Formal nights

brian_uk

We are off in November on a 10 day Panama Canal trip on Zuiderdam.

I have looked at my reservation but cannot find what nights are listed as Formal.

Any ideas ?

Brian

I went to the HAL site to get your itinerary so we could see which nights we would expect to be formal and cannot find Zuiderdam doing a Panama Canal 10 trip in November. Where are you embarking?

Why not post your itinerary here so we can help you.

None of us can know all of them for HAL's 15 ships :eek:

Your paperwork will tell you how many formal nights there will be but not on which nights they will be. Usually on a 10 night you can expect 3 formal nights.

Mumsy.

Basic rule of thumb mostly: days at sea are formal nights; first night and last night or your least dressy, other nights can be business casual to simi formal (jackets for men).

Think about it with the ports. First night people are waiting for luggage to arrive port days people have shore excursions to get back from, sea days you are trapped on the ship so have all day to dress, last night people are already packed so they don't want to fuss too much with dressing for dinner.

November 8th cruise -- Nov 10, Nov 13, Nov 16

November 29th cruise -- Dec 1, Dec 4, Dec 7

Now those dates could change.

A couple of times on some of our cruises, when we have left HMC early like 3 or 2:30 -- that was the first formal night. It is really up to the captain and hotel director to make the final decisions.

A couple of times on some of our cruises, when we have left HMC early like 3 or 2:30 -- that was the first formal night. It is really up to the captain and hotel director to make the final decisions.

Where did you find those cruises?

Are they part of a Collectors?

I entered Panama Canal, 9-16 days, Zuiderdam and no November dates came up.

I went to the HAL site to get your itinerary so we could see which nights we would expect to be formal and cannot find Zuiderdam doing a Panama Canal 10 trip in November. Where are you embarking?

Why not post your itinerary here so we can help you.

None of us can know all of them for HAL's 15 ships :eek:

We leave Ft Lauderdale on 8 November back to FLL. It is not a full transit.

Brian

Brian

I wasn't sure which date you were sailing on -- thus I listed both dates that are your itinerary.

Sail

Since the Zuiderdam cruises are only partial Panama Canal cruises, I looked under Caribbean.

KK

Thanks.

Another example of the usefulness of having a CRUISE ATLAS. We I looking for a Panama Canal Cruise on Zuiderdam on the HAL site, clearly I would not have found it. :rolleyes: Having a Cruise Atlas lets me leaf through the brochure page by page and see all that is offered.

I cannot be only one who is not finding all the cruises in which they may have an interest on the HAL site.

Brian

Thanks. We have done partial transits a number of times and love those cruises. They're wonderful!!! Enjoy.

08 Nov 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 04:00 PM

1 09 Nov 2013 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas TR 08:00 AM 02:30 PM

2 10 Nov 2013 At Sea FORMAL

3 11 Nov 2013 Willemstad (Curacao), Antilles 02:00 PM 11:00 PM

4 12 Nov 2013 Oranjestad, Aruba 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

5 13 Nov 2013 At Sea FORMAL

6 14 Nov 2013 Enter Panama Canal Cristobal CO 05:00 AM

6 14 Nov 2013 Cruising Panama Canal and Gatun Lake CO

6 14 Nov 2013 Gatun Lake, Panama SC 09:00 AM 10:00 AM

6 14 Nov 2013 Cruising Gatun Lake and Panama Canal CO

6 14 Nov 2013 Exit Panama Canal Cristobal CO 01:00 PM

6 14 Nov 2013 Colon, Panama SC 03:00 PM 06:00 PM

7 15 Nov 2013 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 06:30 AM 04:00 PM

8 16 Nov 2013 At Sea FORMAL

9 17 Nov 2013 At Sea

10 18 Nov 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 07:00 AM

I agree with KK.

Your formal nights are likely November 10, 13 and 16.

Okay, as the experts are around, I have a question about our formal nights on a Volendam Far East and Asia Collector's -

Day 1 leave HK

Day 2 At sea

Day 3 Halong Bay

Day 4 At sea

Day 5 Danang

Day 6 At sea

Day 7 Nha Trang

Day 8 Phu My

Day9 At sea

And so on

I thought Day 2 and Day 6, for starters. DH votes for Day 4. What do you think? I wanted to book the Pinnacle for a non-formal night, and suggested Day 4, but we're not sure what to do. Of course the Pinnacle is not open yet for booking so no hurry!

Thanks.

Another example of the usefulness of having a CRUISE ATLAS. We I looking for a Panama Canal Cruise on Zuiderdam on the HAL site, clearly I would not have found it. :rolleyes: Having a Cruise Atlas lets me leaf through the brochure page by page and see all that is offered.

I cannot be only one who is not finding all the cruises in which they may have an interest on the HAL site.

Thanks. We have done partial transits a number of times and love those cruises. They're wonderful!!! Enjoy.

I don't have a Cruise Atlas -- I just looked it up on HAL's site.

Okay, as the experts are around, I have a question about our formal nights on a Volendam Far East and Asia Collector's -

Day 1 leave HK

Day 2 At sea

Day 3 Halong Bay

Day 4 At sea

Day 5 Danang

Day 6 At sea

Day 7 Nha Trang

Day 8 Phu My

Day9 At sea

And so on

I thought Day 2 and Day 6, for starters. DH votes for Day 4. What do you think? I wanted to book the Pinnacle for a non-formal night, and suggested Day 4, but we're not sure what to do. Of course the Pinnacle is not open yet for booking so no hurry!

Of course, I don't know for sure but I vote for day 2 and day 6.

I don't have a Cruise Atlas -- I just looked it up on HAL's site.

But you get my point, I think.

I do have a Cruise Atlas because I find it much easier to find cruises that interest us. Clearly I miss cruises when looking on line. If you don't enter the right search request, you don't get all the choices.

I explained I entered Panama Canal cruise search and did not get the info I would have gotten had I entered Caribbean cruise. I would have seen that cruise had I looked in my Cruise Atlas. ;) THat is my point.

As long as I was having LOBSTAH, I wouldn't care what came with it!

I'll eat those sea spiders any way I can get them....:D

Speaking of sea spiders, while I like lobster, I'd rather have the King Crab!

Thanks, Sail. I'm dreaming of Pinnacle lobster tail and thinking of what I will have with it. I wonder if I can ask for the asparagus without hollandaise?

I always order the asperagus without hollandaise and never had any problem getting them that way. :) Delicious.

Archived