Insignia question

ICUQT

This is a question for all you Oceania regular cruisers who have a lot more knowledge than me. A little background first. My wife and I have done many cruises on another cruise line. This is our first time at trying another cruise line and to see if there is a different cruising experience to be offered. We are not disgruntled customers “jumping ship” for another. For the most part we have only good experiences and any complaints have been minor. But we recognize the Cruise Industry has been changing over the last couple of years or so and I really don’t want to get into that here. My question is about Insignia. When I was researching Oceania this past July I noticed the itineraries of the various ships in the fleet. It led me to calling and speaking to a consultant who said she would call me back for the particular time frame I was looking for. In the meantime I started looking at other cruises and ran across Engaging Harbors departing on September 20, 2014. I think it has a great itinerary and we booked it. I now understand (well I think I do…lol) why there is not that much chatter on the board concerning Insignia compared to the other ships of the fleet. My guess is because of it being leased out part of the year as the Columbus II. That said my question is will we encounter the full Oceania experience or will it be something different if I first sail Insignia?

bob

The Insignia was leased to Hapag Lloyd for a couple of years (or so) and when she returns to Oceania, she will "serviced" and then she be just like the other R ships of Oceania are. There will be no differences that I am aware of.

Regarding what happens at the end of the lese copied from an ealier post -

Oceania Cruises will invest $50 million to upgrade three of its small cruise ships during a six-week dry dock next year that will see the suites, staterooms and most public rooms transformed.

The refurbishments to Regatta, Insignia and Nautica will include completely new bathrooms in the ships' Owner's and Vista suites, as well as an overhaul of the casual dining venue the Terrace Cafe and the addition of the Baristas coffee bar.

Additionally, the ships' only indoor smoking areas will be completely enclosed and an air filtration system added. The ships' restaurants, the Grand Dining Room and Toscana, will be expanded with more tables for two. And the Canyon Ranch SpaClubs will receive new steam and changing rooms.

"We are excited by the opportunity to bring some of the best features of our O-class ships to Regatta, Insignia and Nautica," Kunal S. Kamlani, president of Oceania Cruises said in a statement announcing the changes.

The dry docks are scheduled for April 24 to June 6, 2014, with Insignia and Nautica being refurbished in Marseilles, France, and Regatta in Vancouver, Canada. Insignia will debut May 8, 2014 in Barcelona, its first sailing for Oceania after a two-year charter. Nautica will return to service May 16 in Civitavecchia and Regatta will return from dry dock June 7 from Vancouver.

As a P.S., I don't think the OP should be concerned that they won't enjoy a typical Oceania experience if they are on Insignia.

We've had cruises on all three "R" ships as well as Marina (no Riviera trips yet) but they've all been VERY similar in terms of accommodations, food, etc.

Cabins on all three "R" ships have always looked alike and I'm sure they still will after the upgrades. (Okay, they may redecorate on this go-around but you still won't see a difference from one ship to another.)

Mura

Hope you don't mind me jumping on here, but I have a related question. We heard that Insignia and Regatta will be getting grills similar to the one on Marina on the Terrace. Can I assume that this is part of the overhaul of the Terrace dining area? We love the grill on Marina, and love eating on the Terrace on all of O's ships.

We're very happy that Insignia is coming back early, as there is a new itinerary that fits us perfectly (Lisbon to Barcelona, with stops in Canary Islands and Gibraltar in addition to stops in Portugal and Spain).

Hope you don't mind me jumping on here, but I have a related question. We heard that Insignia and Regatta will be getting grills similar to the one on Marina on the Terrace. Can I assume that this is part of the overhaul of the Terrace dining area? We love the grill on Marina, and love eating on the Terrace on all of O's ships.

We're very happy that Insignia is coming back early, as there is a new itinerary that fits us perfectly (Lisbon to Barcelona, with stops in Canary Islands and Gibraltar in addition to stops in Portugal and Spain).

Yes the R-Ships are getting the grill like on the O class ships as well as Barristas

Check the Aug 5th announcement

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

I not sure why you think the Insignia is returning earlier but she was scheduled to return April 2014 & so looks like she will be ontime

Archived