Celebrity, Silhouette, November 1, 2014 - Transatlantic

torjen

Glad you had a great time. We are at 6 for a table now although we haven't put in the request. I'm waiting for our friends to get back from Mexico. Maybe we can put all the reservation numbers together and then have Celebrity figure it out. I'm sure they're used to dealing with large family groups.

Where are the new guys from?

Btw, there is a site called Meet Me On Board. Not very active, but a Toronto couple (one of whom is called Brian) are signed up. I've tried to get a response from them but no luck.

Hi John:

Certainly no rush to get the request in :)

I think we should stick with our plan to get as many at our table as would like to join and let the other guys assemble theirs.

Then, when we all are put together, we can email Celebrity and see if they can put us beside each other. Would definitely be fun! We don't think they will do a table larger than 10, maybe 12.

The guys we met are from Michigan. Great fun. We had a really good time with them.

It is odd that the folks from the other site are not emailing you back. That board must not be as active as this one.

We can continue to try to lure them over :)

By the looks of things, we are going to have a very large group on this sailing based on our fun little community here, the new guys we met, who will total 8, I think, with their friends, and the others who are bound to join. Going to be a fun crossing!

Best,

Scott

Scott, are you booked into the San Giorgio the night before the cruise? If so, we'll see you there. We're renting a flat in Rome for a week then coming to Civitavecchia on Friday.

Anyone else staying in Civitavecchia?

Yes. We are booked in there for the night before the cruise. We'll be flying in from Venice in the early evening and getting a hotel transfer from the airport.

Hope it is a good choice. Looks pretty decent to us. I find Italian hotels rather expensive for what you get :(

We'll definitely get to meet up pre-cruise.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott, are you booked into the San Giorgio the night before the cruise? If so, we'll see you there. We're renting a flat in Rome for a week then coming to Civitavecchia on Friday.

Oh....and very envious of the 380 biz class! We're going biz class to Venice, but just on a regular old plane. Have really been wanting to fly on one of these!

Good choice!

We'll be in Rome for three nights pre-cruise and heading to Civitavecchia the morning of embarkation. Eileen's only been in Rome for one day (a port stop on a Med cruise), and getting to spend this time in Rome now was a huge plus for us for this particular TA (along with the rest of the interesting itinerary and the great ship of course).

Our hotel is near the Pantheon, should be great walking around...

Judith

Judith, thanks for the heads-up on the time change (via the other message board). We're flying into Rome on 10/25. Fortunately we're not on any schedule so we don't have to worry about it.

Well, you'll have an extra hour in Rome! :)

Our fall TA last year also straddled the European/U.S. daylight savings time changes, but with the added complexity of leaving from the U.K. and going next to France, which is in a different time zone (lose an hour), then having DST end in Europe the next day, so going back one hour, then going to Spain (same time), and Portugal (lose an hour), then the crossing, during which the U.S. returned to standard time, not to mention the normal time zone changes as we crossed the Atlantic. However, we managed never to miss the ship or dinner. :)

Judith

Hi gang:

Just back from a 14-night cruise in the Caribbean aboard the Eclipse. Had an excellent time. The dining room food was some of the best we have ever had on a ship and although we were not that crazy about the Oceanview Cafe (meh…not the best, IMO) or Tuscan Grill (ok, just not great) on this particular sailing, Murano COMPLETELY blew me away….and I can be quite fussy about fine dining food and service. We went twice and both times were without a doubt the VERY best meals ever on a ship, with awesome wine pairings that were covered by our premium packages. Wow. Just wow!

We met some incredible people on this cruise, including four great guys who will be joining us on the Silhouette in November :) It was really a great surprise to find out that our new friends had booked this same Transatlantic. They will be joined by some other friends as well, so it looks like this sailing is shaping up to have some really great, fun family aboard. We had many good laughs on our recent trip and look forward to reuniting on the Silhouette.

In another bit of news, I have told Jan about this trip. Combined it as a Valentine's Day and birthday gift. Was just too impossible to keep the cat in the bag any longer :)

So Torsten, I can now join the Facebook group!

Glad to see everyone has been keeping active. Thanks for the ongoing tips/advice.

Scott (and Jan)

(PS) I mentioned to our new friends that we were trying to build a large gay table.

They will be 8 people altogether, so Celebrity may not be able to accommodate us all at one table.

However, someone suggested that maybe once we have our table assembled that we may be able to request that they be at a table beside us, which would be very fun. Would definitely make a splash in the MDR!

Any newbies interested in joining our table? Would be great to have a nice big one…and I think we are now at least 6, correct?

As we are supposed the send links here - try and look me up on Facebook - there are not many Torsten Lambrecht 's in Berlin...

As we are supposed the send links here - try and look me up on Facebook - there are not many Torsten Lambrecht 's in Berlin...

Hi Torsten:

I added you as a friend on Facebook and you can direct me from there :)

In what turns out to be an INCREDIBLE coincidence, one of your friends is my VERY good friend, Suneel.

Small world!

Scott

Ed and I are also from Palm Springs area and have known John and Phil (StJohn1) a long time. We're happy to be joining the group on this cruise.

About us? We'll have been together nearly 46 years and married 6 years by the time of the cruise, so I guess we'll be the oldies of the group. :)

We've been on a number of transatlantic crossings before and are looking forward to spending some time in northern Italy before this one. The visit will include Milan, Bologna (looking to enjoy some of what is reputedly the best in Italy), and finally Rome where we will join John and Phil for some sightseeing.

We look forward to meeting the group on the ship.

John Ellis

Edited by ellborg

Welcome to the group John and Ed... 46 years together that's amazing!!! Look forward to meeting you onboard. Feel free to add you to the Facebook group if you like.

Your itinerary sounds wonderful. ;-)

Smiles from Germany.

Torsten

Ed and I are also from Palm Springs area and have known John and Phil (StJohn1) a long time. We're happy to be joining the group on this cruise.

About us? We'll have been together nearly 46 years and married 6 years by the time of the cruise, so I guess we'll be the oldies of the group. :)

We've been on a number of transatlantic crossings before and are looking forward to spending some time in northern Italy before this one. The visit will include Milan, Bologna (looking to enjoy some of what is reputedly the best in Italy), and finally Rome where we will join John and Phil for some sightseeing.

We look forward to meeting the group on the ship.

John Ellis

Hi John and Ed,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the TA! Eileen and I look forward to meeting you. (You have us beat; we've "only" been together for 36 years, married 10. :) )

Your pre-cruise plans sound wonderful. We'll be arriving in Rome the Wednesday before sailing.

Again, welcome!

Judith

Glad you had a great time. We are at 6 for a table now although we haven't put in the request. I'm waiting for our friends to get back from Mexico. Maybe we can put all the reservation numbers together and then have Celebrity figure it out. I'm sure they're used to dealing with large family groups.

Where are the new guys from?

Btw, there is a site called Meet Me On Board. Not very active, but a Toronto couple (one of whom is called Brian) are signed up. I've tried to get a response from them but no luck.

Yes, I think the idea of a large table or two, together in the main dining room, will be great and we would love to be part of that. Not certain how we go about getting that accomplished though.

Yes, I think the idea of a large table or two, together in the main dining room, will be great and we would love to be part of that. Not certain how we go about getting that accomplished though.

I remember that on our first cruise we were twelve or fourteen cruisers that were all joined sitting together. Difficult task for the waiters - but they managed nicely.

Only disadvantage was the location "far far away" - but it can be done - it's not too much of a problem for them.

Again - will be missing all that being in Blu with time around. :) Martini Bar for us then...

First of all, hi to John and Ed. So glad to have you aboard! Look forward to meeting you on this cruise. We are going to be a fun group.

Next, thing…..I also posted this on the main roll call, but wanted to post it here, too, in case anyone might be interested.

I am in the process of arranging a very small group tour to the Cinque Terre villages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre from the Port of Livorno. The tour will be SIX people maximum, so Jan and I need FOUR (4) more. I am arranging this tour with Prestige Rent, a limo/shuttle company that is very highly rated. You can check them out here: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...e_Tuscany.html

The cost will be 109 euros per person, NOT including train or boat fares (see below) plus gratuity of approximately 15%, payable in CASH (!) on the day of the excursion. (This is very important. No checks. No credit cards, please. You will have to have euros in advance to go on this trip.)

Another VERY IMPORTANT consideration: This trip will NOT be suitable for anyone with ANY mobility issues, as it will involve a fair bit of hiking, travelling by train and boat, walking, etc. You will need to be in reasonably decent shape (hey, we're NOT marathon runners!), able to keep up with the group and able to keep to a fairly tight timetable. Also, you must be willing to go RAIN OR SHINE, so dress appropriately. It can be wet in the Med this time of year :)

The payoff: A chance to see some of the most beautiful coastal villages of Italy, the Cinque Terre.

We are looking for FOUR VERY fun-loving (can't stress this enough!!!!!), easy-going, intrepid people to join us on this adventure!

If that is you, please let me know ASAP by providing me with your full names and email address.

The first four to sign up and who are able to meet the qualifications will be in, and I can keep a couple of other names on a waiting list.

Promises to be a GREAT day.

Scott

Here are the details from the tour company. Please note: We will be pretty much on our own in the Cinque Terre, which in my view is a PLUS. The van driver will get us there, ensure we understand the timetable, and will help us be sure that we get back to to the ship on time.

Thank you for contacting us

I would be happy to arrange this service for you.

Please find details below:

Full day private tour to the Cinque Terre

with pick up and drop off at the cruiser terminal in Livorno

Tour length approx 9 hours (suggested 8.00am - 5.00pm according to your ship schedule)

Euro 600.00 for your party of 6 people with a Mercedes Minivan

Please find an explanation below that may clarify your doubts on how the Cinque Terre itinerary works:

The Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore – Manarola – Corniglia – Vernazza – Monterosso)

It is not possible to visit the five villages by car as there is no road that directly connect them.

In order to enjoy this tour, besides using our vehicle, it will also be necessary to use the train and/or boat services and therefore this itinerary is not suitable for people with limited mobility.

The train runs all year round but the boat is subject to weather conditions.

Below you will find the itinerary that we suggest and that after many years “experimenting”, we find to be the perfect solution for enjoying this beautiful area.

Arriving in La Spezia, we will take the panoramic road until we reach Riomaggiore.

Along this stretch of road you will be able to see the Golf of La Spezia, vineyards and lovely countryside.

At Riomaggiore, the first of the five villages (south) your driver will leave you.

Before dropping you off he will give you all the information you will need in order to visit the towns, including help with tickets, timetables, and maps.

Unfortunately The “Via dell’Amore”, the walking path that connects Riomaggiore to Manarola, is temporarily closed for repairs so to reach Manarola we suggest using the train.

From Manarola using the boat you can reach Vernazza the 4th village.

Normally we suggest skipping Corniglia, viewing it from the boat,

because Corniglia is the only one of the five towns not located on the coast and it can’t be reached directly from here.

Naturally if you are interested in visiting Corniglia you can do this from the train station in Manarola, where there is a shuttle service (usually very crowded!) that goes up to the village. The more energetic guests may want to climb up the 400 steps (and come down again!) but this takes up a lot of your time in the Cinque Terre and we don’t recommend this.

You can use the train between Riomaggiore and Manarola and the boat between Manarola and Vernazza and then from Vernazza to Monterosso if you like.

The total cost for this is about Euro 10.00 per person (not included in the price).

If the boats aren’t running due to bad weather, you can take the train from village to village for about Euro 3.00 per person (not included in the price).

At the end of the day your driver will be waiting for you at the pre-arranged meeting point (usually Monterosso, the last village furthest north) to drive you back to your ship.

Keep in mind that your driver will always remain at your disposal in the area should you need assistance or wish to make any changes with your meeting point or time.

If you wish (time permitting), a stop can be made in Portovenere before arriving at the Cinque Terre.

Please note: By Italian law, all of the professional drivers are not allowed to leave their vehicles nor walk around with guests acting as a guide to give them detailed explanations of sites they are seeing. If you prefer to have someone with you all day long, we can arrange an English-speaking guide to be met on site at an extra cost for the endurance of your stay in the Cinque Terre.

Please note that we offer this option only because some clients wish to have this personal assistance and not because it is necessary in order to fully enjoy the day.

Only for cruisers: no penalty if the ship doesn’t dock in port, due to unforeseen circumstances.

Edited by TorontoSailor

All,

John E has contacted Celebrity and they are working on getting 6 of us (John, Ed, John, Phil, Scott, Jan) us at the same table in the MDR, late seating.

Anyone else interested in joining us? If so, let me know.

John C

By the way... there is a Facebook page for LGBT Royal Caribbean/ Celebrity fans. Look for Royal Caribbean Gay Cruisers.... in Facebook Groups

eek::cool::eek::cool::eek:

good to know - I will need to look that up - in the meantime there is a FB group for this particular cruise look for "TACRUISE"

the ur1 looks like this

fb

dot

com/

groups/

TACRUISE/

:)

All,

John E has contacted Celebrity and they are working on getting 6 of us (John, Ed, John, Phil, Scott, Jan) us at the same table in the MDR, late seating.

Anyone else interested in joining us? If so, let me know.

John C

This is great! Thanks John and John E. We're going to have a good time!

Scott

Hey everybody, our Roll Call dropped too far down onto the second page!

Eileen and I are pretty excited today because, as I noted on the main Roll Call, we got confirmation from the Vatican this morning of our reservation request for the Scavi tour (a guided tour of the necropolis under St. Peter's). From everything I've read about this, it sounds like it will be a fascinating experience.

Has anyone done this?

I hope everyone is enjoying the start of spring.

Judith