HAL vs. Princess, 13 day one way Van to ank w denali

jbinbi

OK. I have pretty much found the same identical cruise, 13 days, one way from Vancouver to Ank, with 3 days in denali, mckinnley, ending at fairbanks, then going from ank to seward to glacier bay to skagway, junuea, ketch , vancouver.

Princess : coral or island princess

HAL :Osterdam

Goal of cruise is to have the cruise and see the sights in Denali.

Both are within $200 of each other so the cost isn't an issue. Both are around June 1, and both can have cruise or land first.

Anyone here do either of these and have plus / minus to say why or why not they would or wouldn't use one line?

thanks.

These are NOT the same. HAL has Seward, and if you wish to take advantage, it has a lot of touring opportunities. Princess goes to Whittier, and likely no opportunity to include a Prince William Sound boat tour. Princess also has two glaciers in their itineraries, HAL usually does not. You have the Kenai Princess in the Princess itinerary?

Cruise tours, do not give you "3 days in Denali". You get 1 actual full day, other two will involve transits from distances away. The KEY here is getting INTO the park. IF Princess has included the NHT, you won't be. But, in the past, Princess was the winner, because they refund this portion of cruise tours. Then you would need to decide HOW you wish to proceed? If you can make arrangements yourself, then Eielson Shuttle bus, offers you more than either tour.

If you want the details on how different your choices are, then you need to copy and post them. Otherwise, have you determined, these included location stops are WHERE you want to be? Are you adding time in Fairbanks- a few extra days, are certainly very worthwhile, since cruisetours see little of Fairbanks. A car rental is "necessary" in my opinion.

BQ, first off, thanks for your answers to all my posts. Really appreciated.

I am away from the details, but will post up later. The Denali part allows me to pick which tour, and they offer more than the NHT, both seem to offer going to mile 53, and one offers going to mile 91, a 14 hr tour. More to come later. Thanks.

BQ, first off, thanks for your answers to all my posts. Really appreciated.

I am away from the details, but will post up later. The Denali part allows me to pick which tour, and they offer more than the NHT, both seem to offer going to mile 53, and one offers going to mile 91, a 14 hr tour. More to come later. Thanks.

There is more to Denali choices then what you have listed- which are the most costly access.

more details for you http://www.nps.gov/dena look at the shuttle buses.

The Denali part allows me to pick which tour, and they offer more than the NHT, both seem to offer going to mile 53, and one offers going to mile 91, a 14 hr tour. More to come later. Thanks.

The Denali reservation site also has lots of info on the shuttle and buses.

This link will open to a map of the park road so you can see the popular stopping points. Then select whichever shuttle destination you're interested in:

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

To read about each of the Tours, click on the title PLAY.

OK. here are itinerary

day hal princess

--- --- --------

1 fairbanks fairbanks

2 denali denali

3 denali denali

4 denali denali (says NHT, but assuming I can take something else)

5 ank denali/mckinley

6 seward mckinley /whittier

7 at sea at sea

8 glacier bay glacier bay

9 haines/skagway skagway

10 juneau juneau

11 ketchikan ketchikan

12 sea sea

13 vanc vanc

Princess is a 14 day trip, they have you in for 2 nights, though I can do that myself for HAL.

I guess the bigger question is who has more excursions in Denali, haines, skagway, etc.?

Days 5 and 6 don't work.

Perhaps you could post each itinerary separately, and also include the mode of transportation each day.

As for Day 4, they probably suggest the NHT because you would be leaving the park at noon and that's all you have time for. However it appears that you have all of Day 3 in Denali so it makes sense to book a shuttle into the park on that day.

I believe you said your travel dates for Denali would be early June? I don't believe the full park road is open until June 8th. I'd check the website when it's back up.

Eielson opens June 1, Wonder Lake June 8- which few cruise tour people even consider. :)

OK. here are itinerary

day hal princess

--- --- --------

1 fairbanks fairbanks

2 denali denali

3 denali denali

4 denali denali (says NHT, but assuming I can take something else)

5 ank denali/mckinley

6 seward mckinley /whittier

7 at sea at sea

8 glacier bay glacier bay

9 haines/skagway skagway

10 juneau juneau

11 ketchikan ketchikan

12 sea sea

13 vanc vanc

Princess is a 14 day trip, they have you in for 2 nights, though I can do that myself for HAL.

I guess the bigger question is who has more excursions in Denali, haines, skagway, etc.?

Sorry, from what you have posted, this isn't a good itinerary, only 1 night at the Kenai Princess? Pretty worthless. do you want time at the McKinley Lodge? Do you have plans for activities you want to include?

Frankly, I suggest you find out how YOU want to occupy your time, then look at options for going there, not the other way around. You can do a lot in 7 days with good plans and being in the areas of interest to you. Not wasting time at "stops" that just eat up valuable time. My opinion.

Archived