Chops Grille- disappointed again!

Host Dan

Maybe my Chops dinner was the exception and not the norm, but what I want is a 1 inch thick steak. Anyone going on the AOS and Chops, please check it out for me let me know what they have.

Thanks

Ed

Dan, we were on this same cruise with you and we too had a terrible steak at Chops. Ordered medium and got, well, well done. Tough and could not eat. The waiter never asked how anything was. Seemed like a robot. She took order and was gone never to be seen again. Terrible experience.

We were on the same cruise too. We dined in Chops on the Friday evening at 6:30 pm. I also had the petit fillet mignon cooked medium rare and found it very moist and succulent. My husband and son both had the 16 oz filet mignon and were very satisfied with their steaks. However, I was disappointed at the range of appetizers and desserts, we much preferred those in the Main Dining room. Think overall the restaurant was much over-rated, although we got free OBC to use a speciality restaurant.

I keep reading these experiences on CC, so I was very apprehensive when I made reservations on the Oasis last month.

They were out of the petite filet, so I was forced to order the large one. Medium rare.

It was one of the best, tenderest, most flavorful steaks I have ever had.

I have eaten the Chops filet probably 20 or 30 times both in Chops and in the

MDR. I only have one question. Why would anyone order the petite, when the cost for the large is the same? Plus a thicker steak is always better than a thin steak if you like your steak on the rare side of the scale. To me the only reason to order a petite filet in Chops would be to order it well done, and then I would not want to eat it.:D

jc

PS. In all of those steaks the worst one I had was the first on the Radiance in 2001. It was good. Most are excellent and a few have been awesome.

PPS. I like steak...

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone that has received a bad steak complained and gotten a refund for the meal or been offered to come back another night for free? If I get something I don't like at a restaurant (on shore) I complain and usually get my meal replaced and get it for free! :D

I have also had the same experience as the OP. I've had a couple cuts of Filet from Chops that I really didn't believe it was a filet. Very tough, and strange texture.

I always order mine "Blue". Which should be cold center, lightly cooked outside.

They usually deliver it burnt on the outside and medium rare on the inside even though I tell them just pull it out of the fridge, touch it to the grill and send it out.:rolleyes:

My uncle was like that. but I think they are required to cook it MR minimum.

Our experience on EN was terrible.. food was semi decent but the service SUCKED.

so much so that we swore we'd never go back until we got on GR and succumbed to the Dining Package sales pitch.

what convinced us was the ability to eat Breakfast in Chops. service was way better so we went ahead and added Chops to the list. far superior all the way around although neither of us ordered the filets.

We had the new york strip and filet mignon. My partner loved her new york steak. It was perfectly prepared. I'm not a steak expert but I asked for my filet to be cooked medium. When I cut it, it was still pretty red with some blood. I asked for them to cook it more and the server told me that perhaps it would be best to order medium well next time since a medium filet will have some red and blood with it since it's so thick. Really??? I will do that if they are right?

They did take it, cook it longer and brought it back pink. I wasn't sure if he was just saying that so I would love to know what's correct.

Edited by slyster

Bob

The first thing that jumps out to me on your post- the feed. Industrial beef is fed corn, but naturally, cows eat grass. So saying "good old corn" is only recent and industrial based. I would figure you know that.

and I always prefer grass fed dead cow flesh. gotten to the point where I look for Wagyu and Kobe labeled grass fed for my 'better'( not every day)steaks.

you know, the ones I season well with fresh herbs and tons of garlic before making DH smoke or barbecue them...

I have eaten the Chops filet probably 20 or 30 times both in Chops and in the

MDR. I only have one question. Why would anyone order the petite, when the cost for the large is the same?

three words: No Doggy Bag. I cannot eat the larger one and I do not like to leave half my dinner on the plate. Mine have always been the same thickness as DHs, just smaller around.

Has anyone that has received a bad steak complained and gotten a refund for the meal or been offered to come back another night for free? If I get something I don't like at a restaurant (on shore) I complain and usually get my meal replaced and get it for free! :D

That would be the "right" thing to do, but I highly doubt its ever done.

Been to Chops six times. Three were phenomenal, and three were just....meh. Not inedible, but not what I would consider a "steakhouse experience." I think it is just very inconsistent. One of the phenomenal times was on the Freedom, as were two of the "meh" experiences.

May be different grades of meat depending on the class of ship? hmm..

Host Dan

Even a cheap cut of filet mignon would not be as you described. It sounds like they were trying to pass off something that was NOT beef tenderloin.

We also had the petit filets at Chops the first night of our Sept. 22 cruise. They were perfectly cooked, at least an inch thick but I think a bit more, tender and delicious. Moreover, since this was night one, there was the offer of "surf and turf" and my lobster was also delicious!

On Grandeur now ate in Chops Monday night and was very disappointed. Both of our filets were tough, chewy and tasteless. This is our third and probably last meal there. The grade of beef seems to have changed and is now a real disappointment in my opinion.

We had problems with the porterhouses in Feb 2012 on the Oasis. They cooked my husbands to the wrong temp (he ordered his medium) and brought out both of them medium rare (what I had asked for). Mine was tough and sinewy and I did not enjoy it at all. My husbands was a lot better but still lacked in flavor. I wrote it off as we are spoiled by higher end steak houses that serve dry aged beef or at a minimum prime. Chops does not make any claim about being prime. If it hadn't been a complimentary meal from our TA I would have asked for our money back.