Sky Dry Dock 2013

smiles998

I am sailing on the Sky 4 days in Feb. with friends and am curious to know what changes they are making ........ we love the Spirit and also wonder if there are any similarities in the 2 ships. Can't wait for our cruise! This will be my 5th with NCL ...........

I am sailing on the Sky 4 days in Feb. with friends and am curious to know what changes they are making ........ we love the Spirit and also wonder if there are any similarities in the 2 ships. Can't wait for our cruise! This will be my 5th with NCL ...........

The Sun and Sky are very similar. The Spirit is fairly unique.

I know I should google it, but what is a "lavazza" machine? Sounds like it might be yummy :)

Lavazza machine is an apparatus producing regular coffee/espresso/tea from pods and found in pretty much all suites onboard NCL ships (some exceptions apply).

How long is the dry dock? That should tell you something with how much will be done. Sky has been updated twice already. I have heard rumors of adding a Moderno and other things. I would love to see the Sky revamped top to bottom. But I am guessing just new carpet and new TV's and maybe a new restaurant.

How long is the dry dock? That should tell you something with how much will be done. Sky has been updated twice already. I have heard rumors of adding a Moderno and other things. I would love to see the Sky revamped top to bottom. But I am guessing just new carpet and new TV's and maybe a new restaurant.

I heard from someone onboard recently just before dry dock that they were going to add refrigerators to the rooms but I'm not sure which rooms are getting them and that carpeting was going to be done. I wholeheartedly agree with you about the ship needing a top to bottom refinishing. She was just out of dry dock and still owned by Genting Hong Kong when I sailed on her and she needed a lot of work then. :(

NCL has the incentive now to do a thorough refurbishment now as she not being leased from Genting - Star Cruises like in her past as mentioned in a previous post. She was up for sale during NCL's lease and NCL was prudent to purchase her to stay as a player in the lucrative short cruise market. I would look for at least a change in her dated outside Hawaiian themed hull decals from her ill-fated Pride of Aloha past.

Edited by coaster

New carpeting, flat panel televisions and Moderno. Also, from a poster back in the summer - "The captain in January said they were getting some bridge upgrades that would make things better for the bridge crew in terms of console layouts as well as the ability to go totally paperless (they still have to carry paper charts on the Sky). He also mentioned they would be updating things through the rest of the ship in the passenger areas, but I don't remember what all was on the list."

There's very little similarities in the way these two ships were built. But there will be many similarities with the services provided on these two ships.

Anyone know what we can expect to see?

I think you're going to be the one to report back here and tell us what you see. If she's sailing on Monday then you're likely to not find out until Friday when that cruise returns but by then you're going to be at the cruise port already. Just sit back and relax... you're about to be on vacation! :D:D

Hi everyone! Stumbled across this thread today and glad that I did! I've been on the Sky several times and it's always been fun but I agree she needs a lot of work. With only two weeks I won't expect much different.

I'm bringing a friend in January for her first NCL sailing and hoping that it won't disappoint her and leave her with a less than favorable impression of NCL.

I look forward to hearing about the Sky's refurbishment reviews!

I think you're back from your trip now... what news do you have for us? :D

Has she sailed yet? Her signature line has a countdown that says she leaves on 10/18. Or am I looking at the wrong person's?

I'm excited to hear about the updates!

I do know one thing that the Sky got in Dry Dock (well, actually coming out of Dry Dock) that is probably going to get glossed over...

They received a score of 100 on their USPH Inspection! That is a great score on its own, but even more impressive coming out of a Dry Dock environment.

Kudos to the Sky's crew!