Switching to GTY

wallyboag

We were booked in an inside stateroom for a Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. After final payment, we saw that VH category Verandahs were available for a couple hundred dollars more than we had paid for the inside cabin, so we paid for the upgrade and selected a VH stateroom #4003. We also flagged our reservation for "ANY UPGRADE AVAILABLE".

Currently that rate is still available for a VH GTY cabin.

While we are certainly OK with any VH cabin, is it crazy for me to want to switch to a GTY cabin and hope for an upgrade to another category? Should we do this, or is stating "ANY UPGRADE AVAILABLE" pretty much also tossing us into the pool for a VG or higher?

We always book guarantees on HAL. For those of us who do, the idea is to book the minimum category that you would be happy with and hope for the best.

Its tricky. The upgrades are by category. If you have a cabin category that pretty much guarantees you a tub, it is possible to be upgraded to one without. As you say you might get a location you don't like. So there is no definitive answer to your question.

We have been in all manner of cabins. Suites are nicer but I can honestly say we sailed in inside cabins twice and both cruise experiences were wonderful.

GTY or not - the decision is yours.:)

I think you should do the VH Gty. There are only four VH cabins, and it's highly likely you'll be upgraded. In the years that I've been a CC member I've only heard of two instances where someone booked a VH Gty and actually got one. Most often people report getting a VB or VA. The one time we did it we got a VB on the stern. Granted, sometimes these upgrades are in locations you may not like, such as high and far forward.

BTW, there are no VG. :)

We usually do verandah gtys. More often than not we work our way up as the pricing model changes.

Last Feb. we booked at gty verandah about a week out from sailing. We were certain that we would not get a great cabin as most of the verandah categories appeared to be sold out. The opposite was true, we ended up with a primo verandah on this Carnival ship. Same with our last minute Xmas cruise.

You just never know. We prepare ourselves for the bottom end of the gty category and then we are usually very pleasantly surprised with the final outcome. But...we do not expect anything other than the basic verandah.

We had initially a VF booking, inluding an assigned cabin. Just before final payment - the VH cabins got posted and they were $150 per person cheaper. I called our person at HAL and changed our booking to a VH garantuee.

Then we made the final payment, and 2 days later - the VH went down another $50. Called and was moved to a VD garantuee as a courtesy. OBC would have been nice, but we were very pleased with the fare we paid for a balcony that we are glad we got this.

Now we are keeping our fingers crossed for a nice assignment and even possible upsells. Looks like our cruise is not a very hot seller at the moment, so hoping..... :) For the money we saved, it is worth it to us.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

We really do not mind any location, and are happy with the VH and the price we paid for it. But we are heavy sleepers so noise really isn't an issue for us, and we also are good walkers, so location doesn't matter either. We'd of course be happier with a higher category and a veranda with plexiglass instead of solid steel.

I guess the question should be rephrased-

Are we more likely to get that upgrade if we switch to a GTY, or are we just as likely to be upgraded if we keep our assigned room with the "ANY UPGRADE AVAILABLE" option?

Are we more likely to get that upgrade if we switch to a GTY, ...
Yes, in my experience. I believe Gtys get upgraded first, and only when those are all assigned do they go to the "selected" cabins which have said they will "accept" an upgrade. But I think those with selected cabins are more likely to receive an upsell offer.

We really do not mind any location, and are happy with the VH and the price we paid for it. But we are heavy sleepers so noise really isn't an issue for us, and we also are good walkers, so location doesn't matter either. We'd of course be happier with a higher category and a veranda with plexiglass instead of solid steel.

Are we more likely to get that upgrade if we switch to a GTY, or are we just as likely to be upgraded if we keep our assigned room with the "ANY UPGRADE AVAILABLE" option?

Much, much more likely with a Guarentee.

Guarentees are assigned: there are few VH and possibly many VH guarentees, so someone will be upgraded. Very few pax overall on this board report experiencing an upgrade from a chosen stateroom.

My guess would be that a GTY will probably be more likely get an upgrade then your present cabin category.

Yes, in my experience. I believe Gtys get upgraded first, and only when those are all assigned do they go to the "selected" cabins which have said they will "accept" an upgrade. But I think those with selected cabins are more likely to receive an upsell offer.

I agree. We have booked numerous guarantees and have been upgraded many times from the category we originally booked. While we have appreciated the upgrades, we would have been fine with the category that we booked.

We have always booked a GTY on Holland and have always been given an upgrade that we were very very happy with. Of course, had we not received any upgrade at all we were just fine the category we booked the guarantee in. Since it sounds like you aren't too picky on where your cabin is located I would go with the GTY and hope for the best.

I agree. We have booked numerous guarantees and have been upgraded many times from the category we originally booked. While we have appreciated the upgrades, we would have been fine with the category that we booked.
We've done 9 Gty and have been upgraded on all of them. I was "less than thrilled" with just one. On our other 6 cruises where we chose a cabin but said we would accept an upgrade we got one upsell offer.

Well I tried to switch...

We called Costco (who we booked the cruise through) to switch our reservation to a GTY and were told by the agent on the phone that you cannot change a reserved room to a GTY. Is this true? Are we getting a run-around from the agent?

We called Costco (who we booked the cruise through) to switch our reservation to a GTY and were told by the agent on the phone that you cannot change a reserved room to a GTY. Is this true? Are we getting a run-around from the agent?

It depends. Before final payment you can cancel and rebook, and the worst that will happen is you will lose any reservations you've made for restaurants and excursions. After final payment day you have to figure in cancellations costs.

Did the agent call the cruise line to see if you could change? We were beyond final payment on a cruise in October in an oceanview room when a good deal showed up on HAL's website for a guarantee balcony...there would be an increase in the cost of our cruise to do this. I called Costco, the agent said they needed to check with the HAL, and HAL agreed to the change. In our case it was a change to a higher category cabin and we were going to pay more $$$ so maybe that's why they agreed. In any case, the agent did not make the decision, the person at HAL did.

Last week we paid to upgrade from our inside to a VH and picked our stateroom. This week the same rate is available for VH as a GTY, so we already paid for the upgrade from inside to veranda, but just want to change our assigned room to a GTY at the same rate.

Last week we paid to upgrade from our inside to a VH and picked our stateroom. This week the same rate is available for VH as a GTY, so we already paid for the upgrade from inside to veranda, but just want to change our assigned room to a GTY at the same rate.
Maybe the agent would be willing to help if you were adding some money. Can you pay the price to switch to a VF gty?

Maybe the agent would be willing to help if you were adding some money. Can you pay the price to switch to a VF gty?

On this cruise there is a VD guarantee for $100 per person more than we paid for our VH, but $200 isn't worth it to us for another upgrade. I guess we are stuck. Next time I know not to pay for an upgrade until closer to the departure date.

Archived