No towel animals this week

TNIris

Yup, you are there is a new chogging thread started just today :p

As for towel animals i am guilty of being one of those that save them for the whole cruise LOL :D

Any idea what forum it's in? I just love reading them for some reason.....will have to get more popcorn and check mix ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got onboard FOS, and there is a letter on our bed saying they gave the towel animal people the week off.

SERIOUSLY?!???

It says "the terrycloth crew is on vacation this week due to limited access to their onboard bath areas".

Whatever that means!!!

We were on the 9/29/ sailing of Freedom and had the same message. This was the first time that I've ever NOT had at least ONE towel animal. "Terrycloth crew on vacation....."????? Really?

Have a friend who was on Grandeur last week and complained about not getting a towel animal every night, even though she specifically told her steward she wanted them.

Sounds to me like RCI is trying to phase them out and floating the little notes to see how much push-back they get.

It would be one less thing for the overworked stewards to do, and they'd probably be thrilled to drop it from the to-do list.

But that doesn't mean RCI would have to stop holding classes to teach passengers to make their own animals. And if they just placed a few animals randomly in public areas around the ship and told passengers to try and spot them, just imagine what big celebrities those animals would become! :)

Karen

Apparently it's a cover-up for a job action:

Nearly 4,000 towel animals from Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas walked off the job at midnight on Saturday. According to the union representing the towel animals, UTA Local 50, contract talks between RCI, Freedom of the Seas' parent company, and the UTA have become stagnant, with the two sides far apart on many key issues. Chief among those issues are the cutbacks in hours worked, double duty as hand and wash clothes, and the switch to lower grade detergents. Negotiations began in January of this year. Union officials say RCI is out of touch with the cruise industry's booming economy and the company needs to adapt to remain competitive and maintain quality and safety levels. Freedom of the Seas will continue sailing throughout the strike but without those little terry cloth cuties. Management has asked the UDLA (United Dining Linen Animals) to fill the roles during the job action but UDLA representatives were skeptical of the plan.

Hi Big G,

Awesome, was on the Allure last year and we only got 2 Towel Animals, Not like Carnival were you get one every night and they even had a class on how to do them. they even had a book that you could buy so you can learn how to them at home.

Wendy

I have to admit that I have not read the posts, but don't whine about no towel animals, because you at least had towels. I figure by next year, someone in corporate will figure out that costs can be cut further by having people pack their own. 'they're always looking for new ways to save money - heck they've saved thousands by having us print up our own sea passes, luggage tags, and supply our own pens, etc.

Next, they'll have us bring our own bedding.

Thank you for your nice words!

We DID have a pretty good cruise, and I was VERY grateful for the nice ceremony RCI provided us with in order to have the burial at sea.

I would have rather found out about the towel animals later on, like that night or the next day, instead of walking into our room right away and finding that letter. :rolleyes:

Never did read the brochure they left to find out how to make our own towel animals, though! :D

Sorry for your loss and expect the burial at sea service was handled well.

Karen

We were on Freedom 10/13-10/20 and also did not have towel animals. We asked our suite attendant about it and he said they had one washer down and until they were back up to full capacity, there would be no towel animals because people tend to save them all week, then it increases laundry load at the end of the cruise. We said we understood but asked if he would please make us a couple from our existing supply of towels if we promised to use the towels and not save them. He said (and I quote) "I'll have to ask my supervisor". No towel animals ever appeared.

One related note, the "washer down" issue also caused them to not offer the "fill a bag of laundry for $25" offer. No notice, no explanation until we asked (on day 4) what day it would be offered.

The no laundry mid cruise could cause some trouble. I try to pack light and count on getting some essentials done along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived