Formal Night Attire

Den53

oh why would anyone want to avoid formal night?!? We love formal nights, we look forward to them. They are so fun. You get to dress up and have cocktails with other people that look as good as you do. You walk around and see everyone in their glitz and glam. It's a wonderful atmosphere.

agree!!

Exactly! And that is what I wear on a cruise. I do not own a tux and have no desire to rent one nor do I see the need to do either one.

P.S. I have never heard anyone comment on what I am wearing on a cruise. The snarky comments only come on these boards.

Of course none of your fellow cruisers will approach you and say anything on formal night if you're not wearing a jacket in the dining room. The men that are in jackets have accepted the request from Princess to dress in this manner for the enjoyment of all that wish to participate in formal night and attend dinner in the dining room. This means that these men will please their partners and wives and are considerate of others. So they would never speak of the way you are dressed to you, as that would be rude.:D

Formal attire is optional. Some will be in a tux, some in suite, some in a shirt and pants. Don't feel pressured to conform to what other see as required attire, it's your vacation, enjoy it.

When was your last Princess cruise?

No. Formal nights mean at least a jacket and tie. Many will be wearing suits or tuxedos.
Right. I very rarely see anyone not dressed with at least a jacket, as requested. If one chooses not to dress up, there are many other dining options on the Royal... far more than on other Princess ships. If I feel like dressing up, I go to the dining room. If I don't, I go to the buffet (which is awesome on the Royal and has many of the entrees being served in the dining room) or go to a specialty restaurant where the dress code is "smart casual" every night.

And those in just a shirt and tie in the MDR will not say a thing about how others are dressed as they enjoy their fine dining in the MDR. They will gladly conform to what the cruise line allows on these nights. Of course their partners will enjoy their meals knowing that their dinner companion is enjoying the meal in great comfort.

Edited by Potstech

Folks, it's all so simple....if you don't want to dress in the manner suggested by the cruise line, STAY OUT OF THE MD! So flame away because I will not be back to read them.

Edited by Ethel5

1st time on Princess, On NCL,RCCL, Carnival formal night I saw a lot of men in just shirts and slacks. No jacket. Is this okay for Princess also? Thanks

According to my Personal Vacation Planner who works for Princess and took my reservation, shirt and tie is completely acceptable.

Wrong all that is REQUIRED is a long sleeve shirt and tie for men.

I don't know about the cruises you have been on, but I saw almost no man in the MDR without a jacket on the formal nights. I attend 15 or 20 formal nights on Princess this year.

Last year at this time, I was on the Golden Princess. On the three formal nights, one man seated near us wore just a colored dress shirt (long sleeves, one time it was a weird mustardy colored, I think) each time. But he seemed to be in the minority, at least for our MDR. Many men wore jackets, some even wore tuxes.

I think it's up to the maitre'd to decide if you are up to code. If you are turned away, and don't want to grab a jacket from your cabin, you can head to the buffet, or one of the other venues (pizzeria, etc.). The specialty restaurants have a smart casual code every night. But you may get admitted to the dining room.

1st time on Princess, On NCL,RCCL, Carnival formal night I saw a lot of men in just shirts and slacks. No jacket. Is this okay for Princess also? Thanks

I don't observe Formal Night, and I don't eat dinner in any of the MDR venues, therefore I don't pack a suit, tie, tux, etc.

The Royal Princess Patter:

11486589924_d5f925903d_b.jpg

11486590634_018b390339_b.jpg

And despite the last post a long sleeve shirt and tie are permitted attire in the MDR on formal night. That is what I will wear and I will enjoy my dinner each night. And until Princess changes it That is the way it will be. Good day to all.

I think we have two different things here, we have what's written and then we have reality. I'd be willing to bet that if you told anyone working in the MDR that you planned on skipping formal night because you only had a long sleeved shirt and a tie and no jacket, everyone would tell you to still come.

I think we have two different things here, we have what's written and then we have reality. I'd be willing to bet that if you told anyone working in the MDR that you planned on skipping formal night because you only had a long sleeved shirt and a tie and no jacket, everyone would tell you to still come.

Exactly. My experience has been the tie is not required either. I typically go with a jacket and long sleeve dress shirt. Once one of our dinner partners forgot about formal night and showed up in a short sleeve shirt. He was not going to be admitted. We solved the issue right there by having him wear my jacket (he's taller than me so it was a bit humorous).

So, for that particular cruise with that particular set of staff, long sleeve dress shirt with no tie was fine. So was jacket (covering a short sleeve shirt) with no tie.

Of course none of your fellow cruisers will approach you and say anything on formal night if you're not wearing a jacket in the dining room. The men that are in jackets have accepted the request from Princess to dress in this manner for the enjoyment of all that wish to participate in formal night and attend dinner in the dining room. This means that these men will please their partners and wives and are considerate of others. So they would never speak of the way you are dressed to you, as that would be rude.:D

Not always....We had a woman (who was formally dressed) in the elevator make snide comments to us (casually dressed) as we made our way to the buffet.

Not always....We had a woman (who was formally dressed) in the elevator make snide comments to us (casually dressed) as we made our way to the buffet.

Me too. I was coming out of the wheelhouse heading to our cabin to get changed and someone make a snarky comment. She got an earful back.

I don't know about the cruises you have been on, but I saw almost no man in the MDR without a jacket on the formal nights. I attend 15 or 20 formal nights on Princess this year.

Never wear a tuxor a jacket and always eat in MDR on formal night. NEVER had a problem. I am Platinum status.