Mini riot on Liberty over cheap watches--dangerous

cowboygene

I am sorry to disagree. I do not feel that, in this case, it is the fault of Carnival. Rather it is the fault of many of the passengers who for the sake of a cheap watch which will probably malfunction before the week is out begin to act like animals. It reminds me of the riots at Wal-Mart during the Christmas holidays. But then again they do call Carnival the, "...Walmart of the Cruise Industry." This is just another example of Carnival becoming the bargain basement of the Cruise Industry.

Sorry this does not just happen on Carnival. Royal does this also with t-shirts, watches, etc. It was very entertaining to sit and watch everyone trying to grab whatever they wanted.

Sorry. It is ALWAYS a business' responsibilty to maintain order. It is not the customers resonsibility to worry how others will react in a buying frenzy.

Must disagree. If you have a problem with the Carnival ships complain at the Pursers Desk. It is the responsibility of the passengers to act like adults, not like a mob, especially over a cheap watch!!!

My mother got caught in one of those "free for alls" on the Liberty in 2009, and I have seen it happen on other cruises too, so I knew better than even attempt to get in there. She is just 5 foot tall, and she said she felt panicky in the crush, but she got her watch! I don't think she will ever try that again though.

Didn't leave them at home never had in first place.

Sent by magic

That's more like it. Cuz while I can say I've never seen this on a cruise, I've seen it at sales on land. Just ignorant. It is up to individuals to behave like you have some home training. If you do, a watch sale won't cause you to go crazy. Nobody makes you act stupid and greedy. I love a sale more than anyone I know, but I refuse to become physical or violent behind any of them. I don't care where I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Just off Liberty, fantastic cruise..more on that later.

Witnessed a dangerous "bread riot" at one of the shops, totally initated by sales staff. Displays of inexpensive $20 watch sets were set out Friday morning, my wife looked them over that morning around 11:00 and tried to buy one.

No, she was told, we will not sell them until 12:00 and be here at that time as we expect to sell out. Several other shoppers were told the same, no sales until noon. My wife went into the shop and there were more watches on tables covered with sheets, she peeked under the sheet and the sales guy ran over and told her no sales till noon.

Back we go amd my wife is standing by a display table with many other shoppers, the guy pulls the sheet off and backs away.. Then the whole scene deteriorated into pushing, shoving, curses, threats and overall cheap behaviour.

My wife had a box ripped out of her hand, kicked in the leg, stepped on and pushed into the table. if people weren't pushing from the other side of the table, they would have all gone down in a heap. One young guy was knocked over sideways. I had to wade in and help my wife escape.

Totally Carnival's fault for creating this crazed attitude by putting the merchandise and refusing to sell it.

Complained to Guest Services, spoke with the shop manager, he apologized, admitted it was bad system, but, it is designed to create sales tension. Told him how dangerous this was with all the glass display cases on the walls and floor, and the number of senior citizens at risk just trying to make a purchase.

Hope Carnival can institute a better system, oh by the way, manager offered a free bottle of champagne, which we politely declined.

Only bad experience on a great cruise.

I've been on enough cruises that I now mostly avoid the shops.

I didn't go into the shops on my B2B last year until the last sea day. I only went in there then to buy some candy.

I purchased a silver necklace "by the inch" on Carnival for my grandson one year and he wore it while taking a shower and it turned his neck a lovely shade of green.

We now avoid those sales on the cruise ships at all costs and make sure I am nowhere near the shops where the jewelry sales are being held.

Amazes me how many people go on a cruise but leave their brains at home.

Not only on cruises. I work in the hospitality industry at a ocean resort town, its the same here. I have always said that they leave their brains and manners at home when they go on vacation.

Just off Liberty, fantastic cruise..more on that later.

Witnessed a dangerous "bread riot" at one of the shops, totally initated by sales staff. Displays of inexpensive $20 watch sets were set out Friday morning, my wife looked them over that morning around 11:00 and tried to buy one.

No, she was told, we will not sell them until 12:00 and be here at that time as we expect to sell out. Several other shoppers were told the same, no sales until noon. My wife went into the shop and there were more watches on tables covered with sheets, she peeked under the sheet and the sales guy ran over and told her no sales till noon.

Back we go amd my wife is standing by a display table with many other shoppers, the guy pulls the sheet off and backs away.. Then the whole scene deteriorated into pushing, shoving, curses, threats and overall cheap behaviour.

My wife had a box ripped out of her hand, kicked in the leg, stepped on and pushed into the table. if people weren't pushing from the other side of the table, they would have all gone down in a heap. One young guy was knocked over sideways. I had to wade in and help my wife escape.

Totally Carnival's fault for creating this crazed attitude by putting the merchandise and refusing to sell it.

Complained to Guest Services, spoke with the shop manager, he apologized, admitted it was bad system, but, it is designed to create sales tension. Told him how dangerous this was with all the glass display cases on the walls and floor, and the number of senior citizens at risk just trying to make a purchase.

Hope Carnival can institute a better system, oh by the way, manager offered a free bottle of champagne, which we politely declined.

Only bad experience on a great cruise.

I wouldn't have declined the champagne.

This sales tactic will only stop when someone is injured and sues Carnival for negligence.

I feel the same way. Carnival should be ashamed of themselves. I am so disappointed in Carnival for actions such as this.

If someone gets hurt, which it will happen, Carnival should be held accountable.

I seen this happen with (Pandora style) charm bracelets they were gearing up to sell. This chaos was exactly what they were gearing up to create. They displayed about 20 in a window, the date of the sale was posted and "limited quantities."... meanwhile.. on the day of the sale, there were at least 2 full size party tables, with at least three levels of boxed charm bracelets on each table. PLUS, more were coming out as a sale went on.

I went back later, after all the hype (believe me, it was pretty crazy scene) and guess what??? They STILL HAD LOTS!!

Not Carnival's fault at all. I seriously can't believe how stupid people are- and then come here to blame Carnival for their own idiotic choices??

Gheez. :rolleyes:

There's a reason the watches (or whatever product) is on sale, IT'S CHEAP. Same people fall for 'black Friday' sales for off-brand junk TV's fighting in WalMart parking lots.

Retail is a smart business! Take advantage of small minded people. :)

bogo.png

I'm glad to see some people are being rational and seeing the behavior of the customers as the real issue.

Negligence would be the scuffles that would ensue if the ship arrived to home port after a cruise, they put out the gangway and said "Ok everyone off" without any staging or queue's.

There are too many people out there that want to complain and sue when things don't go their way.

I work for a large retailer (no, not Wally World) and on Black Friday when we open the doors...the workers stand behind pillars and counters to avoid the stampeding crowd that are pushing, falling, crying, and shoving.

Should this retailer be held accountable if someone gets trampled and gets hurt? Come on, people, these "sales" will be going on all year long at different stores, look around, do your homework. Of course, the retailers are going to advertise these sales but that doesn't mean we have to throw common sense out the window. The workers just stand back and laugh because people are so gullible and play right into the retailer's hands. So, keep on believing the hype, keeps me employed.

The price listed on these cheap quality watches is ridiculous! I foolishly bought one for a gift and the band broke the first day my MIL wore it! They are cheap $10 watches dressed up to look like more.

Carnival's sale tactic is a dangerous one. Beware people and stay safe!

Right. It's not like they are fighting over genuine Rolex. They are fighting each other to pay $20 for a $10 watch.

Archived