so she just took the booking and I went along with it. When I upgraded I again said which cabin I wanted and asked her to sort it. I had a phone call from her a little while before the cruise to say all my 'paperwork and tickets' were ready so I trundled round there and couldn't believe it when all she gave me was the ticket booklet which I had already printed out.

At that moment I realised she did nothing at all for me so I would be better doing it myself. I have booked my next two cruises for myself and can modify the booking however I want by myself through RCI. So far so good :)

It depends on if you want to do some work. My wife is a planner and does research on deals. My cousin started the upcoming cruise. She has a TA and the TA got things wrong. She told my cousin she was in a BR (7084) if I remember. That is a window room. She wanted a BR. She didnt know difference between D1 and D2. If this is your job you should know that. When DW looked on their site and compared prices the TA was higher. DW also found a $200 on board credit the TA didn't want to give us. DW also got us aft JS for a great deal. Now ALL of my family has back of the ship.

Pro

Find better deals and not be locked in.

Refund money without penalty.***

Cons

Tell them what you want and the find it(maybe):)

$50 cancelation fee.

I agree hairymelon (how did you ever think of that name?). Last cruise booked through travel agent - $50.00 OBC for the cabin. Thought that it was better than nothing. However, when a price drop occurred 2 weeks later, had to contact her and she arranged.

Then I noticed a really good upgrade available for $150.00 per couple and again had to call her to arrange for me. Lost the $50.00 OBC but did get a lovely balcony so we were happy.

But, it really was an inconvenience to have to call her, wait for her to come into the office, return my call, call cruise line, call me back, etc.

This time I booked directly with RCI and much less stressful. Price just dropped and so simple to call RCI myself as soon as I noticed it. They gave me the discount, sent email to me immediately. All done in 10 minutes from time I checked prices.

I think if you are a frequent cruiser, booking higher end cabins, you probably get really nice perks. But, for myself it is not worth it.

I've booked with RCI direct and through a TA. I prefer booking direct. Although I used to have a TA that I just loved, she switched agencies (apparently she was not able to contact any current clients as to where she went to), I hunted her down and used her again, but when she moved out of our area I just decided to do my own bookings and would never go back. Although many people get OBC, gifts and special dinners, we never got any of those.

I love being in charge of my own reservation. Plus, I've changed staterooms three times (as better and better locations became available) on an upcoming cruise and would probably have driven a TA crazy!

I am a planner also and have our cruise, cabin decided before i call our TA. If your fortunate to find an excellant on and they are there, they can be a tremendous help should you have a problem on your cruise. It comes down to what works for you and stick with it. A couple months ago, she was notified by Princess for my upcoming Coastal, that they had in their words upgraded me from a Mid ship cabin to way forward. She told them ASAP to put me back and unless I was being put in a JS, that to move me to a forward cabin from a Mid ship one is no upgrade. I happend to go into my bookings and noted the change and called her with 30 min of her telling Princess to move me back. I was back in my original cabin immediately of my TA calling them.

If you are insecure and don't know what your doing and have to have "total control" of your reservation, book direct. If you know what you are doing, and want to save a lot of money and have total control over your reservation, book through an online TA. Just remember not all TAs are equal.

Several months ago I booked a Central Park balconey guarantee (C2), on the Oasis of the Seas. Price was exactly the same price as directly through RCL. Only difference is that RCL offered me nothing else. My TA gave me prepaid gratuities for two ($168), dinner for two in a specialty resteraunt ($70), $100 coupon for spa treatments, and a $25 obc. That's $363.

I got my cabin assignment. I didn't like it so I went to their website, found the one I wanted and e-mailed it to my TA. Got it. Price dropped last week. Since we are past final payment, the only thing available was an upgrade. Boardwalk balcony (B1) was the same price so I picked out the one I wanted and e-mailed it to my TA. Got it.

In 28 cruises, I have never talked to a TA. Exucuted everything I wanted over the internet and have missed out on anything, that I'm aware of. I would say I have complete control over my reservation and I've saved a ton of money over the last eleven years we've been cruising.

Like grandgeezer, we've received significant benefits when using a TA. But only if the cruise price is high enough. When booking a real bargain-basement cruise, the perks don't add up to enough to be worth not booking directly.

Here is our current scenario:

Booking: Allure D4 (oceanview balcony) for 3 guests, total $2397 before taxes/fees

Perks:

- Paid gratuities for two: $168

- Dinner for two in a specialty restaurant: $60

- Spa voucher: $100

- OBC: $75

- One soda package: $40 (I think?)

Total value of perks: $443

That all said, you have to be sure to use a reputable TA that knows their stuff, or you can end up very frustrated! And I don't like having to use a go-between for making changes to the reservation, but it has never been more than a personal annoyance to do so. Haven't lost a cabin I wanted or anything like that. My own "line" for when it is worth it to use a TA is probably when the perks are 10% or greater of the cost of the cruise. I don't know though...I might have used one on this trip for $150 of perks? Maybe? Can't argue with $443 though!

It has changed over the years. It used to be that you could get a better price with some TA's. Now Ta's cannot discount the prices. As a result, TA's are offering other things to get your business.

We have done direct with RCI and had control over our reservation. We are now putting together a group and we do not quite have enough staterooms to qualify but by using that a national TA, we will be able to get OBC, bottle of champagne in stateroom and a few other amenities onboard that we would not get if we did the booking ourselves.

Just like any purchase you make, you need to do your research and decide what is best for you!

Can someone outline the pro's and con's of each? We booked through a travel agent for our upcoming Freedom cruise but have wondered on many occasions if we might have been better off booking directly.

Any ideas?

Ta you get obc and free dinners at a restaurant of your choice.and some offer paid gratuities. We got paid gratuities 150 obc and a free dinner, so shop around.

Another thing to check if your looking at using a TA, is to ask them their policies on Cancellations, also make sure if you authorize them to make a payment, that they call the Cruise lines, who actually charge your Credit card & not the TA. Make sure they send you a statement showing all charges and to check you credit card following a payment to make sure the payment was called in. If a TA charges your Credit card back to their business and then sends in a payment, move on and find another TA.

The disadvantages to using a TA is they are no open on weekends in most cases, vs a cruise line is open 24/7. However should a problem occur during your cruise and your not getting satisfaction, many times your TA will have more pull and get the problem resolved.

I have been able to email my TA and she will get back to me on weekends, she sends me specials. The main thing regardless how you choose to book is that your happy with all arrangements and fees and are treated well.

We always get prepaid gratuities, and usually a meal in a specialty restaurant and often more than that. OBC, spa treatment etc. the worst con is that they aren't open on the weekend. This is a reputable online agency, but you need to decide where you want to go before calling them.

Ours has a referral program and this year I have earned an additional 150 in inboard credit because others booked with them and mentioned our name.

I just recently booked through a natl TA, got half priced deposit & $125 OBC on a 6 night cruise. I already knew which cabin that I wanted and got it, deck 9

ocean view. The biggest incentive for us was reduced deposit & the $125 OBC

Know I wish that I would had booked a longer cruise for more incentives. I need to ask if i=I can upgrade with out loosing anything,,,,,,,,,

Like grandgeezer, we've received significant benefits when using a TA. But only if the cruise price is high enough. When booking a real bargain-basement cruise, the perks don't add up to enough to be worth not booking directly.

Booking: Allure D4 (oceanview balcony) for 3 guests, total $2397 before taxes/fees

Perks:

That all said, you have to be sure to use a reputable TA that knows their stuff, or you can end up very frustrated! And I don't like having to use a go-between for making changes to the reservation, but it has never been more than a personal annoyance to do so. Haven't lost a cabin I wanted or anything like that. My own "line" for when it is worth it to use a TA is probably when the perks are 10% or greater of the cost of the cruise. I don't know though...I might have used one on this trip for $150 of perks? Maybe? Can't argue with $443 though!

Are these extra perks for a cruise of your choice, or do they give you perks on a specific cruise?

It has changed over the years. It used to be that you could get a better price with some TA's. Now Ta's cannot discount the prices. As a result, TA's are offering other things to get your business.

I was told this time and again, that it was not possible for a TA to discount RCI prices. My TA's advertised rate was nearly $250 less p/p than Royals advertised rate for the same room. Had mock bookings done by TA and Royal on same day. TA was $500 cheaper. TA also included $100 OBC; Royal offered nothing.

So for the same cruise, same category cabin TA was $600 less overall.

For another cruise TA was able to go to bat for me when D1 - D7 category cabins had a price drop but D8 that I was in did not. TA spent quite some time working on it; got my reservation switched to a mid-hump D1, my price went down $300 ($400 price drop, but lost $100 OBC).

When I called RCI they offered only that I would have to cancel and rebook to get that sort of deal. My TA handled it all and likely a lot easier than I could have with RCI.

So, my experience thus far in my last two bookings, is that the TA has been a good advocate to have and has gotten me better pricing than I could have on my own.

Are these extra perks for a cruise of your choice, or do they give you perks on a specific cruise?

Generally the perks you get are cruise specific. The longer and more expensive the cruise the more perks you get. Last fall we did the transatlantic on Celebrity Constellation and using a future cruise credit, plus the perks from our online TA, $420 credited back to our credit card at the end of the cruise. The drink packages were given to us in the form of a big obc. Being "Elite" members, we got enough free drinks that our purchased drinks were minimal. We did Celebrity Solstice in May, and got $210 credited back to our credit card.

If anybody gets enough perks directly from the cruise line, that you get a credit card credit, let me know.

If you are insecure and don't know what your doing and have to have "total control" of your reservation, book direct.

I'm not sure this is correct, surely it is the people who do know what they are doing who book direct and don't need someone to do it for them. I agree with the 'total control' bit though, especially when it's my booking and money :)

Perks:

This sort of thing doesn't happen in the UK so yes I'm a bit envious:D but surely the only way the TA can offer this is because he has been paid commission by RCI so it's added on to the cost of the cruise you have paid for anyway. You are only getting back money you have already paid.

Interesting discussion. I book directly with the cruise line, however have used both a national online TA and local 'live' TA in the past. I received nothing special or extra from either of them and indeed, it was a lot of work on my part to do the research and get the rooms I wanted, look for rate drops, not to mention the amount of time trying to reach them (TA) during business hours to get them to go after the drop or change. So I book myself. I do the work anyhow!

However, I would dearly love to find someone who would do all the work PLUS give me extras and perks! I'd love to call/email someone, lay out the parameters and let them 'just handle it.' :D

Any ideas?

First two cruises I used a TA but then you're not allowed to talk directly to Royal if you have questions or concerns and you're stuck waiting for your TA to get the information. I book upcoming cruises when I'm on-board the ship. I may not get all the little perks some TA's hand out, but I'm in control and that's just the way I like it!

First two cruises I used a TA but then you're not allowed to talk directly to Royal if you have questions or concerns and you're stuck waiting for your TA to get the information. I book upcoming cruises when I'm on-board the ship. I may not get all the little perks some TA's hand out, but I'm in control and that's just the way I like it!

This could be the reason I drop a TA. If I'm spending the money, I want to be able to talk W/ Royal if I have a TA or not. If I can't reach the TA for a price drop, I want to be able to call Royal instead. We actually lost a cruise because the owner wasn't there, and the staff didn't book for hours, and the price went up.

I used to book on my own all the time, then I kind of met someone I. Facebook who is a TA and she is very nice. Now I kind of feel obligated to use her cuz if I go on a cruise and talk about it icon Facebook she will see and it will hurt her feelings. Oh gosh I'm a neurotic mess aren't I .

I'm going on a cruise in 3 weeks and the price dropped. I called RC they said sure we can upgrade you but since you used a TA she has to do it. The TA was great but kept getting no's when she called. It took a week of driving her and RC crazy and actually a post from someone on this board (who was going on my same cruise and got the same upgrade i was trying to get) that I sent to the TA and she sent to RC to finally get me the upgrade.

I just wonder if I had booked with RC direct if it would of gotten done with just a phone call ??

Archived