wHITE DINNER JACKET?

jocelysue

We will be doing a Trans-Panama Canal cruise. As airplane rules are so rigid, DH is wondering whether he should pack his tux OR his white dinner jacket for formal nights :confused:. I tell him white dinner jackets are passé, out of style,:eek: but he disagrees & suggested I post this question.

Advice please. BTW, neither of us is a sore loser nor always has to be right.TIA

Hi. My DH always takes his tux and white dinner jacket, but if both the tux jacket and white jacket won't fit or makes your luggage overweight you have to choose. In my opinion, the white one is more tropical and the black one is more formal. You could also rent just a white dinner jacket to go with his own tux.

Whatever you decide, I'm so glad to see others dress formally.

Margee

We will be taking a Trans-Panama Canal cruise. As airline rules are so rigourous DH was wondering whether to pack his white dinner jacket OR his tuxedo for formal nights as he cannot take both.:confused:

I tell him white dinner jackets are passé, out of style, :eek:but he says they are very appropriate in warm weather climes. He suggested I pose the question here on CC. If his answer is correct, I must make him a homemade baked alaska; if I my answer is correct, he must buy me a fancy face cream.

Neither of us is a sore loser and I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be getting my face cream anyways:D and, somehow or other, I'll find an occasion to make him a baked Alaska, but then again maybe not. ;)

TIA for your answers. Honestly, I find it refreshing that men take an interest in their style.:cool:Even older gentlemen as DH is.

Actually, from what I read recently you are both right. White dinner jackets are not fashionable in most situations. One place where they still seem popular is on Caribbean cruises. I will try to find the article I read and post it.

So maybe you will each win the prize!

If I could only take one tuxedo it would be a tuxedo.

We are going on a very long cruise in January and I will bring both so that I can alternate once in a while but otherwise for most cruises I take the tuxedo.

But like most things there is no right or wrong.

Keith

Hi. I replied to your other thread so I will chime in here too. I'm so glad to hear others are planning formal wear. My DH always takes both tux and white dinner jacket. I think the black tux jacket is more formal, but the white jacket is more tropical. I suggested you bring the traditional tux and rent a white coat from the on-board tux shop if packing is too limited.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Margee

I think it definitely depends on the cut, but I like the idea of the white dinner jacket. He could also just skip both and rent a tux on board. My husband does this as it is easier than bringing his (and hooray for more suitcase space for me!!!). I know it can be a squick, but they are always clean and pressed and they usually fit him quite well, do for us this works out.

A tux is never out of style. The white jacket is definitely reserved for hot weather but the way i see it this is an opportunity to look your best and have fun. If it makes him feel good go for it. I personally will be taking my tux and 3 other suits with me. The wife and I enjoy getting dressed up formal night or not. We so rarely get to do it otherwise. 2 of my suits are white. Have fun.

Guest maddycat
We will be doing a Trans-Panama Canal cruise. As airplane rules are so rigid, DH is wondering whether he should pack his tux OR his white dinner jacket for formal nights :confused:. I tell him white dinner jackets are passé, out of style,:eek: but he disagrees & suggested I post this question.

Advice please. BTW, neither of us is a sore loser nor always has to be right.TIA

Well, from reading the answers to your question it seems that you and I are in the minority. I also think that white dinner jackets are passe', out of style. In my opinion, they stand out but for all of the wrong reasons.

DH wore white dinner jacket as alternate with his tuxedo when we cruised 10-14 days; only tuxedo on shorter cruises. He no longer wears white jacket. We think they have 'seen their day' and have a dated look now.

JMO......

I guess one person's 'dated' is another's 'classic.' Do a search on 'Humphrey Bogart Casablanca' and 'Now Voyager images' and you be the judge if a white dinner jacket could ever be considered 'dated.'

Happy sailing whatever you decide.

I guess one person's 'dated' is another's 'classic.' Do a search on 'Humphrey Bogart Casablanca' and 'Now Voyager images' and you be the judge if a white dinner jacket could ever be considered 'dated.'

Amen! Black tie is alive people just don't know it because nobody knows the rules and seldom get the opportunity to observe the tradition.

I like both and will wear both on our next cruise.

Keith

Casablanca is a wonderful movie and Bogart fabulous but that was in early 1940's....... over 60 years ago. :D

The average cruise ship passenger of that day is quite different than those of today.

In my opinion no suit looks better than a Tux. A white suit is clean, stylish and right on the money for almost any occasion. I own 4 white suits. I have a 2 black suits as well one is a tux. I live in Florida and unless it's a funeral it usually to hot for black. A white tux jacket is on the wish list. Keep it alive guys!:D

I'm only 30 and I, personally, love the look of a White Dinner Jacket. There is just something so sophisticated and classic about a white jacked and black pants.

Maybe bring the jacket and rent a tux through http://www.cruiselineformal.com/?

I also love a white dinner jacket. When I first started to cruise, I would see a lot of them.

I wish I could get my husband to wear one. I am lucky that he does wear a tux, but he wouldn't wear the white dinner jacket.

My husband still packs his tux plus white dinner jacket for any cruise that has more than one elegant night.

We were just on a cruise the first week of this month. Not only did he get several compliments from others on the night that he wore his tux and white dinner jacket, but he also received several comments throughout the week as we ran into people on the elevators etc. Many commented that it was so nice to see a guy who still knows how to dress and look so nice. He really ate up the attention.

Of course there was also an older couple on the ship that always looked well put together. He caught our groups eye on the 1st formal night because he was dressed in a pale pink dinner jacket. All week long our group called him the pink tux guy even though it wasn't a whole tux that he was wearing. I wouldn't recommend that just anyone could have carried off that pink jacket, but as a couple they truly looked elegant.

• 4 weeks later...

White dinner jackets are never passé. I see that you live in Québec, and that may explain why you probably don't see them very often. I am not trying to put down your lovely province, I've been there so I know it's pretty, but the climate there is hardly tropical. White dinner jackets are definitely for warm climates. We are in the UK, and you don't see them very often either as it's just too bloody cold and wet most of the time.

However, my husband does own a white dinner jacket and loves to wear it when appropriate occasions present themselves.

I appreciate the responses to this thread. My wife wants me to buy a white dinner jacket, but I wonder about the appropriateness of it unless I'm cruising the tropics. I also have tried them on and have not found one that looked good on me. I own three tuxes and we always dress up for formal nights. Where we live, there are no occasions for elegant attire. Very few people ever even wear ties - even for a night at the opera.

I have promised my wife that I will continue to look for one that looks good on me. Certainly, she is worth wearing it for even if I don't care for it much. Thank you all for sharing your opinions and links to other web sites.

Archived