Beverage Package Price Increase On Board

pmfm

I wonder what date it is going up? Like, we are on the infinity on mon 30th with free classic package. We were planning to upgrade to premium on 3rd day (2nd oct) as first day we just arrived and 2nd day we are in Paris for the day. But if it is going up $5 a day pp from 1st oct for example we would be better off upgrading now for full 12 days.

In your case, if you do not wish to pay the increase, I'd make the purchase before your cruise.

From a consumer standpoint, I'm not pleased with the change... but it's pretty shrewd of Celebrity, as it's certainly going to motivate many guests to make the beverage package purchase in advance.

It looks like X has been reading the posts on here where the posters are telling everyone to wait until they get on board to make a decision about getting a package or upgrading.

Too much information be given out by the posters and not is being used against us.

.:D

From a consumer standpoint, I'm not pleased with the change... but it's pretty shrewd of Celebrity, as it's certainly going to motivate many guests to make the beverage package purchase in advance.

It certainly will. And that will also decrease the opportunity for using an OBC.

It looks like X has been reading the posts on here where the posters are telling everyone to wait until they get on board to make a decision about getting a package or upgrading.

Too much information be given out by the posters and not is being used against us.

Well, I was told by Celebrity in Miami last month that we could not upgrade until onboard. So, once again conflicting information.

Appears money upfront for them to hold and make some money on is the goal.

.:D

Meant to read too much information is being given by the posters and it is now being used against us.

Fat fingers on a IPad and spell check sometimes messes up the message. :D

In your case, if you do not wish to pay the increase, I'd make the purchase before your cruise.

Thank you host andy. I'll do it today. I agree, it completely makes sense to increase it for on board purchases although it's a little annoying right now!

I'm bummed. We have the 123 package. I like a better wine, DW is fine with the Classic. We can only both upgrade before the cruise. I was planning on upgrading just mine when we board. An additional $70, I may not. (14 day cruise). :(

Has anyone been able to upgrade just one person on the 123 before sailing?

I called celebrity today. I was told upgrading was only possible on the ship but she reckoned (and I hope she's right) that we would be charged the same difference. There is still a difference of $11.50 incl gratuity between classic and premium. I'm going to argue anyway that that should be the case esp as this is so new.

A lot of speculation here about the upgrade price. The various promotions that have offered the classic package as a perk have included wording in the fine print that specifically said it is upgradeable at $10/pp per day + the 15% gratuity by contacting Celebrity. I've also read a lot of posts here from cruisers who have called Celebrity and been told just to do the upgrade on board although I've not called them myself. Putting those two together I'd say the on board upgrade price should remain at $10/pp but if anyone is concerned I'd recommend calling Celebrity or your TA and specifically asking if you can still upgrade at that price on board.

Host Andy: If you read this perhaps you could get official clarification on upgrade price on board.

Too much information be given out by the posters and now is being used against us...

Well, I'm probably a prime culprit of that since I've always recommend that those unsure about the package to wait until they get on board to decide. The new price policy with a higher cost on board sure throws a wrench in that advice. I wonder if the decision was really motivated by that or if it is more of just a price increase - I guess we'll never know the answer to that one for sure.

Edited by Lsimon

I called celebrity today. I was told upgrading was only possible on the ship but she reckoned (and I hope she's right) that we would be charged the same difference. There is still a difference of $11.50 incl gratuity between classic and premium. I'm going to argue anyway that that should be the case esp as this is so new.

expecting a call from Celebrity any minute now to complete my booking, will get back to you all with an answer to that in a few minutes!

I am intending to purchase the Classic Package for my January 2014 cruise on Eclipse as there were no offers or freebies available on this when I booked. After reading this I thought I had better check out the situation on the UK website. Athough I will be invoiced in £GB, the information on the website is showing US$. This is what is on the UK website:

" Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5.75 per serving and spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $9.25 per serving. The Classic package also provides you with the chance to receive a discount of 20% on bottles of wine purchased.

$50.60 per guest, per day*

* Please note, this is the price for booking the package online in advance of your sailing. Prices for packages purchased on board will be at a higher amount. You can book online up until 4 days prior to your sail date."

I am not happy!! It is $44 daily for US customers and more than $6 more for customers from UK. Why should UK customers have to pay more for the same package??? I know that it must seem that we in UK are always moaning that we are treated differently, but this is one of the reasons why. They are not even trying to hide the difference as it is quoted in $ on the UK website and it is plain to see. And I expect that Celebrity also make some money from the exchange rate too. It is so wrong. I am so angry.

Are you in the UK or USA betterthanvegas as I had no bother today and the two ladies I spoke to about it were really helpful as this has just changed and the first lady went to check all her facts before she came back to speak to me. allison

I did ask that because online it said it was too late to make further purchases due to the proximity of the date of my cruise but they lady on the phone said it just wasn't possible on the phone. I asked at that stage if it was not possible because we were sailing so soon but she said that wasn't the reason.

My understanding is that once you are within four days of sailing, you can't do this over the phone.