Mini riot on Liberty over cheap watches--dangerous

cowboygene

Just off Liberty, fantastic cruise..more on that later.

Witnessed a dangerous "bread riot" at one of the shops, totally initated by sales staff. Displays of inexpensive $20 watch sets were set out Friday morning, my wife looked them over that morning around 11:00 and tried to buy one.

No, she was told, we will not sell them until 12:00 and be here at that time as we expect to sell out. Several other shoppers were told the same, no sales until noon. My wife went into the shop and there were more watches on tables covered with sheets, she peeked under the sheet and the sales guy ran over and told her no sales till noon.

Back we go amd my wife is standing by a display table with many other shoppers, the guy pulls the sheet off and backs away.. Then the whole scene deteriorated into pushing, shoving, curses, threats and overall cheap behaviour.

My wife had a box ripped out of her hand, kicked in the leg, stepped on and pushed into the table. if people weren't pushing from the other side of the table, they would have all gone down in a heap. One young guy was knocked over sideways. I had to wade in and help my wife escape.

Totally Carnival's fault for creating this crazed attitude by putting the merchandise and refusing to sell it.

Complained to Guest Services, spoke with the shop manager, he apologized, admitted it was bad system, but, it is designed to create sales tension. Told him how dangerous this was with all the glass display cases on the walls and floor, and the number of senior citizens at risk just trying to make a purchase.

Hope Carnival can institute a better system, oh by the way, manager offered a free bottle of champagne, which we politely declined.

Only bad experience on a great cruise.

This ridiculous sales ploy has been going on for quite some time. I can't believe people are still falling for it!

The sales ploy has been going on for years. However, the public's behavior has gotten much worse over the years. The ships really need to reevaluate this marketing before someone gets seriously hurt.

I usually stay away from these events. However, in the last year I experienced them 1st hand a couple of times and it has gotten way out of hand.

I am sorry to disagree. I do not feel that, in this case, it is the fault of Carnival. Rather it is the fault of many of the passengers who for the sake of a cheap watch which will probably malfunction before the week is out begin to act like animals. It reminds me of the riots at Wal-Mart during the Christmas holidays. But then again they do call Carnival the, "...Walmart of the Cruise Industry." This is just another example of Carnival becoming the bargain basement of the Cruise Industry.

The price listed on these cheap quality watches is ridiculous! I foolishly bought one for a gift and the band broke the first day my MIL wore it! They are cheap $10 watches dressed up to look like more.

Carnival's sale tactic is a dangerous one. Beware people and stay safe!

I am sorry to disagree. I do not feel that, in this case, it is the fault of Carnival. Rather it is the fault of many of the passengers who for the sake of a cheap watch which will probably malfunction before the week is out begin to act like animals. It reminds me of the riots at Wal-Mart during the Christmas holidays. But then again they do call Carnival the, "...Walmart of the Cruise Industry." This is just another example of Carnival becoming the bargain basement of the Cruise Industry.

Sorry. It is ALWAYS a business' responsibilty to maintain order. It is not the customers resonsibility to worry how others will react in a buying frenzy.

I stay away from the shops for the most part. That being said, i used to work retail at a major department store 20 some years ago, witnessed many many scary scenes during holiday "doorbuster" events. And we see it in the news each year as it still happens, people fighting and clobbering each other for a "deal". That's really a shame to have it happen on a cruise ship.

Really, people choose their behavior and if you think the watch sale is bad, go to the bracelet sale. People are always going to respond to "a sale" promotion but do not stop to think you can buy a watch about anywhere now for $ 10 - $20. Cheap watches are made to last about 1-2 years and that is about the life of a Carnival watch. I will have to say, the ones I've owned kept good time and would probably lasted longer if I did not get them wet or dropped them. lol A Carnival cruiser makes the choice to attend. Possibly Carnival could make one table of the sale items for people who have difficulty standing or are seniors. However, I am 70 and did not have trouble at the bracelet sale last year. Since I'm sailing next week, better take my elbow and knee pads along because I need a new watch!!!!!!;)

This has been going on for quite a long time on carnival. The shops always try to create a buying frenzy, whether its watches, gold by the inch, liquor, or t shirts. The cruise line probably buys these watches for a buck, puts a very high fake retail price on them, and then create a fake frenzy over them. Kinda like mattresses that have similar tactics.

I have been on several Princess cruises and they have the same stupid watch sale (and other sales: rings, gold chain, Bijoux Terner, etc) that Carnival has and set up the same way to attract crowds. It never ceases to amaze me that people go so crazy over this cheap stuff. If you really want a cheap watch or a cheap evening bag or wrap to go with your formal night outfit, stop at the Bijoux Terner store in the airport and buy it. Sure there will be sales tax but you won't have to fight anybody :D

Really, people choose their behavior and if you think the watch sale is bad, go to the bracelet sale.

Saw this firsthand on the Fantasy a few weeks ago... it was wedged between the Carnival store and the jewelry/watch store right where you go into the theater. Amazing, we had gone (at the wrong time) to get a couple of shirts for people back home when we noticed the tables with the "gauze" over them. A guy was constantly shouting "not til 2pm"! We were leaving when the crowd went crazy, guess it was 2pm, and my wife got jammed into a wall. I literally had to wade in and grab/drag her out. We stood for a minute watching the crowd... as others have stated kinda like the scenes at some stores on Black Friday.... all for a piece of c$ap bracelet. Some of the women looked dazed as they came out with their purchases.

This happens on all the Carnival ships we have been on and we totally avoid that area at all costs.

Those cheap watches aren't just worth it. We can buy the same watches, for the same prices at a small-town jewelry store near the house, at Walmart, T J Max, Target, etc.

I do agree with the first half of your statement. It is a cheap watch and people really shouldn't behave in such a way, happens every black Friday. Someone get's toppled over for the $2 toaster. Carnival is as every other retailer, trying to make a buck. Aren't we all adults and should know how to behave? Why does everyone feel it's necessary to blame everyone else instead of looking in the mirror. Just my 2 cents... the other part of your statement, that frenzy happens at high end retailers as well.

I love Carnival and hate Walmart, go figure.

Archived