Beverage Package Price Increase On Board

pmfm

I called celebrity today. I was told upgrading was only possible on the ship but she reckoned (and I hope she's right) that we would be charged the same difference. There is still a difference of $11.50 incl gratuity between classic and premium. I'm going to argue anyway that that should be the case esp as this is so new.

You can definitely upgrade in advance. I have done it for all my cruises including the one this paste April. You need to call cruise enhancements, the same people who take dinner reservations.

- sorry read more after, if you are too close to sailing you likely can't do this if you can't make other reservations either

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

I am intending to purchase the Classic Package for my January 2014 cruise on Eclipse as there were no offers or freebies available on this when I booked. After reading this I thought I had better check out the situation on the UK website. Athough I will be invoiced in £GB, the information on the website is showing US$. This is what is on the UK website:

" Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5.75 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $9.25 per serving. The Classic package also provides you with the chance to receive a discount of 20% on bottles of wine purchased.

$50.60 per guest, per day*

* Please note, this is the price for booking the package online in advance of your sailing. Prices for packages purchased on board will be at a higher amount. You can book online up until 4 days prior to your sail date."

I am not happy!! It is $44 daily for US customers and more than $6 more for customers from UK. Why should UK customers have to pay more for the same package??? I know that it must seem that we in UK are always moaning that we are treated differently, but this is one of the reasons why. They are not even trying to hide the difference as it is quoted in $ on the UK website and it is plain to see. And I expect that Celebrity also make some money from the exchange rate too. It is so wrong. I am so angry.

Don't be angry. Here's a bit of information that may help with your emotions about this. For some reason, (I don't know why) there are itineraries in Europe where the service charge for drinks has to be included in the pricing of the drink rather than an additional line item charge.

For example, if you are in the Caribbean and you look at a menu, you will see a beer priced at $5. If you order that beer, you will receive a bill that is spelled out: Beer $5 + 15% service charge = $5.75

If you are on some European sailings, you will look at a menu and see that beer is $5.75. If you order that beer, you will receive a bill for $5.75.

Same thing just presented a bit differently.

I think that it is a matter of some cultural differences. In the USA, we are used to paying service charges; whereas in the UK, I don't think you are as used to that as we are. So, they are just presenting the information a bit differently.

When we buy a classic alcohol package, we pay $44 + 15% service charge = $50.60 a day.

Same price.

Hope this makes you feel loads better.:)

OK heres the scoop:

You absolutely can upgrade to premium before sailing, but....you have to pay the difference at the time you call. The difference for a 4 day was $46 per person. Making the upgrade $11.50 per day? :confused: does that seem right?

Yes, Bonnie. That's right. The price difference between the packages is $10, and adding on the service charge of 15% brings the total per diem to $11.50.

@laslomas. I'm glad that you feel better. I know what it feels like when you think the "system" is being unfair.

I think that the only question I have about this increase in pricing is whether the price DIFFERENCE or UPGRADE price will change once you get onboard, especially if you've bought the package on land. There is a $10 price difference between classic and premium for LAND prices and a $10 price difference between classic and premium for ON BOARD prices. What I'm now believing is that there will actually be a higher, $!5 price difference if you decide to upgrade a package that you've purchased on land. Well, that's going from the classic to the premium alcohol packages. I think there is a difference, actually, in all the package purchases.

I wonder if Celebrity will honor the fine print on the 1-2-3-Go perks that they've pre sold because all of those have the $10 difference stated on the promotion. It's just something to wonder about, I suppose, until someone gets on board with the 1-2-3 and wants to upgrade.

I did ask that because online it said it was too late to make further purchases due to the proximity of the date of my cruise but they lady on the phone said it just wasn't possible on the phone. I asked at that stage if it was not possible because we were sailing so soon but she said that wasn't the reason.

You should not assume that every Celebrity phone rep will give you accurate information (particularly when she couldn't even tell you why you couldn't handle the purchase over the phone). There's a good reason it's often said on here that if you call three different times, and ask the same question, you may get three different answers.

Upgrading a beverage package can be done over the phone, I've done it twice now. I believe you are too close to your sailing.

Have a great trip.

I am intending to purchase the Classic Package for my January 2014 cruise on Eclipse as there were no offers or freebies available on this when I booked. After reading this I thought I had better check out the situation on the UK website. Athough I will be invoiced in £GB, the information on the website is showing US$. This is what is on the UK website:

" Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5.75 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $9.25 per serving. The Classic package also provides you with the chance to receive a discount of 20% on bottles of wine purchased.

$50.60 per guest, per day*

* Please note, this is the price for booking the package online in advance of your sailing. Prices for packages purchased on board will be at a higher amount. You can book online up until 4 days prior to your sail date."

I am not happy!! It is $44 daily for US customers and more than $6 more for customers from UK. Why should UK customers have to pay more for the same package??? I know that it must seem that we in UK are always moaning that we are treated differently, but this is one of the reasons why. They are not even trying to hide the difference as it is quoted in $ on the UK website and it is plain to see. And I expect that Celebrity also make some money from the exchange rate too. It is so wrong. I am so angry.

The difference is not a price increase. It is because the prices from the UK include the gratuity. Due to differences in local customs and practices Celebrity has gotten a lot of complaints from UK customers about the gratuities that are automatically added on. Apparently there have been sufficient complaints that that they now price items sold in the UK, including the beverage prices on the Eclipse sailings from Southampton, at a price including the 15% service charge. So your total price is quoted as including the gratuity whereas the USA price is quoted before adding the automatic 15% service charge. $44 + 15% = $50.60. This was also applied to the cap on the beverage prices under the Classic package which is actually $8 before gratuities.

Edited by Lsimon

I am in the US and booked through Celebrity on-line a couple of weeks ago. This morning I was able to call Celebrity and select the beverage packages as our perk. I told the rep we wanted to upgrade. She transferred me to another rep, who took our order and upgraded us for $11.50 per day. It already shows on the "My Celebrity" reservation on-line. Easy-peazy.

A lot of speculation here about the upgrade price. The various promotions that have offered the classic package as a perk have included wording in the fine print that specifically said it is upgradeable at $10/pp per day + the 15% gratuity by contacting Celebrity. I've also read a lot of posts here from cruisers who have called Celebrity and been told just to do the upgrade on board although I've not called them myself. Putting those two together I'd say the on board upgrade price should remain at $10/pp but if anyone is concerned I'd recommend calling Celebrity or your TA and specifically asking if you can still upgrade at that price on board.

Host Andy: If you read this perhaps you could get official clarification on upgrade price on board.

.. and the answer I just received is that the price to upgrade on board will be the difference between the land price paid and the on board price. In the instance of the classic alcohol to premium alcohol package the difference is $15 +15% service charge.

When questioned about the "fine print" on the flyer about the Promotional Perks and that the upgrade price difference would only be $10 + 15% service charge, the response was that "on every Celebrity flyer there is a statement that reads 'prices subject to change without notice'."

Yes, you can still upgrade on board, at the increased price. The difference is that you would pay the difference on board, which means that any OBC would be able to be used for the price difference. If you upgrade on land, then you will get the benefit of upgrading for the lower $10 price difference, but you will be charged for the upgrade on a credit card. So pay before you go.

At least, this is the information that I received a few minutes ago.

So if we can't apply the upgrade in the beverage package to use up our large OBC what will there be to do with it?

Gratuities only use so much and all of our liquor will be paid with the package.

I don't like ship's excursions and stopped having massages years ago when the stress from the heavy product sell at the end outweighed any pleasure I got from the massages.

We've never had money left before - does anyone know if the OBC from a TA is refundable?

.... :( ....

So if we can't apply the upgrade in the beverage package to use up our large OBC what will there be to do with it?

Gratuities only use so much and all of our liquor will be paid with the package.

I don't like ship's excursions and stopped having massages years ago when the stress from the heavy product sell at the end outweighed any pleasure I got from the massages.

We've never had money left before - does anyone know if the OBC from a TA is refundable?

Certainly Celebrity sourced OBC is not refundable.

I don't think TA OBC is refundable, but if you have pre-paid OBC that is.

I bought 9 ($25) units for our March cruise, because the exchange rate was excellent for those from UK.

We ended up buying an iPad, so we didn't loose ours, as was our 1st time as Elite and we found we had sufficient alcohol via the drinks vouchers.

You could of course do laundry, or use it in the iLounge.

I think the OBC from TA is refundable back to your CD after the cruise which happen to me (small amount left):D on last Christmas (Solstice to New Zealand).

There's always the gift shop.

Just had a long chat with Captain's Club. Because it is new they are still working out the details. She first thought, as posted above, that it would be $15 + tx. Then we discussed upgrading at a bar to a Premium PKg, the bartender (as far as we can figure out) will just charge $10 + 15% to upgrade. They won't know if you purchased on board or online (ie what you paid for the pkg). At least that is our thoughts. We need to hear from people on board to find out how the ship is handling it. I imagine there are going to be a few shocked people over the next few months who were planning to buy the pkg on board:(

Edited by Christine Frances

Certainly Celebrity sourced OBC is not refundable.

I don't think TA OBC is refundable, but if you have pre-paid OBC that is.

I bought 9 ($25) units for our March cruise, because the exchange rate was excellent for those from UK.

We ended up buying an iPad, so we didn't loose ours, as was our 1st time as Elite and we found we had sufficient alcohol via the drinks vouchers.

You could of course do laundry, or use it in the iLounge.

I forgot about the internet. My husband keeps up with work while on vacation so I think the internet package will probably use up a decent amount of the OBC that we have left after the gratuities.

And a good bottle of wine (with our 30% discount ;) ) will use up the rest! :D

Thanks for all of the responses and ideas!

From what I have read before if you were uk based and wanted to upgrade to premium package (having the basic one included as part of booking) you had to on boarding.

The price was always 10 dollars plus grats. Are people outside of uk being allowed to upgrade before sailing? Are uk based people still not allowed to upgrade before sailing?

If so it's a bit unfair.

I have just upgraded on the phone for our cruise in 2 weeks time. Prices will change on Infinity on Monday 30th. I only upgraded not my hubby and this was ok. but remember I am in UK and rules may be different elsewhere. Allison

Just reposting for the UK

I always assume that things can change at any time, as soon as our 123 perk showed up on our reservation for the classic bev pkg, I called my TA to upgrade to Premium. He questioned why I would want to give Celebrity my money 9 months in advance, I figure that at some point Celebrity could say - no upgrades for pkgs through the 123 perk. You never know so figure would rather pay now and lock in. We purchased the premium pkg for our last cruise and loved not receiving a bill at the end of the cruise and loved trying all of the different drinks.

A lot of speculation here about the upgrade price. The various promotions that have offered the classic package as a perk have included wording in the fine print that specifically said it is upgradeable at $10/pp per day + the 15% gratuity by contacting Celebrity. I've also read a lot of posts here from cruisers who have called Celebrity and been told just to do the upgrade on board although I've not called them myself. Putting those two together I'd say the on board upgrade price should remain at $10/pp but if anyone is concerned I'd recommend calling Celebrity or your TA and specifically asking if you can still upgrade at that price on board.

Host Andy: If you read this perhaps you could get official clarification on upgrade price on board.

Hi Larry,

I will see if I can obtain an answer. Stay Tuned !