Cleaning of Balcony

myheart53

I am just curious as to the cleaning or not cleaning of the Balcony. We were just on the Westerdam in August and never once was our balcony cleaned. Our cushions in the chairs were brought in at night but that was it. I do believe when we sailed on the Oosterdam in August 2010 that our balcony was cleaned. I am a smoker and my ash tray was never emptied the entire trip this time. Thankfully I don't smoke much and the ashtray was big and was the type of ashtray where the butts are completely covered.

On our next trip in November 2013, I will make sure I mentioned it if and when I see our room stewards....lol It was 2 days before we even met ours last month and that was the only time the whole trip.

Did you speak with your steward?

Your verandah should have been cleaned.

Your ashtray should have been safely emptied and cleaned.

Ours verandah is always cleaned and were it to need more attention, a word with steward should take care of that.

You could even have left a note on the bed. They would find it.

I am just curious as to the cleaning or not cleaning of the Balcony. We were just on the Westerdam in August and never once was our balcony cleaned. Our cushions in the chairs were brought in at night but that was it. I do believe when we sailed on the Oosterdam in August 2010 that our balcony was cleaned. I am a smoker and my ash tray was never emptied the entire trip this time. Thankfully I don't smoke much and the ashtray was big and was the type of ashtray where the butts are completely covered.

On our next trip in November 2013, I will make sure I mentioned it if and when I see our room stewards....lol It was 2 days before we even met ours last month and that was the only time the whole trip.

I saw same thing on some Hal and also Celeberity cruises

Hi Sail, thanks for responding. Like I said, we never saw our steward until the second day. I should have called someone about it but truthfully I kept forgetting to do so. :( Too many other thoughts going on in my head...lol. Since I was not out on the balcony that much it was basically out of sight out of mind. We had a problem after the first night and I was so concerned with that matter that the balcony issue never crossed my mind.

It's good to know they are to clean it, so I will make sure that happens on the next trip.:D

We were on the Westerdam in April doing a South Pacific cruise. We had an aft balcony, and agree that it was not cleaned. One night there was an aft deck party/buffet. Paper decorations, butter wrappers, napkins, etc. ended up on our balcony. After this garbage stayed there for 24 hours, we asked our room steward to clean the balcony. That was the only time this area was cleaned in 35 days. :mad:

Guess, we have been lucky as our verandahs have been cleaned on our last few cruises - Prinsendam, Westerdam, Maasdam & Prinsendam. Also notes that they would be cleaning extra on specific port days.

Certainly if it wasn't done and needed doing I would speak to our stewards

Actually I had the opposite problem on the Westerdam in March. It seemed like many times when I went out on the balcony it was all wet from being scrubbed down. (No, it wasn't raining :D.) I did appreciate that the chair cushions were brought in each night and put out each morning. The wet balcony was not worth mentioning to anyone ... and I never really thought about it again until I read this thread.

Balconies get washed down with water hoses by sailors on every disembarkation morning.The cleanliness, or lack thereof, of your balcony during your cruise is the responsibility of your room steward(s) and that includes cleaning/wiping down the windows and emptying ashtrays. If it's not being done, and/or being done but with subpar results, I would contact your room steward first. If that doesn't improve the situation, contact a Housekeeping supervisor/cabin inspector during your cruise. That can be accomplished in person (they are in the corridors every evening) or via the Front Office

Balconies get washed down with water hoses by sailors on every disembarkation morning.The cleanliness, or lack thereof, of your balcony during your cruise is the responsibility of your room steward(s) and that includes cleaning/wiping down the windows and emptying ashtrays. If it's not being done, and/or being done but with subpar results, I would contact your room steward first. If that doesn't improve the situation, contact a Housekeeping supervisor/cabin inspector during your cruise. That can be accomplished in person (they are in the corridors every evening) or via the Front Office

I've been booted off my balcony on disembarkation morning so they do do that much.

Archived