Mini riot on Liberty over cheap watches--dangerous

cowboygene

How about the stampedes at the Spa for the raffle the first day? You'd think you have a chance to win the ship, not a massage or facial the way people cram in there, push and shove. I didn't stick around to see for the drawing--too much mayhem!

That has happened sometimes waiting for tenders, too. People butting in line were about to get into it with those who'd been waiting. Thank goodness a staff member interevened.

This sales tactic will only stop when someone is injured and sues Carnival for negligence.

I fret agreeing with this, but I think is a true statement. Unless CCL changes on their own.

Are these retail shops run by CCL or a third party? Akin to the art sales?

Agree with this being a pathetic situation at best.

Yes, they are cheap junk watches!

Carnival sets this up so many uninformed consumers think they are getting a really good deal.

When they see all the people waiting for the start this further sets the notion that this must be a great deal.

This will continue until someone gets hurt or someone at Carnival wakes up!

I know as a past Commercial Lines Insurance Agent I would take a cruise to check out their operations once in a while and seeing that chaos would call for a meeting for sure!

The misbehaving passengers are to blame for their behavior.

Happens all over on Black Friday. We personally avoid that zoo!

It is the poor unknowing passenger just wanting a great watch deal that gets crushed and pushed around.

They have no idea it's going to be "Black Friday" attitudes.

It is a sad state of affairs :rolleyes:

I fret agreeing with this, but I think is a true statement. Unless CCL changes on their own.

Are these retail shops run by CCL or a third party? Akin to the art sales?

I think they are run by a third party.

Ive seen the same sales technique on NCL and RCCL as well

They lease out the space. One reason perhaps why there is no band as there is no room for the band but lots of room for the retail staff and photogs.

The band isn't a profit maker:rolleyes:

I feel the same way. Carnival should be ashamed of themselves. I am so disappointed in Carnival for actions such as this.

If someone gets hurt, which it will happen, Carnival should be held accountable.

I seen this happen with (Pandora style) charm bracelets they were gearing up to sell. This chaos was exactly what they were gearing up to create. They displayed about 20 in a window, the date of the sale was posted and "limited quantities."... meanwhile.. on the day of the sale, there were at least 2 full size party tables, with at least three levels of boxed charm bracelets on each table. PLUS, more were coming out as a sale went on.

I went back later, after all the hype (believe me, it was pretty crazy scene) and guess what??? They STILL HAD LOTS!!

I had the exact same experience with those bracelets on the Freedom. I thought they were kind of cute so I went to the sale. When I got to the store I saw pushing, shoving, grabbing and other ridiculous behavior. There were also fights between people trying to pay for them because the lines were so long and people were cutting in. I walked away and came back a couple of hours later. There was still an entire table full of the bracelets.

I had the exact same experience with those bracelets on the Freedom. I thought they were kind of cute so I went to the sale. When I got to the store I saw pushing, shoving, grabbing and other ridiculous behavior. There were also fights between people trying to pay for them because the lines were so long and people were cutting in. I walked away and came back a couple of hours later. There was still an entire table full of the bracelets.

But you missed the experience. ;)

I have seen this a few times. I also saw the same type of frenzy at the liquor tasting. I just keep on walking.

These sales are almost as fun to watch as pier runners. It is amazing at what lengths people will go to buy cheap watches. The Liquor tasting is another example of awesome people watching.

Ben

The liquor tasting event is one that has always interested me. Yes, it's "free alcohol", but it's like a third of a shot for a 10 minute wait.

Just off Liberty, fantastic cruise..more on that later.

Witnessed a dangerous "bread riot" at one of the shops, totally initated by sales staff. Displays of inexpensive $20 watch sets were set out Friday morning, my wife looked them over that morning around 11:00 and tried to buy one.

No, she was told, we will not sell them until 12:00 and be here at that time as we expect to sell out. Several other shoppers were told the same, no sales until noon. My wife went into the shop and there were more watches on tables covered with sheets, she peeked under the sheet and the sales guy ran over and told her no sales till noon.

Back we go amd my wife is standing by a display table with many other shoppers, the guy pulls the sheet off and backs away.. Then the whole scene deteriorated into pushing, shoving, curses, threats and overall cheap behaviour.

My wife had a box ripped out of her hand, kicked in the leg, stepped on and pushed into the table. if people weren't pushing from the other side of the table, they would have all gone down in a heap. One young guy was knocked over sideways. I had to wade in and help my wife escape.

Totally Carnival's fault for creating this crazed attitude by putting the merchandise and refusing to sell it.

Complained to Guest Services, spoke with the shop manager, he apologized, admitted it was bad system, but, it is designed to create sales tension. Told him how dangerous this was with all the glass display cases on the walls and floor, and the number of senior citizens at risk just trying to make a purchase.

Hope Carnival can institute a better system, oh by the way, manager offered a free bottle of champagne, which we politely declined.

Only bad experience on a great cruise.

One reason i refuse to go black friday shopping.. Some people will do anything to save a buck or 2... Find the watch on ebay when you get home for 9.99

The worst part about this is that if you wait until 3pm, they have the same stock out, at the same price with no lines and no fighting. I collect the sea glass and would rather wait to see if they have what I want later in the day then join the crazyness at noon. If they happen to sell out of the one I want, I'll get it next cruise! I've never been disappointed as they always have what I am looking for. ;)

The worst part about this is that if you wait until 3pm, they have the same stock out, at the same price with no lines and no fighting. I collect the sea glass and would rather wait to see if they have what I want later in the day then join the crazyness at noon. If they happen to sell out of the one I want, I'll get it next cruise! I've never been disappointed as they always have what I am looking for. ;)

3PM try 10PM they still had a lot of selection when I gave up shopping and wet to bed. Also, from all I read, these vendors don't actually work for Carnival. I had the most enjoyable first cruise ever. The only bad part was coming home. :mad:

I am sorry to disagree. I do not feel that, in this case, it is the fault of Carnival. Rather it is the fault of many of the passengers who for the sake of a cheap watch which will probably malfunction before the week is out begin to act like animals. It reminds me of the riots at Wal-Mart during the Christmas holidays. But then again they do call Carnival the, "...Walmart of the Cruise Industry." This is just another example of Carnival becoming the bargain basement of the Cruise Industry.

I'm sorry but have you ever been to Macy when they have a purse sale it's a riot.:eek:

Amazes me how many people go on a cruise but leave their brains at home.

Absolutely!! Any guesses on whether these same passengers are: chair hogs, line ditchers, seat savers, food wasters, and spend a lot of time at customer service to complain about something/anything that they deem isn't right for THEM. :)

Just off Liberty, fantastic cruise..more on that later.

Witnessed a dangerous "bread riot" at one of the shops, totally initated by sales staff. Displays of inexpensive $20 watch sets were set out Friday morning, my wife looked them over that morning around 11:00 and tried to buy one.

No, she was told, we will not sell them until 12:00 and be here at that time as we expect to sell out. Several other shoppers were told the same, no sales until noon. My wife went into the shop and there were more watches on tables covered with sheets, she peeked under the sheet and the sales guy ran over and told her no sales till noon.

Back we go amd my wife is standing by a display table with many other shoppers, the guy pulls the sheet off and backs away.. Then the whole scene deteriorated into pushing, shoving, curses, threats and overall cheap behaviour.

My wife had a box ripped out of her hand, kicked in the leg, stepped on and pushed into the table. if people weren't pushing from the other side of the table, they would have all gone down in a heap. One young guy was knocked over sideways. I had to wade in and help my wife escape.

Totally Carnival's fault for creating this crazed attitude by putting the merchandise and refusing to sell it.

Complained to Guest Services, spoke with the shop manager, he apologized, admitted it was bad system, but, it is designed to create sales tension. Told him how dangerous this was with all the glass display cases on the walls and floor, and the number of senior citizens at risk just trying to make a purchase.

Hope Carnival can institute a better system, oh by the way, manager offered a free bottle of champagne, which we politely declined.

Only bad experience on a great cruise.

You turned down a free bottle of champagne, what is wrong with you man you are going to over turn and destroy the entire workings of CCL!!!,!:rolleyes:;)

Archived