Best Transportation out of Dockyard? Tips?

actuary cruiser

We will be in Bermuda at the Dockyard for 3 days in October. Having been there before, I know that there is not much going on and would like to get to a beach (Horseshoe Bay or something closer) and am looking for the best way to do it. My concern is that we were here about 3 years ago when my son was only 1 year. We had planned on just taking a ferry ride to St. Georges or something but with two large ships docked at the time, there was a very long line just to get ferry/bus tokens. Then there was a separate line for the ferry. We waited for over an hour on the ferry line before we had to pull the plug because it was too much for my little one. So I'm wondering, is it always like this at the Dockyard? It seems that with a couple of large ships there, the facilities maybe just can't handle such a large group?

I would just like to take the bus to the beach or maybe do the ferry to St. George since we haven't been there. Does anyone have any tips for this, like the best time to go, or can we walk 10 minutes from the Dockyard and catch the bus at a less crowded stop? Are there other ways to get tokens other than the kiosk right on the Dockyard by the ferry? Or was the crowding that I experienced last time not really "normal"?

I know this was long, thanks for reading and would love some input!

You can't walk to another stop for a less crowded bus because the bus routes originate near the cruise ship piers in Dockyard.

Yes, there can be some lines but I've never found it that bad, and I haven't seen any complaints posted this year indicating it's any worse than in the past even though a larger ship, the Breakaway, now docks there.

There are often (I can't vouch for what's open at what times) several different places where you can buy transportation passes or tokens...right where your ship docks, a trailer-like building between the two docks, and the kiosk near the ferry stop. Sometimes, but not always, the ships have even had transportation passes for sale on board at their customer service desk.

You might want to just wait until the initial rush is over. Another option is to take a cab to the beach. If you are going to Horseshoe Bay one advantage is that the cab will take you right down to the beach and the bus lets you off at the top of the hill. I don't know when your ship arrives but if it is mid afternoon you might want to spend the 1st afternoon at the Dockyard. Then on the second day you shouldn't have a problem getting bus/ferry tickets or passes. If you arrive on Sunday (like we will be doing) the ferry to St. Georges will not be running and most shops in St. Georges and Hamilton will be closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still a little worried about the crowds, since last time the lines were just so so long. Someone mentioned another spot for buying tickets. What exactly are my options for buying tickets when I get off the ship at the dockyard? Thanks!

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still a little worried about the crowds, since last time the lines were just so so long. Someone mentioned another spot for buying tickets. What exactly are my options for buying tickets when I get off the ship at the dockyard? Thanks!

You can purchase them at one of the 3 permanent Visitor Information Centers or a temporary trailer. There is one at each wharf as you exit the cruise ship and one near the ferry dock. The trailer is white and it is located at the junction of the 2 wharves. You can easily see on the ones on the wharves whenever the Bermuda web cam pans the them.

SBtS

We had no problem getting the passes at the kiosk when we were there last month. That said, NCL sold passes at the guest services desk as well so that may be easier for you so you have them in advance. Not sure what line you are sailing but NCL sells them.

We had no problem getting the passes at the kiosk when we were there last month. That said, NCL sold passes at the guest services desk as well so that may be easier for you so you have them in advance. Not sure what line you are sailing but NCL sells them.

We are on NCL! Thanks! This would be perfect!

We are on NCL! Thanks! This would be perfect!

On our recent Breakaway cruise, the ship ran out of transportation passes well before its arrival in Bermuda, so just because they sell therm on board, it doesn't mean they're going to have sufficient quantities on hand for everyone who wants one.

On our recent Breakaway cruise, the ship ran out of transportation passes well before its arrival in Bermuda, so just because they sell therm on board, it doesn't mean they're going to have sufficient quantities on hand for everyone who wants one.

That is a good point. I bought mine on land after docking so I did not know if they ran out or not on my sailing. I guess OP should buy on the first day to ensure they get one :D

We purchased 2-day passes on the BA. Be sure to purchase them on the first day; the ship ran our of passes by late afternoon - before we sailed.

Upon arrival in Bermuda, we got off the ship and took the ferry to Hamilton. Yes, the line was long, but it moved quickly are we were on our way across the Sound. From there, we walked up to the bus depot and took the bus to the Botanical Gardens for a short tour. After that, back on the bus to St. George. We arrived in time to see the "dunking" and wandered around the town square. Since few ships are calling at St. G., many of the shops are no longer in business. Empty store fronts were the norm, rather than the thriving tourist shops. We took the ferry back directly to the Dockyard.

Day 2, was a full day at Coco Reef - something we would do again. On our last day, we enjoyed a morning re-enactment at the Victualing Yard and from there, went to play mini golf - great fun. There are very short clubs in the bins and I saw a few toddlers with their parents, playing golf.

Darcy

You can purchase them at one of the 3 permanent Visitor Information Centers or a temporary trailer. There is one at each wharf as you exit the cruise ship and one near the ferry dock. The trailer is white and it is located at the junction of the 2 wharves. You can easily see on the ones on the wharves whenever the Bermuda web cam pans the them.

SBtS

Can't agree more. The first place to buy tickets when exiting the Explorer had a long line. Went to the white trailer between the two wharves and walked right up to the window :). Thanks to CC for that tip!!

• 4 weeks later...

3 day pass good for all busses and ferrys is the way to go. Forget buying it on the ship as there is likely a mark up. There is a booth right on Kings Wharf that sells them for $35. The ferry to Hamilton or St Georges is another 100 meters past the booth. The busses go everywhere on the island and don't really take that long. End to end it's only 22 miles and can't be more than 3 wide.

3 day pass good for all busses and ferrys is the way to go. Forget buying it on the ship as there is likely a mark up. There is a booth right on Kings Wharf that sells them for $35. The ferry to Hamilton or St Georges is another 100 meters past the booth. The busses go everywhere on the island and don't really take that long. End to end it's only 22 miles and can't be more than 3 wide.

On Norwegian there was no markup. They only sold the 2-day passes for $25 though. I did not buy on the ship but rather at the booth at the dock and was charged the same price...$25 for 2 day pass. This was a better buy for us as we did all the Royal Dockyard activities on the last day in order to be close to the ship and thus did not need transport for 3 days.

I've never paid a surcharge or markup for buying the pass on the ship when it was available. Gunner22aa...sounds like you really just making an assumption and haven't actually purchased the pass on a ship.

The OP has already gone to Bermuda and returned, so there's no need for additional advice. :rolleyes:

Edited by njhorseman