crime in nassau?????

donho757

A few months back a relative of mine, on another cruiseline, received a memo in their cabins the night before they arrived in Nassau warning them of the crime & to use extreme caution.

It is not one of my favorite ports so we usually stay on the ship.

A Few Carnival Cruise ships have recently been rumored to be putting a warning in their daily "Fun Times" paper when In Nassau about Crime getting worse in touristy areas. It advise's you to Stay In Large groups, (Don't wonder alone). Stick to organized tours/or Main Tourism Hot spots, Don't walk Nassau After Dark,....Stay alert, You-know, all the normal (common since) warnings.

However, because Carnivals warning has now been picked up and re-broadcast in local Bahamian news papers/tv channels. - The story is now starting to go somewhat viral on the internet.

It is true that the crime that is normally just local Bahamian on Bahamian has started to creep closer to, or occasionally into the tourist area, it is still nothing to panic over, you can still get off the ship (In daylight) and visit Atlantis/Bay Street/Straw Market/Senor frogs/Fish Fry/Junkanoo Beach/Queens Staircase/Forts etc. Just simply remember these 3 rules:

1. Don't wonder totally drunk or alone

2. Be very careful after dark.

3. Use taxi's/ship excursion's/or Jitney's between The above major attractions as much as possable. (don't walk back streets, off of the normal tourist areas anymore.)

and you'll be fine.:cool:

The only crimes I've seen in Nassau are the legions of American cruisers wearing fanny packs.

Now that's funny coming from a fellow Scot ;)

We have been to Nassau many, many times. Stay in town and on the main streets. If your cruise leaves at or around midnight, stay sober and in a group.

ps, don't let anyone put a necklace around your neck. That is one of the latest scams by the Straw Market!!!

We were there in march and went to the free beach near Atlantis. We didn't have any problems, except people CONSTANTLY trying to sell us stuff (ie massages, drinks, banana boat rides). We always had someone hang back with our stuff and just stuck together.

we were just there 3 weeks ago and walked everywhere. No issues at all. Walked from the National Art Gallery of the Bahamas and everywhere in between and had no problems.

I agree that you just have to use common sense and be aware. However, we never felt nervous at all.

We even went to the Western Esplanade after we ate at the fish fry and never felt threatened.

We had a great time in Nassau. Enjoy!

We did a self walking tour in 2008 or so. No problems. We stayed at Atlantis in 2009 for 5 days and felt completely safe both there and when we went into Nassau via water taxi. We have been to Nassau at least 5 times and feel completely safe. That said, going off on your own into the areas outside the port isn't necessarily safe, just as wandering around in any city you do not know.

The article is from "Cruise Law News" which from what I understand/remember is an ambulance chaser.

Nassau is no more a "dump" than any other Caribbean port. People just need to use common sense. One reason we take ship's excursions when we go outside the port areas of any port. The immediate port area in Nassau is safe.

How recent are these articles? Thousands of tourists are in Nassau every day so if you are concerned stay in the "touristy" areas and do not wander off the beaten path. We have only been once (about 6 years ago) and had no issues there.

years ago coming back on ship tour to ardrasta gardens we were stuck in heavy traffic and guide was getting nervous. he instructed driver to go behind fort fincastle (believe that's the name, the one up the hill from port area) as a shortcut to skirt the traffic. :eek:It was a whole 'nuther world back there...shanty tin houses, packed in so tightly. Guide indicated locals avoided the area after dark. All cities have rough areas but this was such a quick change from downtown Nassau's appearance it was jarring.

I was there in May for the first time, I did feel safe the hole time. The only time I felt on edge was in the Staw Market the DW wanted to go in there and let me tell you it was a short visit. Long as everyone stays in the tourist areas you should be safe. Heck you could be attacked in your own home town. Just relax and be alert that is all you can do

I was there in May for the first time, I did feel safe the hole time. The only time I felt on edge was in the Staw Market the DW wanted to go in there and let me tell you it was a short visit. Long as everyone stays in the tourist areas you should be safe. Heck you could be attacked in your own home town. Just relax and be alert that is all you can do

Straw Market is safe. They're pushy, but it's safe.

I think the bigger question to ponder here is why the cruise lines continue going to Nassau and any other place that they consider to be so dangerous that they advise their passengers to stay on board when the ship ports there. Seems pretty stupid to me. Nassau is, and for many years now has been, the armpit of the Caribbean.

A Few Carnival Cruise ships have recently been rumored to be putting a warning in their daily "Fun Times" paper when In Nassau about Crime getting worse in touristy areas. It advise's you to Stay In Large groups, (Don't wonder alone). Stick to organized tours/or Main Tourism Hot spots, Don't walk Nassau After Dark,....Stay alert, You-know, all the normal (common since) warnings.

I can confirm that we received this notice on the Carnival Fantasy last month.

But the general thinking in this thread is correct, just use common sense and you'll be fine.

There was a situation a few years ago in which Carnival cancelled some excursions in Nassau and the lines threatened to pull their business from the port. Something like 18 passengers were robbed at gun-point on a Carnival excursion and the perpetrators were caught within a short window. My Mom was on a ship to the Bahamas a few weeks later and had no issues.

This is the lawyer's original source.

I think the bigger question to ponder here is why the cruise lines continue going to Nassau and any other place that they consider to be so dangerous that they advise their passengers to stay on board when the ship ports there. Seems pretty stupid to me. Nassau is, and for many years now has been, the armpit of the Caribbean.

It's a warm and sunny tourist trap that they don't burn a lot of fuel to get to. But it's a formula that works. Take people from cold dark places, schlep them to Nassau, get them off the ship and into the chain food restaurants for lunch and dinner so you don't feed them either.

Armpit of the Caribbean is generous.

There was a situation a few years ago in which Carnival cancelled some excursions in Nassau and the lines threatened to pull their business from the port. Something like 18 passengers were robbed at gun-point on a Carnival excursion and the perpetrators were caught within a short window. My Mom was on a ship to the Bahamas a few weeks later and had no issues.

This is the lawyer's original source.

And about the time we were in St Kitt's the first time, Nov 2010, there was a robbery at gunpoint of a taxi full of cruisers. It happens.

The gunpoint robbery in Nassau, was at Queen's Staircase. We've been to that location a couple of times and have felt safe. The fact is, there is crime everywhere and occasionally they target tourists/cruisers. The point that the cruiselines try to make is that people need to be careful, just as they should anywhere. We go to NYC every year or so and use the same care there that we do on vacation anywhere.

Nassau is NOT in the Caribbean.

I have had wonderful trips to Nassau both on ships and on land. Stayed there 10 days one year. It was wonderful.

My favorite thing in Nassau is Blue Lagoon Swim with the Dolphins. Yes, It was about 180 per person, but it was a wonderful day. The Dolphin Close Encounter is less than 100 per person. There is a lovely place for swimming.

Many who don't enjoy Nassau have not looked for something wonderful.

Almost of the islands are poor. Yes there is crime everywhere. There are places near my home that I would not go to for a good time.

Oh, I live in central Florida. Even worked for the Mouse in my youth.

Archived