Princess shuttle in Boston

geocruiser

By Market Square do you mean Faneuil Hall Marketplace? I have already researched how to get anywhere from the ship. You can hop on the Silver Line bus (there is a stop at the cruise terminal ) for $2.50/person and it will take you to South Station. From there you can take a train (the "T") for no additional cost. If time is of consideration to you then pay the extra money for Princess' shuttle. Also, I hear it is walkable and is only about a mile to South Station however not worth that if you are going to get on a train from there.

We plan on taking the Silver Line bus to South Station and from there taking the train one or two stops up to Park St. That is where Boston Commons and the start of the Freedom Trail is. We'll be walking part of the Freedom Trail.

By Market Square do you mean Faneuil Hall Marketplace? I have already researched how to get anywhere from the ship. You can hop on the Silver Line bus (there is a stop at the cruise terminal ) for $2.50/person and it will take you to South Station. From there you can take a train (the "T") for no additional cost. If time is of consideration to you then pay the extra money for Princess' shuttle. Also, I hear it is walkable and is only about a mile to South Station however not worth that if you are going to get on a train from there.

We plan on taking the Silver Line bus to South Station and from there taking the train one or two stops up to Park St. That is where Boston Commons and the start of the Freedom Trail is. We'll be walking part of the Freedom Trail.

We want to walk the freedom trail too. Just trying to decide if we want to go the bus route or pay the extra for the easy way out.

Your best solution would be to take the #4 bus at Dry dock ave. & Design cntr pl. (less than a block from the cruise terminal) and get off at Atlantic ave. and State st. From there you are "steps" away from Haymarket & Faneuil Hall, and the North End! You can pick up the Freedom Trail there also! Returning that bus takes a dif route so you can look at dif opts to get back to So. Staion and walk or take the Silver line, depending on where you end up on the Freedom Trail. If you end up at the USS Constitution or BunkerHill Mnt. You might consider taking a Taxi back!

But the MBTA (Boston's transit system) sells one-day visitors' passes for $11.00. The pass can be used for 24 hours and is valid on all intra-city buses, subways, commuter rail (for those stops near the city 1A), the silver line (which is the line that is near the cruise terminal). Depending on all long you are in town, and what you want to see (e.g., fenway park, boston gardens, freedom trail, etc.) its a good deal. There are subway stops all over and its rather easy to read. With the iphone app, its also pretty easy to get around on the buses. You can get more information from the mbta website -- http://www.mbta.com

Enjoy Boston!

Your best solution would be to take the #4 bus at Dry dock ave. & Design cntr pl. (less than a block from the cruise terminal) and get off at Atlantic ave. and State st. From there you are "steps" away from Haymarket & Faneuil Hall, and the North End! You can pick up the Freedom Trail there also! Returning that bus takes a dif route so you can look at dif opts to get back to So. Staion and walk or take the Silver line, depending on where you end up on the Freedom Trail. If you end up at the USS Constitution or BunkerHill Mnt. You might consider taking a Taxi back!

Great advice. Just keep in mind OP that you must have exact change for public transportation.

Where do you want to visit. Boston is a fine walking city but depending on where you want to go, ie Fenway Park or The Public Gardens, that would be a hike. So let us know and we can try to help you get around a fantastic city.:D

When I did the NE/Canada cruise, I took the "T" as it was explained above. I brought a map of Boston and got T map on line. ( I always bring maps with me.) It was easy to do. When we docked and started looking for the bus stop, four other people were doing the same thing and decided to join forces with us. We all clicked and had fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions especially of the transit workers. They were happy to help us especially when we had to go up one set of stairs and down another to get to the other side of the tracks to catch the T going in the right direction.

I hadn't been to Bar Harbor or Halifax before and they were wonderful !

Have a wonderful cruise !

Sali

Just to note, as long as you are taking a subway, you don't need exact change for the T. There are fare machines before the turnstiles that even take credit cards.

Thanks but we decided to take the easy way out . We are going to look into a tour.

Just returned from Boston, on a private trip. We did use the T and buses to get around easy to do. On Monday of this week we ran into huge Princess tour groups, standing around waiting for lost people on the North End. If you do your own thing, Mike Bakery, Italian is great as the food shops nearby. Boston is really easy to get around.

Just returned from Boston, on a private trip. We did use the T and buses to get around easy to do. On Monday of this week we ran into huge Princess tour groups, standing around waiting for lost people on the North End. If you do your own thing, Mike Bakery, Italian is great as the food shops nearby. Boston is really easy to get around.

If you are in the North End and planning on going to Mike's Bakery, just cross Hanover st. and go to Modern Bakery instead!!:) Mike's is for tourists!!!!

Great advice. Just keep in mind OP that you must have exact change for public transportation.

Where do you want to visit. Boston is a fine walking city but depending on where you want to go, ie Fenway Park or The Public Gardens, that would be a hike. So let us know and we can try to help you get around a fantastic city.:D

My dh and I will be going to be in Boston in Oct. My dh has difficulty walking for long hauls. We would like to go to the Northend,( little Italy) and Faneuil Hall. Is it a long walk? Are any of them close enough to the pier to walk? Any help will be appreciated.

My dh and I will be going to be in Boston in Oct. My dh has difficulty walking for long hauls. We would like to go to the Northend,( little Italy) and Faneuil Hall. Is it a long walk? Are any of them close enough to the pier to walk? Any help will be appreciated.

For someone who has difficulty walking, no it's not close enough to the cruise port. Even for people that have no difficulty, it would be a long walk. But once you are there you can visit both,

Faneuil Hall and the North End, they are within walking distance of each other.

Archived