Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

If we decide to make a special purchase of alcohol to take home, we will definitely carry it on. We booked our air with air deviation (through Princess) to include Venice, Italy. We'll request a manager if they want to destroy our bottle on embarkation. If we lose it, then we do. I just hope we don't if we choose to buy something special to bring home. We've always tried to buy something unique to bring home and savor.

Is this your sailing in two months? If so, I don't think you'll have issues at all. They don't seem to be enforcing it in Europe this year. They've been rolling it out by region

Is this your sailing in two months? If so, I don't think you'll have issues at all. They don't seem to be enforcing it in Europe this year. They've been rolling it out by region

We are sailing in two months. However, we were surprised by our boarding passes stating the following (it's been a while since we sailed Princess):

"Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

If we choose to buy a unique alcohol (like limoncello) we understand they can take it and we will hand carry it on to discuss with a manager if we need to. We just hope they keep it for us so we can collect it when we disembark. I would never think to ask them to hold something more (whatever the bottle limit is per person) than we are allowed back in country that we would have to pay duty on.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

If we decide to make a special purchase of alcohol to take home, we will definitely carry it on.

If you make a purchase during your cruise at a port of call, wouldn't you have to carry it on? What other option would there be?:confused::confused:

If you make a purchase during your cruise at a port of call, wouldn't you have to carry it on? What other option would there be?:confused::confused:

We have an air deviation with Princess to Venice. Our embarkation is in Rome. We are spending several evenings in both cities before our cruise. I have no idea if they will allow what I consider a "special" bottle to bring home.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

We are hardly abstemious (typed while drinking a Bud Lime Light), but we, too, are rule followers. The bottom line is that I don't like to sneak, won't sneak, can't stand the thought of sneaking. If I have that much trouble following the rules, I just won't go.

You are, of course, right!

(not directed at anyone in particular)

One thing I don't get -- there are many, many posts here

about the benefits of being a CCL shareholder, getting onboard

credit, etc.

Shouldn't the stockholders here be upset with people cheating,

rather than joining in?

You are, of course, right!

(not directed at anyone in particular)

One thing I don't get -- there are many, many posts here

about the benefits of being a CCL shareholder, getting onboard

credit, etc.

Shouldn't the stockholders here be upset with people cheating,

rather than joining in?

I am a shareholder (100 shares, to get the OBC). I don't sneak, alcohol not being very important to me, and being, I hope, reasonably honest, but will not sit in judgment of others. I've yet to hear on CNBC when they've discussed Carnival (fairly often) that how many people sneak alcohol on board makes a material difference to my investment.

Edited by Wehwalt

We have an air deviation with Princess to Venice. Our embarkation is in Rome. We are spending several evenings in both cities before our cruise. I have no idea if they will allow what I consider a "special" bottle to bring home.

Ask before.

Everything I have read and experienced, they will NOT destroy your bottles you bring onboard IF you do so with your carry-on and only at some ports. In Europe, so far they don't do anything. Now for us we bring wine on board, wine that you can not get on the ship. We will gladly pay a corkage fee for our wine, just like we do at any fine restaurant. As far as hard liquor in the past they held it for us until the last day. That seems to me like a good rule. I certainly don't let the Princess alcohol policy ruin my vacation. But if they destroyed my very good wine, then I would be ticked. I have not ever heard of them doing that yet.

We are hardly abstemious (typed while drinking a Bud Lime Light), but we, too, are rule followers. The bottom line is that I don't like to sneak, won't sneak, can't stand the thought of sneaking. If I have that much trouble following the rules, I just won't go.

For me, in a vacuum, I dont care what people do. If you want to bring on liquor, pot, heroin, whatever, knock yourself out. Just don't post about how you were/weren't able to sneak it on as that has the potential to negatively impact the rest of us who may suffer through higher fares or drink prices. And don't complain that it is somehow a travesty that Princess caught/prevented you from doing something that you expressly agreed not to do.

I also find the argument that being treated like a "responsible adult" means being allowed to do whatever one wants without consequenses, notwithstanding an express agreement not do do the prohibited act, to be ridiculous. That's not being an "adult;" that's being a spoiled child.

I guess I dont see why Princess would have to offer up any alternatives, such as storing it and returning it, since that's a hassle being forced upon them by people violating the rules. Id say that destroying it also is a far more effective deterrent than saying "you cant bring it on, but if you do, no biggie, youll get it back at the end of the trip."

Agreed. Why would Princess would use their employees to catalogue, store, then retrieve & deliver - contraband? What a logistics nightmare!

Because I'm paying them to!! Don't forget, I'm the paying customer, not a guest.

Wait...what? So if you agree to rules, and then choose to break the rules, you're saying you're paying them to return property that they already told would be forfeited if found?

I don't think so. :confused:

Wait...what? So if you agree to rules, and then choose to break the rules, you're saying you're paying them to return property that they already told would be forfeited if found?

I don't think so. :confused:

Where did you read I was going to smuggle it on? we're talking about a CUSTOMER buying a bottle of Lemoncello in Venice and wanting to board with it and not have Princess destroy his property.

Where did you read I was going to smuggle it on? we're talking about a CUSTOMER buying a bottle of Lemoncello in Venice and wanting to board with it and not have Princess destroy his property.

Ah ok...but you quoted something about returning contraband, thus the confusion. ;)

Well technically the Lemoncello would be contraband. But Princess has said you can board with Local Specialties and they'll store it for you so this debate is moot.

That is correct and why on my post I said they will not destroy Lemoncello if it is on your carry-on which of course it will be when you board in Venice. See ya soon in Venice :)

For me, in a vacuum, I dont care what people do. If you want to bring on liquor, pot, heroin, whatever, knock yourself out. Just don't post about how you were/weren't able to sneak it on as that has the potential to negatively impact the rest of us who may suffer through higher fares or drink prices. And don't complain that it is somehow a travesty that Princess caught/prevented you from doing something that you expressly agreed not to do.

I also find the argument that being treated like a "responsible adult" means being allowed to do whatever one wants without consequenses, notwithstanding an express agreement not do do the prohibited act, to be ridiculous. That's not being an "adult;" that's being a spoiled child.

Pretty much says it all.....:):):)

Bob

Because I'm paying them to!! Don't forget, I'm the paying customer, not a guest.

Maybe they should start charging a storage fee for each bottle that you bring on board that they have to store and return. You are paying for the cruise, not for them to store contraband.

Maybe they should start charging a storage fee for each bottle that you bring on board that they have to store and return. You are paying for the cruise, not for them to store contraband.

This whole thread is starting to take on a bit of a dis-heartening tone: The implication seems to be that Princess should not, and does not, accept your hard liquor brought on board at intermediate stops and offered for storage until the end of the cruise. We did that few times even last year, and they didn't seem to have a problem with storing our "contraband", (seemingly) happily giving us a receipt and returning the bottles to our cabin just before disembarkation. Has this changed? I'd like to clarify it before we jump on the Royal next month out of FLL

This whole thread is starting to take on a bit of a dis-heartening tone: The implication seems to be that Princess should not, and does not, accept your hard liquor brought on board at intermediate stops and offered for storage until the end of the cruise. We did that few times even last year, and they didn't seem to have a problem with storing our "contraband", (seemingly) happily giving us a receipt and returning the bottles to our cabin just before disembarkation. Has this changed? I'd like to clarify it before we jump on the Royal next month out of FLL

To be fair, the original post dealt with putting hard liquor in a checked bag and attempting to get it on board at the port of emarkation. 95% of this thread follows up on, and comments on this scenario. It is a prohibited practice, and what happened to the OP was within the published rules and guidelines of PCL. There has been some divergence into a discussion of what would/should happen at intermediate ports of call. I think the best that can be said is that PCL is, and has always been inconsistent in setting and enforcing a policy here.

Regarding the divergent discussion of Princess' handling of port purchased alcohol; it is already in their policy that it will be taken for safekeeping, so there is no need to discuss it further.

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. *A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

That is correct and why on my post I said they will not destroy Lemoncello if it is on your carry-on which of course it will be when you board in Venice. See ya soon in Venice :)

Just came off the Ruby, having boarded in Venice. There is a very good chance you can carry that Lemoncello straight to your room upon boarding. I quit drinking so we no longer bring wine onboard, but as recently as 2 weeks ago, our friends cruising with us were able to bring their duty free liquor purchases made in port directly to their state room upon embarkation. Many others were doing the exact same thing. Happy Cruising.

To be fair, the original post dealt with putting hard liquor in a checked bag and attempting to get it on board at the port of emarkation. 95% of this thread follows up on, and comments on this scenario. It is a prohibited practice, and what happened to the OP was within the published rules and guidelines of PCL. There has been some divergence into a discussion of what would/should happen at intermediate ports of call. I think the best that can be said is that PCL is, and has always been inconsistent in setting and enforcing a policy here.

-APPLAUSE-:p:cool:

Also Jimmy BTW:D

Getting ready for cruise leaving from FL, has anyone had trouble with that port? I see some people are even getting in trouble with rum runners.

The ships are just now returning to FLL, so there haven't been any anecdotal experiences from there since the new wine policy went into effect and the enforcement of the alcohol ban has been taken more seriously. Were I to guess, I would say that FLL will be the single most strict port of all places of embarkation. Total Wine is just down the road and PCL knows this. The cruises departing from FLL are fun-loving Caribbean cruises where PCL hopes to sell lots and lots of beer and umbrella drinks. The "European mentality" that results in a laissez faire approach to alcohol does not exist, so all of the reports that you read from Venice or Southampton or Barcelona probably will not apply.

My advice would be to carry on any wine and prepare to pay the corkage fee, and leave your hard liquor at home. Buy a bottle or two from Princess with you OBC and think of them as being "free". Ask yourself this. Is an extra $20 spent on board worth not being called down to the naughty room and embarassed by having to go through your luggage and explaining what the rum runner is doing in there? Do you really want to start your cruise off with a bad taste in your mouth knowing that your luggage was searched and items discarded without you being present? If this thread has taught us anything it is that people get very irritated and agitated at the thought of Princess doing to them exactly what the Passage Contract says it will do, and that angst leads people to vow to never cross a Princess transom ever again. All of this conflict can be avoided by simply obeying the rules and carrying on your wine, paying for it, and buying hard alcohol from Princess either by the bottle or glass. If these rules are too hard to follow or too Draconian, then stay on shore.

Edited by JimmyVWine