Summit "Live" 9/21/13 Havana Daydreamin in a Northern Latitude

Havana Daydreamin

Thanks for the great photos and advice. It's getting us very excited about our trip next week , although that will mean yours is over :(. We were going to bring the bungie cord, but may opt for a dowel instead. I think my husband used the cabin's umbrella a few times, which helped the door issue, but hated using that , as we didn't want to damage the umbrella.

I was weaned on cigars. I grew up in Central Connecticut, close to the CT River Valley reknowed for it's shade grown tobacco cigar wrappers. We lived across the street from a VP of what was then Cullbro Tobacco (Cullman Brothers), eventually bought by General Cigar. He would bring over 3-4 boxes of cigars for my Dad to try and 'test" almost every week. Interesting times.

Today most of that land has been sold and developed. Sad.

I remember sitting on my Dad's lap and asking him to blow smoke rings. Guess that would be "PC" incorrect of a parent in today's world but I loved it.

I used to partake now and then, mostly on the golf course but the next day I"d always suffer from anxiety so gave them up.

But, to this day, when smelling a good cigar, I think of my Dad.

Edited by emcee207

I have to add my thanks as well. This is the best "live" post I have ever read. I have never even considered this itinerary - we're warm weather Caribbean folk - but it has just moved to the top of my list! Thanks again for all of the work you are doing. I feel like I am taking the cruise along with you! We're on the Summit in November, taking the same cruise we did last year because we enjoyed the itinerary, the Summit and Celebrity so much. We're in Aqua class again and the Blu menus are making me anticipate our cruise even more.

Good morning from the coast of Nova Scotia! It is still dark out and not morning sun greeting. It seems unlikely with the weather forecast.

I know there a a few items that I have not gotten to yet, for instance the menu for lunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe. Hopefully over the weekend with a two day stop I can look back and perhaps address what I have missed.

Thank you for enjoying your "virtual cruise" with us! Again, I so enjoy reading these from home and appreciate the opportunity to return the favor. AND, I have fun doing it!

For those sailing in 1138 in the future, I am working with maintenance to address the door situation. I am a farm boy and I see no great place to put a bungie cord as suggested to hold the verandah door closed without the hook being on the neighbors verandah. I do not mean to be a nuisance to anyone, but this should be of some concern for their energy system, especially going back to the Caribbean soon.

Best Regards to all!

We were just thinking that Celebrity should be paying you, or at least giving you some good perks, for being such a great ambassador for them. Judging from some of the posts, it looks as though you have generated more interest and business for Celebrity for this itinerary. Celebrity - take notice! Judy & Bill

Hey Iris!

Demodawn: how are you? We almost booked this cruise instead of the Oct. 5 cruise. How funny? Eliger is also on your cruise I think. Remember Thom and Mari? We became really great friends. We are doing RCCL Panama Canal together. I see this is a great trip. Enjoy the food and scenery. Hope it still great weather for us too! Any excursion recommendations here? We booked everything with the ship...no Barb excursions to join! This live report is fabulous!

OMG! I am so enjoying your day-by-day account. We are on the Summit in Nov and learning much about the food, but not too much about the ship itself. Can you offer any insight into this? Absolutely love your pics. As a Cdn, we are in the midst of fall colours here at home. You should see some nice colours as your cruise continues. Thanks again. I look forward daily to reading your posts. We need more like these from others.

OMG! I am so enjoying your day-by-day account. We are on the Summit in Nov and learning much about the food, but not too much about the ship itself. Can you offer any insight into this? Absolutely love your pics. As a Cdn, we are in the midst of fall colours here at home. You should see some nice colours as your cruise continues. Thanks again. I look forward daily to reading your posts. We need more like these from others.

I have a bunch of pictures and thoughts about that, but kind of wanting to do that on a land wifi. Even at .36 per minute at the lowest, I have to choose what to do.

But, rest assured, it is in the plans.

Also, I looked at the Aqua Spa Cafe today. Pretty much buffet fare at lunch with individual signage much like OceanView Cafe. So not much I can offer on that end.

I guess there are around 90 cases of gastrointestinal illnesses at this point. That was just "elevator scuttle" so take it for what it is worth. But the crew certainly has changed their procedures and all food in Oceanview is served now. WHICH I LIKE!!!!

My personal taste is not so much on buffets because of cleanliness issues. Not just on a ship, EVERYWHERE! And since I live service every day of the year being 'on call' 24/7, I LOVE to be served and cared for on the cruise.

Best regards and thanks for all your kindness and your following along.

The leaves, by the way, are getting better. Probably be in full season in a couple weeks????

I have to see if our tour pictures are uploaded and then off to dinner.

TTFN

Have been loving your pictures and commentary!

Makes me miss the wonderful meals in Blu.:( Also makes me so excited to take this cruise next year.:)

Even though we live in RI and have visited the ports in New England on the itinerary, we have only been to Quebec City, so the other Canadian ports will be new to us.

Am looking forward to following you throughout the rest of your cruise.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us all!

Edited by Sail Girl

I had originally posted that it was overcast this morning. However, the sun did make a brief appearance before giving way to being hidden by the clouds once again.

SunriseatHarborLighthouse_zps568626f0.jpg

HarborLighthouse_zps46226bad.jpg

So, we cherished the welcome of the morning over the harbor lighthouse on the way into Halifax. This is definitely a working seaport as one could watch the unloading and loading process of cargo ships. Three cruise ships were in port today. One was Holland America Cruise Line, the Caribbean Princess, and the Summit.

This was the first organized excursion of this cruise. It was to meet outside the ship at 8:45 AM and leave at 9 AM. It was fairly timely departure on Ambassatours. David was our tour guide/narrator on the way to Peggy’s Cove. David is an retired teacher and you could really enjoy his ability and enthusiasm of describing the highlights along the way of travel through Halifax out into the country. This is definitely another place where one could spend several days to enjoy the history and the beauty.!

One note as I am typing these during the evening show with Christine Andreas. She is quite marvelous. But I digress.

I had one request from a disabled World War II veteran from home that I wish to share. He wished a prayer and thought for one of his boyhood friends. One of the neighborhood young men (back during the war and before), his name being Norman Durr, was on one of the convoy ships that staged and sailed from Halifax to Europe and sunk. Norman lost his life in these waters that we sail through this evening. Once again, the patriots who have defended the cause of liberty throughout the world are to continually be cherished and thanked!

So for the family and friends of Norman Durr a thought of gratitude and prayer of thanks ascend to our mighty Lord who watches over and defends us all!

Well, back to Peggy’s Cove. I can’t really tell you how long it took to get there as I enjoyed the scenery and narration. The scenery really changed from deciduous and coniferous trees into the barren glacially shaped seacoast where there were few trees and much granite. Granite formations were magnificent and weathered smooth. Across the landscape were large granite boulders called “erratics.”

rocksatbayshore_zps9a4da883.jpg

landscapewitherratics_zps1b3a2a78.jpg

landscapewitherratics2_zps841d1e67.jpg

I include a sampling of pictures of our 1 hour and 20 minutes at Peggy’s Cove. (I left by wife to her own and I briskly walked the village to photograph its highlights. I have many pictures to share, but will only include a few for a flavor and enticement.

One note of a poster earlier mentioned a restaurant to eat at. Unfortunately, on this tour there was no opportunity to do so. Upon the conclusion of the 1 hour and 20 minutes it was time to return to the bus and back to Halifax and ultimately the Summit.

We considered going back out, but decided to stay on board ship and enjoyed another dining experience at Bistro on Five. It was enjoyably quiet and tasty as always. Then, I enjoyed a two hour sleep in the cabin followed by editing the pictures that I will include and then dinner.

Again, thanks to all who offer their comments and suggestions. I wish I could get to all requests, but I know there have to be some pleasant surprises for each cruiser to experience on their own. So, in advance, IF I cannot provide something you are interested in, just know you will enjoy the experiences that you create as much as we are enjoying ours.

Blessings and now on to the pictures!

Lighthouse & bay view

PeggysLighthouseStMargaretBay_zps1fce3fc5.jpg

Peggy's Cove boats

PeggysCovefromrock_zps8533ba3e.jpg

Peggy's Cove lobster traps

PeggysLobstertraps_zps7935e59c.jpg

Peggy's Cove Homes

PeggysHomes_zps5a685d42.jpg

Fisherman at work for upcoming lobster season

fishermanworking_zps201993a4.jpg

Peggy's Cove Church

They hold services once a month locally and have to drive elsewhere for other days.

Churchoverflora_zpsdd595318.jpg

Peggy's Cove Flora

I wish I knew what these berries were. I did not sample! :D

FlowerBerries2_zps4b6f696e.jpg

A lasting memory of a beautiful place!

PeggysLighthouse_zps629e1e57.jpg

Just a note. There is not much time there on the tour and there is limited "shops." Some were quite disappointed as I overheard "elevator conversations."

We were not! It would be nice to spend more time to soak in the essence of the location.

Off to prepare for a new day!

Best Regards to all!

Man, seeing the MDR menu and seeing the "braized short ribs" listed made my mouth water. I can't wait to have those again!

Are you finding the weather to be chilly but not "cold" or is it getting cold at this point? I'm thinking about what kind of jackets to pack for the 10/5 sailing lol

The berries are called rose hips. Did you smell the flowers? Those roses are usually VERY fragrant.

Very popular during the war, I was brought up on 'Rose Hip Syrup.' A great source of Vitamin C, but very sweet.

It was phased out in the '60s.

I was able to buy it when my son was born, but not in 1970, for my daughter.

The evening falls as we sail away from Halifax last evening.

SunsetleavingHalifax_zps146462f4.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the Blu menu and when I did, the focus was not good. Whoops! Maybe it will repeat next week.

I did get the MDR menu, however.

MDRHalifax_zpse238af30.jpg

MDRHalifaxEntrees_zps8d1c3805.jpg

The seas are a bit choppy this morning. At least we now know for certain that we are definitely on a ship!!!!!:D

The skies are partly cloudy. Earlier they there was alot of open sky in the morning darkness.

Here is the view of the pre-dawn morning greeting and the Celebrity Today postings.

GoodMorningintheNorthAtlantic_zpsafe35612.jpg

A sampling of our dining repast from last evening.

I had citrus cured salmon and I was excited to try it as we do this at home. It was perfect.

Barbara had this appetizer and I don't know what it was called.

appetizer_zps5d62e08a.jpg

She had pasta and I had the Red Snapper for entree followed by a nice Cafe Pot de Cream (Blue Mountain Coffee Custard)

RedSnapperHalifax_zps327f307a.jpg

CafePotdecream_zps87120804.jpg

Today, we will be on another morning tour "The Heart of the Island."

Best regards and will post later in the day once again!

Thank you all for your help, especially with the berries!

OH...one more thing....no it is not too cold. We are surviving with Columbia Fleece and a rain jacket if necessary. In a few days, who knows. But pack warmer clothes than you think you might need. It gets pricey to buy them at the ports!

Oh, I want to hear about your "Heart of the Island" tour. We're signed up for that one. The reviews I've read of the Highland Village say it's very hilly, but it looks to me like there are stops along the way, not just one continuous long hill. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy,

We did the ship's Heart of the Island bus tour. The bus ride was scary as the driver drove too fast going there, but after several of us told him that, he drove more slowly on the way back. The Highland Village was really nice and the scenery up on that hill overlooking that huge lake was spectacular. Watch out for that pig who gave my husband a red mud snout mark on his tan shorts! Don't worry about the hill. The driver stops briefly at the bottom parking lot to allow people to use the bathroom, then everyone gets back on the bus and he drives you to the top of the hill and the tour begins. You gradually make your way back down the hill to where the bathrooms and the gift shop are. You also get a Scottish oak cake and a beverage at the end before you get back on the bus. Bring your camera. Hope you have a beautiful sunny day like we had.

To anyone wondering what kind of jackets to bring, you will need at least a heavy fleece jacket on this cruise. The ship itself was very chilly in the public areas each night. Quebec City was in the 40s in the mornings we were there.

Great review and pics. I could not believe how clear it was at Peggy's Cove. Been there twice and both times it was foggy.

Dress question...how dressed up are passengers for dinners on formal and casual nights?