Cunard Still Unfair for Single Travellers

Pennbank

If you look at Q403 Southampton to New York 10 Jan 2014

Inside stateroom fare only £299 per person £299 x 2 = £598

however try and book for solo Inside stateroom fare = £898

Surcharge for travelling solo £300 even though Cunard are still charging that potential solo passenger for 2 .

Thought Cunard stated publicly in the UK that this was not going to happen again after September 2013 (Unless its a computer glitch)

however it does let you book it for solo to include flight home at £1198

Pennbank, are you in the UK? It is my understanding that it is only in the UK that they changed their policy in regard to solo travellers. In fact, now when you book a Getaway fare you actually see a screen stating that solo travellers are eligible for these. I would wait a day and check again, or phone them in case it's a computer glitch.

LATER: I've just done a dummy booking and it comes out exactly as you say. If I book with fares, then it's £599 each but £1198 for a single. I think it's a glitch. They've reduced the price but have forgotten to tell the computer to reduce the single fare. If you are interested in this cruise, then phone.

Surcharge for travelling solo £300 even though Cunard are still charging that potential solo passenger for 2 .

Thought Cunard stated publicly in the UK that this was not going to happen again after September 2013 (Unless its a computer glitch)

I don't know much about this but is this a business decision by Cunard/Carnival Corp. to add that extra to the single supplement to recoup money the second passenger might spend on board the ship had there been two in the cabin? Anyone know the reason for adding the extra beyond paying double?

Hi, Pennbank.

Hopefully this turns out to be a glitch and you can get it sorted by phone. But please pardon me for being a bit cynical here. I only recall Cunard stating that "on all cruises departing from 1 September 2013 our Getaway Fares are available to single travelers". And this is the case. You are now able to book a getaway fare on cundard.co.uk for voyage Q403 as a single traveler. Previously, you were not able to book a Getaway fare at all as a single traveler.

Here is what I am seeing on cunard.co.uk for an IC cabin on voyage Q403.

Vantage double occupancy = £859 + $60 OBC per person

Vantage single occupancy = £1458 + $60 OBC

Getaway double occupancy = £299 per person

Getaway single occupancy = £898 per person

You are now able to book a Getaway fare as a single and you are able to realize a savings over the Vantage fare for a single traveler.

Now having said that, I do agree that it is unfair that you have to pay more for a cabin to book a Getaway fare as a single compared to the total that a couple would pay. I concur with the subject of this thread. As the fares are currently being presented on cunard.co.uk, Cunard is still being unfair to single travelers. Cunard should take the next step and allow you to book a Getaway fare with a "normal" single supplement.

Regards,

John.

CALM DOWN!

I am sure this is just a glitch. I have been watching V316N and it is showing Getaway prices just as we would expect, double the per person rates.

Before anyone panics, check out 10 voyages and see what happens. And someone perhaps could contact Cunard or a reputable travel agent and check it out. Glitches happen. Don't badmouth the company until you have determined if it is company policy or a worker's error.

CALM DOWN!

I am sure this is just a glitch. I have been watching V316N and it is showing Getaway prices just as we would expect, double the per person rates.

Before anyone panics, check out 10 voyages and see what happens. And someone perhaps could contact Cunard or a reputable travel agent and check it out. Glitches happen. Don't badmouth the company until you have determined if it is company policy or a worker's error.

Thank you for that, fantays51.

I took your advice and checked out at least ten other voyages on cunard.co.uk where Getaway fares are offered. The Getaway fares for singles are as you say -- double the per person Getaway fares for double occupancy. Consider me less cynical now :).

Regards,

John.

Received a mailing by post of Jan 10 2014, Southampton to New York on QE $799 per person double occupancy, offer clearly states that the price DOES NOT apply to solo passengers.

Checked by phone, Cunard staffer says, solo have to pay brochure fare plus solo supplement, (75%) that would bring the cost solo to $2392 whereas a couple would pay$1598.

What possible justification can the "supporters" of Cunard have for this despicable bias in pricing against solo passengers.

Jimsgirl, this happened to us in the UK before it happened in the USA, I believe. We have complained and the decision has been changed. Hopefully it will change in the USA too. Write to Cunard and tell them your thoughts. Unless people write, they will assume that solo travellers will just take it.

I believe in taking action and talking to the appropriate people, rather than just bemoaning things.

Pennbank, I see from another thread that you have now managed to book this deal. I am so pleased.

Not for solo occupancy.

Solo Travelling is still showing the x 2 rate plus an additional £300 which goes against the t&c on the Getaway Fare window that pops up.

Different terms and conditions apply to these bookings.

For guests on this Getaway promotion, the full fare will be due at the time of booking.

Fares are non-refundable and cancellation charges are 100% from time of booking.

No amendments are permitted once booked. Any amendment to a Getaway booking will be treated as a cancellation.

Bookings will be made at the minimum grade within each stateroom category without a stateroom number. Stateroom numbers will be allocated no later than 14 days prior to departure.

Please note that on all cruises departing from 1 September 2013 our Getaway Fares are available to single travelers, two passengers sharing a cabin and third & fourth passengers in the same cabin. Getaway fares for cruises departing before this date are only available on bookings based on two passengers sharing a cabin. Therefore, if you are planning to book a cabin for sole occupancy or wish to book a cabin to accommodate three or four on a cruise that departs before 1 September 2013, please select our Vantage Fare option.

These terms and conditions vary, where relevant, the applicable Cunard Line Booking Conditions apply. The applicable Cunard Booking Conditions are otherwise unchanged.

One needs to telephone Cunard on matters like this. I requested something about changing a booking with my travel agent last week and the response was a definite NO. When I got back to the UK I phoned Cunard directly and they were extremely helpful and in fact exceeded my expectations and saved me several hundred pounds.

Received a mailing by post of Jan 10 2014, Southampton to New York on QE $799 per person double occupancy, offer clearly states that the price DOES NOT apply to solo passengers.

Checked by phone, Cunard staffer says, solo have to pay brochure fare plus solo supplement, (75%) that would bring the cost solo to $2392 whereas a couple would pay$1598.

What possible justification can the "supporters" of Cunard have for this despicable bias in pricing against solo passengers.

It's down to $1998 for a solo if you want to join us!

If for some reason I want a particular sailing and Cunard is selling a cabin for 2 for less than a single, I have a friend who's willing to add themselves as the second occupant,although it's highly unlikely for business reasons they'll be able to travel. The terms say "no refund if a no-show", not no refund plus a penalty.

But these silly games are getting so blatant and so annoying, I'm starting to go to the competition without bothering with a quote from Cunard.

Just tried a mock booking where an IC was quoted on line $999 pp double occupancy but the solo price came to $1998. So that's a 100% single supplement. Still less than the $2392 you were quoted but I didn't take it to the point of the taxes and fees being added on.

If for some reason I want a particular sailing and Cunard is selling a cabin for 2 for less than a single, I have a friend who's willing to add themselves as the second occupant,although it's highly unlikely for business reasons they'll be able to travel. The terms say "no refund if a no-show", not no refund plus a penalty.

But these silly games are getting so blatant and so annoying, I'm starting to go to the competition without bothering with a quote from Cunard.

Agree Dancer, I also have the same friend. :D

Thank you for all and any updates, the figures I gave were the ones quoted to me over the phone by Cunard staff .

It is interesting to see that a couple booking this cruise will pay $1598 (2x $799) but a solo booking same cruise same cabin will have to pay $1998, over $400 MORE than two people !

Yet I am supposed to believe that Cunard is not deliberately biased against solo passengers, and that quote from one posting "it is not worth getting stressed about "?

Let me understand:-

If a store advertised an item for "$xxx for buyers who complexion is not ***** , but if your skin is *****, then you have to pay 2 x $xxx plus and additional $400" the uproar would be unprecedented.

Yet substitute "solo" for *****, and the Cunard name and it is acceptable, a business decision, and many other reasons why to suggest Cunard is biased, makes me the bad gal????

Yet I am supposed to believe that Cunard is not deliberately biased against solo passengers, and that quote from one posting "it is not worth getting stressed about "?

Hi Jimsgirl. I have read through this thread and the only mention of stress I can find is mine when I said: 'I spend a lot of time trying to make my life as stress-free as possible, so I tend not to let myself panic unless I'm sure it's justified.'

If you look back, that was in reference to my suggestion that we first determine if the OP was talking about a glitch or a reversal of Cunard's UK policy. I still believe my advice was good: determine the facts before you get yourself stressed.

Be aware that we were talking about UK prices, not about those in the USA. It was not a general observation but a specific one.

As for the solo situation: I was concerned enough about the difference in prices to contact the BBC, and I appeared on a TV show here. Again, I became indignant (rather than stressed) and took any action possible. I wrote to Cunard, emailed the BBC and emailed a newspaper. I also started several specific threads here on cruise critic and kept at least one of them current, in case Cunard monitors this site; I wanted them to see that their actions are not taken lying down. That is what YOU should be doing. Channel your concern into action in the appropriate places. When you write it on threads like this, then it may not be visible to Cunard.

If a store advertised an item for "$xxx for buyers who complexion is not ***** , but if your skin is *****, then you have to pay 2 x $xxx plus and additional $400" the uproar would be unprecedented.

Yet substitute "solo" for *****, and the Cunard name and it is acceptable, a business decision, and many other reasons why to suggest Cunard is biased, makes me the bad gal????

You may be interested to know that before I took any action over here, I contacted our local Trading Standards people, to see if such discrimination is legal. I was forwarded to another department who checked and told me that there is nothing in the UK (and EU?) discrimination law that protects singles. When I look around me, all the time I see marketing decisions that are biased in favour of couples and families. Usually they involve small amounts of money so we forget about them. We need to accept that Cunard is doing no more than many other businesses. The others get away with them because we consumers don't find it worth challenging them. In the UK we have challenged Cunard and they have changed the policy. Actually, in our phone conversation Mr Gerard Tempest said that as soon as he saw what the policy is, he instituted a change. Is he aware that it is still happening in the USA? Perhaps not! Write to him.

Hi Jimsgirl. I have read through this thread and the only mention of stress I can find is mine when I said: 'I spend a lot of time trying to make my life as stress-free as possible, so I tend not to let myself panic unless I'm sure it's justified.'

If you look back, that was in reference to my suggestion that we first determine if the OP was talking about a glitch or a reversal of Cunard's UK policy. I still believe my advice was good: determine the facts before you get yourself stressed.

Be aware that we were talking about UK prices, not about those in the USA. It was not a general observation but a specific one.

As for the solo situation: I was concerned enough about the difference in prices to contact the BBC, and I appeared on a TV show here. Again, I became indignant (rather than stressed) and took any action possible. I wrote to Cunard, emailed the BBC and emailed a newspaper. I also started several specific threads here on cruise critic and kept at least one of them current, in case Cunard monitors this site; I wanted them to see that their actions are not taken lying down. That is what YOU should be doing. Channel your concern into action in the appropriate places. When you write it on threads like this, then it may not be visible to Cunard.

Have written to Cunard, earlier this year, result total silence, not even a computer generated 101" thank you for your letter "type of answer.

I am sure you will agree, that the amount of extra here is not "small" , Cunard may say the solo supplement is 75%, but in this particular case it is twice the quoted advertised price p,p, and an extra $400 which is over half again.

There is no way this "gouging" of solo passengers can be justified, and we both know that there are those posters who will justify it no matter what, because it does not affect them , either because they have partners still living, or to put it frankly they have so much money, $800 or $900 is "chicken feed", they spend more than that on Jimmy Choo shoes., or a sweater.

I cruise Cunard for the sea days, for the formality, but (and I am not pleading "poverty ") like MANY OTHERS I do have to save "the pennies" in order to pay for even the least expensive cabin, and I can never afford a facial or a massage on board.

An extra $800 to me (and others) can mean NO CRUISE. I just wish the "big spenders" would walk in the shoes of the average solo.

Unlike UK we do not have a truth in advertising law, and USA being so large, each state has its own "querks" (that which is illegal in Florida is not necessarily illegal in any other state) and no National TV/Radio channel.

In the UK we have challenged Cunard and they have changed the policy. Actually, in our phone conversation Mr Gerard Tempest said that as soon as he saw what the policy is, he instituted a change. Is he aware that it is still happening in the USA? Perhaps not! Write to him.

All major decisions are made in Miami. Gerard Tempest is just a front man.

I cruise Cunard for the sea days, for the formality, but (and I am not pleading "poverty ") like MANY OTHERS I do have to save "the pennies" in order to pay for even the least expensive cabin, and I can never afford a facial or a massage on board.

An extra $800 to me (and others) can mean NO CRUISE. I just wish the "big spenders" would walk in the shoes of the average solo.

Yes, I am the same. My last cruise was in April, chosen deliberately because I could see what would happen to solo travellers after that. I saw some wonderful deals in the next 4 months, one especially that I would have liked to take if it had been open to solo travellers. I am looking at a cruise departing in 8 days, and waiting a few more days to see if the price drops. That's life; we choose according to our income.

In my opinion, people on these boards have not been disparaging of the effect that Cunard's solo policy has on us; I have found people to be very supportive.

I'm sorry that Cunard did not respond to your letter. I received a lovely phone call from a woman in customer services. In response to a later letter about something else, I received a phone call from Gerard Tempest. Persevere. It's better to write a letter to Cunard than to write a message here. If I were you, knowing that the policy has changed in the UK, I would be writing or emailing each time I found a deal that discriminated against singles.

Archived