Nieuw amsterdam - lido cabanas

lynn2002

Hi, thinking of booking a Lido cabana for our Med cruise in August next year. We're not early risers and rarely have managed to get a sun lounger on RCL cruises. Also, my friend who will be using a wheelchair does not like being in the sun very much, but my daughter who will be 10 loves playing in the pool so I thought this would work well.

Any tips on which one I should request? Also, should I wish to sit in the sun for a little while, can I drag my sun lounger outside the cabana - is there room for it?

I've heard it can be noisy by the pool but having a child (although she is a competent swimmer) I would feel happier being near to her, is the walkway right past the cabanas?

Also is there a disabled toilet nearby?

No sun loungers in lido cabanas. There is a day bed, table and two chairs.

They are fantastic. Ask for crete. You can see photos by looking on joanies sticky.

For sun loungers you would need a retreat cabana. The area is not near the pool and i rarely see kids there as i am sure they would be very bored. Its a quiet area. Most people with kids do the lido to be by the pool.

Sorry for the short response, i can answer more monday when i return from a crazy 2 weeks of traveling for work.

A Med cruise is not like a Caribbean cruise. Days are long...We had only one sea day per 12 days of cruising. By the time you are back onboard, you just want to shower and eat, and then it is too late to sun. Wouldn't be worth it for me. EM

Thanks for your replies and the photos.

Although it is quite port intensive, we have two sea days, another day sailing through the Dardenells, and a couple of days when we don't arrive at port until the afternoon. We may also stay on board for one port day because to rest as my friend tires very easily. The problem we have experienced in the past is that the sun loungers are all taken by the time we get on deck and being in an inside cabin it will be nice to be able to have our own outdoor space which we can go to, even if its only for an hour or two. My daughter loves the pool so I'll be able to keep an eye on her and my friend, who is disabled and doesn't like the sun, can stay in the shade.

I do like to sit in the sun sometimes, do the lidos get any sun or are they completely in the shade? Also do the windows open?

I had the Crete cabana during my June cruise and it was awful on sea days because they were doing merchandise sales at that end of the pool area, and I had a line of people in front of my cabana waiting to make purchases.

Terrible location!

Quit whining. First you take away from the public area with your private cabana, then you complain that people are more crowded in the remaining public area.

If you want privacy then I suggest that you go to your stateroom.

igraf

I had the Crete cabana during my June cruise and it was awful on sea days because they were doing merchandise sales at that end of the pool area, and I had a line of people in front of my cabana waiting to make purchases.

Terrible location!

I wasn't whining. And I didn't say anything about privacy.

I was offering a different opinion from someone else who said to request the Crete cabana. I think it has the worse location (for sea day merchandise sales).

I did nothing to stop people from watching me read and relax. I could have moved but chose not to.

Quit whining. First you take away from the public area with your private cabana, then you complain that people are more crowded in the remaining public area.

igraf

All information is greatly appreciated and I will bear in mind the pros and cons of the end cabana.

As I said before my friend who is disabled is unable to stay in the sun and my daughter loves the pool. The lido cabanas are a perfect compromise as I can look after my friend but also keep an eye on my daughter. I think as long as people are aware that the lido cabanas are on a ship, if they then decide to book a holiday on that particular ship they cannot complain.

Terrible location!

igraf

Just sayin': LuvSushi didn't take anything away from the public area, Holland America did that when they designed the ship. :( and eliminating public areas in favor of private "pay areas" seems to be the current trend....Greenhouse Spa, Hydro-Pool, and Thermal Suite....lanai cabins...private cabanas...what's next?

I know, it is all about generating more revenue for the cruise line.

Archived