Carnival out of NJ

JerseyshoreBruce

Carnival is leaving--Baltimore is trying to stir up business and attract a replacement. The state and city make $90 million a year off of the cruise industry.

To further the point. Carnival was extremely happy with Baltimore as a full time port. What made the situation untenable was the ECA taxing situation for low sulpher fuel.

How awesome would it be to have a port in AC :)

People could fly right into ACY and be in the city in 15 minutes

That would indeed be awesome. I wonder if Frank S. Farley Marina could be made to accommodate smaller cruise ships? Then people would not necessarily have to fly in to ACY, they could drive from all points around New Jersey (especially southern and central NJ) and also from PA, NY, DE, and MD. What a great idea.

I wish they would at least re-open the Philly terminal. Philly has an airport. If not that, bring another ship or two to NYC or keep one in Baltimore. I live in Jersey, on the shore too, and would love a couple more options within driving distance. Maybe it would cut down on the prices for the summer months.

Any cruise ship coming into Philly would have to be able to get under the Commodore Barry and Delaware Memorial Bridges. So, I guess that a lot of the newer (taller) ships would not be able to port there. But, it seems to me that there are enough ships small enough (short enough and that do not exceed the limit of draught for the Delaware River) to be able port in Philly provided there is enough interest from passengers to book from there. Given the population of the area and the cost and hassle of flying, it might be a viable option. But, only if the "powers that be" can justify the cost (in other words, if the port authority can make a profit). Would be nice.

Poi Yes I was nt Pleasant Beach area!considering Baltimore.....how nice is the Pride? Does it seem overcrowded? Long lines?

My parents, brother and aunts uncles and cousins live in Bay Head. Parents live on Twilight, 2nd street in from PP. DB lives on Bridge Avenue, all others on Lake Avenue. Still renovating from Sandy....:eek::(

Why doesn't Carnival cruise out of NJ? Are there anyother options besides Bayonne? Even by Cape May there must be some port that could hold a large cruiseship.

Cape May is hard to get in and out of just to eat.

Stick with Bayonne, and get on an RCCL ship. You will quickly discover where CCL STACKS WHEN YOU TRY A SECOND LINE.

Stick with Bayonne, and get on an RCCL ship. You will quickly discover where CCL STACKS WHEN YOU TRY A SECOND LINE.

Yawn.... Oh another royal is better post. Don't you get tired?

I'd be willing to make a trade. Jersey can have Carnival and we get Royal Caribbean here in NY.:D

Never happen, they both have long term contracts with their current homeports....your in for a ride across the river if you want to sail 6 flags of the seas

I would LOVE to see a cruise port outside Atlantic City.

On that note, I'd LOVE to see another airline compete against Spirit in Atlantic City for competitive fares. We travel to Florida a lot (have family there, daughter going to school there, etc.) and although we've mastered traveling light (whatever fits under the seat in front of you) and waiting until 24-hours before to get a free assigned seat, I can't complain about Spirit. I signed up for their MasterCard and get 2x points. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a ticket. With only 2,500 points for a 1 way fare, we have been able to fly free for a few years now (in September, mid October, early November, early December, January, early February, late April and early May - summer fares cost more). NO Newark or Philadelphia airport hassle, been able to park and walk a few steps to security, then onto the plane - it's like having the airport all to ourselves. Since Spirit flies to 4 major cities in Florida, we have been able to fly into one city for free and if I can't get a return from that city for free, we drive to another and fly out of there, with no drop off fees for car rentals.

On that note, I'd LOVE to see another airline compete against Spirit in Atlantic City for competitive fares. We travel to Florida a lot (have family there, daughter going to school there, etc.) and although we've mastered traveling light (whatever fits under the seat in front of you) and waiting until 24-hours before to get a free assigned seat, I can't complain about Spirit. I signed up for their MasterCard and get 2x points. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a ticket. With only 2,500 points for a 1 way fare, we have been able to fly free for a few years now (in September, mid October, early November, early December, January, early February, late April and early May - summer fares cost more). NO Newark or Philadelphia airport hassle, been able to park and walk a few steps to security, then onto the plane - it's like having the airport all to ourselves. Since Spirit flies to 4 major cities in Florida, we have been able to fly into one city for free and if I can't get a return from that city for free, we drive to another and fly out of there, with no drop off fees for car rentals.

Do they have a cruise port in Atlantic City?

A port out of NJ or surrounding areas would be a nice option if there could somehow be a way for it to work. That’s the point. In addition to – not instead of. At least that’s the way I took the thread. Bayonne is an option, but not by much. At least for the time of year I choose to cruise. July 2014 has two sailing dates for one ship. August 2014 has three sailing dates. One ship. OP is proposing options. To that end I also agree that it would be nice to have another airline out of Atlantic City. That airport is so easy and convenient flying in and out of.

Not every thread needs to morph into Carnival versus another line.

A port out of NJ or surrounding areas would be a nice option if there could somehow be a way for it to work. That’s the point. In addition to – not instead of. At least that’s the way I took the thread. Bayonne is an option, but not by much. At least for the time of year I choose to cruise. July 2014 has two sailing dates for one ship. August 2014 has three sailing dates. One ship. OP is proposing options. To that end I also agree that it would be nice to have another airline out of Atlantic City. That airport is so easy and convenient flying in and out of.

To some people here (they are easy to spot BTW) they think that is their main purpose. Lets make every them be a us vs them with the ultimate goal of geting a thread locked down.

Adding additional homeports in an area where they have limited cruise port options (and weather restrictions during parts of the year) is the problem.

RCCL and Celebrity -- Bayonne port

No other line can operate out of Bayonne due to this situation.

Carnival and NCL signed a 10-year agreement with NYC to upgrade their facilities and remain in NYC.

As the ships continue to get larger, it limits the ports that can accommodate them.

World Yacht and Circle Line would probably be as large a ship that could sail out of AC. For a cruise line, they prefer more passengers on a sailing to cover their expenses.

MARAPRINCE

Spirit is a joke BUT the only game in town so they bang us with all those fees because they can. Our $9 fare club winds up costing us usually in the $500 range for two of us picking our seats and paying for our bags online.For us its worth it to not drive to Philly and pay to park for the week (or 2).Its so easy we call a taxi for 5:30am at 6 were sitting at the bar having a bloody mary and about 9am we are in Fort Lauderdale

Spirit is a joke BUT the only game in town so they bang us with all those fees because they can. Our $9 fare club winds up costing us usually in the $500 range for two of us picking our seats and paying for our bags online.For us its worth it to not drive to Philly and pay to park for the week (or 2).Its so easy we call a taxi for 5:30am at 6 were sitting at the bar having a bloody mary and about 9am we are in Fort Lauderdale

Driving to Philly doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal. It's only an hour away from Atlantic City. Yes, you'd have to pay to park, but if you fly Southwest you wouldn't have baggage fees so that would even out.

Maybe the traffic is awful so my 1 hour drive would never happen in reality, I don't know.

Driving to Philly doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal. It's only an hour away from Atlantic City. Yes, you'd have to pay to park, but if you fly Southwest you wouldn't have baggage fees so that would even out.

Maybe the traffic is awful so my 1 hour drive would never happen in reality, I don't know.

Its really not that bad of a drive but we would rather take a short taxi and no lines for anything .Its stress free travel for us.

No having to park and lug our bags to the shuttle and find our terminal

We pull up pay our taxi and print our tickets and a few minutes later we are checked in waiting at the bar for our flight having breakfast and a beverage

Archived