Celebrity, Silhouette, November 1, 2014 - Transatlantic

torjen

Hey everyone -- just in case folks haven't noticed, I wanted to flag that the prices of beverage packages purchased pre-cruise are going up on Feb. 18, apparently to the higher buy-on-board package prices. So, for example, if you buy the premium non-alcohol package before Feb. 18 for a future cruise, it's $18/day (v. $20/day after that), and the premium package is going up from $54/day to $59/day (plus 15% gratuities).

Since there was no 123GO promo for our TA, if you are planning to buy a beverage package for our crossing, you might want to do it before Feb. 18 and save some money. :) (The packages are refundable if you later change your mind.)

Hope everyone dealing with the snow today stays safe and warm!

Judith

Thank you for the info Judith!

I just booked us two premium alcoholic packages :D

This is Jonathan (me) and Randy from Vancouver - we will be travelling with Russell.

When we first arrived at the ship last year (Reflection TA) they did not have our sea passes ready and had to print new ones, then on the ship they told us they had no proof of us having purchased the beverage package. Thankfully the very nice girl at customer relations spent about 15 mins hunting for it.

Lesson learnt - this year we will have a printout of that receipt.

Anyway - just thought I would say hi.

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan, nice to meet you! Premium Alc... Wow. ;-) why not it's a vacation. I think I will go with the premium non alcoholic package and get that tomorrow. Are you part of the G&L Silhouette FB group I created?

Smiles from Germany and see ya in 230 odd days.

This is Jonathan (me) and Randy from Vancouver - we will be travelling with Russell.

When we first arrived at the ship last year (Reflection TA) they did not have our sea passes ready and had to print new ones, then on the ship they told us they had no proof of us having purchased the beverage package. Thankfully the very nice girl at customer relations spent about 15 mins hunting for it.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome! Eileen and I look forward to meeting all of you.

I always take a file with a print out of all confirmations/receipts, you just never know what system glitch can mess things up....

What's it like for you all flying to Rome from Vancouver?

Judith

Jonathan

Just bought mine....the website graciously refers to it as 'Premium Package', not 'Premium Alcoholic Package' :(

That reminds me of a church sign advertising the sermon as "Alcoholic Abuse". I often wondered whether they advocated beating up drunks.

Just bought mine....the website graciously refers to it as 'Premium Package', not 'Premium Alcoholic Package' :(

Hi Jonathan,

What's it like for you all flying to Rome from Vancouver?

Judith

Hi Judith,

We normally fly Vancouver - London (overnight) - Rome. That takes about 8 1/2 - 9 hours (same time as from Dallas or Miami more or less).

This time we will fly Vancouver - Toronto - London - Rome so it will be a very long flying day.

We are all pretty good with jet lag and of course there is no time to waste on being tired - so I crack will the whip if need be to make sure everyone immediately gets out in the sun if possible to adjust to the 9 hour or so time difference.

J.

Hello Jonathan, nice to meet you! Premium Alc... Wow. ;-) why not it's a vacation. I think I will go with the premium non alcoholic package and get that tomorrow. Are you part of the G&L Silhouette FB group I created?

Smiles from Germany and see ya in 230 odd days.

Thanks - yes I am part of the FB group.

J.

Hi Judith,

We normally fly Vancouver - London (overnight) - Rome. That takes about 8 1/2 - 9 hours (same time as from Dallas or Miami more or less).

This time we will fly Vancouver - Toronto - London - Rome so it will be a very long flying day.

We are all pretty good with jet lag and of course there is no time to waste on being tired - so I crack will the whip if need be to make sure everyone immediately gets out in the sun if possible to adjust to the 9 hour or so time difference.

J.

Let's hope we have some sun in Rome in late October! :)

We've booked our flight from Los Angeles to Rome via London. We're going BA and will be on an A380. We splurged on business class. Price was good through Choice Air.

We've going to fly in a week early and spend a week in Rome. Found a great flat near St. John Lateran.

Can we say excited :)

We've booked our flight from Los Angeles to Rome via London. We're going BA and will be on an A380. We splurged on business class. Price was good through Choice Air.

We've going to fly in a week early and spend a week in Rome. Found a great flat near St. John Lateran.

Sounds great, and I know you'll appreciate business class on that long flight. I'm sure you are happy to have those arrangements all settled.

We'll be arriving in Rome that Wednesday, and really looking forward to those few extra days.

Judith

business class on BA's A380? Can you hear me say this: JEALOUS :)

enjoy - we are flying business back from the US from Miami to Berlin on airberlin... which is nice too - but nothing like the A380...

business class on BA's A380? Can you hear me say this: JEALOUS :)

enjoy - we are flying business back from the US from Miami to Berlin on airberlin... which is nice too - but nothing like the A380...

I just remembered that we got to watch one of the rollout flights of the A380 into the Zurich airport four years ago during a layover that we had after arriving on an overnight flight from the US, waiting for our connection to Barcelona.

Excuse the quality of this photo, I took it through tinted airport windows during the aftermath of a snow storm. That is a BIG plane! :)

A380_zps1896f3e8.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks for the cool pic. When I booked the flight it was because it allowed us to get to LAX later in the afternoon (we're 2.5 hours away) and gets us into Rome at a good time (4:30pm). It was only when I reviewed the actual booking that I saw A380 and then realized it was the really big plane. I've been on 747s several times (including a London-LAX flight in 1984 during which I joined a very exclusive club :) but never one this big.

I just remembered that we got to watch one of the rollout flights of the A380 into the Zurich airport four years ago during a layover that we had after arriving on an overnight flight from the US, waiting for our connection to Barcelona.

Excuse the quality of this photo, I took it through tinted airport windows during the aftermath of a snow storm. That is a BIG plane! :)

A380_zps1896f3e8.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Hey folks, in case this is of interest to you, I wanted to flag that Celebrity has finally posted shore excursions for Tenerife. We tend to want to do ship's tours in places like this, where the next port is, well, an entire ocean away...

I visited Tenerife decades ago, and while I'm sure much has changed, I imagine the spectacular Pico del Teide, the highest point in Spain at nearly 4,000 meters, is still spectacular.

Eileen and I are likely going to do the 4x4 Jeep Tour to the National Park, Las Canadas del Teide.

Judith

Hi gang:

Just back from a 14-night cruise in the Caribbean aboard the Eclipse. Had an excellent time. The dining room food was some of the best we have ever had on a ship and although we were not that crazy about the Oceanview Cafe (meh…not the best, IMO) or Tuscan Grill (ok, just not great) on this particular sailing, Murano COMPLETELY blew me away….and I can be quite fussy about fine dining food and service. We went twice and both times were without a doubt the VERY best meals ever on a ship, with awesome wine pairings that were covered by our premium packages. Wow. Just wow!

We met some incredible people on this cruise, including four great guys who will be joining us on the Silhouette in November :) It was really a great surprise to find out that our new friends had booked this same Transatlantic. They will be joined by some other friends as well, so it looks like this sailing is shaping up to have some really great, fun family aboard. We had many good laughs on our recent trip and look forward to reuniting on the Silhouette.

In another bit of news, I have told Jan about this trip. Combined it as a Valentine's Day and birthday gift. Was just too impossible to keep the cat in the bag any longer :)

So Torsten, I can now join the Facebook group!

Glad to see everyone has been keeping active. Thanks for the ongoing tips/advice.

Scott (and Jan)

(PS) I mentioned to our new friends that we were trying to build a large gay table.

They will be 8 people altogether, so Celebrity may not be able to accommodate us all at one table.

However, someone suggested that maybe once we have our table assembled that we may be able to request that they be at a table beside us, which would be very fun. Would definitely make a splash in the MDR!

Any newbies interested in joining our table? Would be great to have a nice big one…and I think we are now at least 6, correct?

Edited by TorontoSailor

Hi Scott, welcome back! Glad you had such a great time. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Eclipse and we were really hooked! We did not eat at Murano on that trip but it's definitely on our list for the TA.

What a small world to run into folks who'll be with us on the Silhouette. Should be a great, big, wonderful group!

It's probably a relief that you've finally told Jan. That was going to be a really long time to keep a secret. :)

Judith

Glad you had a great time. We are at 6 for a table now although we haven't put in the request. I'm waiting for our friends to get back from Mexico. Maybe we can put all the reservation numbers together and then have Celebrity figure it out. I'm sure they're used to dealing with large family groups.

Where are the new guys from?

Btw, there is a site called Meet Me On Board. Not very active, but a Toronto couple (one of whom is called Brian) are signed up. I've tried to get a response from them but no luck.

Hi gang:

Just back from a 14-night cruise in the Caribbean aboard the Eclipse. Had an excellent time. The dining room food was some of the best we have ever had on a ship and although we were not that crazy about the Oceanview Cafe (meh…not the best, IMO) or Tuscan Grill (ok, just not great) on this particular sailing, Murano COMPLETELY blew me away….and I can be quite fussy about fine dining food and service. We went twice and both times were without a doubt the VERY best meals ever on a ship, with awesome wine pairings that were covered by our premium packages. Wow. Just wow!

We met some incredible people on this cruise, including four great guys who will be joining us on the Silhouette in November :) It was really a great surprise to find out that our new friends had booked this same Transatlantic. They will be joined by some other friends as well, so it looks like this sailing is shaping up to have some really great, fun family aboard. We had many good laughs on our recent trip and look forward to reuniting on the Silhouette.

In another bit of news, I have told Jan about this trip. Combined it as a Valentine's Day and birthday gift. Was just too impossible to keep the cat in the bag any longer :)

So Torsten, I can now join the Facebook group!

Glad to see everyone has been keeping active. Thanks for the ongoing tips/advice.

Scott (and Jan)

(PS) I mentioned to our new friends that we were trying to build a large gay table.

They will be 8 people altogether, so Celebrity may not be able to accommodate us all at one table.

However, someone suggested that maybe once we have our table assembled that we may be able to request that they be at a table beside us, which would be very fun. Would definitely make a splash in the MDR!

Any newbies interested in joining our table? Would be great to have a nice big one…and I think we are now at least 6, correct?