Forward or Aft?

Ta8633

If I had to choose an OV in FWD or AFT, which is better? I'm on Conquest but don't think that matters.

I personally prefer the Aft. closer to restaurants on Lido deck and Serenity. However if you can snag a scenic ocean view that is in the front.

• 6 months later...

I would go forward or forward-midship. Do not get a deck 2 room from the midship elevators to the aft elevators, as those are right below the very noisy galley. My top preference would be below the middle dining room on deck 2, as the dining rooms are carpeted and totally empty all night long. But anywhere in the forward half is good. I like using the forward elevators, as there are 10 elevators there, much quicker than the others. It's very close to the theater and where you get off/on the ship (usually the forward gangway). If you can climb a couple flights of stairs, you will never need an elevator at the times that elevators are the busiest. The waterslide & pool is right above the forward elevators. A short walk passed the main pool area puts you into the buffet.

I have only been in an aft room once, and there were a lot of vibrations & random crashing sounds of various volumes & rattle intensity, even when sailing at a consistent speed in calm waters. So I always stay forward now, as the motion & noises are less intense & more consistent, except when coming into port.

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I book aft every time. I've never really had an issue with engine noise/vibrations. I have, however, had issues with loud anchor noises the one time I stayed forward. Aft also tends to be closer to the things I want: lido buffet, dining room, aft pool. Relaxing while watching the wake is one of my favorite things to do, so I like to be close!

If on a lower deck, I would prefer amidships, on a higher deck, I would prefer aft. Lower decks are closer to machinery including engines, generators, bow thrusters, anchors, winches, etc. - all things that can create significant noise or vibrations. I think the newer ships tend to have less mechanically created vibrations than the older ships due to their propulsion systems. Newer ships now have engines that turn generators which in turn provide electricity to power electrical equipment and the electric motors which power electric motors for the screws directly or Azipods. The older ships (most of which are no longer sailing), had engines that turned gearboxes connected to long driveshafts which turned the screws, which created much more vibration with more moving parts. However, bow or stern thrusters (on non-Azipod ships) can be extremely noisy and disrupt sleep at very early hours.

Ship movement will also be considerably more on higher decks to begin with, and the pitch will be more at either far forward or far aft. For those that are more prone to motion sickness, book on a low deck amidships for the least movement while in your cabin.