Summit "Live" 9/21/13 Havana Daydreamin in a Northern Latitude

Havana Daydreamin

The morning was spent in short sleeve polo shirt on the Sunset Bar with my beloved wife, a Carillo maduro, a bloody mary. We enjoyed the sun and the water all morning long. We saw another spout from a whale but not the whale itself.

After lunch we did some shopping. This next picture is for my Brother-in-law on my wife's side of the family.

Fuente_zps9fe4036e.jpg

How about we share them when we get back to Dodge City? What do you think, Steve?

The sanitizers are almost insane today as well! LOL What I do not get is why the servers are not sanitizing in between serving tables. My wife keeps saying they probably do, but I have observed many times where they go from one table after picking up used utensils to serve at another table without any sanitizing. I know they are trying to do their best, but there are so very many inconsistencies in their protocol. In some part, I think it is due to crew who are not necessarily accustomed to the procedures.

Anyway, a delightful day so far. I took this shot because I found it unique off of deck 11 door to the stairs down to the Sunset Bar.

portholeaft_zps0f5c9c6e.jpg

And, of course, the beautiful wake.

wake_zps2f3e2100.jpg

Thank you for the narrative and the photos. It is quite an experience, even simply following along with you. We will be on this cruise in 2014 - same bat time, same bat channel - if you remember what I mean. ;)

Why don't you also join us on the January 11, 2014 Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse? I know we don't know you, but I'm a fellow mid-westerner (though I've been a New Yorker for 48 years) but the Ohio still runs deep in my veins.

Beth

Beth,

I remember the bat time and bat channel well!

Appreciate the invite, but we have a wedding of our daughter in April that is taking our attention for 2014.

However, we have Serenade on RCI out of New Orleans booked for January 2015.:)

Well, the blessing of health for me ended last evening. I retired early to the cabin to battle this illness. I seem to have recovered from it quickly.

Hence, no pictures from last night or the Celebrity Today so far.

That said, I have enjoyed the vistas from the ship this morning of Quebec City. I will let the images speak for themselves.

quebeccityvistafromship_zps76077942.jpg

Chateaufromship_zps8d6c0bbd.jpg

SailingSunday_zpsc9d9f5c4.jpg

The Funicular from the ship.

funicular_zps76ff190a.jpg

The Countryside Tour begins at 1:45 PM. I look forward to it. Weather is magnificent. Bright blue skies and forecast high of 70. There might even be some sunbathers at the pool deck this afternoon.

You are quite welcome for the memory. All my pictures in dining venues are non flash and quite quick.

Havana, you are ruining my appetite for the lowly, home cooked, goodies that I have....

Seriously, though, your review is GREAT, the pictures of your destinations are so good that I mentioned to my DW that some of them look like the ones you get on postcards or even jigsaw puzzles.

Now I'm really looking forward to my upcoming bermuda trip in Aqua Class and I'm even thinking of booking a NE/Canada Cruise.

Keep up the GREAT Reviewing !!! Happy Cruising.

Steve

Well, the blessing of health for me ended last evening. I retired early to the cabin to battle this illness. I seem to have recovered from it quickly.

We are sorry to hear that you didn't feel well yesterday, but glad that you recovered quickly. We hope that you stay well for the remainder of the cruise, and beyond. So, instead of Celebrity giving you some nice perks for all the great postings that you have done, which has generated interest in this cruise, you got sick! Wow! Not a very good reward! Well, at least you have the reward of all of our compliments and thanks for all of the great information and pictures that you have provided. Thanks again! Judy & Bill

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your kind "get well" wishes. Please pass them on to Barbara as it is her turn and she did not get to go on the tour. However, she told me to alot of pictures and I DID!:D

I did go on the Quebec Countryside tour and had a BLAST!!!

The scenery was fantastic.

Pictures should be forthcoming as I am in the terminal on the free wifi and it is tremendously fast.

I think I am going to put up a couple night cityscapes of Quebec City....Chateau Frotenac and some other pretty buildings that are dominating the city skyline.

This is a four hour tour but there are stops along the way so that you are not sitting in the bus for four hours.

Our tour guide was an informative young lady by the name of Guenneviev (sp?) who is well informed and animated so that she was a delight to listen to. She explained parts of old Quebec and new Quebec as we made our way first into the Laurentian foothills for our first stop at Lac Beauport. We had about a 1 minute photo op.

lacbeauport_zpsefada157.jpg

lacbeauport1_zpsaa569b22.jpg

lacbeauportlaurentianfoothills_zpsc652f028.jpg

lacbeauportparkinglot_zps727a5ff5.jpg

The guide indicated that the trees are about 10 days from being done in the Luarentian Mtn. foothills. You can see some trees that are leafless already. That said, she thought in Quebec City and lower lands that they were about 10 days from peak. Weather permitting of course.

You can see that the weather today was exquisite! High of 70 degrees fahrenheit and very little wind.

They say the forecast for tomorrow is similar!

Edited by Havana Daydreamin

There was a brief ride through the foothills down to Montmorency Falls. When I say down, I mean DOWN! The mountains are not that high, but it was interesting to see grade signs of 12% and 13%.

We had roughly 50 minutes at Manoir Montmorency and a self-guided tour around the falls. You start with a cake and coffee/tea in the Manoir. Realistically, this could be skipped if you want to spend your time enjoying the vistas. (Just my afterthought)

Here are select pictures of the falls.

First, a treescape by the falls.

Montmorencytreescape_zps422abf41.jpg

montmorencyfallstop_zpsd8b6d426.jpg

MontmorencyFallsunderbridge_zps49d99fca.jpg

MontmorencyFallsrainbow_zps731a8081.jpg

MontmorencyFallsfirstsight_zps1c04d926.jpg

It was a short drive over to the Il d Orleans for the visit to the Sugar Shack.

The family farm on which it is located is a 9 generation farm! AMAZING!!!

This is a selection of pictures from there. As a point of note, because it was a Sunday and the weather so nice the traffic that we met on the way was bumper to bumper. The reason: nice weather, a Sunday, and the apple harvest so people were coming to pick fresh apples. There were some very nice fields and farm homes. Though, as a farm boy, it was not quite as I would think of a farm. It was pretty village like.

An interesting note about the farms on the island is they all run from the hill to the river. Historically, when river travel was important, this gave everyone access to the water.

On to the pictures.

sugarshacksign_zps5ef82a11.jpg

sugarshackdemos_zps1c7dbe01.jpg

sugarshacktrees3_zps15aecefa.jpg

sugarshacktreesoutside_zps210e41e5.jpg

An example of how the farm fields were laid out.

farmscape_zpsec18ea35.jpg

Deck5legend_zps27aa8b13.jpg

Deck4legend_zps664d4617.jpg

Deck3legend_zpsa054032a.jpg

That is about it for the deck legend maps. I know they are from different parts of the ship, but it gives a general idea on the locations of places to be.

Easiest to remember is that the dining venues are midship and then toward the aft. Everything else seemed really easy to find.

We have found aft elevator access to be easy, quick and convenient to all parts of the ship.

Edited by Havana Daydreamin

I don't have all of them, of course. Mostly the main public areas, etc. As I said earlier, there has to be some surprises!:)

I will see what I can get done this evening before I leave the terminal and turn in for the night to explore Quebec City on our own tomorrow.

Blusign_zps36bd7510.jpg

BluDining_zpse1bdcbc7.jpg

Cosmpolitansign_zps29064f6c.jpg

Cosmopolitan_zps8465d867.jpg

NOW I KNOW HOW the servers traverse from galley to serving so quickly! I have never seen this kind of system before.

escalatorsdining_zps1f9acfe8.jpg

Beautiful pictures.

Who did you do the Quebec Countryside tour with? Celebrity? Private vendor?

Was there a lot of walking?

Thanks.

We are booked for next September.

We did the tour with Celebrity. There was a bit of walking to get to the falls, but it was all flat boardwalk. The only exception to that was about three dozen steps to get to the top of the falls on the suspension bridge and about 18 (just from memory) to get just below the falls to look up.

It can be done without rushing, depending on your individual mobility needs.

It was chilly so the pool outdoors was pretty much unused.

pooldeck_zpscb30fdd4.jpg

An early morning jogger on deck 11

deck11jogger_zpsbf12b7e5.jpg

The covered adult area and showers to rinse in. I forgot to get a picture of the pool apparently. One of those surprises that will await you! :o Unless, I get that before the end of our vacation.

solarium_zpsbe4d599e.jpg

solariumshowerrinse_zps4fb20bcc.jpg