E-mail back from Royal Caribbean about smoking policy

Gon2hwe

Well, since non-smokers are worried about all the illnesses they might get from second hand smoke when they get a whiff outdoors, have a read at that:

http://www.ehhi.org/reports/exhaust/summary.shtml

Oh, forgot to say, best thing is not to leave home now in order to be safe. Forgot to say another thing. Don't use your garden or balcony at home.

Andrea

This is not the same email I received. Mine was a little more personalized addressing other issues we had on our last cruise but also addressed the balcony ban issue. Mine basically says the same thing that the one addressed to trainman says( he is writing a live Review onboard Allure ). Basically they are telling you they are happy your happy, but they are telling us they want to entice us backby expanding more and better places to smoke.

I see it as them trying to placate the minority of smokers onboard.

Well, since non-smokers are worried about all the illnesses they might get from second hand smoke when they get a whiff outdoors, have a read at that:

Don't use your garden or balcony at home.

Andrea

Respectfully, what bothers a lot of people the most, is not necessarily how toxic smoke is, but how it SMELLS. Even if a study came out tomorrow saying that cigarettes are 100% safe, a lot of people would still object to them because in all fairness, they stink and they make everything around them stink.

Fart smell is not considered hazardous to your health. But that doesn't mean that I want to be sharing the same space with a bunch of people farting either.

Respectfully, what bothers a lot of people the most, is not necessarily how toxic smoke is, but how it SMELLS. Even if a study came out tomorrow saying that cigarettes are 100% safe, a lot of people would still object to them because in all fairness, they stink and they make everything around them stink.

Fart smell is not considered hazardous to your health. But that doesn't mean that I want to be sharing the same space with a bunch of people farting either.

I was certainly addressing people who complain about the "whiff" of second hand smoke and the impact it has on their health. Compared to what I have read on the link it seems peanuts. Ooops, should not mention peanuts in case someone is allergic to it. :rolleyes:

There is a nice little story here on these boards about how twice in my life I have farted around smokers just to prove a point.

You know how you hear that there aren't many atheists in a crashing plane?

Let me tell you that there aren't many smokers who feel that smelling up people's air is a "right and a privilege" when it's a stranger's fart and them having to smell it.

There is a nice little story here on these boards about how twice in my life I have farted around smokers just to prove a point.

You know how you hear that there aren't many atheists in a crashing plane?

Let me tell you that there aren't many smokers who feel that smelling up people's air is a "right and a privilege" when it's a stranger's fart and them having to smell it.

Too funny not to post and let you know how hard I laughed! This thread has brought quite the Saturday entertainment this evening.

It's a policy not everyone is or isn't happy with, but hopefully everyone that sails on a balcony will enjoy gazing at the wonderful sea view, and perhaps the smell of sea air.

This is not the same email I received. Mine was a little more personalized addressing other issues we had on our last cruise but also addressed the balcony ban issue. Mine basically says the same thing that the one addressed to trainman says( he is writing a live Review onboard Allure ). Basically they are telling you they are happy your happy, but they are telling us they want to entice us backby expanding more and better places to smoke.

What's that song........

My emails better than your email

My emails better than yours

My emails better cause they love me more.......

My emails better than yours

I think it's odd is all, that in banning smoking on balconies, they are adding more places for people to smoke. No it doesn't matter to me one way or another because I won't be there. Just wanted everyone to know what they can gripe and complain about now.

eventually, all the cruise lines will follow the same or similar smoking policies.

Disney announced the same thing about 2 months before RCI (disney starts the new policy in november)......smoking no longer permitted on balconies (and you should have read the response of smokers over on the disboards cruise line board - even more vehement than here)...

but the writing is on the wall.....other cruise lines will fall in line...

as did the airlines years ago....

do you remember when airplanes were completely smoking?

i do....and i remember when they first made an area for non-smokers....

i doubt anyone ever thought entire planes would be non-smoking one day.......it was something i would have hoped for, but it didn't even cross my mind as a possibility way back then.....and now the other way seems inconceivable....

times change....

eventually, all the cruise lines will follow the same or similar smoking policies.

Disney announced the same thing about 2 months before RCI (disney starts the new policy in november)......smoking no longer permitted on balconies (and you should have read the response of smokers over on the disboards cruise line board - even more vehement than here)...

but the writing is on the wall.....other cruise lines will fall in line...

as did the airlines years ago....

do you remember when airplanes were completely smoking?

i do....and i remember when they first made an area for non-smokers....

i doubt anyone ever thought entire planes would be non-smoking one day.......it was something i would have hoped for, but it didn't even cross my mind as a possibility way back then.....and now the other way seems inconceivable....

times change....

Yes, you are right, planes and restaurants are totally non-smoking....but you don't sit in a plane or restaurant for 14 days!!!

Yes, you are right, planes and restaurants are totally non-smoking....but you don't sit in a plane or restaurant for 14 days!!!

obviously - but the boat isn't completely no-smoking - the cabins and balconies are...but there are some indoor and some outdoor areas that are still smoking...

i would have been happy with just one side of the ship no-smoking, but maybe they figured it would be too difficult for them to manage reservations under that set-up...

i really do feel for smokers, in terms of i understand how it affects your enjoyment of your cruise...just as having a smoker on a balcony next to me, affects my enjoyment....

again, i would think a happy compromise would have been one side of the ship, but perhaps that was too difficult for them to manage....

so they just did away with it all...

i do understand how it terribly upsets you...i do....

but i think while you might find cruise lines now that will keep you happy, in the long run, they're probably all going to do the same thing....

when i was deciding on whether to try RCI, one of the things that bothered me was smoking on the balcony....

but i decided that there were so many aspects of the RCI style cruise that sounded like a really good fit for us that we'd try RCI anyway...

in the end it didn't matter, as i booked at boardwalk balcony room, which doesn't allow smoking anyway.....

with everything, you have to figure out what's most important and go with that....if balcony smoking is most important, then i guess it's time to move on...though eventually you might be locked out of balcony smoking everywhere..

obviously - but the boat isn't completely no-smoking - the cabins and balconies are...but there are some indoor and some outdoor areas that are still smoking...

i would have been happy with just one side of the ship no-smoking, but maybe they figured it would be too difficult for them to manage reservations under that set-up...

i really do feel for smokers, in terms of i understand how it affects your enjoyment of your cruise...just as having a smoker on a balcony next to me, affects my enjoyment....

again, i would think a happy compromise would have been one side of the ship, but perhaps that was too difficult for them to manage....

so they just did away with it all...

i do understand how it terribly upsets you...i do....

but i think while you might find cruise lines now that will keep you happy, in the long run, they're probably all going to do the same thing....

when i was deciding on whether to try RCI, one of the things that bothered me was smoking on the balcony....

but i decided that there were so many aspects of the RCI style cruise that sounded like a really good fit for us that we'd try RCI anyway...

in the end it didn't matter, as i booked at boardwalk balcony room, which doesn't allow smoking anyway.....

with everything, you have to figure out what's most important and go with that....if balcony smoking is most important, then i guess it's time to move on...though eventually you might be locked out of balcony smoking everywhere..

Hi Beth

Your post was the most reasonable response I have read so far.

I totally agree with you and thank you for your sensitive and nice reply.

Wish you a great weekend and a good week ahead.

Andrea :)

I haven't read all the replies so forgive me if I'm repeating some thing. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a non smoker and I hate the smell of it.

that being said,

1) It's interesting to me that smokers are upset or surprised. seems like the whole world is really going non smoking. I figure once the French start banning smoking except in designated areas you know the future. LOL.

2) As some one else mention, cruise lines, hotels, theme parks are all for profit enterprises. they will conform to what the majority of their guest want. evidently RC has had enough feed back to feel this is warranted.

3) as some one else also mentioned, folks will adapt. every one has their line in the sand and not being able to smoke on your balcony maybe some ones.

But you aren't stuck on a non smoking ship for 14 days either. There still will be areas where you can smoke. It will be made available.

But you aren't stuck on a non smoking ship for 14 days either. There still will be areas where you can smoke. It will be made available.

I understand you would like a balcony without a smoker being next to you. I understand.

Our preference is to have a balcony where we can smoke. Just like we book hotels with balconies where we can smoke.

I am not really bothered by cruise lines allowing it or forbidding it as there are always alternatives.

The smoking debates on here are blown out of proportion quite often as it is not such an issue in reality.

Thank god.

Andrea

I understand you would like a balcony without a smoker being next to you. I understand.

Our preference is to have a balcony where we can smoke. Just like we book hotels with balconies where we can smoke.

I am not really bothered by cruise lines allowing it or forbidding it as there are always alternatives.

The smoking debates on here are blown out of proportion quite often as it is not such an issue in reality.

Thank god.

Andrea

With all due respect, I would have agreed with you prior to August of 2009. However, I only realized how offensive it was until after I quit. :)

I think we are getting way far away from the OP's point, which is that now that smoking is banned on balconies (it is, we know it is, no sense beating that horse any longer...whats done is done, move on), the areas on ships where smoking is being permitted may need to expand. There have been several letters from RC stating just that. Is it true? only time will tell.....RC is trying to please every customer, not an easy task. It will be interesting to see if this truly happens or not, thank you OP for sharing your e-mail. It brings up more questions as to how they are going to handle their new policy.

Te same applies to non-smokers. They are also not interested in anyone elses ideas.

I'd have to say give it rest too. There appears to be no way to have a rational discussion without someone making a generalized statement like this (btw I'm a combo smoker and e-cig user and I've seen the rash generalizations from both sides).

As has been pointed out, the new policies are in place and they aren't going to change barring tweaks. The folks that are cancelling and switching are going to do what they're going to do and that's their business. Just let the policies go into effect and then we'll all see how it shakes out.

And with that I am now bowing out of all smoking and e-cig threads until after January.

Huge amounts of discussion on this topic. Every time a state, organization, company, employer etc makes a change in smoking policies the limited amount of smokers declare they will never visit or patronize the establishment again. Now that whole states have strong laws, it more companies are following suit, it still amazes me that smokers think businesses care. The preaching of doom to the business no longer works. It is proven time and time again, that once smoking is banned, business goes up, not down. This policy is opening new doors, and new customers to RCCL. It will not hurt them. They don't care if any smoker will leave.

So smokers, if you want to leave, that's fine. Someone will be right behind you to take your spot. Ships get booked up. The last ships holding out on updating policies will eventually change, like everyplace else, the majority dollar will rule.

Think like this. 2 out of 10 smoke. Those 2 chose the cruise line based on smoking policies. Suppose 6 of the non-smokers chose based on the smoking policy, and the other 2 just don't care. So the question is, since the majority of people no longer smoke, than the likelihood that a large percentage of them will now choose RCCL over other cruise lines, making it a good business decision. Lose 2, gain 4-6.

Complaining will not change the wave of the future. Besides smoking, you have reduced emissions on cars, busses, taxis, factories, and just about everything that produces toxins in the air. You can't stop this now. It's only going to get better (cleaner) for everyone (majority).

If I choose to spend my money on a cruise where I can smoke on the balcony, that's what I'll do. You go right ahead an spend your money on a ship that doesn't allow it. What's in the future, isn't what is right now. Right now, I can choose and I choose to spend the money where I will have the most enjoyment. I suggest you do the same. The anti-smoking crowd promised RCCL they would book twice as many cruises and would start booking balconies so you should get busy fulfilling your promise to them. I didn't make any promises to stay loyal to Royal. It's a personal decision and it's mine.

Archived