LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

10-25-2013

Good Morning All,

Yesterday was another jam packed day on the Royal, I continue to make a list of all activities and many of my friends refer to that now! LOL.

Yesterday we had a miscommunication and the 10am trivia slated for Club 6 was changed to the Vista lounge. I never saw so many people racing across the ship, all intent on getting the best seats in the house (the round groupings of tables, couches, and chairs) and of course nobody got "their" places. Just as we all settled down, another announcement was made that the trivia was In Club 6! Once again there was a mass exit of people, all racing back across the ship in order to get their favorite seats again! There was a clog up at the doors, and some people got mean and nasty to the staff which was ridiculous and embarrassing! This was simply an error and frankly I enjoyed the brisk walking and think this should become part of the games. Traveling aerobic trivia! ;)

Games, games, games all day long, with food stops in between. Lunch in the Concerto dining room was excellent; they had curry chicken pasta, and yummy veggie stuffed red peppers. The Lemon Jello was as good as Jello can be, not so good! We detoured to the pastry shop upstairs and grabbed a few oatmeal cookies. BTW, you can now get hot chocolate in the HC/Bistro whenever you like, it's where the coffee/tea/hot water station is between the Bistro and HC.

More games, a lecture by Jules, a fellow CC friend and Geology/Astronomy/History lecturer, and shopping for jewelry. The ring I really wanted was gone, grabbed up early in the cruise. Guess I will wait until the next cruise.

We ate dinner at Alfredo's, had the veggie antipasto, and shared the Veal pasta and a veggie pizza which was OK, I like the Pizza upstairs better probably because it is warmer and crisper. The Apple tart was very good as well. BTW, there was no lines for Alfredo's tonight when we got there at 6PM, probably because tonight was the last formal night and Lobster was on the MDRs menus. Normally, I see people lined up for Alfredo's at 6, so plan accordingly.

Jeopardized Trivia in Princess live was fun--we won-- and the place was packed. DH is a safety consultant and he pointed out that there is only one exit in this venue, something that is not allowed on land in the states because of fire hazards. Anyway, we hung out to play Liars Club, and it was so funny. It starred The CD Sam, Deputy Dan, and the comedian Al Katz. We laughed so much, you should have seen Dan demonstrating putting on a pair of nylons, it was classic! Of course I forgot the camera...

Two more days left, kind of sad ending the cruise despite all the issues I have had. Will I be cruising on the Royal again? Yep, taking the b2b Baltics and TA next year, just love the itinerary since I have not visited one of the ports.

Time to start the day...

Kathy: the sports court is on the 18th floor, you take the elevator to the 17th then walk up to the 18th. The soot smells occur when the wind is blowing it in the direction of where you are. It probably is also more pronounced if you are sensitive to smells. Ken smelled it several times up there, but not always. It is definitely an issue, just walking around the 17th rear smoking area you can see black soot stains on the floors.

Amelia

Had dinner in the buffet last night. They even had beef Wellington that was rare. I don't normally get beef Wellington because big slabs of beef aren't my thing but they gave me a nice thin slice. I also had a grilled lamb kabob with veggies and mashed potatoes plus a salad. The BBQ ribs at lunch yesterday were excellent... meaty and tasty.

Spent some time in the Retreat yesterday when I was able to find a lounger temporarily in the shade. The wind was howling and the lounger uncomfortable so I stayed for only about an hour.

Went to the Sanctuary and even though it's in the bow, it was a calm oasis. Price is $15/half-day, $25/full day. Times are 8:30am-1pm, 1:30pm-6pm. If you'd booked the whole cruise (twelve people did), price is $20/day. I have tons of OBC left over so I'm going to run up in an hour and snag a lounger for the day.

We are doing EZ Check as our flight out of MIA isn't until 3:35pm on Sunday. The next two days are going to go fast.

The pillows are king-sized and very fluffy. Don't know if they are feather or fill. They are not foam.

M508 is iffy. I'll try to check out what it's under.

Good Friday morning, our sixth consecutive day at sea. Disembarkation is getting close and some time today will be packing time. I never like to wait until the last day, a day I like to have completely free to come and go and do “whatever”, without feeling rushed.

Last night we thought about going to the dining room; it was escargot on the menu. But remembering that this wasn’t so good on the last cruise, we again opted for HC. And also, not having to get dressed in formal attire. Afterwards we spent a few hours in Princess Live, first participating in the Royal Categories Game Show (really Jeopardy) and laughing our heads off during the Liar’s Club. Clocks went back again too. Love that extra hour!

Busy morning today; four things to do at 10:00.

1. MUTS - “Hitch”

2. Arts & Crafts

3. Trivia

4. Culinary Demo

Also this morning is a lecture: The Story Behind the Fish we Eat, the Wake Show Live and another Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse.

Afternoon brings us the lecture - Mexico & the Remarkable Story of Chocolate, and another lecture: Titanic Tragedy: New Look at the Lost Liner. Also on tap this afternoon is Mamma Mia on MUTS, the Pop Choir performance, a slot tournament and the CC Farewell M & G.

Tonights offerings are the production show Spectacular, male vocalist in Vista ,“The Way, Way Back” on MUTS, Dangerous Hour Murder Mystery in Princess Live and following that, Princess Pop Star.

Anita: when I read your wine statement, I really did laugh out loud. And at that time I was in the internet café and got a few peculiar stares. Happy to hear you like the cheapie purchase. :)

Mabones: No sign of Fimo Creations. I have been through the store many many times. Haven’t missed a thing.

Barb: Thank you. :D

Had dinner in the buffet last night. They even had beef Wellington that was rare. I don't normally get beef Wellington because big slabs of beef aren't my thing but they gave me a nice thin slice. I also had a grilled lamb kabob with veggies and mashed potatoes plus a salad. The BBQ ribs at lunch yesterday were excellent... meaty and tasty.

Spent some time in the Retreat yesterday when I was able to find a lounger temporarily in the shade. The wind was howling and the lounger uncomfortable so I stayed for only about an hour.

Went to the Sanctuary and even though it's in the bow, it was a calm oasis. Price is $15/half-day, $25/full day. Times are 8:30am-1pm, 1:30pm-6pm. If you'd booked the whole cruise (twelve people did), price is $20/day. I have tons of OBC left over so I'm going to run up in an hour and snag a lounger for the day.

We are doing EZ Check as our flight out of MIA isn't until 3:35pm on Sunday. The next two days are going to go fast.

The pillows are king-sized and very fluffy. Don't know if they are feather or fill. They are not foam.

M508 is iffy. I'll try to check out what it's under.

Pam since you are using EZ check does that mean Princess is supplying your transportation to Miami? If not what service are you using to get to Miami?

Thanks

Joe

Joe, easy check doesn't mean you have to take Princess transportation. I have done it both ways from Ft. Lauderdale.

I do know for sure that Princess does have transportation to Miami airport.

Last time we did easy check (Seattle), if we were using Princess transportation (we did because did a tour then airport), no charge for the easy check. This was a first for us and really happy about it.Saved $20.00 a person.Will use Princess transportation every time we do easy check, if it works out cheaper.

The beds are ultra comfortable...pillow top..also the quality of the bedding was excellent. Much much much better than the other Princess ships I have sailed on.

I'll second that, the beds are ultra comfortable. I doubt you'll need the topper.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

All the "live from" posters did an excellent job offering varied opinions on multiple topics.:) We board the Royal on Nov. 10, 2013. We have a mini suite on the Riviera Deck. We are traveling with friends and have 4 minis in a row. I know we we all have a great time together on the ship.

Just today I booked the New England cruise on the Royal to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary next October. Another Mini Suite, port side Marina.

Thanks again for all your comments, positive and negative.

Everyone have a safe journey home.;);)

Steve

Edited by dedosr

Hi guys sailing on royal in a week. just wondering about the mattress I am hearing on some of the other princess ships not so comfy...

Royal is new sooo how are they....or do I need to get a topper

The beds are so comfortable, and the pillows are great too. We got one feather and one non-feather each. Love the feather pillows too. Good sleeps on the ship...

Good Friday morning, our sixth consecutive day at sea. Disembarkation is getting close and some time today will be packing time. I never like to wait until the last day, a day I like to have completely free to come and go and do “whatever”, without feeling rushed.

Thanks again for your "Live" thread. You will be coming home to wonderful weather. The heat and humidity left last night. South FL is experiencing the weather we year rounders love.

All packed:). Nothing more to do than to enjoy a Blue Moon or two, or three, or four.....:D:D:D

Bob

Enjoy those Blue Moons Bob. :) I live on the other side of the mountain from you, we've got some awesome temps going on, dry and in the 80's. Today we woke up to it socked in with fog, not sure if Palmdale gets the fog.

Edited by H20 Lover

Actually, the OS cabins we've had on the Ruby, Emerald, and Crown have all had a table with four chairs for dining with a lot of additional space around the table. Based on the photos on that website, I think the OS on the older ships probably has at least 150 sq. ft. more than the one Bob is in.

I never saw the post about the sq ft totals benig around 700. It might be, but I would be very suspect. If it is 700, it could also include the balcony which is huge. Another thing to consider is the design of the cabin. The bathroom. Is right in the middle and separates the two rooms. The "living room" area is actually the aft balcony cabin that was lost to make the suites bigger. I shudder to think what the suites would look like if they hadn't redesigned them. My unhappiness with the cabin is that I think it far from what a suite should be for what I paid for it. Others will surely disagree and call me all sorts of names (as some have already done so) but I just think it was way over priced for what you get.

Bob

Since the TA is almost done, I will hijack the thread briefly to give my thoughts about Bob’s “Owner’s Suite” on the Royal. There appear to be many errors on the Princess website regarding cabin and balcony dimensions but from some information I have saved, it appears that the interior dimensions of the S4 Penthouse Suites for the Crown/Emerald/Ruby and the Royal are almost identical at about 372 sq ft and the interior dimensions of the Royal’s S2s are slightly smaller, 462 sq ft than the S2s on the Crown/Emerald/Ruby, 469 sq ft. However, because of the strange layout of the S2s on the Royal, that additional space is not useful and appears to be taken up by hallway rather than useful living space. I have never been in the typical Grand class Owner’s Suite but have finally found a photo. The sitting room portion of Bob's "Owner's Suite" is no bigger than a Grand class Penthouse Suite and is nothing like a Grand class Owner's Suite.

Sitting Area - Emerald Penthouse Suite

Emerald+Princess+-+R405+-+Living+Room+-+3.JPG

Sitting Area - Royal Owner's Suite

1371232713002-RoyalPrincessOwnersSuite-024-1306141402_4_3.jpg

On the Grand class ships that additional space is all added to the sitting area and there is an additional chair by the sofa and a table with four chairs.

Sitting Area - Ruby Owner's Suite

0000princess%202009%20304.JPG.jpg

This wasn't the first downgrade of the "Owner's Suites". Two Owner's Suites were added on the Sun deck of the Golden. The additional chair by the sofa and a table with four chairs were gone in that arrangement and there is one large room.

IMG_0303.JPG

Bob, "You was robbed" and so is everyone that books an Owner's Suite on the Royal or the Sun deck Owner's Suites on the Golden.

Now, back to your original programming with great "Live From" information from Pia, Pam, Bob and Amelia. Thank you everyone for taking the time to post information during your cruise!

Edited by IECalCruiser

"There are a few very crabby people, though. I was in the elevator the other day and a woman practically shouted (as she was pushed to the back): "I can't wait to get off this god forsaken ship! It's been hell!" There are a few like that. Overall, I'd say that other than the elevator issues, people are enjoying the ship and the cruise " Quote from Pam.

Nice to hear, Pam.

I am starting to believe that there is such a thing as a portable hell and some people make sure thay always have one in their luggage or carry it wherever they go :). If only it came with a mute button... Feel sad for them...up to a point.. They can afford to cruise, are visiting wonderful countries, have tons of food available, sleep in beds many would dream of and they don't even have to make it in the morning and that is hell !!! Wow, it must be something when things are good for them !!!

Yep, so people will find a lot of things to consider "hell' no matter what.

I never saw the post about the sq ft totals benig around 700. It might be, but I would be very suspect. If it is 700, it could also include the balcony which is huge. Another thing to consider is the design of the cabin. The bathroom. Is right in the middle and separates the two rooms. The "living room" area is actually the aft balcony cabin that was lost to make the suites bigger. I shudder to think what the suites would look like if they hadn't redesigned them. My unhappiness with the cabin is that I think it far from what a suite should be for what I paid for it. Others will surely disagree and call me all sorts of names (as some have already done so) but I just think it was way over priced for what you get.

Thank you for your post, Bob.

Bob

Thank you for your response, Bob. I am sorry to hear some might be calling you names. For the price someone would pay for your cabin I would think your thoughts would be appreciated.

Gloria is right. EZ Check is only for luggage, flight check-in and boarding passes. No transfer. Since our flight is at 3:35, we are taking a Princess tour that includes transfer to the airport. The tour is a boat ride (not the Everglades airboat) and Las Olas Blvd.

As for pillowtop mattresses, I've had those on all of my Princess cruises in the past two years, including the Star, Island, Crown and Diamond ranging from Caribe balcony to oceanview cabin. The Royal beds are even better.

I've only been on the Celebrity Summit but compared to that, the Royal buffet is much bigger and better, including made-to-order sandwiches in the Horizon Bistro at lunch. Not only is the buffet longer but there are a couple of aisles and even a cross aisle between them. Use your imagination:

] H [

Extend the top and bottom of each bracket and you'll get an idea. Each of those lines has an array of food. And this is just the Horizon Court.

Pam we did the same tour you will be doing last January. Loved the Boat ride. It was narrated,went by the huge mansions, mega boats, and you get all the gossipy stories associated with all that money. The tour around Ft. Lauderdale also great and our guide was very knowledgeable.

Once we arrived at airport, it was really nice not having to lug luggage

(ezcheck) and had our boarding passes. Very relaxing last day of vacation.Hope yours is the same.

Really enjoyed your views of the Royal. Even though we had just left when you got on, nice to hear another view. Loved that the four of you had different views (Pia, Bob, Amelia).

Looking forward to meeting you on the Royal next year.

Gloria:D

Edited by san diego sue