Which is better? Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

happyprecious

When we first started cruising, we chose Carnival mainly based on cost. Times have changed for us and now we cruise based on itinerary and perceived value. On our last cruise, we discussed this, and all four of us seemed to be pretty much in agreement. Granted we have only been on one NCL ship and one RCCL ship. So my opinions are based on first impressions.

Cabin Size - CCL

Oceanview cabins - Carnival is definitely the biggest. NCL Pearl's oceanview cabin was slightly larger than my walk in closet. It was really tight. RCCL Jewel was somewhere in between Carnival and NCL. Room layout was more roomy on carnival as well. Carnivals' balcony cabins are the same size as the oceanview.

Bed comfort - CCL

We prefer Carnival's bed for comfort as well as their bedding. On the Jewel of the seas, the bed was more of a cot with a thin mattress. I has springs poking me in the back. In our boys room next door, two of the beds also had the same problem (they had a quad)

Seating in room - RCCL

RCCL's sofa is much more comfortable. Carnivals sofa is hard. NCL Pearl didn't have a sofa (couldn't fit an extra chair in the room either)

Room electrical outlets - NCL

NCL Pearl has many outlets (5 or six separate outlets I believe). RCCL Jewel of the Seas had two. Carnival had one. NCCL wins this one. Tip: if you go on Carnival, bring an outlet adapter.

Bathrooms - NCL

NCL has the best layout and largest shower and best water pressure. Carnivals plastic shower curtain tends to cling to you. RCCL shower is so small, you need to get creative to shave your legs.

Main Dining Room - CCL

We prefer Carnival. The food quality on Carnival and RCCL was exactly the same in our opinion. However the service on every carnival ship was better than RCCL. Also the portions are a little larger on Carnival. We did not like the MDR on NCL. It is very pretty, but the wait staff is not accomodating and the quality was lower than on Carnival, in our opinion.

Buffet - RCCL

RCCL has a wide open buffet. The area flows very nicely and has a larger selection than the other cruise lines.

Pay restaurants - NCL

NCL takes the cake here. They have so many choices for a reasonable price. The quality of the pay food on NCL was fantasitc. When we cruise NCL again, we will plan on pay restaurants every night. RCCL Italian restaurant was good. We didn't care for the food at the steakhouse. Maybe because we live in TX and are accustomed to getting a great steak.

Decor - NCL

NCL Pearl was very calm like a hotel as was the RCCL Jewel of the Seas. Carnival is very much like Atlantic City or Vegas, in your face and loud. However Carnival has the best atriums. RCCL was small, NCL was like a hotel entrance. Good and bad in all cruise lines.

Adult Pool/Serenity - CCL

We like Carnivals because it was outside. We love the sun, so Carnival was top on our list. RCCL Jewel of the Seas was beautiful, but the pool is in the solarium. It was hot and humid in the pool area. NCL Pearl adult pool area was right next to the main pool, only feet away. Kids were running back and forth.

Waterslides - CCL

Carnival has waterslides on every ship. Some ships have water parks. We like that. NCL also had a waterslide, but it was very small and slow. This was meant for children only. RCCL only had a small waterslide in the tot area.

Enterainment - NCL

NCL had the best variety of entertainment. RCCL's entertainment was the best quality. CCL - cheesy.

Other activities - NCL

We liked the bowling on the NCL Pearl. That was super fun. We were bowling one night in rough seas...think drunk bowling. It was crazy, the ball was rolling back and forth on its way down the alley. We also liked NCL's sports court the best. It was larger and on the back of the ship. They had a small sided soccer tournament when we were on the ship. Had a great time. RCCL has the climbing Rockwall. This was a hit with some of the kids. RCCL also has self-leveling pool tables which is great beacuse the balls stay put. RCCL's newer ships have many activities, but I can't comment on them.

Customer Service - NCL

NCL was top notch. On our cruise we booked a cabin that showed two bunk beds. The room actually had one bunk and a trundle bed. Problem was that the room was so small, when you opened the trundle you had one king bed and one bunk. We went to customer service to discuss the difference in their website vs the room. Since they had a no-show, they gave us a second oceanview room complementary. Way to go NCL. The NCL staff even apologized for the complementary additional room having an obstructed view. So they sent a bottle of wine. Our room attendands were also the best on NCL. Carnival is lacking in customer service overall. I have to say theirs was the lowest.

Overall Impression/Value - CCL or NCL

Carnival for the overall value (not price) or NCL for the overall customer service.

We like Carnivals lively atmosphere. NCL is much more laid back and relaxed, which was great too. Our RCCL cruise had a much more "stuffy" crowd. RCCL is more formal and we are a casual family. My opinion is, I get dressed up for work, when I'm on vacation, I want to relax. Many people like to dress up, but its not our thing.

We chose RCCL Jewel of the Seas for our last cruise over Carnival Valor because of the ports. However, the RCCL stuffyness, terrible mattresses, and extra $4,000 over Carnival Valor (similar itinerary) for two oceanview rooms was not worth it to us. You only have one chance to make a first impression, and for RCCL their impression was not a good one. We were planning another cruise on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas, but changed our minds after our JOS experience. We may try it again. We may not.

NCL doesn't have as many ships in the caribbean during June, which is when we typically cruise. However we would definatly take a NCL cruise again should the ports and timing work out. The customer service is top notch and the specialty restaurants are awesome.

We wish Carnival would get some new port or switch up their itinerary. The itineraries are getting boring and lacking luster. But for the value, CCL is a top contender.

When we first started cruising, we chose Carnival mainly based on cost. Times have changed for us and now we cruise based on itinerary and perceived value. On our last cruise, we discussed this, and all four of us seemed to be pretty much in agreement. Granted we have only been on one NCL ship and one RCCL ship. So my opinions are based on first impressions.

Cabin Size - CCL

Oceanview cabins - Carnival is definitely the biggest. NCL Pearl's oceanview cabin was slightly larger than my walk in closet. It was really tight. RCCL Jewel was somewhere in between Carnival and NCL. Room layout was more roomy on carnival as well. Carnivals' balcony cabins are the same size as the oceanview.

Bed comfort - CCL

We prefer Carnival's bed for comfort as well as their bedding. On the Jewel of the seas, the bed was more of a cot with a thin mattress. I has springs poking me in the back. In our boys room next door, two of the beds also had the same problem (they had a quad)

Seating in room - RCCL

RCCL's sofa is much more comfortable. Carnivals sofa is hard. NCL Pearl didn't have a sofa (couldn't fit an extra chair in the room either)

NCL Pearl has many outlets (5 or six separate outlets I believe). RCCL Jewel of the Seas had two. Carnival had one. NCCL wins this one. Tip: if you go on Carnival, bring an outlet adapter.

Bathrooms - NCL

NCL has the best layout and largest shower and best water pressure. Carnivals plastic shower curtain tends to cling to you. RCCL shower is so small, you need to get creative to shave your legs.

Main Dining Room - CCL

We prefer Carnival. The food quality on Carnival and RCCL was exactly the same in our opinion. However the service on every carnival ship was better than RCCL. Also the portions are a little larger on Carnival. We did not like the MDR on NCL. It is very pretty, but the wait staff is not accomodating and the quality was lower than on Carnival, in our opinion.

Buffet - RCCL

RCCL has a wide open buffet. The area flows very nicely and has a larger selection than the other cruise lines.

Pay restaurants - NCL

NCL takes the cake here. They have so many choices for a reasonable price. The quality of the pay food on NCL was fantasitc. When we cruise NCL again, we will plan on pay restaurants every night. RCCL Italian restaurant was good. We didn't care for the food at the steakhouse. Maybe because we live in TX and are accustomed to getting a great steak.

Decor - NCL

NCL Pearl was very calm like a hotel as was the RCCL Jewel of the Seas. Carnival is very much like Atlantic City or Vegas, in your face and loud. However Carnival has the best atriums. RCCL was small, NCL was like a hotel entrance. Good and bad in all cruise lines.

We like Carnivals because it was outside. We love the sun, so Carnival was top on our list. RCCL Jewel of the Seas was beautiful, but the pool is in the solarium. It was hot and humid in the pool area. NCL Pearl adult pool area was right next to the main pool, only feet away. Kids were running back and forth.

Waterslides - CCL

Carnival has waterslides on every ship. Some ships have water parks. We like that. NCL also had a waterslide, but it was very small and slow. This was meant for children only. RCCL only had a small waterslide in the tot area.

Enterainment - NCL

NCL had the best variety of entertainment. RCCL's entertainment was the best quality. CCL - cheesy.

Other activities - NCL

We liked the bowling on the NCL Pearl. That was super fun. We were bowling one night in rough seas...think drunk bowling. It was crazy, the ball was rolling back and forth on its way down the alley. We also liked NCL's sports court the best. It was larger and on the back of the ship. They had a small sided soccer tournament when we were on the ship. Had a great time. RCCL has the climbing Rockwall. This was a hit with some of the kids. RCCL also has self-leveling pool tables which is great beacuse the balls stay put. RCCL's newer ships have many activities, but I can't comment on them.

Customer Service - NCL

NCL was top notch. On our cruise we booked a cabin that showed two bunk beds. The room actually had one bunk and a trundle bed. Problem was that the room was so small, when you opened the trundle you had one king bed and one bunk. We went to customer service to discuss the difference in their website vs the room. Since they had a no-show, they gave us a second oceanview room complementary. Way to go NCL. The NCL staff even apologized for the complementary additional room having an obstructed view. So they sent a bottle of wine. Our room attendands were also the best on NCL. Carnival is lacking in customer service overall. I have to say theirs was the lowest.

Carnival for the overall value (not price) or NCL for the overall customer service.

We like Carnivals lively atmosphere. NCL is much more laid back and relaxed, which was great too. Our RCCL cruise had a much more "stuffy" crowd. RCCL is more formal and we are a casual family. My opinion is, I get dressed up for work, when I'm on vacation, I want to relax. Many people like to dress up, but its not our thing.

We chose RCCL Jewel of the Seas for our last cruise over Carnival Valor because of the ports. However, the RCCL stuffyness, terrible mattresses, and extra $4,000 over Carnival Valor (similar itinerary) for two oceanview rooms was not worth it to us. You only have one chance to make a first impression, and for RCCL their impression was not a good one. We were planning another cruise on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas, but changed our minds after our JOS experience. We may try it again. We may not.

NCL doesn't have as many ships in the caribbean during June, which is when we typically cruise. However we would definatly take a NCL cruise again should the ports and timing work out. The customer service is top notch and the specialty restaurants are awesome.

We wish Carnival would get some new port or switch up their itinerary. The itineraries are getting boring and lacking luster. But for the value, CCL is a top contender.

I actually think this is a fair assessment. However, guest service and the service in General has been very accommodating on carnival

We have sailed each 7 times.We are not smokers and since RCCL has eliminated balcony smoking we will be sailing them exclusively for we spend a lot of balcony time but have been kept inside often by smokers on adjacent balconies, if that matters to you.

Cabin Size - CCL

Bed comfort - CCL

Seating in room - RCCL

Bathrooms - NCL

Main Dining Room - CCL

Buffet - RCCL

Pay restaurants - NCL

Decor - NCL

Waterslides - CCL

Enterainment - NCL

Other activities - NCL

Customer Service - NCL

That was an impartial review indeed.

One of these days (years?), maybe 2015, me and Mrs. want to try out NCL's newer ship (Gateway? Breakaway?), many specialty restaurants.

Like many posters indicated, a lot depends on one's phase of life at a certain point in time. We did the Allure last year, it was enjoyable too. Yes, I did spend a bit more to be on the Allure, high season has something to do with it. Junior was with us on that trip, spending quality time with family ... priceless. Now Junior is in university (work/study co-op stream) me and Mrs. think RCL's smaller Jewel class ships might suit us better, which we are thinking of doing 2015/2016.

We'll be on the Breeze in December, I got a feeling we are going to enjoy that too.

All the best!

False. Unless you define better as rooms as small as my closet

Which category and which ship? While it's true that the lower categories are still bigger on Carnival, anything higher than a standard oceanview stateroom puts Carnival to shame. I won't even compare perks for those traveling in suites. That is truly shame inducing for Carnival.

I forget. I am not familiar with royal since they are my last choice of cruise line. Carnival is the best. Yay, go carnival!

I can't say I've ever been been unfamiliar with a cruise product I've tried, but I certainly always knew what I bought into.

IMHO...why be loyal to any line? Are they loyal to you? How can they be, they are a product that you purchase. Be a wise consumer and do your research, not particularly on the cruise line but the cruise ships that meet your other requirements (embarkation port, itinerary, timing, size, price, etc.). Almost everything else is subjective. You can compare 2 ships in the same line and have vastly different products being offered (ie Inspiration vs Breeze or Monarch of the Seas vs Allure).

We figure out what we want out of OUR vacation first. We filter down our choices based on those wants. We then compare what the ships we've narrowed it down to have to offer that WE enjoy vs the price to see which is the better value for us. I'm sorry to say that RCCL has not made the final cut after 11 cruises. It's not that I don't want to try them, it's just that when comparing them to the other ships that meet OUR wants, the value for US has always been with another ship. It is all completely subjective based on what we want out of that vacation.

I am not going to try to convince you to sail Carnival...my cruise in 2 days is on NCL. We have enjoyed all of our cruises on CCL. But I am not you and I do not know what you enjoy doing on a cruise. It could be totally different from what I enjoy doing on a cruise. I do suggest that you ignore opinions on food, service, and entertainment when planning a first cruise on any line (not necessarily the options, but the opinions) For example, you may like full production shows or more choices in speciality restaurants or traditional dining so you would give more consideration to the ships with those items. The other stuff is highly subjective and the best opinion for you is your own if you decide to try it based on the other the things the ship has to offer you...

You can compare 2 ships in the same line and have vastly different products being offered (ie Inspiration vs Breeze or Monarch of the Seas vs Allure).

I agree. You can take it one step further and say that you can compare 2 cabins on the same ship and you'll have vastly different products.

Inside on royal. Adventure of the seas

As Turtlecrossing1 mentioned above, his inside cabin on the Adventure of the Seas was smaller than on Carnival, but look what would've happened had he gone for a higher category. Here's a comparison between the Adventure of the Seas and Carnival Victory, built within months of each other:

INSIDE

• Adventure(K): 134 sq ft
  • Victory(4): 185 sq ft

OCEANVIEW

• Adventure(F): 211 sq ft
  • Victory(6): 220 sq ft

BALCONY

• Adventure(D1): 202 sq ft (+ 50 sq ft)
  • Victory(8): 185 sq ft (+ 35 sq ft)

JUNIOR SUITE

• Adventure(JS): 277 sq ft (+ 78 sq ft)
  • Victory(OS): 275 sq ft (+ 65 sq ft)

TOP SUITE

• Adventure(RS): 1,188 sq ft (+170 sq ft) Perks: Priority check-in, Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships, Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available, Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.), VIP pool deck seating, where available, Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining, Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships, Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids, Complimentary luggage valet service, Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard, Complimentary pressing service on formal night, Priority departure with exclusive suite* departure lounge featuring continental breakfast
  • Victory(GS): 345 sq ft (+ 85 sq ft) Perks: Priority Check-In

So even on the same ship, the experience can vary greatly. Had TurtleCrossing1 sailed on something besides an inside cabin, his experience may have been considerably different.

Just got off Independence of the seas we have been on Ncl Epic also been on Carnival Breeze,Legend and Miracle going on the Splendor in may. Enjoyed all of the cruises but for pure quality The Epic was the best by Far.

The buffet was great the mdr was good the entertainment was excellent the drink prices around the med were the best I have ever had. Toilets take a little bit getting used to in the rooms but once that is out of the way then it is great.

Then I think RCCL independence of the seas came second purely for the entertainment music up on deck with a DJ and also a really good band called Rock the Boat and the ice shows food was good but not so much in the Mdr, poolside bbq really good.

Then Carnival went on the breeze last year around the Med very nice because it was a new ship entertainment though really lacking on our first cruise the entertainment was good something on every night these days everything has been cut back to the bone.

IMHO...why be loyal to any line? Are they loyal to you? How can they be, they are a product that you purchase. Be a wise consumer and do your research, not particularly on the cruise line but the cruise ships that meet your other requirements (embarkation port, itinerary, timing, size, price, etc.). Almost everything else is subjective. You can compare 2 ships in the same line and have vastly different products being offered (ie Inspiration vs Breeze or Monarch of the Seas vs Allure).

For the same reason people are loyal to brands...Ford vs Chevy. BMW vs Mercedes..... Delta vs United. The fact is people are loyal to single lines or brands...that does not make a particular company better, better is subjective.

Thought this was an interesting thread, especially since we just got off CCL Glory and daughter got off RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

We each had wonderful trips.

Minor, but surprising differences:

escargot - CCL yes while RCCL no (told there was a shortage)

towel animals - CCL every night while RCCL none (said designer was on vacation that week)

chocolate on pillow - CCL every night while RCCL none

soft ice cream machine - CCL plentiful, many machines RCCL only 1 machine that was broken for 2 days (maybe she missed the others, surely they have more than 1 machine)

We are really more frequent RCCL cruisers. But this is the second time on Glory and loved each cruise. We have had one really bad carnival cruise… 5 night after 2 night from Miami… chip was full of smoke! Never had a bad RCCL cruise.

I'd give RCCL the winner on shows and activiites. Enjoyed the family comedy shows on CCL.

Carnival wins on price!

I'll render my opinion when I come back from my first RCCL cruise this Christmas. We "strayed" this summer to NCL's Breakaway, and had a great experience - so much so that we purchased a future cruise certificate! Got a great casino price, and just got another offer for a free cabin (inside - but we will upgrade to balcony for a minimal charge, as we did on Breakaway) when we decide which NCL cruise to take this summer. I love CCL, but am getting slightly bored with the shows, entertainment, ports, menus. (at least on RCCL we are hitting 2 "new" ports for us - Falmouth, Jamaica (yes, we have been to Ochos Rios 4x with CCL, but at least we have a lot of new excursions to chose from) and Labadee, Haiti.

Archived