Summit "Live" 9/21/13 Havana Daydreamin in a Northern Latitude

Havana Daydreamin

I don't have any from the spa area other than these workout area pictures.

gymequipmentmore_zpsec384fc2.jpg

gymequipment_zpsafde8e8e.jpg

Well that seems to be about all the ship pictures that I have that turned out ok...IF I have a chance I will try to follow up.

I have to go through these again, but for now I think I might only have missed a request for some bar menus.

If I have missed yours, I apologize, but it is vacation after all and like I said, there has to be some surprises!!!!

Blessings to all the readers as I wrap up and turn in for sweet slumber!

Loving your review, especially all the pictures! We were on Summit Sept 2-7 for the final cruise to Bermuda. Have you had good bar service? We found it very lacking, for the first time in our three Celebrity cruises, especially at the Martini bar. The two young men there were surly and rude, and would hardly even wait on anybody! Hope it's better now. Thanks again for all the great narratives and pictures of your Canada cruise! Hope your wife feels better very quickly and can enjoy the rest of the trip.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your kind "get well" wishes. Please pass them on to Barbara as it is her turn and she did not get to go on the tour. However, she told me to alot of pictures and I DID!:D

I did go on the Quebec Countryside tour and had a BLAST!!!

The scenery was fantastic.

Pictures should be forthcoming as I am in the terminal on the free wifi and it is tremendously fast.

I think I am going to put up a couple night cityscapes of Quebec City....Chateau Frotenac and some other pretty buildings that are dominating the city skyline.

So sorry to hear that Barbara got sick as well. That is a shame! We hope she feels completely well very soon. Judy and Bill

Both of us had shortlived illnesses.

Barbara is in fantastic shape today as am I. We look forward to a nice exploration of Quebec City on our own today.

Hopefully, I can use some wifi in the terminal to post a picture or two. At least the Celebrity Today's from yesterday and today.

Best Regards to all!

OH...bright sun and warmth is on tap for this day!

Loving your review, especially all the pictures! We were on Summit Sept 2-7 for the final cruise to Bermuda. Have you had good bar service? We found it very lacking, for the first time in our three Celebrity cruises, especially at the Martini bar. The two young men there were surly and rude, and would hardly even wait on anybody! Hope it's better now. Thanks again for all the great narratives and pictures of your Canada cruise! Hope your wife feels better very quickly and can enjoy the rest of the trip.

Our bar service has been sufficient. We have not been to the Martini Bar as of yet. DANGIT! Where does the time go and why can I not drink as much as I wish??!!:D:D

Both of us had shortlived illnesses.

Barbara is in fantastic shape today as am I. We look forward to a nice exploration of Quebec City on our own today.

Hopefully, I can use some wifi in the terminal to post a picture or two. At least the Celebrity Today's from yesterday and today.

Best Regards to all!

OH...bright sun and warmth is on tap for this day!

We are glad to hear that both of you are well now. There was a recent posting on the Cruise Critic message board for the October 5 sailing that said the CDC is involved with the Norovirus on the Summit. They are trying to find the source of the virus. We hope the problem is fixed before we board. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise! Judy & Bill

We are glad to hear that both of you are well now. There was a recent posting on the Cruise Critic message board for the October 5 sailing that said the CDC is involved with the Norovirus on the Summit. They are trying to find the source of the virus. We hope the problem is fixed before we board. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise! Judy & Bill

Yes, I filled out a CDC form yesterday. It seems they were pointing to last Sunday and Monday as their point of interest.

Here is what I found on the CDC website this morning:

Investigation Update on the Celebrity Summit

Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruise Lines

Cruise Ship: Celebrity Summit

Voyage Dates: September 21 – October 5, 2013

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 294 of 2,110 (13.9%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 13 of 951 (1.4%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruise Lines and the crew aboard the ship have taken the following actions:

• Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
  • Collected stool specimens from ill passengers and crew and offloaded them in Halifax, Canada for testing by Health Canada, with results positive for Norovirus
  • Making announcements to both notify onboard passengers of the outbreak and encourage case reporting,
  • Making reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP twice daily
  • Consulting with CDC on plans for:
    • Passenger notification procedures and turnaround plans scheduled to take place in Bayonne, New Jersey on 5 October,
    • Disembarkation plans for active cases, terminal and transport infection control procedures.

VSP is working with Health Canada officials as the ship sails in Canada on its way to Bayonne, New Jersey (arrival in the US is scheduled for October 5, 2013). VSP is providing remote monitoring and support from Atlanta, GA and is planning a field response. VSP will send one Epidemiologist and one Environmental Health Officer to meet the ship and conduct and epidemiologic investigation, targeted environmental health assessment, and monitor the sanitation procedures onboard prior to the embarkation of new passengers on October 5, 2013 in Bayonne, New Jersey. Specimens were collected and offloaded in Halifax, Canada for testing in Health Canada’s laboratory, confirming the cause of the outbreak is norovirus.

Judy

And here is the information I found online about norovirus:

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus. It can spread quickly in closed places like daycare centers, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships. Norovirus is the leading cause of illness from contaminated food in the United States. Foods commonly involved in outbreaks: leafy greens, fresh fruits, shellfish (such as oysters). But, any food served raw or handled after being cooked can get contaminated. Anyone can get infected with norovirus and get sick. Also, you can get norovirus illness many times in your life. One reason for this is that there are many different types of noroviruses. Being infected with one type of norovirus may not protect you against other types.Symptoms of norovirus infection include diarrhea, throwing up, nausea, and stomach cramping. Other, less common symptoms may include low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and general sense of fatigue. Norovirus illness is usually not serious. Most people get better in 1­ to 2 days. But, norovirus illness can be serious in young children, the elderly, and people with other health conditions; it can lead to severe dehydration, hospitalization and even death. If you have norovirus, drink plenty of liquids to replace fluid lost from throwing up and diarrhea. This will help prevent dehydration. Norovirus can be found in your stool (feces) even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better.

People with norovirus illness are contagious from the moment they begin feeling sick until at least 3 days after they recover. But, some people may be contagious for even longer.

You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth. This usually happens by: eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).

Stop the spread of norovirus: Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet, changing diapers and before eating or preparing food. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. These alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water. Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and cook oysters and other shellfish thoroughly before eating them. Do not prepare food while infected. Clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces using a bleach-based household cleaner or a solution made with 5 tablespoons to 1.5 cups of household bleach per 1 gallon of water. Wash laundry thoroughly: Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated. Handle soiled items carefully, without agitating them, to avoid spreading virus. If available, wear rubber or disposable gloves while handling soiled clothing or linens and wash your hands after handling. The items should be washed with detergent at the maximum available cycle length and then machine dried.

Judy

Thanks, mommo6, for all the good information. I wanted to highlight one sentence in the information about norovirus, as I think there is a misconception that hand sanitizer is as good as hand washing, which is not true!:eek:

"Stop the spread of norovirus: Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet, changing diapers and before eating or preparing food. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. These alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

Havanadreamin, so glad your wife's illness was short-lived!

Thanks, mommo6, for all the good information. I wanted to highlight one sentence in the information about norovirus, as I think there is a misconception that hand sanitizer is as good as hand washing, which is not true!:eek:

"Stop the spread of norovirus: Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet, changing diapers and before eating or preparing food. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. These alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

Havanadreamin, so glad your wife's illness was short-lived!

Thanks a bunch!!!

We were told explicitly and FORCEFULLY by one crew member that washing hands IS NOT SANITIZING!

He will be referenced by name in a letter to Celebrity once we get back. I know you can take it for what it's worth on webmd, but it says that sanitizers do NOT kill the virus. That can only be done with bleach. The recommendation was wash, wash, wash, wash, and keep your hands out of your mouth! :)

We also believe that we are only going to drink bottled water from now on as well as it seems that it can spread by water also.

Once again you all have read my opine about the servers who touch used utensils. Come serve your food without sanitizing. I have watched it throughout the cruise. I think to get on top of it, the way food is served is definitely going to have to be addressed more than putting saran wrap in front of the buffet displays and the like.

That all said, we are having a blast. Today was wonderful and I am in the terminal to put up an overview of the day and a few pictures.

Best Regards to all!

Glad to see that you are on the mend. Great pics and info. Was there a shuttle into town or was walking an option? Not sure if the Oct 5 cruise-will dock at same location?

If you dock by the old port, walking is rather easy!

Our tour guide mentioned yesterday that we were originally scheduled to dock elsewhere (by the grain terminal) That would have been a MUCH longer walk but doable.

We left ship after a leisurely breakfast and walked on the Boardwalk to the Marina almost to the Farmer's Market. It was maybe like 5 blocks tops.

It was there that we crossed a main thoroughfare to where the cliff wall was easily visible. We strolled past coffee shops with happy patrons and artist boutiques and antique stores on our way to the main part of Old Port.

Here was one of the emptier streets we walked down before people got out.

morningemptystreet_zpscd7b0e1b.jpg

We walked down this area leisurely until arriving at "The Bend"...I can't tell you the name in French, but I believe that was the translation provided on the signage. There we beheld these sights.

BendsceneinOldPort_zps8aabaa8d.jpg

BendtoKingLouisplaza_zps5baea834.jpg

By the church there is a plaza with a statue bust of Louis XIV and these sights.

kinglouiscirclelaterday_zps03cefa42.jpg

We continued strolling the streets and visited a couple shops.

There are a variety of musicians who come and go throughout the day. They perform for donations and also have CDs available for purchase. The guitar and red accordion player were marvelous! They moved before, we made up our mind to purchase a CD and we were not in the mood to chase around to find them, IF we even could.

Finally, we arrived at the intersection below the Funiculaire. We rode it up to the upper boardwalk area. It is $2.50 US per person each way.

StreettoFuniculaire_zps27ff02c7.jpg

First things first! A picture of Summit docked at Old Port Quebec City.

summitatdock_zpsa631e615.jpg

upperboardwalkbyFrontenac_zps82cda95b.jpg

You can walk this boardwalk to the fortification area. We did not venture up the stairs there, however. Another time.

We considered taking a carriage ride. It looked delightful.

carriage_zpsfb3f9986.jpg

BUT, the horses were a bit rank! Not like a rank bucking horse in 'ol Dodge City, but in odor. It is a 35 minute tour ride and the cost is $90. That was a bit steep for us at that point.

We wandered a bit more. Rested on the multitude of park benches around and then took the Funiculaire down to Old Port again.

funiculairedown_zps596d0ec1.jpg

Here are a few select street scenes.

This hopefully will give a flavor of the beauty and fun that awaits the visitor to Old Quebec City.

We returned to the Summit and Barbara went on board while I spent time uploading pictures and making these posts in the terminal.

By the way, this terminal is very clean and it is secured. There are a host of chairs and tables to utilize the free wifi. NOTE NOT TO USE Celebrity wifi as it can be connected to in the terminal. RATHER, use Celebrity Summit (free). It is of good speed and I almost felt like I was on my own system at home.

Tomorrow is a sea day on our way to Charlottetown, PEI. Our last tour is then. Of course, it is the Photography Tour. I hope this amateur can hold his own among other professionals!

Thanks to all for visiting Old Quebec City with us! I hope you enjoyed it as much as we enjoy sharing it!

Best Regards to all!

OldPortStreetScene_zps830a9ad1.jpg

bouyparktrees_zps028131bd.jpg

streetsceneagain_zps1174c22e.jpg

restaurantrow_zps06d17ce8.jpg

Have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. The photos and your commentary are wonderful. Thanks for making the time to do this for all of us.

DW and I are on the next cruise Oct 5th, so hurry home. Sounds like we have a deep cleaning delay coming on Saturday so we'll be prepared.