News from Ventura

davecttr

Just returned from Ventura and a couple of interesting changes to report.

From today Saffron restaurant is offering freedom dining in addition to Cinnamon. Bay Tree will continue to be club dining.

Silver service has been dropped and the meals will now be plated. i do not know if this applies to all dining rooms or just the freedom ones.

Good news on both counts

Both Saffron and Cinnamon were originally planned as freedom dining but this was changed before she was introduced, leaving freedom dining oversubscribed on most cruises. This should redress the balance. As alternative dining options increase I expect to see club dining discontinued eventually.

I personally prefer plated service of meals rather than being sat waiting for additional vegetables. Cunard, Celebrity, Princess etc all use plated service, nice to see P&Ojoining them.

Please spare a thought for those of us who enjoy Club Dining - so I hope it is not discontinued any time soon. We have had some enjoyable evenings getting to know our table companions and have no wish to dine with different people each evening. There should continue to be choice so those passengers who want Freedom Dining can choose that and those of us who like Club Dining can choose that option.

One of my favourite sunning areas has been 'loungerated' :(

There used to be seats up on the sun deck outside the spa. These have been replaced by loungers of which there are less and they block access along the deck. Another example of the HQ 'planners' not realising or caring that a LOT of cruisers would prefer a chair to a lounger. Plus you can get a lot more chairs in the same space as loungers.

They have replaced the blue 'in-cabin' ring bound cruise information folders with a fancy colourful A4 magazine style job with articles and piccies in it etc. Methinks they will lose an awful lot of them! The announcement of the change did contain a plea not to take them home :D

Hi Dave,

Great cruise wasn't it? We prefer freedom dining but it was sold out when we booked so had table for 2 on 1st sitting. Food was excellent as was service.

Sue

Scorching eh!, especially Lisbon.

the waiters told us that the change to freedom means they now serve from the right rather than the left. Dinner tonight could be interesting ;)

Scorching eh!, especially Lisbon.

the waiters told us that the change to freedom means they now serve from the right rather than the left. Dinner tonight could be interesting ;)

Why change from which side they serve?

That's great news for us as this is the first time we have tried Freedom Dining, could you tell me, now that the Ramblas has changed to the Glass House do they still serve tapas?? Thanks for all the new information.

Yes they still serve tapas but now they call them small plates and you can't eat them seated at the bar. They have dropped the olive and anchovy options as well. :mad:

Otherwise apart from the enomatic wine machine it is the same old Ramblas with a different name. No live spanish guitarist though. You can still buy beer and spirits as well as wine but they are not on the drinks menu.

apparently turnover has increased since the changes but as mentioned elsewhere this could be due to the Exchange being reduced in size and losing its lounge seating. Those preferring a quiet drink and chat will now find the Glass House the best option.

There is still the confusion about it NOT being a cover charge restaurant. It is not, although they persist in saying it is in the Horizon newslatter. You don't have to buy food, it is as simple as that. It is evening casual dress on formal nights as well.

Just returned from Ventura and a couple of interesting changes to report.

From today Saffron restaurant is offering freedom dining in addition to Cinnamon. Bay Tree will continue to be club dining.

Silver service has been dropped and the meals will now be plated. i do not know if this applies to all dining rooms or just the freedom ones.

So are you saying Saffron is totally freedom dining or are they mixing it up?

They did not hand out signed menus in the Saffron restaurant although they did in Bay Tree. I suppose they may not do this with freedom dining.

There was a distinct lack of smoked salmon on the menu and i did not see any in the salad selection in Waterside.

Never spotted any kippers for breakfast either in Waterside although they appeared in the Plaza on Oceana.

no Olives either but that is a long term gripe with me. Cruise to a Spanish/Med area and not a olive in sight, ridiculous. Perhaps the brits don't like olives :confused:

They did not hand out signed menus in the Saffron restaurant although they did in Bay Tree. I suppose they may not do this with freedom dining.

There was a distinct lack of smoked salmon on the menu and i did not see any in the salad selection in Waterside.

Never spotted any kippers for breakfast either in Waterside although they appeared in the Plaza on Oceana.

no Olives either but that is a long term gripe with me. Cruise to a Spanish/Med area and not a olive in sight, ridiculous. Perhaps the brits don't like olives :confused:

I sure love Olives :D So they are cuttting on the cost with no Salmon oh dear we on Azura soon My wife lives on Salmon hope they have some onboard?

We were on 1st sitting in the Saffron and got signed menus.

There was smoked salmon in the buffet some lunchtimes but only very occasionally did I see any Olives and these were in salads. Smoked Mackerel was on every day which I actually prefer to salmon for lunch.

Sue

We were on 1st sitting in the Saffron and got signed menus.

There was smoked salmon in the buffet some lunchtimes but only very occasionally did I see any Olives and these were in salads. Smoked Mackerel was on every day which I actually prefer to salmon for lunch.

Sue

I was on first sitting in Saffron and we didn't!

I sure love Olives :D So they are cuttting on the cost with no Salmon oh dear we on Azura soon My wife lives on Salmon hope they have some onboard?

Plenty of smoked salmon on Aurora. Last month.

BTW why should going to the med have anything to do with olives as all the stores are taken on at Southampton.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on first sitting in Saffron and we didn't!

It must have been down to your waiters then. Thinking about it we have always had the menus even on Freedom dining. The meal where the menus were given out was the parade of the chefs but it was also the night where pax were skipping courses to get to the West End Men show.

Sue

It must have been down to your waiters then. Thinking about it we have always had the menus even on Freedom dining. The meal where the menus were given out was the parade of the chefs but it was also the night where pax were skipping courses to get to the West End Men show.

Sue

....or to get their meal finished and get out before everything stopped for the chefs parade.

Plenty of smoked salmon on Aurora. Last month.

BTW why should going to the med have anything to do with olives as all the stores are taken on at Southampton.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you really sure they DONT RESTOCK at each port they stop at.If not the fresh items must have a really good shelf life for a two week cruise.And what about the four week plus cruises inc worldwide 92 days etc.do you really think they put all the supplies on board at Southampton to last the duration of the cruise,no matter how long the duration.I think not THEY MUST be restocking at other ports,otherwise it would be a logistical nightmare for the stores staff responsible!:rolleyes:

So why cant they take onboard Olives etc at a med port?

Micky.

Are you really sure they DONT RESTOCK at each port they stop at.If not the fresh items must have a really good shelf life for a two week cruise.And what about the four week plus cruises inc worldwide 92 days etc.do you really think they put all the supplies on board at Southampton to last the duration of the cruise,no matter how long the duration.I think not THEY MUST be restocking at other ports,otherwise it would be a logistical nightmare for the stores staff responsible!:rolleyes:

So why cant they take onboard Olives etc at a med port?

Micky.

I have been informed that all the menus and food supplies are decided by head office and the reason why black and green olives are not available to accompany salads is because HQ say no. I was also told that the majority of the food is sourced centrally so they don't take on fresh local products during the cruise.

as for world cruise, yes, they do restock but apparently with food sent from their central distribution centre, wherever that is.

Archived