E-mail back from Royal Caribbean about smoking policy

Gon2hwe

I think we are getting way far away from the OP's point, which is that now that smoking is banned on balconies (it is, we know it is, no sense beating that horse any longer...whats done is done, move on), the areas on ships where smoking is being permitted may need to expand. There have been several letters from RC stating just that. Is it true? only time will tell.....RC is trying to please every customer, not an easy task. It will be interesting to see if this truly happens or not, thank you OP for sharing your e-mail. It brings up more questions as to how they are going to handle their new policy.

I agree. Many smokers stayed away from X because of the policy that is very prohibitive. I don't think it's a fair comparison. Now the only option for RCI loyalists are to stay with RCI for the product. I think there will be many more smokers on RCI than X. And with there being additional outside areas, I "think" it will be worse on the pool decks for most non-smokers. As a smoker, I hated smoking there because I thought I was bothering non-smokers and I HATE and am INTOLERANT of smoking around kids. For that reason, I rarely, if ever smoked on those decks. Instead I would go to Bolero's or another inside area that rarely had kids around and typically, non smokers would avoid because there were other inside venues. I don't know...I could be thinking it will be worse than reality. It will be interesting.

Caveat: Those ships that have the outdoor promenade won't be as bad. I suspect they'll be smokier on the smoking side, and non smokers will stay away as they mostly have in the past with no kids. BUT for Oasis/Allure, it's not quite so easy. I don't want to smoke where joggers are..that's rude. I really think the top decks on the smoker side will be intolerable for all. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'll find out in January!

Oh..and I received almost the same email. They did modify my "status" to let me know they actually looked me up (I only provided name and email, not my C&A or booking reservation #).

That said, it is as expected. I do work for a major company and we do not allow free form emails for topics like this. We have a standard response, with the ability to update certain aspects to personalize. It's both regulatory (in our sense) but also to ensure consistency. As I do review many of our templates, I was surprised to see that they wrote the email below with the slant of expecting the complaints, not the praises. I would have recommended 2 different templates with a slight change of words. As I was noting my disappointment, mine was relevant. Although if I were praising the policy, there are a few nuances in the template that are not necessarily appropriate.

Dear Ms. XXXX:

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your candid and valuable feedback regarding our enhanced smoking policy.

At Royal Caribbean International, our priority is to provide an onboard experience that is enjoyable for all of our guests. Many of the wonderful amenities and programs we offer on our ships are the result of feedback we have received from our loyal guests and consumers. In addition, onboard policies, including the new smoking policy, are implemented after conducting extensive research to ensure that we continue to provide our guests with the award-winning vacation experience they have come to expect from Royal Caribbean International. We are confident that this new smoking policy will enhance the cruising experience for our guests.

We thank you for the time you have taken to share your concerns regarding this matter. We have certainly taken your comments into consideration, and they have been shared with our leadership team for review. We hope to continue to have the opportunity to welcome you onboard one of our ships so we may demonstrate why Royal Caribbean International is the most preferred cruise line in the world.

As you are an Emerald Member of the Crown & Anchor Society, we would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to Royal Caribbean International.

Ms. XXXX, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Huge amounts of discussion on this topic. Every time a state, organization, company, employer etc makes a change in smoking policies the limited amount of smokers declare they will never visit or patronize the establishment again. Now that whole states have strong laws, it more companies are following suit, it still amazes me that smokers think businesses care. The preaching of doom to the business no longer works. It is proven time and time again, that once smoking is banned, business goes up, not down. This policy is opening new doors, and new customers to RCCL. It will not hurt them. They don't care if any smoker will leave.

So smokers, if you want to leave, that's fine. Someone will be right behind you to take your spot. Ships get booked up. The last ships holding out on updating policies will eventually change, like everyplace else, the majority dollar will rule.

Think like this. 2 out of 10 smoke. Those 2 chose the cruise line based on smoking policies. Suppose 6 of the non-smokers chose based on the smoking policy, and the other 2 just don't care. So the question is, since the majority of people no longer smoke, than the likelihood that a large percentage of them will now choose RCCL over other cruise lines, making it a good business decision. Lose 2, gain 4-6.

Complaining will not change the wave of the future. Besides smoking, you have reduced emissions on cars, busses, taxis, factories, and just about everything that produces toxins in the air. You can't stop this now. It's only going to get better (cleaner) for everyone (majority).

Oh please tell me when the sports bars are going to come back to my area. They all went out of business when the smoking ban went into affect. Every single one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

It all comes down to this: give us a place where we can go and not bother people. The Freedom class and the Voyager class ships have dedicated cigar lounges. No one has to go in there if they don't want to. There is a good ventilation system and comfortable surroundings. Now while I hate the smell of cigarettes I sympathize with cigarette smokers, especially those trying to quit. It's not easy! Cigars, on the other hand smell different. I'm sure to non-smokers smoke is smoke. But I don't mind sharing my space with a cigarette smoker as long as a space is provided. And I'm not talking about some area out on deck that is so windy you couldn't possibly light a cigar. I want a dedicated area for smokers inside, away from the elements. I promise not to smoke on my balcony (which I would never do anyway) and bring down western civilization as we know it.

Now please, can we put this subject to rest?

Elvis

You say no flames yet you flame non-smokers? Two words for you: Star Princess! Go to YouTube and check it out.

You'll run from Royal to another cruiseline, that is until they change their policy, then to another until they change, then to another. Pretty soon you'll run out of cruiselines to choose from. No one is going to change their policy BACK so either you'll eventually give in or you'll quit cruising. To me, the joys of cruising FAR outweigh smoking. I admire your dedication, but is the addiction to smoking more valuable to you than cruising? WOW!

For the record, I emailed RC and applauded their change in policy.

Hi Beth

Your post was the most reasonable response I have read so far.

I totally agree with you and thank you for your sensitive and nice reply.

Wish you a great weekend and a good week ahead.

Andrea :)

Smokers (myself included) better get over it because this is the way the industry is heading.

As long as there are some indoor and outdoor venues for smokers then I am fine.

When it gets to the point where there are very few places to smoke and all indoor spaces are off limits then that's where they will lose me as a customer.

That's OK because most of my vacations are land based anyway.

They haven't banned smoking. You can still smoke on a Royal ship. Just in designated areas.

If you wish to ask a more appropriate "what if" question, it should be: "Suppose that they LIMIT where you can drink alcohol. How would you feel about that?" My answer would be to do what I currently do on land. Adapt. You can't drink alcohol every where you want. Many places limit it to bars or restaurants. They may not let you take it out to a patio or on the street. What do people do? They adapt to the rules. It wouldn't be any different on a ship if it ever got to that.

OP: I'm sure you'll also be able to adapt to the new smoking rules, just like you've done on land. :)

yes and no.

I agree with what you said but you have to remember we're talking about addiction here. I am sure there are alcoholics that knowingly snuck a bottle or two into their place of work or maybe any other place where is isn't allowed...because they are addicted and the addiction rules them enough to make absolutely stupid decisions.

It's easy to say adapt if you aren't dependant physically and emotionally on something. It depends on which is stronger, your desire to have that cigarette on your balcony OR your desire to cruise RCI. Only each individual can figure that out...

Again, I just thank God that I never smoked despite being raised around it. Like any child with parents with an additction, it always pained me to know both parents chose their addiction(s) over their kids. If a person can choose it over the health and well being of their kids, they are certainly not going to go down easily to give it up for their cruise line of choice.

On a good note (not having anything to do with RCI's new policy...just coincidence) two of my friends (they don't know each other) both decided to quit this past week and both are struggling but succeeding, one hour at a time.

It's SO honestly nice to cheer both of them on :)

It all comes down to this: give us a place where we can go and not bother people. The Freedom class and the Voyager class ships have dedicated cigar lounges. No one has to go in there if they don't want to. There is a good ventilation system and comfortable surroundings. Now while I hate the smell of cigarettes I sympathize with cigarette smokers, especially those trying to quit. It's not easy! Cigars, on the other hand smell different. I'm sure to non-smokers smoke is smoke. But I don't mind sharing my space with a cigarette smoker as long as a space is provided. And I'm not talking about some area out on deck that is so windy you couldn't possibly light a cigar. I want a dedicated area for smokers inside, away from the elements. I promise not to smoke on my balcony (which I would never do anyway) and bring down western civilization as we know it.

Now please, can we put this subject to rest?

Elvis

Great Post!

yes and no.

I agree with what you said but you have to remember we're talking about addiction here. I am sure there are alcoholics that knowingly snuck a bottle or two into their place of work or maybe any other place where is isn't allowed...because they are addicted and the addiction rules them enough to make absolutely stupid decisions.

It's easy to say adapt if you aren't dependant physically and emotionally on something. It depends on which is stronger, your desire to have that cigarette on your balcony OR your desire to cruise RCI. Only each individual can figure that out...

Again, I just thank God that I never smoked despite being raised around it. Like any child with parents with an additction, it always pained me to know both parents chose their addiction(s) over their kids. If a person can choose it over the health and well being of their kids, they are certainly not going to go down easily to give it up for their cruise line of choice.

On a good note (not having anything to do with RCI's new policy...just coincidence) two of my friends (they don't know each other) both decided to quit this past week and both are struggling but succeeding, one hour at a time.

It's SO honestly nice to cheer both of them on :)

Good for you.:)

I understand you would like a balcony without a smoker being next to you. I understand.

Our preference is to have a balcony where we can smoke. Just like we book hotels with balconies where we can smoke.

I am not really bothered by cruise lines allowing it or forbidding it as there are always alternatives.

The smoking debates on here are blown out of proportion quite often as it is not such an issue in reality.

Thank god.

Andrea

Is there not ANYTHING that a fellow cruiser could do on their balcony in close proximity to yours that you would not like? That you would want to change if you could. Please try to foster an understanding of others enjoyment.

This is not the same email I received. Mine was a little more personalized addressing other issues we had on our last cruise but also addressed the balcony ban issue. Mine basically says the same thing that the one addressed to trainman says( he is writing a live Review onboard Allure ). Basically they are telling you they are happy your happy, but they are telling us they want to entice us backby expanding more and better places to smoke.

yeah ,whatever LOL

I emailed Royal Caribbean yesterday about their new balcony smoking policy informing them that I would no longer be cruising with them. That is my personal choice and I know there are those that will be happy about my decision not to cruise with them anymore. So no flame throwers please, this is just to inform you of their response.

They stated that although balconies would no longer be smoking friendly that they are "expanding" areas on open decks and other areas of the ship for smokers. I find it humorous that now one of the only places nonsmokers can go that is smoke free is their balcony. Looks like they turned the tables on everybody.

Even though I am a non-smoker I have to say "thank you" for taking time to E-Mail RCL and letting everyone know what their response was.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't smoke but if other cabins do I don't care because we only sit out there when we are cruising to the next port and their smoke blows out to sea. What does rcci do when they find out a guest is smoking on their balcony? It is nice to read that rcci is considerate about non-smokers. Happy cruising.

That's funny -- at sea on the Carnival Conquest a few weeks ago, the smoke from neighbors blew on to our balcony, if it really blew out to sea, I doubt any of the lines would have banned it. That's why we're done with Carnival until they catch up with the rest of the industry and the developed world. We were driven from our balcony by smoke several times in 2 weeks.

We're now looking at another B2B on Royal, we would have never considered it without the change in the smoking policy. :)

That's funny -- at sea on the Carnival Conquest a few weeks ago, the smoke from neighbors blew on to our balcony, if it really blew out to sea, I doubt any of the lines would have banned it. That's why we're done with Carnival until they catch up with the rest of the industry and the developed world. We were driven from our balcony by smoke several times in 2 weeks.

We're now looking at another B2B on Royal, we would have never considered it without the change in the smoking policy. :)

Funny, we never considered Carnival until the smoking policy change. DH likes an occasional smoke on the balcony. You can take our place. BTW, they won't "catch up" because they will be gaining passengers from other lines who want to smoke on their balcony.

I having been using an e-cig for 3 years now. I don't like being around cigarette smoke! By forcing me into an area with cigarette smokers RCCL is putting me in an unhealthy environment. I begin using my e-cig based on the advise of my doctor. Per the crew on my September cruise, all crew members are allowed to use e-cigs in their cabins and the crew bar. When I asked on board I was told the only reason e-cigs are being lumped with smokers is to keep from having to explain them to others. Other cruise lines that are reducing smoking areas are creating separate rules for e-cigs. I know you can walk anywhere in a Disney park with an e-cig, no questions asked.

I having been using an e-cig for 3 years now. I don't like being around cigarette smoke! By forcing me into an area with cigarette smokers RCCL is putting me in an unhealthy environment. I begin using my e-cig based on the advise of my doctor. Per the crew on my September cruise, all crew members are allowed to use e-cigs in their cabins and the crew bar. When I asked on board I was told the only reason e-cigs are being lumped with smokers is to keep from having to explain them to others. Other cruise lines that are reducing smoking areas are creating separate rules for e-cigs. I know you can walk anywhere in a Disney park with an e-cig, no questions asked.

We're in the same boat - 3 years smoke free thanks to e-cigs. We carry a supply of business sized information cards with us everywhere we go that explain the difference between an e-cig and smoking. Perhaps if RCL chose to proactively educate its consumers about the differences, rather than reactively lump everyone together to avoid having to take the time to explain, we wouldn't even need to have this discussion;)

I welcome the police with open arms. However this opens a booking opportunity for other cruise lines who will not be following suit. This is the reason that there are more than one cruise line to choose from.:)
Very few and getting smaller.:p

We're in the same boat - 3 years smoke free thanks to e-cigs. We carry a supply of business sized information cards with us everywhere we go that explain the difference between an e-cig and smoking. Perhaps if RCL chose to proactively educate its consumers about the differences, rather than reactively lump everyone together to avoid having to take the time to explain, we wouldn't even need to have this discussion;)

Princess has a really good e-cig policy.

I agree, we were on the EXOS for the 10/13 cruise and I was unable to use the balcony the whole week, due to the smoke from neighboring balcony. I am going back in March and I will not hesitate to complain, if the new policy is violated.

Archived