News from Ventura

davecttr

Plenty of smoked salmon on Aurora. Last month.

BTW why should going to the med have anything to do with olives as all the stores are taken on at Southampton.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hardly any smoked salmon on Ventura this month.

Why olives on a med cruise? Because olives are an integral part of a meditteranean diet and i would have thought regional food variations depending on the cruise itinery would be a good thing.

Or perhaps P&O are pandering to the traditionalist brits who think all foreign food is muck anyway ;)

Are you really sure they DONT RESTOCK at each port they stop at.If not the fresh items must have a really good shelf life for a two week cruise.And what about the four week plus cruises inc worldwide 92 days etc.do you really think they put all the supplies on board at Southampton to last the duration of the cruise,no matter how long the duration.I think not THEY MUST be restocking at other ports,otherwise it would be a logistical nightmare for the stores staff responsible!:rolleyes:

So why cant they take onboard Olives etc at a med port?

Micky.

No they take it all on in Southampton even for long cruises.

Gan Canny

Dai

Hardly any smoked salmon on Ventura this month.

Why olives on a med cruise? Because olives are an integral part of a meditteranean diet and i would have thought regional food variations depending on the cruise itinery would be a good thing.

Or perhaps P&O are pandering to the traditionalist brits who think all foreign food is muck anyway ;)

My point is that because it is all taken on at Southampton it does not matter where the ship goes.

I love olives.

I have to say considering all the international restaurants we have in this country the British are not afraid of foreign food. Anyway we have Asian fusion restaurants on 3 ships and Italian as well.

Gan Canny

Dai

World cruises are replenished at strategic points by containers shipped out from Southampton.

On Oriana, two or three years ago, one of the freezers was not working. On our last stop at Lisbon, there were three freezer trucks that had travelled out from the UK, with additional supplies for the two days back to Southampton. One was rumoured to contain just ice cream.

Royal Caribbean replenish all their ships in Europe with supplies shipped out from the USA.

Brian

My point is that because it is all taken on at Southampton it does not matter where the ship goes.

I love olives.

I have to say considering all the international restaurants we have in this country the British are not afraid of foreign food. Anyway we have Asian fusion restaurants on 3 ships and Italian as well.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai,

Can I ask, how many world cruises or legs of a world cruise have you done?

World cruises are replenished at strategic points by containers shipped out from Southampton.

On Oriana, two or three years ago, one of the freezers was not working. On our last stop at Lisbon, there were three freezer trucks that had travelled out from the UK, with additional supplies for the two days back to Southampton. One was rumoured to contain just ice cream.

Royal Caribbean replenish all their ships in Europe with supplies shipped out from the USA.

Brian

We joined Arcadia at Cape Town a couple of years ago. We were surprised to see small milk cartons appear in the buffet restaurant from a South African dairy.

Brian

Caribbean cruises are restocked at both Barbados and St Lucia

Haha that's funny... think about how much would have to be taken on in Southampton for a 90+ day world cruise!

VP

Perhaps you should Lean to read I said long cruise not world cruises. However the ships are restocked abroad using containers direct from Southampton, when on a long cruise. A proportion of the stores are taken on at Southampton even for world cruises. Remember they are well used to doing this.

The long cruises are the 23/25/35 night ones mainly to the Americas.

The cold storage on Oriana and Aurora are sufficient for world cruising, they were built that way. There has been some problems with the change from Oriana to Arcadia as she was not built with so much storage.

Gan Canny

Dai

Brian

Yes it is all to do with having control over the quality of the supplies being used and as has been said this is common practice over the cruise industry.

Gan Canny

Dai

Perhaps you should Lean to read I said long cruise not world cruises. However the ships are restocked abroad using containers direct from Southampton, when on a long cruise. A proportion of the stores are taken on at Southampton even for world cruises. Remember they are well used to doing this.

The long cruises are the 23/25/35 night ones mainly to the Americas.

The cold storage on Oriana and Aurora are sufficient for world cruising, they were built that way. There has been some problems with the change from Oriana to Arcadia as she was not built with so much storage.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai B

In answer to your answer to Vampire parrot telling him/her to learn to read maybe you need to try to read other post entries as well correctly! as you answered me earlier in this post to my post dated 13/10 telling me No ITS ALL TAKEN ON AT SOUTHAMPTON after I had said this cant be possible and I clearly mentioned all cruise durations including world ones.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Dai. I didn't realise that a world cruise wasn't actually a long cruise. My first voyage was in 1965 on the RMS Queen Elizabeth so I guess I've still got a lot to learn. :rolleyes:

VP

You seen to delight in stirring, I wonder why?

For all cruises from Southampton the stores are taken on there. If any other stores are needed they are sent from Southampton in containers to restock. They do not restock on cruises up to 25/28 days.

Gan Canny

Dai

Ventura has the noisiest cabins on P&O. they are the single cabins on F deck that were fitted during the last refit. When the ship is underway they creak a lot, an awful lot and can be so noisy that the occupant can't sleep. Not recommended and IMO poor value for money.

I suspect that this may be a general problem when cabins are introduced where cabins were not intended to be. On the other hand, Azura has cabins in the same location which have always been there. Do these suffer from the same problem? If they do then it is probably a design issue. If not, it is probably shoddy workmanship, or doing it on the cheap. Would be interesting to get the views of Azura single cabin passengers.

You seen to delight in stirring, I wonder why?

For all cruises from Southampton the stores are taken on there. If any other stores are needed they are sent from Southampton in containers to restock. They do not restock on cruises up to 25/28 days.

Gan Canny

Dai

On the Aurora world cruise this year we started off from Southampton being served UK brand jams but soon after San Francisco we were being served American Grape Jelly! Where was that put on the ship?

On the Aurora world cruise this year we started off from Southampton being served UK brand jams but soon after San Francisco we were being served American Grape Jelly! Where was that put on the ship?

Flown by air from San Francisco to Heathrow; taken by truck from Heathrow to Southampton; put in a container for shipping to San Francisco so it's ready to be take aboard by Aurora.....and it can then be said to be sourced in England...? ;)

Dai is correct in that as much food/drink as possible is sourced in the UK & shipped out ready to be taken aboard on a long/world cruise but there are exceptions for some"simple" items as jam, and also for food/drink that would have originally come from another country anyway, e.g. Australian wine...

VP

Flown by air from San Francisco to Heathrow; taken by truck from Heathrow to Southampton; put in a container for shipping to San Francisco so it's ready to be take aboard by Aurora.....and it can then be said to be sourced in England...? ;)

VP

Well I wish they wouldn't bother - it's disgusting :(

How do they keep lettuce fresh? You cant freeze it, pickle it or dry it and it lasts about 10 days in my fridge on a good day. Surely they must take that on locally unless they fly it out.

I'm impressed they send food out from Southampton, interesting.

Archived