Dress Code Question

Huxley'sCruisers

Can a man wear a nice dress shirt' date=' pants, and tie without a jacket?[/b']

Same answer as last week when you asked this question. You may be denied entry without a jacket or you may be given a jacket to wear. Depends on who is at the door. It is your choice to make.

Is it really true that people don't know the meaning of the word formal? There are options available for those who don't care to dress on Formal Nights. Dining in the main dining room is not one of them.

It's very simple. Decide what's important to you and then choose to abide by the dress code or make other arrangements for the evening.

YES, it is! I'm not saying it is an excuse for violating the dress code, but some people (like the poster who mentioned the collared shirt and a sweater) are at least attempting to blend in. Perhaps I have too many other things to worry about on vacation but someone attempting to blend in is better than someone blatantly ignoring the code in humble opinion.

Glad to see nothing changes on the Celebrity boards, another dress code fight/debate/argument/discussion.

:):)

Here's a slightly different formal clothes question.

A guayabera (shirt) is considered formal dress in many countries, particularly in the tropics. Obviously, one does not wear a jacket with one of these. If one were to choose to wear a guayabera as formal dress, particularly an elegant long sleeved french cuff one with tasteful cuff links, would that likely pass muster? Has anyone seen this on Celebrity?

You asked this question of Ma Bell who asked the reasonable question whether people don't know what formal means? Jackdiamond responded to your question quickly that a guayabera didn't meet Celebrity's dress code.

These are two very esteemed and long-timed Cruise Critic members. In my opinion, however, the problem is one of Celebrity's making. They don't really want to define "Formal" and introduce ambiguity in writing and in enforcement on the ships.

Let's look at what Celebrity says about it in writing:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

My first comment: For Gentlemen, that's not formal. A suit is semi-formal, not formal.

My second comment: The list is not exclusive. It says "'Formal' attire includes" [emphasis added].

My third comment: dinner jacket with slacks is confusing to Americans who think it means the same thing as a sports coat or a blazer when in reality it is Britishism for a Tuxedo jacket.

My point here is that I actually think that a kilt, military mess dress, a guayabera shirt, or other traditional formal attire not specifically mentioned in the "includes" part of the code is permitted by Celebrity's written dress code. My reading of it is that it requires "Formal" -- which a guayabera shirt is -- and then it permits semi-formal like a suit for those low-class-people-like me who don't want to wear actual formal attire ;).

But, and here's the rub, I'm confident that I can walk into the MDR in a suit and tie -- even if the suit is a lime green and orange plaid number that only Herb Tarlak would buy -- without being questioned. I would be less certain of being politely questioned (and it would be polite) if I were wearing a guayabera.

Thus, I wear a suit -- because it's specifically permitted and I'm a rule follower -- until Celebrity inevitably dumps the "Formal" dress code altogether.

We have only (in recent years) cruised on NCL' date=' so the dress code is new for us. We are going on a 13-night Adriatic cruise at the end of the month, and I'm trying to plan. Here is the dress code per Celebrity's website:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

My questions are: If gentlemen's shirts "must have sleeves" does that mean they cannot wear short-sleeved polo shirts in the evening to dinner? They must be in a "dress shirt" or long-sleeved sweater? Or does it just mean no "tank tops"? Can women wear sleeveless dresses or blouses?

On designated formal nights, if we are not in cocktail dresses or dressy pantsuits (but are still nicely dressed - my mom almost never dresses up and really doesn't own a single dress!), and men are in suits without ties or nice khakis with a blazer, will be we allowed in the MDR? Also, how does the policy apply with children (we are traveling with 2 young girls)? Can they wear "playdresses" or must they be in fancier clothes?

Many thanks![/quote']

If you have read Celebrity's dress code then I think you will agree it is pretty straight forward. We have seen some pretty sad sights in the MDR so whether someone is refused seating or not would be up to the maître d'. Enjoy your cruise.

My first comment: For Gentlemen, that's not formal. A suit is semi-formal, not formal.
The tuxedo is an American fashion invention, in many parts of the world formal wear is an appropriate suit, not a tuxedo. Apparently, Celebrity chooses to recognize that in its dress code.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Mark_K

The tuxedo is an American fashion invention, in many parts of the world formal wear is an appropriate suit, not a tuxedo. Apparently, Celebrity chooses to recognize that in its dress code.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While the name "tuxedo" is American, it is not an American invention. We can thank (or blame) the British royal family for the fashion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuxedo

And while I don't consider Wikipedia to be a definitive source, I don't see any country where a suit is traditionally considered to be "formal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_wear

My point is that Celebrity can choose whatever dress code it wants. It has chosen to be imprecise and then chosen again to fail to enforce its policy. I choose to follow the policy by wearing a suit. In my experience, compliance with the dress code on Celebrity ships is very high, though actual Tuxedos are now in a declining minority (5-20%).

You asked this question of Ma Bell who asked the reasonable question whether people don't know what formal means? Jackdiamond responded to your question quickly that a guayabera didn't meet Celebrity's dress code.

These are two very esteemed and long-timed Cruise Critic members. In my opinion, however, the problem is one of Celebrity's making. They don't really want to define "Formal" and introduce ambiguity in writing and in enforcement on the ships.

Let's look at what Celebrity says about it in writing:

My second comment: The list is not exclusive. It says "'Formal' attire includes" [emphasis added].

My third comment: dinner jacket with slacks is confusing to Americans who think it means the same thing as a sports coat or a blazer when in reality it is Britishism for a Tuxedo jacket.

My point here is that I actually think that a kilt, military mess dress, a guayabera shirt, or other traditional formal attire not specifically mentioned in the "includes" part of the code is permitted by Celebrity's written dress code. My reading of it is that it requires "Formal" -- which a guayabera shirt is -- and then it permits semi-formal like a suit for those low-class-people-like me who don't want to wear actual formal attire ;).

But, and here's the rub, I'm confident that I can walk into the MDR in a suit and tie -- even if the suit is a lime green and orange plaid number that only Herb Tarlak would buy -- without being questioned. I would be less certain of being politely questioned (and it would be polite) if I were wearing a guayabera.

Thus, I wear a suit -- because it's specifically permitted and I'm a rule follower -- until Celebrity inevitably dumps the "Formal" dress code altogether.

Problem is where do the exceptions stop and I'll give an example. A couple of years ago someone on this board stated he wanted to wear his hat, dungarees, boots and whatever shirt to formal dinners because he was from Texas and that is formal there.

Also, did recently see someone in the dining room in a leisure suit. That was funny...

Edited by dkjretired

Problem is where do the exceptions stop and I'll give an example. A couple of years ago someone on this board stated he wanted to wear his hat, dungarees, boots and whatever shirt to formal dinners because he was from Texas and that is formal there.

Also, did recently see someone in the dining room in a leisure suit. That was funny...

The example you cited is not an exception, it's someone who is lying, trying to game the system, and ain't from Texas. As Ma Bell stated, people do know - within limits - what formal is and isn't. I say they aren't from Texas because no one from Texas has EVER used the word "dungarees." ;)

Without judgement, I find it interesting that these never-ending battles rage on at Celebrity, while such upscale lines as Azamara, Oceania and others have no formal nights. Seabourn has an interesting approach with its Formal Optional Nights: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days.

Really, at the end of the day who really cares? It is a discussion about nothing.

Very few cruisers read this forum. I doubt very much whether those that do will change their opinion or dress simply because of someone else's post on this board.

It is a revolving door argument that will never end.

Really, at the end of the day who really cares? It is a discussion about nothing.

Very few cruisers read this forum. I doubt very much whether those that do will change their opinion or dress simply because of someone else's post on this board.

It is a revolving door argument that will never end.

Judging by the number of times this subject comes up, the length of the threads, the number of contributors and some of the heated posts, I'd say that there are a lot of people who care. Besides, you don't get never-ending arguments when people don't care. Just sayin'.....

Judging by the number of times this subject comes up, the length of the threads, the number of contributors and some of the heated posts, I'd say that there are a lot of people who care. Besides, you don't get never-ending arguments when people don't care. Just sayin'.....

And it should be pointed out that someone started the thread and asked a question. Many posters are just trying to answer the question which the last I saw was the purpose of this board.

The example you cited is not an exception, it's someone who is lying, trying to game the system, and ain't from Texas. As Ma Bell stated, people do know - within limits - what formal is and isn't. I say they aren't from Texas because no one from Texas has EVER used the word "dungarees." ;)

Dungarees was me, sorry

True!

High percent of travelers never read or post on travel websites.

Nor do they follow the cruise line dress code.

You obviously have not been on too many Celebrity cruises....Your second sentence is so patently false as far as Celebrity goes.... No further comments from me based upon your last couple of posts...

Edited by dkjretired

Formal wear has become less formal with airline weight restrictions for luggage. If you are driving to a cruise port it is easier to bring formal wear.

For my husband we just rent a tuxedo through an online service that delivers to the ship thus avoiding the issue for him. The rental is relatively inexpensive so worry free.

Formal wear for me tends to dressy black slacks or a skirt with a dressy top. I always wear the same outfit twice on a 2 week trip with 3 formal nights. After all --- who remembers or even cares what anyone else is wearing?

My husband actually likes the formal nights more than I do because all he packs is an extra bowtie & his formal shoes since he has never been able to bet the correct sized shoe regardless of the order.

True!

High percent of travelers never read or post on travel websites.

Nor do they follow the cruise line dress code.

On the contrary, most people follow the dress code on Celebrity. There are always a few who don't, but the great majority do. I wouldn't comment on many of the other cruise lines since my experience on them is limited or not current.

Edited by Ma Bell

We just returned from the Summit yesterday. We did not pack a jacket for formal night for our hubbies not expecting to go to the MDR on those nights. We learned that we could ask to borrow a jacket at our concierge since we decided we would like to go after all on one of them. However, it was so disappointing to see at least 10-15 guys dining without jackets. Some even had jeans and casual shirts. We fully respect any dress code, and we wish that Celebrity would enforce it.

We just returned from the Summit yesterday. We did not pack a jacket for formal night for our hubbies not expecting to go to the MDR on those nights. We learned that we could ask to borrow a jacket at our concierge since we decided we would like to go after all on one of them. However, it was so disappointing to see at least 10-15 guys dining without jackets. Some even had jeans and casual shirts. We fully respect any dress code, and we wish that Celebrity would enforce it.

Amen.

On the contrary, most people follow the dress code on Celebrity. There are always a few who don't, but the great majority do. I wouldn't comment on many of the other cruise lines since my experience on them is limited or not current.

Most people dress accordingly for dinner doesn't matter which cruise line..... ;)

Nice outfits, hair done, showered, make-up if your a lady, etc....

However, there are a few that just don't care. :cool::rolleyes:

I gather you DH was ok (comfortable) not having a jacket when he saw others without.

May I ask if a blazer over a dress shirt for a guy enough?

While there may not be total acceptance among all passengers or readers here, a blazer, dress shirt, tie and dress pants are generally viewed as meeting the current dress rules.

Just off the Solstice (B2B) and most people dressed for dinner and adhered to the dress codes. Some had no jackets but were still well dressed but they did not affect my dinner experience one bit.:D

I brought a jacket, which serves both the purpose of me adhering to the dress code and also allows me to be chivalrous by giving it to wife to wear it if she gets cooler later in the night when strolling after dinner.:D