Celebrity, Silhouette, November 1, 2014 - Transatlantic

torjen

Hi Judith

We ( Jonathan, Randy and I) have done it twice. It's very interesting. One thing to mention is that it can be very humid down there. We were there on Oct 31st last year, so basically same time of the year that you will be going, so be prepared for that. I actually felt rather uncomfortable with the air and wanted to hurry the tour along in order to ascent into the lower levels of the cathedral, where the air is much better. I don't remember this on my first trip, but that was in 1999, so perhaps 15 years of aging made the difference!! Anyway, hope you enjoy it, it's certainly worth it, despite what I just said.

Russell

Hi Judith

We ( Jonathan, Randy and I) have done it twice. It's very interesting. One thing to mention is that it can be very humid down there. We were there on Oct 31st last year, so basically same time of the year that you will be going, so be prepared for that. I actually felt rather uncomfortable with the air and wanted to hurry the tour along in order to ascent into the lower levels of the cathedral, where the air is much better. I don't remember this on my first trip, but that was in 1999, so perhaps 15 years of aging made the difference!! Anyway, hope you enjoy it, it's certainly worth it, despite what I just said.

Russell

Thanks for that warning. I had in fact read that it can be sticky down there, so we'll just be forewarned. Glad to hear you enjoyed it enough to do it twice. It definitely sounds worth it!

I am going to have to check my camera (I knew this), and from what I've been reading, it sounds like where we have to go to retrieve it after the Scavi tour will be outside St. Peter's, meaning we'd have to wait on line to get into the Basilica. That will be a bummer, although it will be late in the afternoon (and in late October), so perhaps the line won't be very long.

At any rate, we are definitely looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Judith

Judith,

just found the link to your blog about The. Most. Amazing. Adventure. Ever. And wow... I am really looking forward to either early retirement or maybe a lottery jackpot - that is something I would absolutely want to do...

And you are also taking awesome pictures.

Smiles from Berlin

Torsten

Judith,

just found the link to your blog about The. Most. Amazing. Adventure. Ever. And wow... I am really looking forward to either early retirement or maybe a lottery jackpot - that is something I would absolutely want to do...

And you are also taking awesome pictures.

Smiles from Berlin

Torsten

Torsten, thank you so much, you are too kind!

As for the lottery... for me, as I noted in my blog, it was the generosity of my beloved aunt, while she was alive; she wanted to me do things like that. This Monday is the first anniversary of her passing, so I have been thinking about her even more than usual. Your comment above out of the blue about an adventure that she made possible for me was very heart warming.

Thank you,

Judith

Edited by Turtles06

We just got back from a 4 day LA-Santa Barbara-Ensenada cruise on Sapphire Princess. A great cruise to unwind a bit - took lots and lots of naps. Also drank copious amounts of wine. I could get used to shipboard life very easily.

Judith, you will love the Scavi tour. And on your way to the meeting point you get saluted by the Swiss Guards. They are all gorgeous :)

If you like excavations, take time to see St. Clemente. It's about half way between the Colosseum and St. John Lateran. I like it better than the Scavi because it's an actual Roman neighborhood. You get the distinct feeling that you're back in 4th century BC Rome.

John

We just got back from a 4 day LA-Santa Barbara-Ensenada cruise on Sapphire Princess. A great cruise to unwind a bit - took lots and lots of naps. Also drank copious amounts of wine. I could get used to shipboard life very easily.

Judith, you will love the Scavi tour. And on your way to the meeting point you get saluted by the Swiss Guards. They are all gorgeous :)

If you like excavations, take time to see St. Clemente. It's about half way between the Colosseum and St. John Lateran. I like it better than the Scavi because it's an actual Roman neighborhood. You get the distinct feeling that you're back in 4th century BC Rome.

John

John, thanks for those tips! (And we appreciate gorgeous guys too. :) )

Glad you enjoyed your mini-cruise. I definitely would be happy spending more time on ships!

Judith

mini-cruises sound like such an amazing get-away!

But since we live in Berlin it's always such a schlepp to get to a port and sail away... We envy our friends in Fort Lauderdale that actually do that once a month...

Hope you all have a great weekend

Smiles from Berlin

T

But since we live in Berlin it's always such a schlepp to get to a port and sail away... We envy our friends in Fort Lauderdale that actually do that once a month...

Smiles from Berlin

T

We're 2hours away from the port so we don't get to cruise as often as we like. Our friends that we cruised with live 10 minutes away and often go twice a month.

Hubby and I just booked this. Actually, we were with our agent to book the "Equinox" Jan 23 ,2015 to the Caribbean, and go to talking and blah, blah, blah....so we're going to do a little bit of European traveling and come home on this crossing. I need to post the January cruise, too!

Smiles from Berlin

T

I'm not a huge fan of Florida, but I have to say that one big plus of living there would be the cruise options. Imagine being able to look at some great last minute deals and jump on one without getting on an airplane.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Judith

Hubby and I just booked this. Actually, we were with our agent to book the "Equinox" Jan 23 ,2015 to the Caribbean, and go to talking and blah, blah, blah....so we're going to do a little bit of European traveling and come home on this crossing. I need to post the January cruise, too!

Welcome! Eileen and I look forward to meeting you both.

Love your screen name, perfect for this TA. :)

Judith

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks....Thanks for the complement on the screen name, but I have to admit I'm not very original. Being a good little Italian boy....that actually is my name. And to answer someone else's question about first TA....again, being the good little Italian boy that I am and 1st generation, and now in my 50's....my word.....no! Many sailings back and forth to visit Nonna and Nonno on all of the Italian line ships in the 60's and 70's and a few repo cruises more recently and one QM to NY, as well. We are going to visit with family in Italy for 4 days, then just piddle around Italy for a week before the sailing. I'd love to stay longer with family but my hubby does not speak Italian and having to translate everything gets old quick!

Turtles06: My grandparents came for my christening on the last "full" west bound sailing on the "Andrea Doria". I think they were scared sh**tless when they went home on the "Columbo" in August. That ship was my first TA when I was 5 and we came home on the "Ultra modern, ultra new, ulta luxurious new Flagship of the Italian line: "Leonardo Da Vinci" Back then, we went several times on both of those as well as on the Michelangelo and Raffaello. Did some cruising on them as well. I think my first sailing got me hooked on traveling by ship. Now, I've been on well over 100 cruises/TA's. Geez.....I loved the heyday of transatlantic liners!!!!!!! Sometimes I wish I were old enough to have sailed on the grand ships of pre-WWII. On another note, I think I am going to contact "X' about OW air. In the past they and Princess have always been WAY cheaper for OW air in conjunction with a TA then anything I could do on our own. We will fly out of Logan. We are on the Cape (Cape Cod) for the season and will stay and leave from here, end up in Fla and go to our house near Tampa and stay for the winter. On another note....I don't know how long that's is going to last. Florida is fine in the winter, but I'd just as soon stay on CC all year. They say some folks are just not "Florida people" and I guess I'm one of them. Need to broach that subject with my hubby! Maybe if I say "on the plus side, if we sell.....look at all that $$$$ we'll have to go on cruises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Being originally from the Northeast, I'd just as soon stay here. Maybe when I'm 80 Fla will have more of an appeal.

Edited by donnatello

Donnatello: what a great cruising history; I'm totally with you, I would have loved the chance to sail on some "real" ocean liners across the pond. I hate that so many of the new builds are doing everything they can to remove you from the water (no true lower deck promenades, for example).

I love Cape Cod, how wonderful to be able to spend the spring and the summer up there. As for Florida... my parents, Eileen's parents, and my Aunt all retired there, so we have spent loads of time there on both coasts over the years. I'm not ready to retire there yet either, but when we have winters like the one we just had, I certainly understand the allure of the sun and warmth! :)

Judith

retirement in Florida... Mmhhhmmmm - that is something that even we over here in Germany dream about - however retirement is still another twenty years away for me.

You had a terribly long and hard winter this season didn't you - Berlin was rather mild this winter - I fear for the worst in bugs this summer.

Spring is in full force and surprisingly we have already had fresh white asparagus twice ( they usually only start harvesting the white gold in the last third of April ) - mmmmmmmmmhm

Happy Easter everyone ( if you celebrate ) - and only a wee bit more than six months..

Torsten

retirement in Florida... Mmhhhmmmm - that is something that even we over here in Germany dream about - however retirement is still another twenty years away for me.

You had a terribly long and hard winter this season didn't you - Berlin was rather mild this winter - I fear for the worst in bugs this summer.

Spring is in full force and surprisingly we have already had fresh white asparagus twice ( they usually only start harvesting the white gold in the last third of April ) - mmmmmmmmmhm

Happy Easter everyone ( if you celebrate ) - and only a wee bit more than six months..

Torsten

Hi Torsten, the asparagus sound delicious! It was indeed a pretty tough winter in much of the USA. Temps well below average (and for many days on end), plus lots of snow to shovel. But spring is finally moving in, and the flowering trees at last are flowering. :)

CherryBlossoms21024x768_zps5eb58707.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Donatello,

Saw your post on the other site. Phil & I, John & Ed and Scott & Jan are all staying at the Hotel San Giorgio in Civitavecchia on Friday. It's very close to the port and should be a pleasant place to stay.

John

We're going to check it out. We are on an Alitalia flight out of Logan on Oct 15. Booked it through "X" for about 1/2 the price I could have gotten on my own. I inquired about upgrading to business class. I don't get it.......a 9 hr plane ride would cost considerably more then a 15 day cruise!!! We'll sit in coach!

I am looking for 2 additional couples (non-smokers) to share private guided tour. The tour company is "Shore Excursions Italy" Please go to their site info@shoreexcursionsinitaly.net for details on this 9 hour tour called "Livorno Shore Excursion".

Reviews on this company is available on Trip Adviser.

For more info my email address is: mandell22@aol.com

We're going to check it out. We are on an Alitalia flight out of Logan on Oct 15. Booked it through "X" for about 1/2 the price I could have gotten on my own. I inquired about upgrading to business class. I don't get it.......a 9 hr plane ride would cost considerably more then a 15 day cruise!!! We'll sit in coach!

Hi Donnatello:

I haven't been on in a little while, so sorry for not being so speedy to say hello!

Glad to have you and your hubby joining us. I'm sorry...couldn't seem to spot his name.

We really look forward to meeting you. I think we're going to have a fun bunch on this cruise.

Cheers!

Scott (and Jan)

Toronto