Allure of the Seas Review 8th September - Western Caribbean

I have quite enjoyed your post review and your live review. Thanks for the time and effort it has taken. Do you have cruise compasses from your cruise by chance?

I do indeed. I will try and create a spreadsheet with the details or scan them in and post them online when I get the chance.

And thank you for your kind comments.

I do indeed. I will try and create a spreadsheet with the details or scan them in and post them online when I get the chance.

And thank you for your kind comments.

Cruise Compass, MDR Menu, Beverage Menu (Courtesy of another CC Member), Deck Plans, and other bits of information can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9e3nhv9a4us03iy/uiRJrsLErd. The files are too large to upload to this site. It also includes a Cruise Planner that can be used with the Allure Roll Call. Some information needs to be changed depending on the itinerary

Edited by novicetraveller

You're photos are wonderful, loving the review!

I wasn't planning to bring my "big" camera on our cruise next month but I just ordered a new lens so will try to get some nice shots to share :)

To be honest, I only took my DSLR camera because the focus was on Wildlife, and I needed something that responded and delivered.

what camera are you using great photos I need to be that goog

The camera used is a Canon 5D mark 3 with 2 lenses. 24-105mm f/4 and a 70-200mm f/2.8. To be honest, it isn't always about the camera. A lot of the work happens between the floor and the camera. All that is needed is some knowledge. The reason why I have the 5D Mk3 and not a compact, is mainly for low light photography and wildlife. I needed something that responded quickly to fast moving objects and didn't give too much grainy look. And yes, I am a geek. :o

The majority of my photos were taken in aperture priority, and no flash was used.

I had done a 3 months photography course in the UK, taken a lot of photography over the past 2 or 3 years (and I am talking about 200,000+ images), critically assess my work all the time and have my work assessed at camera club competitions.

I have met a few people who can pick up a cheap camera and take shots that would make my work look really basic.

My advice is not to worry about getting as good as anyone else, just as good as you can be. And don't be afraid to not use auto. Look around and look for things. And when you see it, think about the different ways you can take the shot and how you can make it interesting (different angles, high up and low down, etc).

Sorry, I'll stop there. :)

Before I forget, the night before the cruise, I met up with the folks from the Roll Call. The infamous Trainman was there. I am sure you all know RevSmith as well. To me, they are celebrities on Cruise Critic.

I joined the Roll Call over 400 days before the cruise was due, and even before I booked. :o

I kept on seeing a post from someone who was trying to plan quite ahead of time. (I'll keep the poster anonymous for now).

There were nearly 60 people registered to join us for the pre-cruise dinner, and we had our meal at Duffys Sports Bar.

I must say that I was disappointed with Duffys. We were promised a private room, where there would be little or no external noise so we can talk to each other without any problems. What did we get? An Aisle at the back of the bar, in the open with the TV's blaring and lots of people talking. This meant that we could not Mingle properly.

Duffys is a fast food style joint, and in my opinion, McDonalds and Burger King would deliver far better quality food, especially vegetarian food. Sorry for the negative post about Duffys. I am sure there are people who will swear by them, but this was my first, and most likely last, experience of the sports bar. My standards are not high, but I would expect the food to be at least adequately edible (at least the vegetarian option).

Embarkation Day.

Here is a map of where the pictures were taken. It gives you the perspective of where the hotel is, and where the port is.

9823452553_90df887cfb.jpg

This is the day I think we all have been waiting for.

I went to a secret balcony at Embassy Suites at around 4:30am - 5:00am on the day of embarkation to see the Allure of the Seas come in.

9823452793_8e2d8f345a_c.jpg

Seeing her arrive into Fort Lauderdale made me want to pack my bags and go to the port straight away! But it was a bit too early to board!

I went back to my room and waited for Breakfast to be served. After breakfast, I went back to the Secret Balcony, to make sure the Allure had not left without me.

9823360865_1b81ec8f26_c.jpg

Yep... she's still there.

I checked out from the hotel around 9:30am and took the Embassy Shuttle Bus to the port. It costs about $12 to get there via the hotel Shuttle. I had the Cruise Line Shuttle booked, but didn't want to wait until 11am and spend 2 hours before getting to the port.

Disembarkation was still going on, so I waited outside until the Suite check in line was ready. I was so close to the ship, I could almost touch it.

9823325874_b7718e980d_c.jpg

After I checked in, I went up to the Suites waiting area, near the ship's entrance....and waited....and waited....and waited....for what felt like eternity.... well, it was bout 45 minutes to an hour (Boarding time was around 11:30am).

It's boarding time!!!

9823313784_6053aeb65c_c.jpg

The expression on some of the peoples faces when they step foot on the ship put a smile on my face. It wasn't a wow for me, as I had sailed the Allure twice before, but it felt like I was coming back home after a long time being away.

I went straight to the Park Café for a spot of lunch. I had the Salad with Honey Mustard sauce. I also had the Cheesecake (the portion was small, but nice all the same. I found out that the Windjammer had the same cheesecake on offer. If I had known, I would have gone to the Windjammer for Desert!!).

I decided to generally avoid the Windjammer, mainly because of the crowds, and a lot of people pick up food with their fingers, rather than with the utensils. This is off-putting for me, which is the main reason why I try and avoid it. Unfortunately, on disembarkation day, you can't avoid using Windjammer for breakfast. I believe some other venues are open, but depending on what time you leave, the Windjammer is probably the main option.

Anyway, I digress. The rooms are ready / accessible at around 1pm.

My room for the week was on Deck 9, room 654. I felt sorry for the folks who stay in room 666. Especially on Deck 6. :eek:

Here's my room. The Grand Suite.

9823376563_2447f97367_c.jpg

9823294545_b262815dac_c.jpg

9823359073_693ffe4277_c.jpg

As you can see, my room is port side. To be honest, I wasn't too fussed as to which side my room was. As long as I could see the Ocean when the ship was sailing. :D

The Muster Drill was at 4:30pm. I was allocated Section E1, which is the gangway used for embarkation and disembarkation. The TV comes out from the ceiling.

9823226954_c6af375fd7_c.jpg

E section is in 4 groups. The odd numbers are port side, the even numbers are starboard side. A strange experience is when the 4 groups were called out, everyone cheered (except a few people, who were caught out by surprise!).

There seemed to be a short delay in the start of the drill and the dismissal from the Captain. The drill finished around 4:50pm. Enough time to get to Deck 15 for the Roll Call Sail Away Party.

Up to Deck 15 we go. I can't remember the bar we went to, but it was the non-smoking one.

9823255376_f81fa88811_c.jpg

The live band who were playing were:

9823274366_a40f4869a4_c.jpg

The ship set sail at around 5:30pm.

After the Sailaway, I went to dinner (I was in the 6pm sitting).

I had a diverse group of people on my table. Had 3 ladies who (I believe) were a family (Mother a 2 daughters perhaps). Didn't speak to them for the whole week. They weren't very engaging from what I had observed.

I had one gentleman from the UK sitting on my table, 1 Israeli gentleman, who I believe lives in Miami, and a couple who were celebrating a birthday this week.

There was a couple who joined the table for 1 night, but never saw them again since.

Overall, I was happy with the group I had been assigned to.

After dinner, I went to see Chicago. I've seen this twice on the cruise line before. Why bother seeing it again? Well, I wanted to see if the cast were better than before. I think I recognise 2 or 3 of the cast. The others appear to be different from last year.

After seeing the show a couple of times, it was predictable. But it was well delivered.

My advice to anyone. If you have seen the full production, you may be disappointed with the cut down performance. However, if you are looking for 90 minutes to kill, you may as well go and see it.

I think now is a good time to introduce the Cruise Director. It's.......

9824567433_e23affbc14_c.jpg

.... Ken Rush. Sorry for the poor quality. It was a walking and take a shot photo. Didn't have time to get the right setting.

My first impression of Ken, he's good. I would be happy to sail with him again. Allan Brookes, on my previous cruise, was a bit too camp for my liking.... but he was good and a bit spontaneous, but sometimes predictable. I have only sailed with Ken once, and I am not able to determine his predictability as much as Allan Brookes. The one thing I will say for Ken Rush is that at least he makes an effort to meet the guests after each of the main shows. And at least he remembers you if you had said something earlier. That's a bonus point from me.

Day 2 of the cruise (Day 5 of the holiday).

It's meet and mingle day today. 149 people registered. Venue: Dazzles. Only about 40 or so people turned up.

We had the Activities Manager from South Africa do the Mingle. His name was Zack.

9824423895_75bc3d5812_c.jpg

He provided us with facts from RCCL (Different category of ships) and the differences between the Oasis and Allure (Allure 2 inches bigger, but Oasis is heavier).

It would have been nice if had picked out the celebrities of the Roll Call similarly to what the Activities Manager did on my previous encounter on the Allure, but I guess each Activities Director is different. He's a nice guy and is happy to talk to you if he bumps into you on the ship.

Next Stop... The Welcome Back at the AquaDeck (aka AquaQuack - my name for the AquaDeck!) on Boardwalk.

Photo op with the DreamWorks characters. (Does my belly look big in this? :p)

9824407105_1c26a458fe_c.jpg

Some special event for the Welcome Back Party (Same thing every cruise on the Allure)

9824444823_37d74b157a_c.jpg

9824466453_9e2b6180a5_c.jpg

This guy is doing 7 weeks on the Allure

9824361704_2af817f99a_c.jpg

And... Here's Ken again!

9824396075_b6d9d567fe_c.jpg

The one thing I forgot to do was to post the map as to where most of my images were taken.

9859040754_d2eccfd9c9_c.jpg

Now to move onto the Main event... the DreamWorks parade.

Please note that the Welcome Back Party is for all Crown & Anchor members from Gold and above. There is another Crown & Anchor members party, but for Platinum and above, and is called the Top Tier Party. At the time of sailing, I did not qualify.

As of today, my C&A status has been promoted from Gold (22 points at the start of the cruise) to Platinum (36 points). Woot!

The DreamWorks parade is part of the entertainment programme. The script is standard week in, week out, with no variations.

You will see all the featured DreamWorks characters on the parade.

9824394073_9a93e67b6b_c.jpg

I can assure you that the nose is not real!

9824382283_3aa0cf252f_c.jpg

9824345463_e6ede9e10a_c.jpg

9824320833_fca2cbaf9d_c.jpg

9824205165_957a45c2b0_c.jpg

9824274993_5cda6c4f5a_c.jpg

I won't bore you with the commentary. However, if you do go and see the parade, my advice is to get there early, and find a seat outside Sorrento's. There you will get the best performances from Shrek, the Penguins and the other characters. I suspect the kids will enjoy the performance more, but it is something that is to be enjoyed by everyone.

Thank you for doing the review! Your pictures are amazing. I look forward to the rest.

And I agree - the picture of the guy on the paddle board looks exactly like Charlie Sheen. I thought that as soon as I saw it. There are a lot of celebrity homes along the Inland Waterway. I would not be a bit surprised if it were him.

Thank you for doing the review! Your pictures are amazing. I look forward to the rest.

And I agree - the picture of the guy on the paddle board looks exactly like Charlie Sheen. I thought that as soon as I saw it. There are a lot of celebrity homes along the Inland Waterway. I would not be a bit surprised if it were him.

If it is him, then that's my only claim to fame, other than meeting Trainman, RevSmith and Ken Rush. :D

If there are any questions regarding the Allure of the Seas, please let me know.

Also, if you are a sunrise / sunset worshiper, I would suggest planning your dinner around when they occur. Also, prepare to be disappointed if you don't see the sunrise or sunset due to cloud activity. If you do plan to do the sunrise or sunset, make sure you get to the upper decks around 20 to 30 minutes before it is due and find the best possible spots to watch. Sometimes Deck 14 (The Sun Deck) is the best place to see the event.

I know a lot of you are craving a picture of the Beef Sandwich from Park Café.... sadly, I have to disappoint you and give you a Salad and a Orange Sorbet.

9824193606_d175dd7ddf_c.jpg

9824177865_235f788600_c.jpg

for me, the desert to die for is the Strawberry Cheesecake. They can be found on Day 1 (Sunday) and Day 7 (Saturday).

Make what you wish of the Salad, but the Honey Mustard is the icing on the cake for me when it comes to the Salads.

Now onto the main entertainment for the evening....

9824149414_1b0e44f10a_c.jpg

This is the warm up act.

9824141535_9d51029895_c.jpg

He performs with another act(ress) to start the show.

9824208903_83d76a7cf4_c.jpg

9824065974_8a295267f7_c.jpg

9824019475_2abda4b69c_c.jpg

9823837984_a8da2b2ff6_c.jpg

I am not going to spoil the event too much for anyone. But if there is one entertainment you should not miss (other than Blue Planet), Oceanaria is the one.

The 6th day of my holiday (3rd day of the cruise) will be Haiti.