I may rock the boat here!

liverpoollad

after 16 cruises i put Russ on top, then Eric and then Tony. All are good but Russ's energy at "White Nights' is amazing! He also spends more time with guests in general. might be 3 minutes pers cruise but you know he is there.

Robin, so agree with you about Russ.

Being a veteran of more than 30 cruises, I commented to DH on our last Quest cruise that I thought Russ was the best CD I have ever seen.

Gill

Robin, so agree with you about Russ.

no matter how busy he is! he always takes time to act like you are the most important person on the cruise! :D he also dance wih the guests at White Nights- no one esle does!:eek:

Being a veteran of more than 30 cruises, I commented to DH on our last Quest cruise that I thought Russ was the best CD I have ever seen.

Gill

so agree:D

Hi Hazel,

Glad that you are having a good time! Have you found things closing down for the winter? How has the weather been?

Can't wait to get on board.

Pam

The odd shop was closed but most things were open everywhere.

Weather variable to be honest but fortunately any rain occurred at night. We were able to have White Night on deck last night when we were in Cannes

If you are expecting Led Zeppelin songs blasting away you may be dissapointed!

Adjust your expectations and you will have a very enjoyable cruise.:D

Indeed I had made the wrong assumption Liverpool + retired = The Fab 4 and Mr Marsden

Hi We have only sailed on Azamara once before, we sail again in November, can't wait!!!!!

We found on our particular cruise that the disco was the liveliest dance floor of all our many cruises, mostly on 2000 passengers plus ships. The DJ actually played what people wanted to dance to, which you would think is the norm but has not been our experience!!!! on other ships. Jean

This will be our first Azamara cruise on the Quest in a couple of months.

I know what you mean by the DJ not playing songs that we (ahem) more mature folks can dance to on most other cruise lines. Either that or they don't get started until midnight.

We love to dance so hearing this about Azamara is good news. :D

We are not really interested in meeting the Captain as he is there to run the ship, so that won't matter to us.

Kind of like Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, after winning the cruise on the QE2 and invited to dinner at the Captains table. "Great! We win the cruise and now they expect us to eat with the help!" :D

We also didn't think that meeting the Captain was a big deal out of the 20 some cruises we have been on. However, we have found that the Captain does set the tone for the rest of the staff. A good personable Captain that loves his job and the people he serves passes that on to the people that are under him.

We have had three wonderful Captains that were personable and out front talking to the guests and those were some of the most memorable. Not so much because we met the Captain, but the staff was also very happy and eager to please. It seemed everyone had the same goal in mind. We are going to treat these folks as special friends and do everything we can to make sure they enjoy themselves to the point they will be anxious to see us again.

Then there was the reverse. On one particular cruise on another line with the initials HAL. The Captain was not present at all. At embarkation, he ran the mandatory life boat drill like a tyrant. Instead of feeling like a guest onboard, you basically got lectured to and threatened. We hardly ever heard from him or saw him again, which was fine with us. However, we also noted that the crew seemed to be very unhappy and almost fearful. We think he ran the ship and treated his staff in much the same way, he addressed his guests on that very first day.

Just my two cents worth!

Kind of like Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances, after winning the cruise on the QE2 and invited to dinner at the Captains table. "Great! We win the cruise and now they expect us to eat with the help!" :D

We also didn't think that meeting the Captain was a big deal out of the 20 some cruises we have been on. However, we have found that the Captain does set the tone for the rest of the staff. A good personable Captain that loves his job and the people he serves passes that on to the people that are under him.

We have had three wonderful Captains that were personable and out front talking to the guests and those were some of the most memorable. Not so much because we met the Captain, but the staff was also very happy and eager to please. It seemed everyone had the same goal in mind. We are going to treat these folks as special friends and do everything we can to make sure they enjoy themselves to the point they will be anxious to see us again.

Then there was the reverse. On one particular cruise on another line with the initials HAL. The Captain was not present at all. At embarkation, he ran the mandatory life boat drill like a tyrant. Instead of feeling like a guest onboard, you basically got lectured to and threatened. We hardly ever heard from him or saw him again, which was fine with us. However, we also noted that the crew seemed to be very unhappy and almost fearful. We think he ran the ship and treated his staff in much the same way, he addressed his guests on that very first day.

Just my two cents worth!

I think you are quite accurate in your assessment of the captain's influence onboard. Like you, meeting the captain is not the major deal to us, it's the friendly, or not so friendly tone he sets for the rest of the crew.

So far, on ACC that tone has been most welcoming.

"If bars are playing popular music, great, a bit of Led Zed & I'm happy"

Liverpoollad, you might struggle on Azamara for a bit of Led Zep, although if you're like me you'll have them and others on your iPod.

What I can reassure you is, the piped background music is reasonably decent, and you can often hear Dylan, Van Morrison, James Taylor, Paul Simon etc.

Albeit on a bit of a repetitive loop.

This is a considerable improvement over Celebrity who bombard you unlistenable Techno mumbo jumbo

Liverpoollad - thanks for responding to the many posts. I was beginning to think your original post was meant to stir things up. I thought the replies were very restrained. On some boards you would have been shot down in flames so you can see how nice Azamara people are.

cruisinsince75... I just don't get this Captain thing, on all our latest cruises we have always got past the dreaded meet the Captain & photos. As I have said I will find out why "The Captain" keeps popping up in reviews & why it is one of the main things.

norn-iron..... I was tongue in cheek regarding Led Zed, so I will make do with Nirvana!!

You mentioned piped music & all those mentioned I like, but is there any live music with say songs by The Eagles, Beatles, Rolling Stones & those you mentioned.

It will all depend who the duo/band on board is, but we have certainly enjoyed our share of Eagles, Beatles, Stones etc and often a fun 60s night.

I think one of the difference you will find is that the Captains, who are mentioned a lot, are not "icons" In fact I do not recall there being any line up for photo opportunities. What you have are Captains who are totally respected by their staff, who know all their staff personally, about their families etc and who have no airs and graces. They come into the café and just ask can I sit with you - no formality. They share information with you in very informative daily announcements, how many of us have learned about the ropes or exactly how the boat is coming off the pier and who will be "driving"

Anyway, as you rightly say you have to test it yourself, I think when you have been onboard, you will see what we mean, the problem I think we all have is explaining how its different to anyone who has not been onboard.

Look forward to hearing how it all goes for you

I probably can't get this across properly, but when the staff greeted us by saying "welcome home" when we came back from a long day of exploring, we felt that they were sincere, and yes, we felt at home.

Wah! I miss that feeling. :(

we all do! how about the goodbyes in the morning to:D

I probably can't get this across properly, but when the staff greeted us by saying "welcome home" when we came back from a long day of exploring, we felt that they were sincere, and yes, we felt at home.

Wah! I miss that feeling. :(

or call it your home away from home

or the captain and officers decide to staff an impromptu pier party when they realise 500 guests are all out sightseeing and will be back about the same time, this party included refreshments and the Jazz Orchestra and it was the Captain who was greeting everyone back personally (he did this as he took over the role of checking the IDs at the gangway)

Unfortunately the band combo that played at the pool and in the Looking Glass has gone the way of the harpists. The"live" music options that remain are a guitarist, a pianist and the DJ playing at night in the Looking Glass.

Unfortunately the band combo that played at the pool and in the Looking Glass has gone the way of the harpists. The"live" music options that remain are a guitarist, a pianist and the DJ playing at night in the Looking Glass.

Oh my, that is "slim pickings". I imagine that is why Azamara is not noted for it's entertainment.

Of all the replies I have received this is by far the most disappointing, to go on a cruise & not have a live band albeit part of the cruise orchestra, is very poor indeed.:mad:

I will be having a word with the Captain, surely with all the praise he gets he will listen to me.

Of all the replies I have received this is by far the most disappointing, to go on a cruise & not have a live band albeit part of the cruise orchestra, is very poor indeed.:mad:

I will be having a word with the Captain, surely with all the praise he gets he will listen to me.

Yes, please do! There will be some very important passengers on the Quest at Christmas, get that ship in tip top shape...:D:D:D

The rotating duo musicians that played at the pool and in the Looking Glass will be very much missed. They were generally good, but sometimes they didn't generate a lot of traffic. (In my view, this was because of the times that they were scheduled).

BUT, the Harpist was always an important and integral part of the refined Azamara experience. No one who was ever on an Azamara ship would have cancelled the harpists.

I assume that the cancellation was the act of some Buffoon (RCCL beancounter) in Miami who never set foot on an Azamara ship, and who probably determined that Azamara would dispense fewer "included" beverages if there was no music to listen to.

Some Azamara person needs to explain to the responsible individual that many passengers enjoy live music, and regard it as an expected part of the cruise experience. The harp music in particular was something I always looked forward to. If the music dies on Azamara, some passengers may find another line where the music lives on.

Please find a way to bring it back.

Just off Quest yesterday and had another fabulous cruise. I have to say that this was the liveliest cruise of all I have done. The Looking Glass was jumping until 2:30 am most nights and DJ Matt plays whatever music you request......probably even Led Zeppelin should someone ask for it! :D

I had only previously cruised with CD Tony Markey once before and wouldn't have rated him as equal to Russ but I have changed my mind now. He was fantastic this week and he spent over an hour talking to Hazel and myself about the direction Azamara was taking....very informative!

With regard to live music then Max Di Faz in the Cabaret Luxe is a great pianist. This time he also did a live guitar show and I absolutely loved it. The Quest Orchestra is very talented and we had a truly fantastic Azamazing evening with Three Tenors in the beautiful Theatro Goldoni in Livorno. The organisation for this event was perfect and the Tenors not only had wonderful voices but their little comedic touches were very amusing too. It was really a night to remember. I heard only praise from everyone for the whole event.

The Quest singers and dancers put on professional shows, Tony's One Man Show was very good indeed.....he has a great voice and the guest entertainers were apparently very good. We only caught about 10 minutes of Garin Baders show this time because of conflict with the timing of our Aqualina dinner but I have seen him before and he is very entertaining.

Yes it was sad to see Mary's Harp sitting their all lonely in Mosaic but I can say that live music is still very much alive and kicking on Quest.

Delighted to hear you have had a good cruise.

I have always thought Tony was an excellent CD, my view is they are all as good as each other, each has their strengths.

That's why I do not get involved in the "ranking posts" some cruisers make

My hope, if the harp is still there, is that the door is still open.......lets hope it is

I don't get this harpist thing, sure they are lovely to listen to & enjoyable, but entertainment??? And by the way I am a classical music fine.

What do the people that love Amazara, think now about their beloved ship??

One of the best things about cruises are the people you meet & I am sure this will be superb on the Quest, but what is there now to do at night(??) Just sitting & talking is fine but for 11 nights!! OK the drinks will help but I would prefer some good live entertainment that will want to make you party.

So,so disappointed, with all the smilies for the first time on a cruise where are the cryies.