Steak and its flavor..

luvmyboys2

Is the steak in the steakhouse better than the steak in the MDR? Is it worth the 35.00pp? All opinions please - thank you.

YES! & YES!

The steak in the steakhouse is USDA Prime where the MDR is most likely Select. Add in the ambiance, the wonder appy's, sides & fantastic desserts and it's a bargain!

I just did the steakhouse for the first time on the Liberty last week. I was always in the 'why pay for food on a cruise when there is so much for free' camp, but I had a decent chunk of OBC. It really was that much better than the MDR. The steaks were perfectly cooked. Everything was delicious. I don't know that I will do the steakhouse every cruise, but I felt it was worth the money.

You really think that is Choice in the MDR? It sure seems more like Select to me.

I would also guess that the flat iron is perhaps Select..which we do not buy at home...I stay away from steak in the MDR...dh will order the prime rib...which can be good or not so good depending on ship, chef...etc.

I did the lamb in the steakhouse and it was very good...dh had the ribeye...and he didn't complain:D so guess he liked it!! For the amount of food you get..the service...ambiance of the steakhouse I would say it was definitely worth the price...

The steak in the steak house is light years better than in the Main Dining Room. The steak in the main dining room is always a let down for me. Don't get me wrong, I've had worse, but if you want a really good steak you'll have to go to the steakhouse. It's worth the cost I think.

Yes! The cut is better, and its aged longer, and the head Chef hand picks your steak. The steak was inedible in the Dining room, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious in the steak house. Actually, I found nothing special to eat in the MDR, and enjoyed the selections at the Buffet. Ordered the "special" hamburger in the MDR, it was ugly, and awful. It went downhill from there. Really.

I'm considering eating in the Steakhouse every evening. Seriously, its worth it.

We go to the steakhouse at least once per cruise when it is on the ship we are on and find it to be a very enjoyable time. We think the value is high enough at $35 to bring our now five year old son with us.

When he was three on the Valor they would make him a piece of chicken and macaroni and cheese and not charge for him.

Since he turned four (on the Freedom and Valor) he has been ordering a lobster and eating all of it (he does usually pass on the appetizers!)

But he loves the chocolate sampler desert.

It's not the amount of food you get in the SH (which is a lot) it's quality of food you get and the care that goes into a perfectly made meal.

People say on these boards, "I can make a better steak at home." While I want to respect everyone's opinion, the vast majority of you that claim that, can not.

The CCL SH is an excellent restaurant that is worthy of much more then your $35 cover charge.

I have never had a bad experience in the SH and, having eaten at many fine steakhouses across the country, I see little difference in the product that CCL offers vs. what you may pay $80-$100 pp for on land.

Just my 2 cents.

It's definitely worth it. One of the best steaks I've ever had, and we eat at big $$$ steakhouses several times a year. No one in our party liked their desserts in the steakhouse on the Splendor this summer. They weren't bad, but they just weren't as fabulous as everything else we had. We were so full by that point it didn't matter anyway.

It's definitely worth it. One of the best steaks I've ever had, and we eat at big $$$ steakhouses several times a year. No one in our party liked their desserts in the steakhouse on the Splendor this summer. They weren't bad, but they just weren't as fabulous as everything else we had. We were so full by that point it didn't matter anyway.

I agree about the desserts. They were just okay. I've had the Chocolate Sampler and the Apple thingy and I can't give either rave reviews. It could be because I so full by the time dessert came around that I simply could not enjoy another bite of food. Hubby and and I enjoyed our food so much that we went twice during our last cruise and I've already made reservation again for my upcoming cruise in November. It's well worth the price.

Is the steak in the steakhouse better than the steak in the MDR? Is it worth the 35.00pp? All opinions please - thank you.

To me, the steak was much better in the steakhouse. The good food, and the ambience was worth the $35. The cheesecake could use a little more sweetener though :)

Yes! The cut is better, and its aged longer, and the head Chef hand picks your steak. The steak was inedible in the Dining room, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious in the steak house.

Trying to decide which day to go. I heard you get a free bottle of wine if you go on the first day, but I don't usually go on this day on other cruiseline because of service turn around or if new steak delivery has been offloaded :D. This is our first on Carnival.

Does it matter which day to go? If you went on the first day, was the service and the steak as good? I want our first experience to be fantastic.

It's not the amount of food you get in the SH (which is a lot) it's quality of food you get and the care that goes into a perfectly made meal.

People say on these boards, "I can make a better steak at home." While I want to respect everyone's opinion, the vast majority of you that claim that, can not.

The CCL SH is an excellent restaurant that is worthy of much more then your $35 cover charge.

I have never had a bad experience in the SH and, having eaten at many fine steakhouses across the country, I see little difference in the product that CCL offers vs. what you may pay $80-$100 pp for on land.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally agree

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Trying to decide which day to go. I heard you get a free bottle of wine if you go on the first day, but I don't usually go on this day on other cruiseline because of service turn around or if new steak delivery has been offloaded :D. This is our first on Carnival.

Does it matter which day to go? If you went on the first day, was the service and the steak as good? I want our first experience to be fantastic.

We went on the first day it was delicious. Going on our next cruise in January and saving money to go two or three times. The worst part about going the first night is that you are disappointed in the meals the rest of the cruise.

Archived