Summit "Live" 9/21/13 Havana Daydreamin in a Northern Latitude

Havana Daydreamin

Both of us had shortlived illnesses.

Barbara is in fantastic shape today as am I. We look forward to a nice exploration of Quebec City on our own today.

Hopefully, I can use some wifi in the terminal to post a picture or two. At least the Celebrity Today's from yesterday and today.

Best Regards to all!

OH...bright sun and warmth is on tap for this day!

That is fantastic news! I'm glad whatever the illness was, was quick for you both!

I am thoroughly enjoying your live report! Thanks so much for doing this!:)

I understand your overwhelming emotion visiting the WTC memorial. I grew up in Northern Jersey, and the towers were part of the background of my life. I don't get back to NJ often, and it took me four years and the death of my father to fly to OR THROUGH Newark because I just couldn't face landing and looking out the window of the plane at what wasn't there.

I was able to visit in 2006 and was very moved. I lost a college friend in the South tower on 9/11...it was a very solemn and emotional day for me. The memory of riding the PATH train in from NJ and realizing I was looking out the train window into what was once a tower basement where so many had been killed will never leave me. Strangely enough, visiting the site was healing for me at the same time...the early signs of rebuilding and determination were just getting started. I found it comforting to know that we may have been pushed down but not knocked out.

On a happier note, I love your pictures, and especially the cabin and balcony of 1138. I have 1138 booked for a 12-night Baltic cruise on the Constellation in May, and it looks like it will be the perfect spot for this early riser, her coffee, and her camera!:D

Some miscellaneous pictures

We may know what grain elevators look like through the day.

grainelevatorday_zps059eac90.jpg

This is what they look like at night at Quebec City.

grainelevatornight_zpsa774a351.jpg

Tree scenery along IL d Orleans

treesorleans_zpsbc073f86.jpg

Sunset over the Laurentians as we leave

sundownovermtns_zps15a428cf.jpg

And with that I sign off for a restful night. We turn clocks forward one hour tonight also.

Blessings to all!

Some miscellaneous pictures

We may know what grain elevators look like through the day.

grainelevatorday_zps059eac90.jpg

This is what they look like at night at Quebec City.

grainelevatornight_zpsa774a351.jpg

Tree scenery along IL d Orleans

treesorleans_zpsbc073f86.jpg

Sunset over the Laurentians as we leave

sundownovermtns_zps15a428cf.jpg

And with that I sign off for a restful night. We turn clocks forward one hour tonight also.

Blessings to all!

Once again your pictures are spectacular. Next year cannot come fast enough. For many years I have wanted to go to Quebec and now I know why. Thank you.

Charles

Local news just stated that campers in Acadia NP have been asked to leave. Gates are being locked.

Havana... what day are you rounding Nova Scotia? They are getting hit with a storm today. High wind and rain from a storm that's been rolling up the east coast. Should have passed by 3PM tomorrow.

Local news just stated that campers in Acadia NP have been asked to leave. Gates are being locked.

Havana... what day are you rounding Nova Scotia? They are getting hit with a storm today. High wind and rain from a storm that's been rolling up the east coast. Should have passed by 3PM tomorrow.

I believe it will be on Thursday. PEI is tomorrow.

Thanks for the update!

The St. Lawrence Gulf is just such a magical place. We have seen fog in the distance as we move farther east and toward PEI.

I include a couple of seascapes of the day to illustrate its magic to me and also some of the many dophins/porpoises that we have seen today.

seascape_zpsc0f4e030.jpg

sealife_zpsb0b6eca9.jpg

seascape1_zpse4ddf7a1.jpg

They do not jump out of the water much but were abundant at a variety of places. Barbara saw the first ones today. We observed many together and I caught sight of a whale today, but was unable to document. It was about 250 yards off the port side of the ship.

We are preparing for the Captain’s Club event for this evening and then dinner.

Tomorrow is PEI and hopefully some more photos and narration.

I did learn today that there will be rooms that will selectively be “deep cleaned.” It appears that the rooms that were affected with noro will receive the most attention and marked with a red dot on the door the day of disembarkation. Well, that is the rumor of the halls anyway.

For the next cabin inhabitants here, I would recommend bringing two items. One is a rubber door stop to put in the cabin door slide when you are on the varanda. The second is some thin rubber bumpers like for pictures on the wall to put in the safe door. It rattles all night long! I just sleep on my good ear and it has not been a problem.:D

Thanks for the info since we are next in line for cabin 1138! We have so enjoyed your commentaries and beautiful photos. I have still not begun packing, but hope to think about it tomorrow! Safe travels as you finish your cruise and head back home.

Wow the seas in those pics look beautiful (and smooth as glass!)

Thanks for all the tips..and can you go put a red dot on 8046? I want to make sure it's extra clean....LOL

Your pictures are terrific (as usual), and, yes, the sea does look calm, almost as calm as the sea was on our last cruise in March 2012 on the Millennium that began in Sydney. As for putting dots on cabins so that they will get a deep cleaning, I think they should do that for ALL the cabins on the Summit before we board. They might miss some cabins that need it if they don't do them all. (Just sayin!) Judy

I contacted my TA about getting my cabin deep cleaned since havana mentioned the red dot thing...and this is what celebrity is saying - havana if you get any differing information please let me know:

I spoke directly with Celebrity regarding your concerns. They have assured me that every single room is going to be deep cleaned. Additionally, they are delaying the departure by 3 hours to ensure everything is completely free of any virus. The ship will now depart at 8:00 p.m. with no delays in the itinerary.

They are also going to completely clean the cruise terminal, so they advise not to get there before 2:00 p.m. To be on the safe side, I would recommend bringing those disposable gloves when handling any items in the buffet. The ship provides anti-bacterial hand cleaner as well.

Peggy's Cove Flora

I wish I knew what these berries were. I did not sample! :D

Havana Daydreamer, I haven't gotten all the way through your entire thread yet, so not sure if someone else may already have answered this for you, but those "berries" that so intrigued you were not really berries at all. They're actually rose hips, the "fruit" or seed pod of the wild rose plant. They have many medicinal uses, and are most notably an incredibly rich source of vitamin C, having over 20 times more than oranges. Sailors used to eat them in order to prevent scurvy on long voyages. Just thought you might want to know! I remember seeing them everywhere on my Canada/New England cruise a few years ago.

I try to remember these points whenever I am in a public space or cruise ship:

Use your knuckle on elevator buttons instead of your finger tip.

Avoid holding onto stair rails

Wash hands with soap and the hottest water you can stand.

After washing hands - Do NOT touch the faucet. Use a paper towel.

Dry your hands with a paper towel and use that paper towel to open the exit door, then toss the towel into the trash receptacle.

Keep hands away from the face.

Cough into the crease of the elbow. Preferable your elbow! :)

Hand sanitizer??? Yes, I use it since the crew insist that you must sanitize. Noro is a Virus so I am not convinced that an anti bacterial hand cleaner is better than soap and water.

Edited by JMG

I try to remember these points whenever I am in a public space or cruise ship:

Use your knuckle on elevator buttons instead of your finger tip.

Avoid holding onto stair rails

Wash hands with soap and the hottest water you can stand.

After washing hands - Do NOT touch the faucet. Use a paper towel.

Dry your hands with a paper towel and use that paper towel to open the exit door, then toss the towel into the trash receptacle.

Keep hands away from the face.

Cough into the crease of the elbow. Preferable your elbow! :)

Hand sanitizer??? Yes, I use it since the crew insist that you must sanitize. Noro is a Virus so I am not convinced that an anti bacterial hand cleaner is better than soap and water.

I always use my ELBOW to hit the elevator buttons. Never my finger tips or even my knuckles.

Please post some photos while docked looking onto Charlottetown from Summit. Just got back from the Port and took a few pics of Summit along with the other two ships. Spoke to one couple from the Summit and they said that the "Noro" was still pretty bad.

What a beautiful day it is here on PEI today +20C with fabulous sunny skies. What a difference from Summit's last visit.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

What a beautiful day it is here on PEI today +20C with fabulous sunny skies. What a difference from Summit's last visit.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Yes it was awful. My DH and I got soaking wet. We were only outside for 5 minutes and the heavens opened up. Three days later my DH got norovirus. Not a good cruise.