LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Hi Pia, baesue here;

Really enjoying your posts. Please keep them coming but, most importantly, enjoy your cruise.

Have you been able to determine when the 1st formal night is on the 18 day TA? Appreciate your response.

Hi friends,

I am posting late for Roma, on this port intensive cruise I am having a tough time writing up all the private excursions in a timely manner. Better late than never!

9-30-2013

Roma, Roma, Roma

Today Fabrizio picked us up at 7:15 prompt, Civitavecchia is so busy today and seemingly filled with many giant cruise ships. We had planned to visit the Vatican and Ostia Antica but discovered it was closed so we decided to spend the entire day in Roma. I love Roma and cannot get enough of it, especially with Fabrizio.

We beat the cruise ship buses and still hit traffic as we approached Roma, it was just like home! We talked and laughed, Fabrizio entertained us with information and jokes and the time just flew by.

We went directly to the Vatican with the intention of visiting St. Peter's and specifically the cupola (dome) where we wanted to climb to the top for the most spectacular view of this eternal city. There was a small line, we got on it and quickly got into the church, grateful to have missed the giant lines that now equal those for the Sistine Chapel. I remember the days when there were no lines at all, but now they have become massive so make sure you get there as early as you can!

I had read in Rick Steve's that one could either climb or ride an elevator, we all decided to take the elevator which cost 7 Euros pp, the climb cost 5. We bought the elevator and discovered that Rick Steve's info was only particularly correct. We were able to get half was up on the elevator and once off we had spectacular views of the mosaics along the upper walls of the church, as well as amazing views down into the dome of the church. It was wonderful. Then we found out that the rest of the way up could only be accessed with narrow stairs that wound around in an endless spiral up, up, up as then got narrower. Part way up I had my first major claustrophobic attack!! Although it was a one way stair, I had to race back down because I felt like I didn't have any air. There were over 320 stairs up to the top, only half of our group made it up and they were exhausted when they returned. I was so proud of them for doing it, it sounded more difficult than I imagined so I was glad I turned around! From here we walked out to the rooftop of the church and wow, the views were spectacular!

Back at the church floor, we could see that the placed had filled up with massive crowds and we could not even get close to Michael Angelo's Pieta. Good thing we all had good zoom cameras, we got great pictures from a distance! We realized that we had missed the huge crowds on the way in but they quickly caught up and over took the church. It was time to go meet up with Fabrizio!

Fabrizio was waiting for us in the assigned place and we were off to discover more of my favorite part of the city, the historic center. We passed many sites, Palaces, and glorious buildings as we zipped along in Fabrizios brand new roomy van. Next stop was the Capuchin crypt. Making a circular entrance to this interesting, and weird place, we got dropped off right in front and Fabrizio joined us to point out interesting aspects of this crypt. It was weird and wonderful.

It was pouring rain by now so we decided to make a quick stop at the Pantheon, the head for lunch. We ate at a nice simple place, just Pizzas, and then we met up with our guide for our afternoon visiting some wonderful churches. Our guide, Francesco Curti, joined us after lunch. The rain subsided as we headed for the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano, one of the largest in Roma. This is a beautiful church, filled with ornate decorations and many religious artifacts. We learned about the jubilee years which happen every 25 years and saw the lovely doors that are only opened for this occasion. Next one happens in 2015.

Our last few stops were also Basilicas; Santa Maria Maggiore and La Scala Santa. Both were exquisite and large, the later filled with many climbing the stairs on their knees. I was amazed at the amount of people climbing on their knees, it looked painful.

Fabrizio was concerned about getti g us back to the ship on time so we jammed out of Roma and made it back with minutes to spare. It was another lovely day in my favorite places. Tomorrow we visit Naples, my 12 time in this port but my first time visiting the city. Till then...

Amelia

Pia & Amelia;

Thank you for taking the time to post your observations. Amelia, I'm very excited to be able to finally be able to vist the Vatican. I am a little concerned about the crowds but just being there will be good enough for me:) One question about the Vatican. I assume that no flas pictures are allowed. Are you still allowed to take non-flash pictures.....

Bob

Hi friends,

I am posting late for Roma, on this port intensive cruise I am having a tough time writing up all the private excursions in a timely manner. Better late than never!

9-30-2013

Roma, Roma, Roma

Today Fabrizio picked us up at 7:15 prompt, Civitavecchia is so busy today and seemingly filled with many giant cruise ships. We had planned to visit the Vatican and Ostia Antica but discovered it was closed so we decided to spend the entire day in Roma. I love Roma and cannot get enough of it, especially with Fabrizio.

We beat the cruise ship buses and still hit traffic as we approached Roma, it was just like home! We talked and laughed, Fabrizio entertained us with information and jokes and the time just flew by. ....... It was time to go meet up with Fabrizio!

Hi Amelia

Your entry brought back such great memories of past trips to Rome. I too remember the days of walking into St. Peter's up the front steps!! No wandering hallways.

Think you said in prior post that Fabrizio had a surprise for you in Rome. What was it?

Keep the excursion posts coming. So fun.

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Pia & Amelia;

Thank you for taking the time to post your observations. Amelia, I'm very excited to be able to finally be able to vist the Vatican. I am a little concerned about the crowds but just being there will be good enough for me:) One question about the Vatican. I assume that no flas pictures are allowed. Are you still allowed to take non-flash pictures.....

Bob

Vatican, Yes, Vatican Museum, No

It was a lazy day at sea, so why am I so exhausted? A little bit of trivia (no win), and then our Meet and Greet in Club 6. We had a fantastic turnout which was hosted by Franky, Denise and moi. I was the designated M.C. (surprise, surprise) and we had a mic which made life easier. Lots of VIP’s in attendance, namely; the captain, the staff captain, the hotel general manager and the customer service director. None of them were in any hurry to leave and all stayed on to talk and pose for photos. We had 9 door prizes for our roll call group and you had to be present to win. All in all a wonderful meeting. The CD and her deputy arrived towards the end, since they were filming something in Princess Live.

Eight of us went to lunch at Alfredos. Yum. Love that new menu. I had antipasto and calzone. Pizza is never my first choice.

Afterwards we had a lot pull at the Wheel of Fortune machine. 35 participants at $15 each. We ended up getting back $15.50 per person. So much fun and we even made half a buck. Side bet of $1.00 each brought the biggest “winner” an extra $35. It was Denise.

A little past 5 now, and wine time has arrived. No mimosas or champagne, or OJ for us. We have also decided not to do formal night. My jeans are a lot more comfortable and I'm just plain lazy.

See you in Mykonos

Pia & Amelia;

Bob

Hi Bob,

I saw lots of people taking pictures with flashes in the church but I am not sure it is ok. I won't tell...;)

Hi Amelia

Your entry brought back such great memories of past trips to Rome. I too remember the days of walking into St. Peter's up the front steps!! No wandering hallways.

Think you said in prior post that Fabrizio had a surprise for you in Rome. What was it?

Keep the excursion posts coming. So fun.

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am behind because we are having a blast, I will try to post about our awesome day in Naples tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow we are going to Delos, in the afternoon ill try to catch up!

Amelia

Odd, the Crab Shackfest was in the Bayou Cafe on the Coral Princess last week. Guess they section a part of the Horizon Court off on the Royal.

If you have never been to Ischia you should go next time you are in Naples. It is an island, therefore, you have to take the hydrofoil. Located adjacent the ship. It is charming and less busy than Capri. Offers good shopping, restaurants, beaches and panoramic views. The city bus will take you around the whole island very cheaply and you can get on and off as often as you like to visit each town. The main one being right off the pier when visiting the island. This island is also known for many spas as they have sulphur springs/pools. Hope this info helps you or others reading and researching things to do in the Naples area.

Edited by amazinglife

Pia & Amelia;

Bob

Bob, 3 years ago, we were able to take non-flash photos in both the Vatican Museum, and in St Peter's. Absolutely no photos in the Sistine Chapel. I also had a unipod to steady my camera, but found out that was a no no, and were instructed to check it at the coat check room. That would have meant going all the way back there after our tour, since we would finish the tour at the other end of Vatican City, so Pat smuggled the thing in her coat sleeve through the whole tour. This year, she said I can not take my unipod to any museums (I think that was said under penalty of death, and a slow one at that!).

Enjoy your time at the Vatican, it is easy to spend an entire day just going through the Vatican Museums.

Stan

Pia,

Also at Alfredo's try the ravioli and the eggplant. Both are small portion main dishes and go well with one of the anti pastas or salads. The ravioli is in a sinful sauce!!

Carole

Is the eggplant more thin and crispy? Tried it a few years ago on another ship and it was this way and really good.

Is the eggplant more thin and crispy? Tried it a few years ago on another ship and it was this way and really good.

It is a thin slice wrapped around spaghetti with cheese and sauce. Kind of a like a rollatini. I love the eggplant appetizer on Princess too! Wish it was on the always available!

Thank you Amelia. I was waiting to hear about your tours with Fabrizio in Rome and Naples. I hope you are having a fantastic time! See you next week!

Yep, I can't wait to see you, we will keep it small when we go with Fabrizio to Amalfi. The person we were going to bring is not welcomed, fab asked that we keep it small with only nice people, and so we will. More on that later. Hurry up and get here! Love ya,

Amelia

Yep, I can't wait to see you, we will keep it small when we go with Fabrizio to Amalfi. The person we were going to bring is not welcomed, fab asked that we keep it small with only nice people, and so we will. More on that later. Hurry up and get here! Love ya,

Amelia[/quote/]

I would leave today if I could. I'm ready!

It looks like we will be having a great kick-off party for the second leg next Tuesday night. It keeps getting bigger and bigger. Can't wait to see everyone! l cannot believe all the great people I have met over the past few TA cruises who are cruising with me again. Then there are all the people I haven't met yet but feel like I ready know. This is going to be the best cruise ever. I can just feel it.

FYI everybody on the transatlantic. M&G time was just changed to 1030-1130AM, still in Vista Lounge Oct 11th.

In case people are reading this live blog as opposed to our roll call I just wanted you to know as it was just posted by Alicia on our roll call.

See you there!

Jennifer