OV or Balcony?

scdreamer

My husband and I are considering the Sept 15 2014 Northern Europe/Scandinavia 12-day on Nautica. It's from London to Copenhagen with two nights in Saint Petersburg, as well as numerous other ports. Only two sea days.

We have cruised in most cabin categories over the years, and are always happy to be on board, no matter where we are. We are thinking that the weather will be cooler in the evenings this time of year on this itinerary, and an OV would be fine. Probably won't be spending too many daylight hours on board.

Does anyone have compelling reasons for paying for and having a balcony on this particular cruise?

My husband and I are considering the Sept 15 2014 Northern Europe/Scandinavia 12-day on Nautica. It's from London to Copenhagen with two nights in Saint Petersburg, as well as numerous other ports. Only two sea days.

We have cruised in most cabin categories over the years, and are always happy to be on board, no matter where we are. We are thinking that the weather will be cooler in the evenings this time of year on this itinerary, and an OV would be fine. Probably won't be spending too many daylight hours on board.

Does anyone have compelling reasons for paying for and having a balcony on this particular cruise?

Just remember that the OV cabins are appx 20 sq. ft smaller than the other cabins. Have you looked at the C category on Deck 4 with a window. This would be somewhere in between the balcony and OV. Arlene

The Ocean View & the regular balcony cabins are the same size

PH cabins of course are larger

Obstructed View cabins on deck 6 are smaller ...good for singles ;)

We did the Midnight Sun cruise in an OV on deck 4 on the Insignia ...

We did not miss the balcony but some will not sail with one

It is a personal choice

We spend a lot of time out of the cabin so either is just fine with us

YMMD

Lyn

We did the Baltic Stockholm to London last year leaving Stockholm on Sept 16th I think. We had an A cabin at the very back of the ship(R class), with the deeper balcony, looking at the wake. I was thrilled!

We were in full sun on our balcony as we left Stockholm and sailed through the archipelago(?sp). It was amazing.

After that we were rarely on the balcony, as were in ports, but really looked forward to sitting on it as we went through the Kiel Canal.

It was a dull rainy day, and I could only stay out with hoodies and blankets for a short time, MUCH too cool.

I have never sailed without a balcony, but we really hardly used it, not like on our Med cruises(also in Sept -Oct) or our TA in Nov. Waiting to see how much we use it on our TA in April....

Balcony not that great and based on the dact that you would traverse the North Sea enen worse heck, I would even go for an inside on that trip and opt tp be out on deck chatting with others as opposed to being a tiny weather exposed balcony.

Too the summer" mid night sun" can cause problems with late sunsets and long days....:cool: Same in Alaska where insides beat verandas because it makes you get out to see the big picture

Obviously, it is a personal choice but I find OV cabins on the R ships a bit claustrophobic (and dark). In a veranda cabin, the glass sliding door gives much more light and a "feeling" of more space even though it is the same size as an OV. We don't spend too much time on the balcony but we do use it some and it is a nice choice to have - certainly not a necessity.

Just our preference - only you will know your own preferences.

I agree with Paul. On Renaissance and Oceania we've always had a balcony. Even if we don't use it, I want it!

I remember our very early days of cruising when we had portholes, not even a window, and I don't want to go back there.

Again, personal preference. I'm willing to pay more for more room. For people who say they won't be in the room except to sleep, it makes sense to go for the non-veranda rooms.

No one is wrong in making their choice. If you select the cheaper cabin (as many have said), you have more to spend on other things that you value more.

What would happen if everybody on board wanted the OS?

Mura

I enjoy just having a drink on the balcony whether at Sea or even docked just watching the world go by.

We were in the Baltic in July and various Ports are quite fascinating watching ships of all shapes and sizes come and go.

Brian

We were on this cruise in July and we had an ocean view room and found it quite nice. It is exactly the same size as a balcony room and even has a floor to ceiling window. The only draw back is the orange canopied life boats are directly below you. IMHO, that time of year, I would not waste money on a balcony cabin. Our friends had a balcony cabin on our July Baltic cruise and it seemed that they were always on the shady side of the ship when in port. I got the distinct feeling that they were a little miffed that we decided to go for the ocean view room and they had to have a balcony cabin and don't think they used it all that much. Look at the price savings...it is quite substantial, unless money is no object of course.:D

We were on this cruise in July and we had an ocean view room and found it quite nice. It is exactly the same size as a balcony room and even has a floor to ceiling window. The only draw back is the orange canopied life boats are directly below you. IMHO, that time of year, I would not waste money on a balcony cabin. Our friends had a balcony cabin on our July Baltic cruise and it seemed that they were always on the shady side of the ship when in port. I got the distinct feeling that they were a little miffed that we decided to go for the ocean view room and they had to have a balcony cabin and don't think they used it all that much. Look at the price savings...it is quite substantial, unless money is no object of course.:D

However, this is not apples to apples - not all OV cabins are created equal.

Your OV on the O class ship is a very nice, bright cabin with a full length window - it is just like a balcony cabin without a balcony.

Not the case on the R ships - OV cabins have a much smaller window and thus the cabin has a very different feel - they do not feel the same as the balcony cabins do.

Don't forget the weather is a bit more overcast and chances of rain is greater in September. Many cruiselines leave the area around the end of August or beginning of September. The highs may not even reach 60 degrees. Think of sailing in Alaska in September and you may get your idea of the weather in the Baltics. You have the right idea, but the cooler evenings is just a small part.

My latest rule of thumb:

Under 14 days and port intensive -- book an outside. You will likely not use the balcony much and not miss it. If you are on an R ship, it is great to be in the common areas and meet your fellow cruisers.

Over 14 days with lots of sea days -- book a PH -- not for the balcony but for the space. (Of course, the butler's a nice touch too LOL)

I am just off Azamara 12 night Black Sea (same R ships as Oceania) -- one sea day. We booked an outside and were happy. We spent almost no time in the cabin at all.

If you are a balcony lover (there are some cruisers who spend tons of time on their balconies), then my rule of thumb is meaningless. Book a balcony by all means.

Archived