Advance purchase of Vaporetto tickets

Essexlass2

Has anyone bought Vaporetto tickets on-line in advance and, if so, what was your experience please? We have received an email offer to do this but wonder whether we'd have to take whatever paperwork we're given to a special place to obtain our proper passes. Can anyone please enlighten us and say whether its worth buying them in advance or not.

Many thanks! :)

Has anyone bought Vaporetto tickets on-line in advance and, if so, what was your experience please? We have received an email offer to do this but wonder whether we'd have to take whatever paperwork we're given to a special place to obtain our proper passes. Can anyone please enlighten us and say whether its worth buying them in advance or not.

Many thanks! :)

I assume you are referring to purchasing online from Venice Connected?

You will need to obtain your actual tickets from:

1) ACTV ticket machine

2) Venice Connected Points located in:

a) Marco Polo airport - Hellovenezia ticket desk located in the Arrivals hall of Marco Polo Airport

b) Piazzale Roma - ACTV waterbus stop Piazzale Roma Parisi. Waterbus landing jetty in front of the supermarket (near the Post Office).

c) Santa Lucia Station - ACTV waterbus stop Ferrovia, landing jetty to the left of the railway station Venezia Santa Lucia (station forecourt).

d) Tronchetto - Hellovenezia ticket office near the ACTV waterbus stop Tronchetto, at Isola Nova del Tronchetto.

If you are looking to purchase just the ACTV travel cards for the vaporetto, there is no savings when booking online. I would just wait until I reached Piazzale Roma or the train station & buy them there. You obviously cannot avoid the queue (if one exists) as you must queue to purchase and queue to exchange your voucher for your travel card.

We will be there in 3 weeks ... gonna buy them at the train station again. :)

Was last in Venice on a cruise in 2008.

At least back then the vaporetto station at P. Roma did not accept any plastic. Several fellow travelers were out of luck as the cruise was embarking that day and they had not yet gotten any Euros.

Tip: Make sure you have Euro cash.

Was last in Venice on a cruise in 2008.

At least back then the vaporetto station at P. Roma did not accept any plastic. Several fellow travelers were out of luck as the cruise was embarking that day and they had not yet gotten any Euros.

Tip: Make sure you have Euro cash.

The ACTV (Vaporetto) ticket window at P. Roma does take Master and Visa (not sure about Amex). The ticket vending machines (near the window) take Euros or credit cards...but I believe they must be EMV Chip/PIN credit cards which are not normally issued in the USA (there are a few exceptions). And if somebody has no Euros there are plenty of ATMs in the area.

We continue to warn our fellow Americans that US issued magnetic strip credit cards might not always be accepted in Europe. It is becoming more and more of a problem and its nearly impossible to predict whether or not you can use your card. So, its wise to carry enough Euros to be able to cover a tab....or check with the cashier before buying anything (especially in restaurants) if you want to be sure they will accept your credit card. Another option is to obtain a EMV Chip/PIN card which are now issued by a few places including Andrews Federal Credit Union (anyone can join this credit union) which issues a fee free Visa that is an EMV Chip/PIN card.

Hank

The ACTV (Vaporetto) ticket window at P. Roma does take Master and Visa (not sure about Amex). The ticket vending machines (near the window) take Euros or credit cards...but I believe they must be EMV Chip/PIN credit cards which are not normally issued in the USA (there are a few exceptions). And if somebody has no Euros there are plenty of ATMs in the area.

We continue to warn our fellow Americans that US issued magnetic strip credit cards might not always be accepted in Europe. It is becoming more and more of a problem and its nearly impossible to predict whether or not you can use your card. So, its wise to carry enough Euros to be able to cover a tab....or check with the cashier before buying anything (especially in restaurants) if you want to be sure they will accept your credit card. Another option is to obtain a EMV Chip/PIN card which are now issued by a few places including Andrews Federal Credit Union (anyone can join this credit union) which issues a fee free Visa that is an EMV Chip/PIN card.

Hank

Could you please tell me what an EMV chip/PIN card is and how do I know if my card has this feature? Thank you!

Just go to the ticket window at the dock and buy the tickets. Go to the person not the machine to buy if you are concerned about a chip on your card or not. The ticket window will take cash or your card and it doesn't matter about it having a chip when at the window. They understand English and the line moves fast even in the height of tourist season. No need to fret or buy in advance

Could you please tell me what an EMV chip/PIN card is and how do I know if my card has this feature? Thank you!

Seems like I post this info every few weeks (CC should let me make them a sticky :)). "EMV" means "Europay, Master Card, and Visa" and is a standard used throughout all of Europe and much of the civilized world outside of the USA. If you have it on your card, you would know. EMV cards contain a Chip (which is visible) and you will have a 4 Digit Pin code (usually assigned since its embedded in the Chip). Very few US institutions issue this card. The US cards generally use a magnetic strip although some do have a chip-sign system (not compatible with the EMV system). When you have a EMV Chip/Pin card a restaurant or merchant inserts your card into a portable reader (never out of your sight) and hands you the card machine. You then can enter a tip (if you want) and must also punch in your Pin. Many European vending machines (like for train tickets, parking lots, and gas stations) also will only accept this type of card.

So what to do with the antiquated US cards? Many merchants and restaurants will still accept our US cards although they must process them in a different way. For a few years they had portable card readers that could handle either type card (EMV cards are inserted and the magnetic strip cards are swiped). But in the past couple of years we have noticed that many of those duel machines are disappearing and more and more places will not take the US cards. The bummer is that they can certainly take a US card....but it might mean manual processing and some merchants do not want to bother. Two years ago we stayed at a very upscale B&B in Bruge and the owner told us at check-in that his bank would no longer allow him to accept US cards....period! We also went to 2 restaurants that would not accept our US magnetic strip card (lucky we had some Euros).

There are very few US institutions that issue true Chip/PIN cards. A few places have issued them for a short time and then stopped. Andrews Federal Credit Union seems to be the best current option because their "Global Trek Visa" is fee free, has zero foreign exchange fees, and they issue them with credit limits as high as $50,000 (if you qualify). There are a few other EMV cards out there in the US, but most have annual fees.

Here is a link to an excellent article on the current situation:

http://travelsort.com/blog/best-emv-chip-travel-credit-cards-in-the-us

Hank

My capital one and boa credit cards have worked fine in Europe at restaurants hotels etc and someone in my immeadiate family has been to Europe every year since 2008. No chip or pin on any of my cards and no problems at all. Italy. Turkey. Greece. Sicily. France. Spain Scotland England Ireland. The only time we needed and knew to use cash was when buying metro tix in Rome.

My capital one and boa credit cards have worked fine in Europe at restaurants hotels etc and someone in my immeadiate family has been to Europe every year since 2008. No chip or pin on any of my cards and no problems at all. Italy. Turkey. Greece. Sicily. France. Spain Scotland England Ireland. The only time we needed and knew to use cash was when buying metro tix in Rome.

One of these days you will be in for a nasty surprise when your card is refused. We probably used our US cards hundreds of times throughout Europe with no problems until suddenly (about 3 years ago) we started running into problems. It is a particular nuisance for those of us who routinely rent cars in Europe. Our US cards will no longer allow us to get out of parking garages that have automatic gates, will not let us buy gas at automatic pumps (that are often the only option at night and on Sundays, will not work in some restaurants, do not work in toll booths, etc. In most train stations the automatic ticket vending machines will not work with a US card which can mean waiting in a long ticket line instead of spending 30 seconds using a machine. It seems to be a bigger problem the further north you go in Europe (our worst problems were in Belgium and Holland) but the trend is now spreading to the south.

This is one of those problems where the entire world (other then the USA) has moved to a new standard that better assures card security. But in the USA the card companies and banks do not want to make the major financial investment necessary to convert all their card readers and upgrade their software. Since we (in the US) have credit card protection guaranteed by Federal Law (that generally limits our liability to no more then $50) most of our card holders could car less. But in Europe they do not have the same credit card protection which is why Europeans will seldom let a credit cars out of their sight and welcomed the new more secure cards. What is even more interesting is that Canada has also now embraced the new EMV standard. So companies like CapitalOne will issue an EMV Chip/PIN card to their Canadian customers...but still refuse to give them to US customers. It is the same with AMEX. We actually called both CapitalOne and AMEX and asked for the Chip/PIN cards but were told (in both cases) that they are not yet available to US residents.

Hank

One of these days you will be in for a nasty surprise when your card is refused. We probably used our US cards hundreds of times throughout Europe with no problems until suddenly (about 3 years ago) we started running into problems. It is a particular nuisance for those of us who routinely rent cars in Europe. Our US cards will no longer allow us to get out of parking garages that have automatic gates, will not let us buy gas at automatic pumps (that are often the only option at night and on Sundays, will not work in some restaurants, do not work in toll booths, etc. In most train stations the automatic ticket vending machines will not work with a US card which can mean waiting in a long ticket line instead of spending 30 seconds using a machine. It seems to be a bigger problem the further north you go in Europe (our worst problems were in Belgium and Holland) but the trend is now spreading to the south.

This is one of those problems where the entire world (other then the USA) has moved to a new standard that better assures card security. But in the USA the card companies and banks do not want to make the major financial investment necessary to convert all their card readers and upgrade their software. Since we (in the US) have credit card protection guaranteed by Federal Law (that generally limits our liability to no more then $50) most of our card holders could car less. But in Europe they do not have the same credit card protection which is why Europeans will seldom let a credit cars out of their sight and welcomed the new more secure cards. What is even more interesting is that Canada has also now embraced the new EMV standard. So companies like CapitalOne will issue an EMV Chip/PIN card to their Canadian customers...but still refuse to give them to US customers. It is the same with AMEX. We actually called both CapitalOne and AMEX and asked for the Chip/PIN cards but were told (in both cases) that they are not yet available to US residents.

Hank

All of the places you mention are exactly the places I know to not use a credit card in Europe so you are not telling me anything new. Hotels and stores will go the extra step with credit cards so don't make it sound as though the sky is falling in. The smart traveler. Carries euro from home. Has an ATM card and has minimum of 2 credit cards and has called their bank an advised them of travel plans. Having some greenbacks on ones person for exchange is not a bad idea either. You always have something to say about my posts don't you? Interesting. But nonetheless us credit cards work in Europe with the well know exception of automatic machines like in metro stations etc. but just like at home there are usually manned booths as well and lines move quickly It is not like showing up at the Vatican without a timed admission you know lol

We used veniceconnected to purchase our three day vaporetto pass. We realized a savings of 35 percent based upon our arrival day. We paid for it online and picked it up at the airport. The booth is just outside, and to the left when you exit the baggage collection area.

The lady at the booth also sold us a very good map of Venice-so good that we kept it and have used it several times. I think it was a 1 or 2 Euros.

Hank

The EMV card is not new in Canada. We have had ours for at least two years if not longer. I recently made a credit card purchase in Ohio and the cashier looked at me like I had three heads when I asked her "where do I insert the chip". Now I no why. She probably had never heard of it or seen it before.

I can't help but think that there is a reason why the US is late to the party on this one but for the life of me I can't figure out what it could be.

The EMV card is not new in Canada. We have had ours for at least two years if not longer. I recently made a credit card purchase in Ohio and the cashier looked at me like I had three heads when I asked her "where do I insert the chip". Now I no why. She probably had never heard of it or seen it before.

I can't help but think that there is a reason why the US is late to the party on this one but for the life of me I can't figure out what it could be.

Our understanding is that its all about money. The US is a large country with somewhere near a billion credit cards in circulation. To change our system over to EMV means upgrading all the card readers, revamping several huge card networks, changing software, issuing EMV cards (which cost more then a magnetic strip card, etc. It is a complex subject and most in our country have little interest since our cards work fine in our own country. But if you really have an interest in the topic here is a link to an excellent paper on the subject:

http://www.firstdata.com/downloads/thought-leadership/EMV_US.pdf

Hank

One of my favorite French phrases, which we have to use in restaurants all the time when paying, is "Il n'ya pas de puce", which means our debit card 'doesn't have a flea', so "il faut glissee", swipe instead of insert. PITA!!! Have the same problems as Hank at self-serve anything, hate the toll booths, etc. The first few times this happened we were distressed, now we know better and have learned to cope.

Our understanding is that its all about money. The US is a large country with somewhere near a billion credit cards in circulation. To change our system over to EMV means upgrading all the card readers, revamping several huge card networks, changing software, issuing EMV cards (which cost more then a magnetic strip card, etc. It is a complex subject and most in our country have little interest since our cards work fine in our own country. But if you really have an interest in the topic here is a link to an excellent paper on the subject:

Hank

Thanks I will read the article after my first cup of coffee. I was under the impression that the savings on fraud would provide enough money to pay for the switch.

We used veniceconnected to purchase our three day vaporetto pass. We realized a savings of 35 percent based upon our arrival day. We paid for it online and picked it up at the airport. The booth is just outside, and to the left when you exit the baggage collection area.

The lady at the booth also sold us a very good map of Venice-so good that we kept it and have used it several times. I think it was a 1 or 2 Euros.

Hmmm. I was hoping to do that. However, when i checked the veniceconnected site, the price they wanted to charge was the same as the regular price advertised on the ACTV site. As well, it didn't matter if i was booking next week, booking 2 weeks from now (when i'll be there), or booking in December, the same prices came up. Am i missing something?

Hank

Interesting, Europe has a population of some 739m vs the US population of 350m but they have done it; even Canada with it's 35m has adopted the chip card. IMO the underlying issue in the US is the banking system and trying to get all the little Ma & Pa banks to buy into the system.

Read a recent Canadian Bankers Assoc. article that claimed fraud is down by 30 plus percent since the chip cards were introduced.

Chances are the crooks are working tirelessly right now to break it down.

I haven't read that but I certainly feel much more secure with my Canadian chip cards then I do with my Bank of America cards.

To answer the original question, we bought our vaporetto passes online before going to Europe and had no problem presenting them at Piazalle Roma in Venice and getting the passes.

I think the biggest issue for us was understanding there is more than one transit company in Venice. We tried to redeem the reservation near the cruise ship at a kiosk, and got waved away - didn't know why. We took the People Mover (1 Euro cash - separate transit service - we didn't know why). Got to Piazzale Roma and blundered around a bit trying to find the place to get the passes redeemed.

But once we got the passes at the PR, fabulous - they worked like a charm.

To answer the original question, we bought our vaporetto passes online before going to Europe and had no problem presenting them at Piazalle Roma in Venice and getting the passes.

I think the biggest issue for us was understanding there is more than one transit company in Venice. We tried to redeem the reservation near the cruise ship at a kiosk, and got waved away - didn't know why. We took the People Mover (1 Euro cash - separate transit service - we didn't know why). Got to Piazzale Roma and blundered around a bit trying to find the place to get the passes redeemed.

But once we got the passes at the PR, fabulous - they worked like a charm.

I am giggling because I can see myself doing exactly that last year:)....this year I was like a native. That said I can see no advantage in purchasing your passes in advance...one of the considerations is the regular "transit strikes" in Venice and while you would likely get your money back it's just one more hassle a person doesn't need.

Archived