Summit "Live" 9/21/13 Havana Daydreamin in a Northern Latitude

Havana Daydreamin

Thank you so much for posting during your trip and sharing your beautiful pictures. I am yest another person who never considered a cruise in New England because I grew up going to NE for vacations and, well, why bother? But your trip sounds so nice and you are seeing so much, it is definitely going on my list assuming I like our first cruise which is coming up in a couple months. I love this board and I am learning so much since I have no idea what to expect!

This is a wonderful thread, thank you so much for all of the terrific pictures and commentary! I, too am definitely going to plan this same cruise for next year, not something I had even thought of until now. :) I love seafood, so I am drooling at the thought of getting it so fresh and delicious!

Thank you so much for posting during your trip and sharing your beautiful pictures. I am yest another person who never considered a cruise in New England because I grew up going to NE for vacations and, well, why bother? But your trip sounds so nice and you are seeing so much, it is definitely going on my list assuming I like our first cruise which is coming up in a couple months. I love this board and I am learning so much since I have no idea what to expect!

My wife and I have vacationed in NE and Canada many times .We've been to every port on this cruise except for Gaspe .However ,we booked the cruise 20 months ago and cannot wait to sail.

I missed the greeting of the sun this morning. I actually did not wake up until 6:20 AM. It did not really matter much as, in fact, it was overcast. It might have also sprinkled a bit also.

We entertained going ashore to get a bite of breakfast, but changed our mind as we expected very little to be open so early as we did not have an excursion booked.

There were a handful of eateries that one could take repast from.

We opted to dine lightly in Blu. I don’t, for the life of me, know why we say lightly because it always is so filling. Barbara enjoyed a blueberry parfait with granola. I had the two eggs, ham, and baked beans. I just needed to try the baked beans out. There are not really actual baked beans, but only “pork & beans” heated up. They were still tasty and did the trick.

We gathered our camera and jackets and proceeded to Rendevous lounge on Deck 4 to receive our “tender ticket” and to wait patiently to be called. We made it onto the Tender and were ashore at Bar Harbor around 9:15 leaving us plenty of time to wander on foot.

We found a shop called The Man Cave. Lot’s of cool things there to entertain oneself with and some nice cigars well kept in a humidor also. They were modest in price. This is a REALLY NEAT little shop....just walk down main street toward the mountain. It is not far past the park square The proprietor was very nice!

Arcadiaparkmtn_zpsd975135f.jpg

treeatpark_zpsb814667f.jpg

We did some purchases there. We wandered on the lookout for Blueberry Jam to ship back to Barbara’s workmates at home. We were successful in that venture leaving time to do a bit more exploration and then off to lunch before it got too busy.

streetscenebypark2_zps5d7b34c4.jpg

streetscenebypark_zps38203752.jpg

mainstreetscene2_zps9915d3ea.jpg

buildingonmainstreet_zps879d3b9d.jpg

The Norwegian Gem was in the harbor along with the Summit. So it was quite busy for a small community. We had inquired in a nice outdoor clothing store about where a nice place to go would be. The manager recommended Galyn’s which was like two doors down. We walked right in and were kindly seated upstairs with a nice view of the harbor. The staff was professional and helpful to answer every question put their way.

Generalstreetscene_zps5ced0580.jpg

Galynsexterior2_zps0cdc43fa.jpg

GalynsExteriro_zpsa21dfd38.jpg

Galynsinterior_zps75c9717f.jpg

Our server was Maggie! (HOWDY MAGGIE!!!...if you found your way to read this!) She was so very pleasant and helpful. She directed us in our choices regarding Lobster Biskets as appetizer or Lobster Roll. As she correctly stated in hindsight, you can find lobster rolls “everywhere” (well maybe here...but not so in ‘ol Dodge City!) so we opted for the biskets. They were pleasant and an experience to know what they were.

GalynsStarters_zpsbac12e58.jpg

Galynsentrees_zpsda2bd985.jpg

lobsterbiskets_zps8e6dece3.jpg

blueberryale_zps1ca9c328.jpg

We enjoyed Bar Harbor Real Ale and Blueberry Ale with the meal. Both of us liked each ale very much.

Then the main event that we would also share was a 2 pound lobster. She tied “Lobster Bib’s” on each of us and gave us a little coaching of where to start. That was all we needed and she left us to our business. I kept asking if were were impressing her as she came to check on our needs regularly! She was very kind to tell us that we, in fact, did impress her with our deconstruction of the creature from the briney deep!

Bibpicture_zpsafee2220.jpg

lobsterreadytoeat_zpsf26effe3.jpg

lobsterpickedclean_zpsbf1be91a.jpg

We enjoyed Bar Harbor Real Ale and Blueberry Ale with the meal. Both of us liked each ale very much.

After leaving, I took a few more pictures and we tendered back to the Summit for some relaxation and for me to type up this summary of the day so far.

parktteeatgalyns_zpsbaba9284.jpg

More evidence of trees turning.

summitinbarharbor_zps04bdfb6a.jpg

A tender bringing happy guests ashore.

Tenderin_zpse1c29544.jpg

Upon return to our cabin, we had a note from the cabin regarding “gastrointestinal illness” that a “small percentage” of guests had. We know of at least one and yesterday were told that it was five that were quarantined. You could definitely detect increased vigilance on disinfecting.

I pray that we are spared, but that is one of many reasons that I simply refuse to eat in the buffet. To my observation, people were still able to serve themselves from many stations.

Coast Guard skiff is just going by to give us a howdy as we prepare for departure in 30 minutes. THANK YOU to the USCG for their vigilance over us!

The last two pictures until dinner are of more evidence of trees turning colorful and lobster traps leaving me to ponder if perchance our lobster meal was taken by one of them.

lobstertraps_zps2c243c02.jpg

morecolortree_zps94c1aef3.jpg

These are earlier than normal as I have not gone for an evening cigar yet.

Hopefully, (said with a smile) this will atone for my delays with such a late meal last night! LOL

We have tour tomorrow and it is a later “All Aboard” time, so I might be late tomorrow.

So enjoy the foretaste of Celebrity Tomorrow......Today.

Off to enjoy pre-dinner drink and then dinner!

CTpageONE_zps8c9acc83.jpg

CTPageTWO_zpsdf40f97a.jpg

CTPageTHREE_zpsad849144.jpg

CTPageFOUR_zps64afb8f0.jpg

I was just on this cruise 2 weeks ago and in Bar Harbor and your pictures look nicer than the real thing. You have a terrific photographic eye.

Wow, what was wrong with Bar Harbor?

Can't believe they are doing a late night show with Michele Balan. We asked her on our cruise and she told us they didn't want her to do one. I also asked the cruise director and he just said they had other things planned. But we never had any late night comedy.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with aspects of your cruise as you've mentioned on occasion here, but many of us are enjoying the OP's commentary. Maybe you should post a review of your earlier trip.

I posted earlier in your thread but had to come back and say wow!

We booked this cruise for next year because we wanted to see New England and also tomorrow (27) is our anniversary, we have been away for birthdays but not for anniversaries so thought lets change the cruising time a bit and fit that in.

After we booked, know alls told us we had made a huge mistake, we would not see any autumn colour, we should have done a road trip in October. October is not an option for us work wise, so we thought, ok let's enjoy the trip anyway and see if we like New England. I was happy.

Then last night I saw your pics, ok, I saw one pic in particular, I know it is only one tree, but if I see one tree like that next year I will be so so happy. Thank you for seriously cranking up the excitement meter for me with these lovely images of your visits to each port, I look forward to reading the rest and I hope we can keep this thread 100% focused on your experiences and pictures :D

After we booked, know alls told us we had made a huge mistake, we would not see any autumn colour, we should have done a road trip in October. October is not an option for us work wise, so we thought, ok let's enjoy the trip anyway and see if we like New England. I was happy.

According to my BIL who lives in Canada, it's the below zero temps that start the colour change.

If this is true, there should be more change in colour the further north you travel.

It was certainly true when I travelled to Thunder Bay, 21st Sept-4th Oct 1995.

I arrived to completely green trees. That night, there was a frost (-5c) and gradually the trees changed to the most beautiful yellows & reds.

Fingers crossed for you ( and possibly us) it's obviously down to the prevailing weather conditions.

Wednesday evening dinner

The appetizers are smoked trout and frog legs! Both were delightfully YUMMY!!

smokedTrout_zpse9271568.jpg

froglegs_zps071f47f7.jpg

Salad and a Creamy White Bean Soup were next.

salad_zpsd6213fe5.jpg

whitebeansoup_zps9e6cb119.jpg

The entree was Pan Seared Halibut! Now we love to eat the fish as we just do not get that quality of product where we live. This was wrapped in a phyllo dough type wrapping. This held the fish together while being cooked. The dough was not heavy whatsoever and the fish absolutely moist. It was served over a very nice corn, pea, & tomato sauce mixture. AND YES.....that is bacon chunks in the sauce under the halibut!:D

PanSearedHalibut_zps9a4a49fb.jpg

Dessert was a Cremoux (sp?) I cannot remember since I forgot to get a picture of the dessert menu! What was I thinking!!!?? Probably about how wonderful the the dinner was!! I had the New York Cheesecake with carmel sauce.

Barbarasdessert_zps57ee537c.jpg

NewYorkCheesecake_zpsfe769abe.jpg

Due to the health protocol, they now served bread rather than setting it at the table. The matrede also indicated that he could not carry our wine glasses as he had done other evenings. Bathroom attendants (anyway in the ladies) were busy disinfecting the sinks and counters. Diligent efforts are being made to battle the “small percentage” of gastrointestinal cases to keep it from becoming a larger percentage. Keep it up, crew!!!! We thank you!

Time moved forward to match the new time zone through the evening.

We are off to Peggy’s Cove this morning with a 40% chance of showers forecast with high in the mid 50’s climbing to 60 if the sun comes out in the afternoon as forecast.

After the tour, there will be ample opportunity to do some “on our own” exploration of Halifax before returning to the Summit.

I posted earlier in your thread but had to come back and say wow!

Then last night I saw your pics, ok, I saw one pic in particular, I know it is only one tree, but if I see one tree like that next year I will be so so happy. Thank you for seriously cranking up the excitement meter for me with these lovely images of your visits to each port, I look forward to reading the rest and I hope we can keep this thread 100% focused on your experiences and pictures :D

Happy Anniversary and Thanks for your kind regards!

Good morning from the coast of Nova Scotia! It is still dark out and not morning sun greeting. It seems unlikely with the weather forecast.

I know there a a few items that I have not gotten to yet, for instance the menu for lunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe. Hopefully over the weekend with a two day stop I can look back and perhaps address what I have missed.

Thank you for enjoying your "virtual cruise" with us! Again, I so enjoy reading these from home and appreciate the opportunity to return the favor. AND, I have fun doing it!

For those sailing in 1138 in the future, I am working with maintenance to address the door situation. I am a farm boy and I see no great place to put a bungie cord as suggested to hold the verandah door closed without the hook being on the neighbors verandah. I do not mean to be a nuisance to anyone, but this should be of some concern for their energy system, especially going back to the Caribbean soon.

Best Regards to all!

Havana, nice job.

We've eaten at Galyn's many times and love it; great place.

There is a neat cigar shop up the hill on the same side of the street from Gayln's; is that the shop you went to?

Several visits we stayed at the "Harborside Hotel" in Sept/early Oct. It was cool to open the curtains and see a large cruise ship in the harbor. Never saw more than one though. The Summit and the Gem are a lot of ship for that harbor.

Havana, nice job.

We've eaten at Galyn's many times and love it; great place.

There is a neat cigar shop up the hill on the same side of the street from Gayln's; is that the shop you went to?

Several visits we stayed at the "Harborside Hotel" in Sept/early Oct. It was cool to open the curtains and see a large cruise ship in the harbor. Never saw more than one though. The Summit and the Gem are a lot of ship for that harbor.

No, I saw it, but did not go in as we wanted to maximize our dining experience at Galyn's.

We saw nicely kept cigars at The Man Store just past the park farther up on Main St.

:D I brought ample supply from my humidor to last me through the cruise!

The only place to enjoy a cigar is on port side of the Sunset Bar. It has worked well and I have received no real complaints. There are several who enjoy a nice stick that frequent this area.

I was waiting for my wife to get back and we get our NFL picks made since there is a game this evening. But I think I will log off and get back on later for her.

Kind regards to all!