Beware of shareholder credit!

sugarking

That's not true we are Carnival stock holders and never submit our stock holder info until a month before sailing and always get our credit. Nice thing about the stock offer is the credit is on top of the existing offers. I agree with OP I would be upset. What's the point of owning all that stock if your not gonna get a credit.

I only buy stock that I think is going to appreciate in value and hope to make a long term profit/investment. Have never bought a single share of anything to gain some outside advantage. I would absolutely take a gift from the company that I invested in, but would never complain if they didn't give one, most don't.

I own Royal and Carnival (and probably more) by virtual of holding retirement mutual funds however they don't include NCL. So modesty diversifying by owning shares in NCL with whom I prefer sailing with and getting $100 OBC in the process is a no brainer.

The shareholder benefit can be combined with travel agent OBC. I submitted my shareholder benefit after final payment and got $100 OBC with no penalty or fee. I booked my cruise through a travel agent and received the full $100 shareholder OBC from NCL plus the travel agent OBC.

The "can't be combined" restriction may refer only to certain NCL offered OBC. They do need to clarify this. However, I've yet to test this since I usually don't book cabins where NCL offers $100 OBC to begin with such as DASH sales.

To Op: I would definitely challenge the fee. If you hypothetically got $50 NCL OBC from a previous offer when you booked, I would hope they would simply add $50 shareholder OBC without penalty.

NCL considers a reduced Latitude rate as a "perk" that is not valid in combination with the shareholder credit. I just went through the same conversation with NCL - I have shares, and wanted the OBC, they said the Latitudes rate wasn't compatible. I asked what the difference was, and they said $40 per cabin. To me, that's still a net gain of $60 OBC. Not as good as it could be, but better than nothing.

Congrats on your CCL investment success. Hope mine will prove to be as well.

By the way, your planned B2B2B2B is impressive. :D

Part of my success with the CCL stock was buying very low and getting mostly $250 per cruise as OBC. Carnival Corp is doing well too.

I'm really excited to do the next cruise since I haven't been to southern California before except in airports or cruise ports. They scheduled these 3 and 4 day cruises to easily combine so we will actually have a 14 day cruise and get 8 cruise credits (will be in a window suite) so we'll become Elite. Sweet! :D And I haven't done a B2B before - sounds fun.

I laugh every time people complain about the nickel and dime. They do realize that other than the DSC you do not have to pay extra unless you want to. Do other cruise lines charge for soda - yes. Do other cruise lines that have specialty restaurants charge for that? Yes There are many free places to eat and many free shows. On the Breakaway, you are getting broadway type shows for free. The ropes course and the slides are free and are bigger and better than any other cruise line. Do you have to eat sushi? no but if you do you pay for it. But if you go to the buffet you can get some sushi. Do you want a steak, you can get a free one in the main dining room certain nights.

Also, NCL has better rates most of the time than a lot of other lines, so a bit better value.

People will complain about everything.

I am going on my first NCL cruise this year after being a loyal HAL and X member because I want to try the freestyle cruising style of no set times to eat, not having to dress up for dinner and better variety of specialty restaurants. So I am not a cheerleader or a detractor so far. However it is easy to see why NCL gets the nickel and diming rap they have when they charge extra for the little things that Hal includes free like fresh squeezed orange juice and a pizza. HAL even includes free espresso with dinners in the MDR.

Also many here have some misconception that NCL is so much less in cost than the others so you can pay for what the others include free. Have you looked at the Getaway prices for next year? On a similar itinerary I can cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam for less than on the Getaway or even the Epic for a balcony cabin. Will I still try the Getaway? Probably if I like my upcoming cruise on the Jewel.

Also many here have some misconception that NCL is so much less in cost than the others so you can pay for what the others include free. Have you looked at the Getaway prices for next year? On a similar itinerary I can cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam for less than on the Getaway or even the Epic for a balcony cabin. Will I still try the Getaway? Probably if I like my upcoming cruise on the Jewel.

The pricing on a brand new ship always goes for a premium in its inaugural season. Also NCL was first to offer Broadway shows on Epic, Breakway, and now Getaway which factors into the cost. So this is an unfair comparison. I'm sailing Gem 9-Day Caribbean ocean view for $1100 plus tax for two. There are plenty of ships and itineraries that are a good value and I like Freestyle and the types of people that NCL and CC tend to attract on board.

However it is easy to see why NCL gets the nickel and diming rap they have when they charge extra for the little things that Hal includes free like fresh squeezed orange juice and a pizza.

Last time I checked, NCL provides free orange juice and free pizza. You're just paying if you want the delivery service (and I've never cruised with a line that provides pizza delivery, period, other than NCL). The basics are free. You just pay an additional fee if you want additional stuff. Pizza = free. Delivered pizza = additional fee. OJ in the morning = free. OJ for mixers or later in the day = additional fee. I'm pretty sure that's standard, no matter which line you cruise with.

Archived