Why us a TA?

Over our 21 years of cruising we have booked direct as well s used a TA. For the past 10-15 years it has been with a TA. We use her because she knows us well and understands our cruising preferences, and has a strong relationship with RCI. She does everything for us from searching best rates (which we do as well and she coordinates the booking), handling our deposit, checking proactively for price changes and upgrade opportunities.

She also prepares all of our documentation, handles dinner choices, and does the on-line check in for us. Basically we just tell her what we want and wait for the documents to arrive - she does everything in between. If there ever is an issue with RCI she resolves it. We appreciate that level of service.

Using a TA or not using one is up to the individual and there are likely many reasons to us or not to us one. It just works well for us.

LOL, only your name has to be spelt correctly!;)

I use a TA for itineraries that require a lot of coordination, private tours and connections. I use an excellent TA who specializes in the destination. Most folks use a TA for cruises because the larger ones can offer an OBC or other "goodies" such as spa credit, dining credit, tote bags etc etc. Of course if you want to make changes or requests or get price drops honored, you have to make sure your TA is responsive (Royal will only talk to them, not you, once you book with a TA) A good TA will respond to you quickly and help sort out problems; some only want to be a booking agent- provide you with your perks and not have to hear from you again till you're ready to book the next one. Make sure you don't get one of those;)

BTW - our TA also does not charge any extra fees for booking, modifying, or canceling a cruise - which will occur with us from time to time in rescheduling a cruise, changing a stateroom, adding / subtracting passengers, etc.

I would avoid any TA that charges anything for any of their services outside of that ordinarily charged directly by the cruise lines (such as for cancelling or changing after final payment).

I'm curious as to why people use a TA?

With many TAs, you can get discounts in the form of OBC, prepaid gratuities and/or trip insurance (among other ways of offering perks). Also, they will be your advocate with the cruise line. For some this is an asset; others prefer to deal directly with RCI. (That would be a down side for some in that, if you use a TA, you have to go through to TA to make any changes.)

BTW - our TA also does not charge any extra fees for booking, modifying, or canceling a cruise - which will occur with us from time to time in rescheduling a cruise, changing a stateroom, adding / subtracting passengers, etc.

I would avoid any TA that charges anything for any of their services outside of that ordinarily charged directly by the cruise lines (such as for cancelling or changing after final payment).

Ditto! Be sure you know what their charges are before using one. I am another vote for the OBC & other perks. I book direct then have him do the legwork to transfer the booking (within 60 days) and give me my goodies :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Ive never found a good reason to use one myself. I hear people say something about prepaid gratuities, loads of OBC and all sorts of perks. I dont know where they are looking.

Best I can find is a bottle of wine of free specialty dining etc. Not worth giving up control of my booking for that.

Ive never found a good reason to use one myself. I hear people say something about prepaid gratuities, loads of OBC and all sorts of perks. I dont know where they are looking.

Best I can find is a bottle of wine of free specialty dining etc. Not worth giving up control of my booking for that.

Been on 65 cruises and never needed control of my booking. My TA automatically reprices our cruise if the price drops. I don't care about OBC, perks, or gifts, but I do like the personal service I receive, plus the commissions come to my community.

I would never NOT use a TA....why not use her free service. We also book a lot of All Inclusive Resorts and Europe trips. Heck, I also us a Dentist...going tomorrow for my check up.;)

Love our TA. Hope he never retires...lol

He is our advocate for us and one time I have had issues on board and he handled it for us.

Price drops: he monitors them daily...always always takes them off our invoice....some agents don't...

OBC: love it when it is extra

Other goodies sometimes...

Never have ever had a problem. While I realize many others have had issues using one....ours works for us....and has taken care of many of our referrals...our family and friends love ours...

You aren't looking very hard if that is all you are being offered. Royal has a locate a travel agent page on their website. They are all professionals.

TAs are also very useful for marshalling groups. Got a reunion or a celebration you want to hold on a cruise? The TA makes up a group booking, individuals and pairs can be just directed to the TA, all the billing and financial stuff happens separately, but a lot of other things, like all sitting together at dinner, just kind of come as part of the deal.

I booked our upcoming cruise thru an online TA just for the perks - free prepaid gratuities, free dinner for two in specialty restaurant, and unlimited soda package for my kids. I could have gone thru Royal directly as I already knew the sailing, cabin, etc that I wanted, but for the same price, I got a lot free that I normally would have spent my own money on anyhow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I use an online TA for one reason only-perks. I don't ask for advice because I do my own research. I don't require service after the booking cause I am low maintenance. On a recent 11 night booking I got prepaid grats 175 obc 2 specialty dinners and a 100 spa certificate. That is why I use them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Archived