"My Family Time Dining" sounds too good to be true

missholly24

Just read that IOS has this option. Has anyone done this? What an excellent idea. I remember my 3 and 5 year old boys who where excellent until minute 61 at dinner. Then they went downhill quickly and we always ran out (out of respect for the other guests) Dessert and coffee mostly missed.

Yes we use this quite often and love it! We want the kids to join us for dinner but they hate sitting through the long meals. This is a great compromise in that we get to eat together, they get to cut if short and go back to having fun and we get to enjoy a relaxing meal.

It's fabulous!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Planning on trying this with grandson next April, and I'd like to hear some details.

Can kids use the standard menu, and are the early courses served with the adults? Do they get a chance for dessert?

Do the Adventure Ocean people come around to the tables for the "roundup", or do you need to take the kids somewhere?

thanks!

We want to try it on our next cruise, but we're running into a bit of a glitch. We are a family of 4 (parents + 4 year old and 2 year old). We booked connecting cabins (one adult and one child listed in each cabin). For the cabin with the 4 year old, I was able to select My Family Time Dining but for the cabin with the 2 year old, I can't even select it because there's nobody in the cabin that meets the age requirement. So as of right now, one cabin is showing My Family Time Dining and the other one is showing Early Dining. We called Royal and the agent said that there was no way to switch the second cabin to My Family Time Dining. :(

We would love to take advantage of the expedited dinner experience (for the whole family) and for our 4 year old son to participate in the Adventure Ocean activities, (we'll take care of our daughter and take care her to the Royal Babies and Tots nursery ourselves if we choose to), but I don't know the best way to get the whole family confirmed on My Family Time Dining.

Tapi: If you have connecting cabins, why do you have one child and one adult booked into each one? RCI allows you to book your children into their own cabin (no adult needed on their reservation) if their cabin is directly next door to, or directly across the hall from, your own cabin. (I don't know if that solves your issue)

Also, are your reservations linked for dining together? They cannot allow the children on one reservation to eat apart from the adults on the other (assuming you change your booking to reflect what I wrote above)

Tapi: If you have connecting cabins, why do you have one child and one adult booked into each one?

Also, are your reservations linked for dining together?

The reservations are linked. I verified with the agent when I called to ask about our dining arrangements. Honestly, I booked one child per cabin out of ignorance (not being familiar with Royal's policy concerning children in a second cabin, and since this will be the first time booking 2 connecting cabins for our family).

Even if I booked the 2 adults in one cabin and the 2 children in the other, It seems like I'd still have the same issue since we only have one child that qualifies for My Family Time Dining (the cabin with 2 adults wouldn't have anybody in it that would qualify for it). :(

The reservations are linked. I verified with the agent when I called to ask about our dining arrangements. Honestly, I booked one child per cabin out of ignorance (not being familiar with Royal's policy concerning children in a second cabin, and since this will be the first time booking 2 connecting cabins for our family).

Even if I booked the 2 adults in one cabin and the 2 children in the other, It seems like I'd still have the same issue since we only have one child that qualifies for My Family Time Dining (the cabin with 2 adults wouldn't have anybody in it that would qualify for it). :(

Yes, but they can't let the two kids in the other cabin eat by themselves, so it would seem that they'd have to let the adult cabin dine with the kids cabin in MTFD. It can't hurt to call back and ask what would happen if you changed the reservation to two adults in one cabin and two kids in the other. Also have you spoken to a supervisor or someone in the resolutions department who has the authority to make overrides in situations like yours?

My understanding is that the My Family Time Dining is for early seating in the Main Dining room. I believe you set this up the first night and you must be scheduled for early seating for this Family option. You are supposed to be guaranteed that the children will be served within 40 minutes, then someone from Adventure Ocean comes around to collect the children.

My Time Dining is completely different, and you can dine whenever you like from 5:30-9:30pm.

If Royal will not help you correct this prior to sailing, I'm certain you can correct this with the Dining Room once on board.

We have done this a couple of times so I'll try to answer some of the questions.

Tapi.. Do not worry. Being identified as my family time dining for one child will be fine. Just talk to AO on the first day when you register and let them know that they will be picking up 2 instead of one.

There is no difference in seating times with My family time dining and MTD early seating.

AO staff will pick your children up outside of the MDR. You must take them out and wait for AO staff. There was a couple times that AO staff were 5 minutes late or we were 5 minutes early so one of the adults was leaving their appetizer waiting for staff. It would be nice if they would pick the children up at the table but they don't.

The children need to order off the children's menus as they can rush these items. Most of the entrees off the menu are most likely still being prepared since they won't be served for another 45 minutes.

Children are eating their main courses as adults are eating their appetizers.

I always found that the children were very rushed and in most cases did not have time for dessert so the waiter brought them a cookie to go. I think a large part of this depends on your waiter. Perhaps letting your waiter know what your kids would like to order the night before would speed things up.

One other suggestion is to take the children to the WJ prior to your dinner seating, get them fed and then drop them off at AO while you enjoy a nice relaxing dinner for 2.

Hope this helps.

Yes, but they can't let the two kids in the other cabin eat by themselves, so it would seem that they'd have to let the adult cabin dine with the kids cabin in MTFD. It can't hurt to call back and ask what would happen if you changed the reservation to two adults in one cabin and two kids in the other. Also have you spoken to a supervisor or someone in the resolutions department who has the authority to make overrides in situations like yours?

Thanks. I didn't escalate the call. But it will definitely be worth it to call again to see what happens by switching people in the cabin. I just took the "no" answer. :o

Tapi.. Do not worry. Being identified as my family time dining for one child will be fine. Just talk to AO on the first day when you register and let them know that they will be picking up 2 instead of one.

Thanks for that info. Our 4 year old is pretty good about sitting through a longer dinner, but our 2 year old needs her food NOW.

You just need to be at early seating for dinner in order to use this service. When you register the kids at AOG just tell them you will be using the My Family Time Dining. They will tell you which floor/dining room they will be waiting on (they just go to the entrance on one floor).

It's only a 40 minute meal for the kids so you have to be organized in order to get them finished in time. A couple of suggestions that will help:

1) get to the dining room promptly at 6pm. Every minute counts.

2) try to have the kids decide on what they want to order before they go. AO is not open the first day and the menu stays the same for them. It's pretty simple kids menu so they can probably decide what they're having before they even sit down. If not just order quickly.

3) make sure to let your wait staff know as soon as you sit diem they the kids are going to AO. This has worked for us perfectly.

4) if there's something from the regular menu they want it's helpful to let the wait staff know the night before if possible. One of my kids had a shrimp cocktail every evening and we just let them know beforehand. It wasn't an issue.

Hope this helps!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for that info. Our 4 year old is pretty good about sitting through a longer dinner, but our 2 year old needs her food NOW.

I hope you know that Adventure Ocean starts at age 3:( Perhaps Royal Tots Nursery would work for the 2 year old, but you'd have to take her there. We've used My Family Time Dining and it works great:)

I hope you know that Adventure Ocean starts at age 3:( Perhaps Royal Tots Nursery would work for the 2 year old, but you'd have to take her there. We've used My Family Time Dining and it works great:)

Fully aware :). We used the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery when our son was 17 months old on the Allure.

My interest in Family Time Dining would be to get both kids fed quickly. Then our 4 year old son can go to Adventure Ocean with the staff, and we can choose to either keep our 2 year old daughter with us or drop her off at Royal Babies and Tots.

Does anyone know what options are available for the 1st night for the children? My husband and I would like to do one of the Specialty Dining Pacakages, and based on the MDR menu, we would like to go the first night. However, the AO program doesn't open the first night, is it possible to go to a specialty restaurant without the children on the first night??

Anyone aware of the options available??

Another option is to take the kids up to Adventure Ocean after it opens at 7 pm. I found that watching the clock during dinner to make sure I made it to the pick up outside the dining room made for a very tense dinner. I also found that the drop off at the actual AO facilities was quicker than waiting for the AO staff outside the dining room using MFTD.

We've used My Family Time dining several times and agree with a lot that has been said. Specifically:

-MFTD is wonderful for parents who would like to eat with their child but then linger child-free for a relaxed meal.

-My Family Time Dining is NOT something you can prebook. Instead, sign up for early seating, and once on board you'll sign up daily for My Family Time Dining in AO. For the pp concerned that one cabin is booked as MFTD and one is early seating, I question whether they're confused and the one cabin is booked as My Time Dining. Unless something has changed, you can't pre-book my family time dining.

-The rushed meal is just that: rushed. As in the child has to inhale their food. And no, there's no time for dessert. DH and I would bring dessert back to the room for our girls to eat at 10 pm after AO. I know, I'm mother of the year. ;)

-no table side pick-ups. You walk your child just outside the front MDR doors where AO staff will meet you at 6:40.

-DEFINITELY let your server know your child is doing family time dining and will be picked up at 6:40. Otherwise, you'll never be out by 6:40. Your server won't know unless you tell him/her.

Our last cruise, we opted NOT to do MFTD because the meals were too rushed for our girls (then 9 & 5.) Instead, we all enjoyed a somewhat leisurely meal (my girls are happy as long as the food keeps coming) and then walked them up to AO at about 7:30 after which time DH and I had some much deserved quiet adult time.

Does anyone know what options are available for the 1st night for the children? My husband and I would like to do one of the Specialty Dining Pacakages, and based on the MDR menu, we would like to go the first night. However, the AO program doesn't open the first night, is it possible to go to a specialty restaurant without the children on the first night??

Anyone aware of the options available??

I don't think there are any alternative childcare options during dinner on day 1. I believe you either bring your children with you to the specialty restaurant on day 1 or else you don't eat in a specialty restaurant on day 1.

We've used My Family Time dining several times and agree with a lot that has been said. Specifically:

-MFTD is wonderful for parents who would like to eat with their child but then linger child-free for a relaxed meal.

-My Family Time Dining is NOT something you can prebook. Instead, sign up for early seating, and once on board you'll sign up daily for My Family Time Dining in AO. For the pp concerned that one cabin is booked as MFTD and one is early seating, I question whether they're confused and the one cabin is booked as My Time Dining. Unless something has changed, you can't pre-book my family time dining.

You can most certainly book your dining option as My Family Time Dining when you book your cruise. This puts you in the early dining seating. But, you will still need to register your child for it in AO. As I recall, we did this each day so that the AO staff would know who to expect when they picked them up at the dining room.

-The rushed meal is just that: rushed. As in the child has to inhale their food. And no, there's no time for dessert. DH and I would bring dessert back to the room for our girls to eat at 10 pm after AO. I know, I'm mother of the year. ;)

For us, the first couple of nights were rushed as the waiter and our children got used to the set up. But, by the third night, the waiter had our boys meals ready to go as soon as we set down. They were eating their appetizers as we were still looking over the menu. They would then move onto their main dish, and would have plenty of time for dessert. I guess it all depends on your waiter. Ours was great.

-no table side pick-ups. You walk your child just outside the front MDR doors where AO staff will meet you at 6:40.

-DEFINITELY let your server know your child is doing family time dining and will be picked up at 6:40. Otherwise, you'll never be out by 6:40. Your server won't know unless you tell him/her.

Our last cruise, we opted NOT to do MFTD because the meals were too rushed for our girls (then 9 & 5.) Instead, we all enjoyed a somewhat leisurely meal (my girls are happy as long as the food keeps coming) and then walked them up to AO at about 7:30 after which time DH and I had some much deserved quiet adult time.

Our boys that participated in this were 7 and 11 at the time. In fact our oldest boy, who was 13 and not participating in the AO pick-up would get his meals served with his brothers, but would then sit with us for the rest of the meal. By the time the rest of us were ready for dessert, he would eat it with us.

I hope you enjoy the convenience of the MFTD and take full advantage of it. Enjoy your cruise.

My question is, We are already set for MTD and if my kids want to use MFTD on some of the nights is this offered in our dinning room as well being MTD. (yes I know we would have to be on time for 6pm sharp start for dinner;)) So can we use it too??? :confused:

My question is, We are already set for MTD and if my kids want to use MFTD on some of the nights is this offered in our dinning room as well being MTD. (yes I know we would have to be on time for 6pm sharp start for dinner;)) So can we use it too??? :confused:

No... My Family Time Dining is only if you have Early Seating.

My Time Dining you can dine early at 5:30 or 6pm, then bring them down to AO.

~ OR ~

5:00-7:00pm (No Charge) "Adventure Dining" Through the AO, no sign up required. Children will be taken to the Windjammer by the AO Staff for dinner and will return to Adventure Ocean for activities when dinner has finished.

Archived